Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Guys,

What have you found to be the ideal dedicated suppressed hunting rifle rig. This will be for general purpose hunting from Africa to Texas (eland to hogs). Custom or not does not matter, I just need some guidance and direction from those with much experience as I transition my arsenal over to suppressors. Thanks in advance, R

Judges 21:25
“Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

Liberal=liberated from God...How's that working out?
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I just got done building my "ultimate" suppressed rifle. It may not trip your trigger, but it is great for me.

Mine is a Tikka SS action, Bartlein 8.7" twist 7mm barrel, 20" Rem Varmint taper, 7 spiral flutes, chambered in 7-08AI, and threaded 5/8-24". I mounted it in a McMillan Game Hunter, edge fill, stock. It currently has RedSnake Tactical bottom metal and uses an AI MK1 magazine, but I am going to change that out for a Mountain Tactical OEM aluminum bottom metal and standard Tikka mags. The reason is that I don't like the magazine rattle (side-to-side) that I get with the current BM/mag setup. Finally, I have a Burris Veracity 3-15X50 scope on it. I like the Veracity because it has a good mix of hunting and "tactical" features. I like the capped turrets for hunting and the relatively clean reticle that is also pretty easy to use on 3X even though it is a FFP scope. As for durability, that remains to be seen, but I got it for a pretty solid price and if it ends up not working out for me, I will probably go with a NightForce SHV.

With a 162 grain Hornady ELD-X bullet, I would be comfortable shooting any North American game animal and all African plains game.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
something something .308 with a 20" proof, Thunderbeast can, and Nightforce on top

-JW
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Suppress your urge for suppressors.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Jwood1284
something something .308 with a 20" proof, Thunderbeast can, and Nightforce on top

Yup.
Sounds like what I would do.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Christensen Arms Ridgeline. 20" 308. Silencerco Omega. Leupold vx5hd 3-15. Case or two of 165 grain Federal Fusion.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Suppress your urge for suppressors.

I have got such bad tinnitus that I have to protect what hearing I have left. Also, having now hunted suppressed in Africa there is no way I can go back. I doubt if I will ever shoot/hunt with any of my rifles unsuppressed ever again. Really appreciate the comments from those with much more suppressor experience than myself.
R

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I set up a christensen ridgeline 6.5 20” barrel with nxs 3-15 for a bud recently. Super handy rifle. Accurate.

My advice about suppressor purchase is this.

When you buy them( note them not one) go ahead and do them all at the same time on a trust. I have 4 at home with 2 more on the way. The rimfire can is just silly fun and quiet.

Rimfire can is necessity, 30 cal can necessity

Do you need to suppress a big bore? Handgun?

Just buy them all at once and be done! You won’t regret that at all. Trust me

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'd go 18" if you can. My Montana with a Hart, suppressed is my ideal suppressed hunting rig.
16" .308
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
19" Kimber 7-08AI
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Do you like CRF or pushfeed?

A Shilen DGR (700 footprint) build using your choice of stock, trigger, barrel, magazine etc would be pretty easy to have dandy hunting rifles..

Buying more Tikkas is simpler.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

A Shilen DGR (700 footprint) build using your choice of stock, trigger, barrel, magazine etc would be pretty easy to have dandy hunting rifles..

Boomer,

As you know I love the tikkas but they don't seem optimal for shooting suppressed. The t3x lite would require an adapter to direct thread to my 5/8x24 suppressor. The CTR is heavy when attached to my suppressor with a decent scope. Probably could chop barrel, install lighter scope, or change out stock on the CTR. Just wanted to see what other guys are doing that primarily hunt suppressed. I will check out the shilen. Thx

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Rhettsker

Boomer,

As you know I love the tikkas but they don't seem optimal for shooting suppressed. The t3x lite would require an adapter to direct thread to my 5/8x24 suppressor. The CTR is heavy when attached to my suppressor with a decent scope. Probably could chop barrel, install lighter scope, or change out stock on the CTR. Just wanted to see what other guys are doing that primarily hunt suppressed. I will check out the shilen. Thx

You could chop your CTR to 17-18” and drop it into a lite stock, or a manners EHT, and run the plastic lite DBM. I doubt that setup would weigh much more than a proof barreled custom

