-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
also FYI, in my state the average home costs about $194k. 30% of that is 58k. Now in the town I live closest to, the average income is quite a bit less than the national or even the state average. The average cost of a new vehicle in 2019 across the board is $53,534 according to one site. Now in 1970 the average cost of a new vehicle was $3542. So it does vary depending on region, so lets look at it as a percentage. the average INDIVIDUAL income in 1970 was $9,870 in 2019 the average HOUSEHOLD income is $63,179 (individual average is around 48k/year). compare that to the cost of vehicle above in relation to their respective years. That's what we're talking about. I'll give you the next 6 days to work through this, I'm headed Coues deer hunting in AZ, later dudes!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Socrates said that? All I can remember of his quotes was when he said, "Wow, that sure didn't TASTE like tomato juice!"

LOL

Fun little fact, since Socrates never actually wrote anything down, much of it is attributed to him because someone who learned from him wrote it later. so his quotes aren't verified as verbatim, but the message is the same so often he gets credit.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
If somebody feels the need to point a finger at somebody for the upheaval of the 60s,...which led to a lot of societal change that America is still feeling the fallout from,..they need to point it at LBJ.

LBJ and McNamara created the 60s revolution.

Whatever the Boomer generation became,..it did so because of LBJ.

If you want to look even deeper into it,....whoever put that bullet in Kennedy's head markedly altered the course of America for generations.

That bullet that killed Kennedy gave the Bolsheviks all the impetus they needed to influence that generation and to change American society.

LBJ set the stage for them to be successful in doing so.

If someone in power chooses to throw conscription servitude on an American generation,..they need to have a better reason for it than Vietnam.

Otherwise,..they run the risk of fuggin' up the country for thr forseeable future.

That's where we are today,.....in the midst of the forseeable future.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
The average cost of a new vehicle in 2019 across the board is $53,534 according to one site.

Huh? According to Kelly Blue book average price of a new car is right at $37K

Here's the breakdown by brands - https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...rding-to-kelley-blue-book-300860710.html

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
also FYI, in my state the average home costs about $194k. 30% of that is 58k. Now in the town I live closest to, the average income is quite a bit less than the national or even the state average. The average cost of a new vehicle in 2019 across the board is $53,534 according to one site. Now in 1970 the average cost of a new vehicle was $3542. So it does vary depending on region, so lets look at it as a percentage. the average INDIVIDUAL income in 1970 was $9,870 in 2019 the average HOUSEHOLD income is $63,179 (individual average is around 48k/year). compare that to the cost of vehicle above in relation to their respective years. That's what we're talking about. I'll give you the next 6 days to work through this, I'm headed Coues deer hunting in AZ, later dudes!

You said
30-50% of what your house cost (or more)
. Let me help you out a little. Let's go with your numbers for new cars. That 58k had better get you a new car that will last at least 350k miles - or else you ain't doin' somethin' right. That translates to $8764 in 1970 dollars. What could you buy in 1970 that would go 350k miles? How about three of those 1970 cars (pick any model). No, that comes to $10,626 - so you're close, but 1970 looks a little more expensive there. Before you object - I'm old enough to remember when it was a rare point of bragging when a car managed to survive 100k miles without a rebuild. But no - there is no reason that anyone needs to buy a $58k car. That is a matter of choice. It's easy enough to find a car for half that price - brand new - which comes to more like 15% of your house cost.

But the reality is that most of us didn't buy "the average priced new car" when we were young. Today, I can go to any used lot (that's where most of us young'ns were buying cars then) and pick up a nice car that will go at least another 100k miles (all we expected from a new car in the '70's) for 10k or less. In 1970 dollars, that's a little more than $1500. What did you get for $1500 in 1970? Not another 100k miles. And we haven't even touched on maintenance cost - such as tires. When was the last time you replaced a set of tires with 12k miles on them? When was the last time you paid to fix a flat more than once in a year?

How about housing cost vs income? Average home price for 1970 was about $24k. Average single income (your figure) $9870. That comes to ~.41 of the annual income. Take your $194k home cost figure and your $48k annual wage figure. That comes to ~.25 of the annual income. You said
Half of what both those people make goes towards putting a roof over their heads

Half of that $63k? (Your figure) Say, after taxes, that's what - ~$48k? So $24k. If a millennial is paying $2k a month for a $200k house, he's doing something wrong. If he's paying that for rent, he's also not using good judgement, IMO.

What about just income? Yeah, average income is down in real dollars. You got me there. But we still need to account for some other differences in living expenses. For instance....In the '60's and early '70's, the average home was smaller and had fewer amenities...

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/news/a32142/homes-today-bigger/

Again....a choice.

I forgot to mention the "extras" in cars. In 1970, we had no AC in most cars, or stereos, or tinted windows, electric windows, etc. Fancy wheels were rare. These are consumer choices. And oh yeah - the cars weren't as safe, so a lot of people are living longer than they would have in 1970.....and I don't mean 'cause they quit smoking.

