-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would say depends on size and how young, but recoil and muzzleblast that is insignificant to experienced shooter can be significant to young and inexperienced. Personally, prefer to start with 243. Use the hornady lite loads if very new and move to full power loads once gets hang of it. Started my son that way and he has been slaying deer, pigs, pronghorn, whitetail, and recently mule deer with no problems.

Lou

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
7-08mm My girls first rifle at 12 Years old

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fotis
7-08mm

Can you read?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After seeing Form's pictures of bullet wound channels, and then killing one myself with it, I'm pretty sold on the 77grain TMK in .223.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
High RPM 223,with a scope that tracks...which means Fixed Fhuqker. Hint.

Tough to beat an M4 configuration there,though I obviously prefer turnbolt COAL latitudes and projectile advantages. Hint.

Kchuntis could almost afford the TG on her poor selection(pun be intended). ALMOST. Hint. Laughing!

Bless her heart for trying though!

Hint.

Laughing!.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
there goes another thread

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kchuntis,

I'll feign my GREAT "surprise",that besides being a Brokedick CLUELESS Fhuqk,that you are also a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit. Didja' yet again "forget" about your "heralded" Imaginary Pretend Ignore? Hint. Congratulations?!? LAUGHING!

Are you making payments on the TG? Hint.

Bless your heart for crying.

Hint.

Laughing!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thus far I've started 4 grandkids off with a 223. After they each killed at least 1 whitetail I moved them to a 243. Today I watched my 10 year old grandson shoot a m70 super grade (in 270 win) which I gave him a few months ago. He said it didn't kick too bad. His 3 older sisters probably won't go larger than the 243. They have no problem killing deer with it and we 100gr blue box ammo. For me, the 243 is perfect for kids. I have 8 more grandkids coming up. Same story for them, 223 to 243 then larger if they want to continue hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are a handloader, you have another way to control recoil other than caliber. This is what I have done with my grandkids. Hodgdon shows reduced recoil loads on their website. Their approach is that you can load as little as 60% of the maximum H4895 load listed for a given bullet. By using this reduction in the amount of H4895 used along with some of the lighter bullets for caliber listed, you can reduce recoil drastically. There's a world of fine cartridges between the 223 and the 6.5. Pick the cartridge you want and fix recoil with the load.
Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TenX
If you are a handloader, you have another way to control recoil other than caliber. This is what I have done with my grandkids. Hodgdon shows reduced recoil loads on their website. Their approach is that you can load as little as 60% of the maximum H4895 load listed for a given bullet. By using this reduction in the amount of H4895 used along with some of the lighter bullets for caliber listed, you can reduce recoil drastically. There's a world of fine cartridges between the 223 and the 6.5. Pick the cartridge you want and fix recoil with the load.
Phil

hence my suggestion of the 7mm-08

120 bt and h4895 was my girl's training load and she will never outgrow it.

μολὼν λαβέ

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The 6.5CM was not around when I started my kids. So around here, of the two the OP stated, it would be a .243 Win with a 95gr NPT. I also handload, so, one grand daughter got started with a .270 Win shooting 110gr Accubonds at an accurate middle of the road speed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I started my son on a 243 Savage, and when he got older, switched the barrel to a 308.

No regrets, but if there had been a 6.5 Creedmoor back then, I would have started at 243 and ended at 6.5 Creedmoor.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Youngster starting out on deer? To be true to your original post inquiry, 243. Why? It is an excellent deer rifle, even for full grown men. It also recoils considerably less than the 6.5 Creedmoor. Having said that, since the intended use for the rifle is deer, I will go out of your criteria and choose a .223. Others above have given good specs and reasons. I think a lot of us make a potentially huge mistake when we buy youngsters (size dependent of course) a higher recoiling rifle as long as it's in a youth stock and then, when they "grow into it", we can just get an adult sized stock. In my opinion, this is a mistake. Get them the less-recoiling rifle. As they grow, feel free to sell that to another parent with a youngster and move up in caliber if needed, assuming the youngster, though older now, can actually tolerate the recoil. Many grown men still, at times, use 223s for deer.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
100 gr bullets with minimum powder charge in a .260 Model 7 give very, very light recoil and keeeeulll. I witnessed such a load using a Hornady bullet break both shoulder bones just above the elbow of a 120 lbish doe whitetail and the 7 yr old in my lap was unaware of recoil, for good reason. I expect the 6.5CM would perform similarly. Want to use heavier bullets later, no problem. But can deer tell the difference between a 95 gr .243 and a 100 gr 6.5 at minimum powder charge? Doubt it.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There is nothing wrong with a 243. With decent bullets I have no doubt it's capable. But the 6.5 just doesn't recoil that much more and it opens up a lot more possibilities later on. If you think 6.5 recoil is too much,then pass over 243 for 223.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JMR40
There is nothing wrong with a 243. With decent bullets I have no doubt it's capable. But the 6.5 just doesn't recoil that much more and it opens up a lot more possibilities later on. If you think 6.5 recoil is too much,then pass over 243 for 223.

True. As I posted in my earlier post, I cannot tell any difference between a 243 and 6.5 CM recoil wise. I'll also add that if anyone is recoil conscious, it is me. I was a skinny, boney shouldered 15 year old kid when I started hunting deer with my daddy's Remington 760 in 30-06, shooting 180 grain bullets. It would leave my shoulder black and blue, and because I didn't know anything about ear protection, my ears would ring for week. As a result, I have never liked shooting any gun that kicked, and it has been very hard on me over the years to keep from flinching. Today, although I have a pair of classic deer rifles in my safe, a 270 and a 7X57, and for 25 years the 270 was my go-to deer rifle, I no longer hunt with either. I can shoot better with either a 243 or the 6.5, and either one will kill a deer just fine.........regardless of whether you're 12 or almost 70 as I am. By the way, although the 223 will work just fine for deer, I would pick a 243 over a 223 any day of the week. It is just a better choice.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You’re not leaving a lot on the table with a fast twist .223 and the right 75 gr bullet.

Deadly. About the most killing power with the least recoil and blast.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
You’re not leaving a lot on the table with a fast twist .223 and the right 75 gr bullet.

Deadly. About the most killing power with the least recoil and blast.

DF

I won't disagree, but it's just hard for me to want to go with anything below the 243.........and I've killed deer with a 223 and a 22LR. As a matter of fact, I'm probably going to carry a 223 some this season myself.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
.243 Win.

Get a rifle that fits the youngster,along with a good recoil pad,a recoil shield (for shooting off the bench) and light loads would be a good start.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3566

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
6.5 CM in a Tikka that has a stock that has been properly fitted for the child, and a threaded barrel with a brake.

Recipe for success as follows:

Get a T3 Lite (plastic stock) in 6.5 CM. with a threaded barrel

Buy a wood "take-off" stock.

Thread on a muzzle brake.

Remove the full size plastic stock on the rifle, set it aside for when the child grows into it.

Take the wood stock and cut it to proper length (including a flip flop pad) for the child, when he/she is wearing hunting clothes.

Have the child practice shooting, wearing both earplugs and muffs.

Top it with a good scope like an SWFA, that matches the terrain and hunting style, in quality rings and they are good to go.

They will then have a nice quality rifle that they can use as an adult.

The recoil from such a setup will be minimal. I did this setup with a .308 for my (at the time) sub 100 pound daughter, and she could not tell the difference between a .308 shooting regular 155 Scenars and a custom 6mm Rem T3. The recoil was never an issue. She eventually grew into the full size plastic stock, and the short wood stock was set aside for her younger sibling.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (308ld, 35, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 804 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,728
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.