I have a few tikkas right now, including a CTR at 18”. I also picked up a T3x SS lite in 6.5, but haven’t decided whether to chop and thread it or just run the CTR. My other two lites are 223 and a 243, at 16.5 and 18” threaded 1/2”-28. I run an adapter on them with a 6” long titanium can and that makes for a handy, light suppressed hunting rifle. I’ve had no problems with using the adapter, though like you I’d prefer to just have barrels that are threaded 5/8”

Guys running kimber montanas suppressed must be using adapters, to my knowledge the only ultralight rifle with 5/8” threads from the factory is the Barrett fieldcraft

If I was going custom I think I’d do something with a Bighorn Origin, a manners elite hunter stock, and a barrel in a Bartlein 3b or similar contour at 18” or so

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Walter,
That is great information and gives me a couple ideas I had not considered--thank you. My T3X lite is a 30-06 and Thunderbeast, among others, says no go with a 1/2x28 adapter. Be interested to know if you end up with the chopped CTR or the t3's with adapters. The adapters seem like a suboptimal solution if I am solely going to hunt suppressed moving forward. Maybe I am wrong? Really appreciate the comments/advice.
R

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Rhettsker
Walter,
That is great information and gives me a couple ideas I had not considered--thank you. My T3X lite is a 30-06 and Thunderbeast, among others, says no go with a 1/2x28 adapter. Be interested to know if you end up with the chopped CTR or the t3's with adapters. The adapters seem like a suboptimal solution if I am solely going to hunt suppressed moving forward. Maybe I am wrong? Really appreciate the comments/advice.
R

You know, it was soooo close on that T3X, for going straight 5/8-24 threads. I wonder if cutting back to 18 or 19 would have satisfied the smith that insisted it needed to go 1/2-28?

I personally see zero issue using an adapter. I am on my Montana and FN15, without issue with the Octane30. But, why do it if not needed from the start....

Are you looking to build a couple or few identical rifles in different calibers? I sure wouldn't want to hunt a CTR, a slim sporter would be the way to go.. Did you like the SWFA 3-9? Lotsa of questions, been wondering!

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 10/24/19.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak

Guys running kimber montanas suppressed must be using adapters, to my knowledge the only ultralight rifle with 5/8” threads from the factory is the Barrett fieldcraft

The Montana is an oddball, 7/16-28. The only adapter to 5/8-24 I could locate was Kimber's $45 solution.

Bought several adapter items from a a guy in Kansas with zero complaints. https://www.downrangeproductsco.com

--- Kid Rock 2022

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

You know, it was soooo close on that T3X, for going straight 5/8-24 threads. I wonder if cutting back to 18 or 19 would have satisfied the smith that insisted it needed to go 1/2-28?

I personally see zero issue using an adapter. I am on my Montana and FN15, without issue with the Octane30. But, why do it if not needed from the start....

Chopping a lite back doesn’t gain you much diameter, still have to go 1/2” or possibly 9/16”. I understand Rhettsker’s dilemma, Thunderbeast clearly says that 1/2” threads aren’t sufficient for .30 cal bore. The reason they say this is the resulting thin muzzle walls when threading larger bores 1/2”. Not so much that using adapters is bad, though an adapter does add another component to the mix that could result in a suppressor not being as concentric to the bore as it should be.

But like you said Boomer Kimber Montana’s come with 7/16” muzzle threads and we’ve all seen that many guys are using 1/2” threads with 6.5, 7mm, .30 cal bores. So obviously opinions vary on the issue of small muzzle thread and larger bores.

As I mentioned earlier, I use 1/2” threads on T3x lites in 223 and 243. No problems at all as the adapter I use and The muzzle threads are cut straight enough that everything lines up properly.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Based on my measurements with the t3x lite, even if I chop the barrel to 16.5”, i can only go with the 9/16 adapter. If I could go 5/8 problem solved but I cannot. I wish someone would a Tikka press fit like the fieldcraft- would make a fortune. Maybe chopping the ctr and dropping in a t3x lite stock is the best I can do?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Ok, just not enough tapper. Thanks.

Just saw this. You like the Tikka stock, trigger, mags?
https://criterionbarrels.com/products/prefits/tikka-pre-fit-barrel/

--- Kid Rock 2022

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
The prefits are certainly an option worth exploring. I have heard they are way back ordered (not sure if thats true). Love everything about the t3x except the suppressor issues. Also like the ctr except for the overall weight and magazine hanging down (not ideal for hunting).
R

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Those dB figures for the Thunder Beasts are impressive! Staying tuned.
Good luck.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (160user, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 50 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,420
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.