Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by watch4bear
1) It was the last thing she needed or wanted. She needed time out. Instead, she had to sell his guns.
2) She was not a big gun fan in the first place.
3) She had no idea what they were worth
4) She's a naturally suscpicious woman, and she had no idea if anyone was cheating her.

She sounds like a real peach.

Look, I'm comparing this to situations I know. Take my Dad. Dad died unexpectedly just before he turned 85. He had a will and he had nearly all his assets tagged with Mom's name on them as either a beneficiary or a co-signer. The day after his death, Mom sat me down and had me call a few phone numbers. After that, there were no big concerns about money.

My friend? He had a will. He had even gone so far as to specify how he wanted his funeral. However, as soon as he was in the ground, his widow had to start digging through the house. There was no master inventory. There was no good way to determine what was valuable and what was not. In the end, she had managed to fill one of the bedrooms with all of the stash with some pistols going over into another bedroom. All in all, it was a 3 month project to get everything catalogued and then another month or two before they were out to the LGS. I vaguely knew what he had-- to the point where I even volunteered one of my sons to babysit the house during the funeral. She got a neighbor instead.

There were things in that collection that only Bill Ruger and a handful of others would have understood. My friend knew Bill, and astonished him with some of his finds. You had to be around and know the inside scoop because there was no written provenance. I sat with the widow one night and explained about a half-dozen of the best finds to the best of my memory.

If this gun-as-an-investment thing could have worked, then the process of divestment should have started a good 5 years earlier while my friend still was able. He could have gotten top dollar for everything by calling around in his network of collectors. He could have probably kept a few treasures, and made written instructions on who to call. He could also have kept trading-- that was his real passion. However, he should have kept an eye out for steadily reducing his inventory. He should have also kept an inventory of what he had and done at least some estimate of what it was worth. Probably the worst loss of all was the fact that there was little or no written provenance on any of it. That's history that's lost.

As an example, there was this fellow he knew way back that asked him about becoming an engraver. My friend gave him some encouragement and later on received one of his earliest pieces. It was this gorgeous 38 special revolver-- stunning. I met the engraver once back in the early 80's. The guy's dead now, but his artistry made him a legend-- forget the name; it's been too long. Anyhow, there would be folks giving their eye teeth for an example of that guy's work. I pointed the piece out to the widow. She noted it on the inventory sheet. Lord only knows what it fetched, but I can guarantee it didn't get what it deserved. It's now out there floating around and no one knows who did it or what it is truly worth.

Tragic.

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Weapon acquisition [purchase/come into possession of] are investments in mental health, longevity, and top shelf nutrition through their use, to hell with what mans current or future dollar has to say about their worth. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
Weapon acquisition [purchase/come into possession of] are investments in mental health, longevity, and top shelf nutrition through their use, to hell with what mans current or future dollar has to say about their worth. smile

Your Super Grade Pre-64 .22 Hornet seems to have held it's value... grin

But, I agree with you. It's more than just the dollars...

DF

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

The selling of firearms, like most everything, the current market sets the price.

Be prepared to be offered substantially less than current market retail price when selling to gun shops, pawnshops, private gun 'flippers', versus selling to private collectors and gun enthusiasts. Resellers want / need to move them quickly and make as much profit on resale as reasonably possible and won't want to have their money tied up in slow/no sellers they have to price too high because they paid too much for.

The most impressive single collection of high quality 'investment' grade modern firearms (mostly hand guns) I ever saw in one place at the same time, bought to be resold, was piled up on a long line of end-to-end folding tables at a local pawnshop, being recorded into inventory.

None ever made it to the shop floor for sale to general public.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Can’t gouge, especially on a Norinco, without some dummy silly enough to pony up.

Granted, my opinion of the fat old fuggs waiting in line at Sportsman’s warehouse to buy up all the 22’s was quite low. Hope all the old bastids lost a fortune when Trump won. smile

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Anybody checked out the prices on some 1980’s era BMX bikes?

Kids bikes from 30-40 years ago are selling for some decent coin these days.

I'll take this one
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Sweet!
I had a Pro Racer back in the day. Wish I still had it with the original pad set.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
probably the best, most useful (actionable) information in the thread so far:

Originally Posted by Shaman
If this gun-as-an-investment thing could have worked, then the process of divestment should have started a good 5 years earlier while my friend still was able. He could have gotten top dollar for everything by calling around in his network of collectors. He could have probably kept a few treasures, and made written instructions on who to call. He could also have kept trading-- that was his real passion. However, he should have kept an eye out for steadily reducing his inventory. He should have also kept an inventory of what he had and done at least some estimate of what it was worth. Probably the worst loss of all was the fact that there was little or no written provenance on any of it. That's history that's lost.

As an example, there was this fellow he knew way back that asked him about becoming an engraver. My friend gave him some encouragement and later on received one of his earliest pieces. It was this gorgeous 38 special revolver-- stunning. I met the engraver once back in the early 80's. The guy's dead now, but his artistry made him a legend-- forget the name; it's been too long. Anyhow, there would be folks giving their eye teeth for an example of that guy's work. I pointed the piece out to the widow. She noted it on the inventory sheet. Lord only knows what it fetched, but I can guarantee it didn't get what it deserved. It's now out there floating around and no one knows who did it or what it is truly worth.