In 1970, most people didn't eat out as much. They didn't travel as much (maybe drove more but flew less). BTW - airline tickets are abut 1/6 of 1970 in real dollars. I could go on, but if you haven't got the picture by now.....

The truth is, that most of the difference in income vs expense in real dollars is due to choice, and taxes. You can blame the taxes on previous generations, but if you're doing that without making better choices....well, that's just your class envy talking.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FreeMe

You said
30-50% of what your house cost (or more)
. Let me help you out a little. Let's go with your numbers for new cars. That 58k had better get you a new car that will last at least 350k miles - or else you ain't doin' somethin' right. That translates to $8764 in 1970 dollars. What could you buy in 1970 that would go 350k miles? How about three of those 1970 cars (pick any model). No, that comes to $10,626 - so you're close, but 1970 looks a little more expensive there. Before you object - I'm old enough to remember when it was a rare point of bragging when a car managed to survive 100k miles without a rebuild. But no - there is no reason that anyone needs to buy a $58k car. That is a matter of choice. It's easy enough to find a car for half that price - brand new - which comes to more like 15% of your house cost.

But the reality is that most of us didn't buy "the average priced new car" when we were young. Today, I can go to any used lot (that's where most of us young'ns were buying cars then) and pick up a nice car that will go at least another 100k miles (all we expected from a new car in the '70's) for 10k or less. In 1970 dollars, that's a little more than $1500. What did you get for $1500 in 1970? Not another 100k miles. And we haven't even touched on maintenance cost - such as tires. When was the last time you replaced a set of tires with 12k miles on them? When was the last time you paid to fix a flat more than once in a year?

How about housing cost vs income? Average home price for 1970 was about $24k. Average single income (your figure) $9870. That comes to ~.41 of the annual income. Take your $194k home cost figure and your $48k annual wage figure. That comes to ~.25 of the annual income. You said
Half of what both those people make goes towards putting a roof over their heads

Half of that $63k? (Your figure) Say, after taxes, that's what - ~$48k? So $24k. If a millennial is paying $2k a month for a $200k house, he's doing something wrong. If he's paying that for rent, he's also not using good judgement, IMO.

What about just income? Yeah, average income is down in real dollars. You got me there. But we still need to account for some other differences in living expenses. For instance....In the '60's and early '70's, the average home was smaller and had fewer amenities...

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/news/a32142/homes-today-bigger/

Again....a choice.

I forgot to mention the "extras" in cars. In 1970, we had no AC in most cars, or stereos, or tinted windows, electric windows, etc. Fancy wheels were rare. These are consumer choices. And oh yeah - the cars weren't as safe, so a lot of people are living longer than they would have in 1970.....and I don't mean 'cause they quit smoking.

In 1970, most people didn't eat out as much. They didn't travel as much (maybe drove more but flew less). BTW - airline tickets are abut 1/6 of 1970 in real dollars. I could go on, but if you haven't got the picture by now.....

The truth is, that most of the difference in income vs expense in real dollars is due to choice, and taxes. You can blame the taxes on previous generations, but if you're doing that without making better choices....well, that's just your class envy talking.

BOOYA !

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Poor 1970's people.

No AC?

Heavens!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Poor 1970's people.

No AC?

Heavens!

We never gave it a thought. Not that I'd wish to go back. smile

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Jim Conrad has finished his day of cultivating snowcones and is back on line to mean mouth the Boomer generation.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
No kidding.

The good ole days.....

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 11/06/19.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Wahhhhhhhh....

The boomers stopped giving a fugg about us....
And they dont pay enough taxes to support us anymore like when black jesus was in office....
And the big meanies say get a fugging job and support yourselves.

Lmfao!!!!

Last edited by renegade50; 11/06/19.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
The Boomers cain't make it stop having blizzards in Montana on Labor day.

We didn't start it,...we cain't stop it.

You live 12 blocks south of the North Pole. The North Pole was already there when the Boomers were born.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Say what you will, but no one can beat the drum of how great they think they are like the boomers.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by starsky
Say what you will, but no one can beat the drum of how great they think they are like the boomers.

Have you registered for the draft yet?

There's a war coming.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Raquel Welch is great!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bristoe

There's a war coming.

First day I was eligible.

Cash your social security check this week?

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Bristoe

There's a war coming.

First day I was eligible.

Cash your social security check this week?

It arrives on the 14th. I'm saving it up to buy a Harley and a helmet with a spike on top,.....maybe a Woodstock T-shirt.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Just put another AARP sticker on your scooter and call it a day.

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
One thing for sure, in the industry I am in, if the boomers had to start with the same obstacles that are in place today, none of them would have the businesses they have today. Think one generation being grandfathered into permits, individual fishing quotas, etc. I feel sorry for any millennials wanting into fishing. They can indenture themselves to a boomer or x’r and maybe dig themselves out.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 42 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,333
Posts18,526,724
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.