Last edited by Sycamore; 10/30/19.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Nothing to do with integrity in the least, and this idea that poverty equates integrity is ridiculous.

‘K Dude, everybody loves the guy peddling $2,000 Norincos at the gun show in an election year wink

I suppose there are circumstances where poverty CAN equate to integrity. I saw that in Africa, where a small minority of devout Christians and Muslims would refuse participating in corruption. Over here integrity is easy, over there refusing the income from bribes and theft can actually starve your children.

If Jesus Himself showed up in your gun store, would you sell Him a $350 Norinco for $2,000? According to Him, as you do for the least of folks is the same as doing it to Jesus.

you are not winning.
hint.
Go with God.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
More thoughts:

Get all your bequesting done before you're incapacitated. Give the pieces away that you mean to give away to relatives, etc. Don't let the vultures descend. I've seen so many buddies who've had their family heirlooms boosted by their distant relatives. Me? I got screwed on a massive collection of antique fishing gear that my Great Grandfather used back in the early 1900's. They all got sold off by great uncle who picked up $50 doing a garage sale. He also sold off his carpentry workshop for $75.

I have 2 sons that share my passion. My wife has a few pieces. I have a granddaughter who is starting to amass a collection at the age of 7. My two sons got together several years ago and decided that when the old man assumes ambient temperature, they'll keep the collection mostly intact and borrow from it as they see fit. Hopefully, by then I'll have a few more grandchildren on which to lavish firearm gifts.

If I suspected the gun cabinet was going to be raided after my demise, I'd sell the whole lot and deposit the proceeds in the bank.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Nothing to do with integrity in the least, and this idea that poverty equates integrity is ridiculous.

‘K Dude, everybody loves the guy peddling $2,000 Norincos at the gun show in an election year wink

I suppose there are circumstances where poverty CAN equate to integrity. I saw that in Africa, where a small minority of devout Christians and Muslims would refuse participating in corruption. Over here integrity is easy, over there refusing the income from bribes and theft can actually starve your children.

If Jesus Himself showed up in your gun store, would you sell Him a $350 Norinco for $2,000? According to Him, as you do for the least of folks is the same as doing it to Jesus.

You have leapt into the realm of the absurd, again. This is America, a capitalist society where anyone can spend their money as they choose. Items are on offer and the market is determined by what people will actually pay for that item. There are actually people out there who are successful enough to buy what they want when they want it, a concept that you apparently can't identify w/ .

As for jesus in the gunstore, I sold him a Jennings at full retail and suggested he turn it into a Norinco.

Food for thought on your value system and hypocrisy, why did you not take the funds w/ which you purchased your musket and kettle and donate them to the needy?

Judge not lest ye too be judged, Mahatma

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
anybody remember those 65dollar swedish mausers? or the 70dollar schmidt rubins? or the 60dollar sks's? or the 220 dollar sig p-6's?
- - - -
Good reminder, Ron. In 1962 I bought my first rifle through the Sears catalog for $13.95. It is a M95 Chilean Mauser and I bagged Mule and Coues deer with it for years in AZ
I will keep it as long as I live - period.

Bought a M96 Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55 for $50 a couple of years later, and it had a Weaver 4x scope on it. Fabulous cartridge - that design is over 100 years old and its performance stays up with the modern fancy-named stuff.

Eddystone Enfield in 30:06 for $25 and a nicely "sporterized" Rock Island Springfield with Redfield scope for $50 when I lived in Tempe - the Phoenix newspaper classifieds were a treasure trove in the 60s. There were some good old days.

And they'd mail them to you!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Items are on offer and the market is determined by what people will actually pay for that item.

Whats legal doesn't always have class. You're the $2,000 Norinco guy at the gunshow who nobody likes, I get that.

As for jesus in the gunstore, I sold him a Jennings at full retail and suggested he turn it into a Norinco.

Ya but how much did ya get him over a barrel for that Jennings? wink

Food for thought on your value system and hypocrisy

What hypocrisy?

....why did you not take the funds w/ which you purchased your musket and kettle and donate them to the needy?

A more apt statement would be why don't I sell them to fellow gun enthusiasts (my natural allies) for 600% of what I paid for them just because I can.

As for how much of our time and things should we give away, that's a personal thing. I've given quite a lot of both time and material stuff, others have given more, some less.

A side note on that 'Bess; I paid $1,100, it was a tremendous deal on a lightly used musket the guy assembled himself, and he has skills. A Rifle Shoppe one might be nicer, but until then its the nicest one I've seen cool

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sycamore
probably the best, most useful (actionable) information in the thread so far:

Originally Posted by Shaman

Thank you! I appreciate your appreciation.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I recently took a group of 50 kids shooting. It looked like most of them just wanted to get a pic to prove on Facebook that they did something. They all said they had fun and really enjoyed it but it didn't look like it to me. None of them really jumped right in. They didnt shoot much either, I bought way too much ammo.

When I was young kids would have been hurrying to be first in line and then begging for another turn. These kids just seemed more like they just wanted to do it once to say they did. They were well behaved and listened to the safety rules they just didn't seem to have the drive I thought they might.

Bb

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I recently took a group of 50 kids shooting. It looked like most of them just wanted to get a pic to prove on Facebook that they did something. They all said they had fun and really enjoyed it but it didn't look like it to me. None of them really jumped right in. They didnt shoot much either, I bought way too much ammo.

When I was young kids would have been hurrying to be first in line and then begging for another turn. These kids just seemed more like they just wanted to do it once to say they did. They were well behaved and listened to the safety rules they just didn't seem to have the drive I thought they might.

Bb

Unless they've grown up with parents that are into guns, all they've heard for the majority of their lives when they turn on the tv is that guns are evil and should be banned.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyhow, there would be folks giving their eye teeth for an example of that guy's work. I pointed the piece out to the widow. She noted it on the inventory sheet. Lord only knows what it fetched, but I can guarantee it didn't get what it deserved. It's now out there floating around and no one knows who did it or what it is truly worth.

A self centered woman that didn't care about guns and didn't need the money.

A dead guy who could care less

and broke guy lusting after said guns

got it grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My personal opinion is that you should buy nice rifles/shotguns/handguns because you enjoy having them, not because you think they're a good investment. That seems like a potentially very risky thing to do purely from an investment perspective.

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been pondering this a lot lately. I’m not 60 yet but I know the right thing to do is let some of my stuff go eventually. I’ve collected and enjoyed guns since my first 30-30. Now some 40 years later I’m sitting on a pretty nice hoard. I don’t shoot most of them but still enjoy wiping them with a diaper occasionally.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
In general, guns are a poor investment if one is looking for a significant return during their lifetime. Most Gun buyers today want plastic stocks and can take or leave stainless. They want cheap or less expensive firearms as reflected by what is seen on dealer shelves. Manufacturers focus on what sells, and today the above mentioned rifles lead in sales, by a large margin. I like and use wood, blue guns but my 5 kids and 9 grandkids who hunt now prefer plastic. The writing on the wall indicates the days of quality wood, blue rifles and shotguns has passed. And I seriously doubt we'll see it again. There are holdouts like me and some other old folks, but we too will pass. Invest in land, real estate, or mutual funds. Ymmv.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Anyhow, there would be folks giving their eye teeth for an example of that guy's work. I pointed the piece out to the widow. She noted it on the inventory sheet. Lord only knows what it fetched, but I can guarantee it didn't get what it deserved. It's now out there floating around and no one knows who did it or what it is truly worth.

A self centered woman that didn't care about guns and didn't need the money.

A dead guy who could care less

and broke guy lusting after said guns

got it grin

I'm not sure how you're reading all this into what I wrote.

Which broke guy?

Of course the woman is being self-centered; she's newly widowed. Who wouldn't be?

The dead guy? He was half out of his mind when he died. Kidney failure will do that. However, on one of our last visits together he finally realized the jig was up. He cried that he'd left his wife with such a mess. His last cogent words to me were how much he loved her. He was dead in 18 hours.

I wouldn't go ragging on the widow. She had her hands full. I think you're also missing the point that this was going to be her inheritance. My point is that it would have been so much nicer if she'd been able to reach into a drawer, pull out a policy booklet or a bank statement and make a couple of phone calls. Instead, she had to go to work for 90 days trying to sell off the collection to fund her life as a new widow. We all pitched in and helped out as best we could. Our family spent quite a chunk on acquiring some of his guns. That was a huge pile of change. Everyone else who came by did the best they could.

That's no way to start the rest of your life. You could tell this was a real trial for her. We spent an evening with her, and she couldn't help breaking down in tears several times. This went on night after night for days on end as his friends came by to buy up what they could. Most of the really good pieces were way above everyone's budget. I'm not even sure the LGS knew how to get top dollar for them. Yes, I'd love a 3 digit Ruger Super-Blackhawk, or a Hawkeye in256 WIN or an unshot 3-screw Blackhawk, but I couldn't afford it. I already have a 3-screw Blackhawk, but it's well used. The other thing was this: how are you going to sell a pistol once shot by Elmer Keith? A 20 gauge SXS that was the genesis of years of articles in GunDog Magazine? Now that Bill Ruger's dead, there's maybe a handful of people in this world that would recognize the true significance of a parkerized Ruger Standard with a low 3 digit serial number. There were only 6 made. When Bill saw it, he let out a whoop: "How in the hell did you find that?" How are you going to explain a pistol that got sent to the guy by Bill Ruger, because Bill lost a bet? There was a whole bedroom filled with these things.

I went to see her in August. She called to tell me to come get his rifle cabinet. It was now 6 months since we'd put him in the ground. She was completely drained.

The other thing was the condition of the guns. I know of three pieces out of maybe a dozen that went through private sale that have had to go to the gunsmith. It was all neglect-related problems. My buddy just got too sick in his latter years to maintain the collection.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (10Glocks, 222ND, 1minute, 1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,704
Posts18,513,844
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.