Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
One thing is apparent here, if you blame LBJ for tilting the world on its' axis as some repeatedly do, the world has been jacked since 1969. Guess what, that is your small, failed existence. Most just drove on, made a life and enjoyed the ride. Sucks to be you.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by lvmiker
One thing is apparent here, if you blame LBJ for tilting the world on its' axis as some repeatedly do, the world has been jacked since 1969. Guess what, that is your small, failed existence. Most just drove on, made a life and enjoyed the ride. Sucks to be you.

mike r

Yeah, well,...go put a flower on his grave and thank him for your youthful adventures.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
It must suck to be you.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by starsky
Say what you will, but no one can beat the drum of how great they think they are like the boomers.

Nope- - - -the Marines have got dibs on that trophy- - - - -they're so good at slinging propaganda that believe their own bullschidt!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
No,......actually,...I've been blessed for some reason.

My life is grand,....and all I did is go through the paces.

IC B2

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I suspect it might have something to do with these big hands and feet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by starsky
Say what you will, but no one can beat the drum of how great they think they are like the boomers.

If ya got it, flaunt it... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
The average cost of a new vehicle in 2019 across the board is $53,534 according to one site.

Huh? According to Kelly Blue book average price of a new car is right at $37K

Here's the breakdown by brands - https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...rding-to-kelley-blue-book-300860710.html

I took the total of the average of new midsize, luxury, pickup and compact and divided by 4. I guess some brands sell more than others, so if that data proves your point more then by all means use it. oh, BTW, maybe check out the little bit of figuring I did later. oh wait you did that and twisted that as well. All you did was give you OPINION of things, and try to play them off as facts. Not surprised given how heated you were. honestly I couldn't care less, because it changes nothing. Bristoe once again is being himself, and I swear one day I will take him up on his offer if he still remembers it. out of the majority of ya'll here he's the reasonable and prudent one. shareaspliff? wink

as to the rest, say what you will twist what you want, the bottom line is we are worse off than before as a whole when it comes to building prosperity. now it's a numbers game. So that said I will ask you boomers - given the choice would you rather be born in the 70's or 80's or when you were born in the 50's(ish) that will tell you something right there. BOOYAH

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe

That is the most honest thing I've seen posted today, I actually try to live my life the same way.

Bristoe, you always have a place to stay in the black hills. and Thank you for not taking your position to belittle and downplay the generations that followed you.For the rest believe it or not, there are still lots of good people being born, and you do more to harm our way of life than help it by saying all generations after yours suck. granted it's easy, cause you've already made it. we're still struggling to do the same.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

That is the most honest thing I've seen posted today, I actually try to live my life the same way.

Bristoe, you always have a place to stay in the black hills. and Thank you for not taking your position to belittle and downplay the generations that followed you.For the rest believe it or not, there are still lots of good people being born, and you do more to harm our way of life than help it by saying all generations after yours suck. granted it's easy, cause you've already made it. we're still struggling to do the same.
My kids are nineteen and fourteen, respectively. I don't know what generation that makes them, but they're good kids and they've got a lot of friends that are good kids too. I doubt one generation differs much from another, basically. I've never understood the propensity humans demonstrate for running down other generations. Of course, my parents generation really funked things up for mine. lolol

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
also FYI, in my state the average home costs about $194k. 30% of that is 58k. Now in the town I live closest to, the average income is quite a bit less than the national or even the state average. The average cost of a new vehicle in 2019 across the board is $53,534 according to one site. Now in 1970 the average cost of a new vehicle was $3542. So it does vary depending on region, so lets look at it as a percentage. the average INDIVIDUAL income in 1970 was $9,870 in 2019 the average HOUSEHOLD income is $63,179 (individual average is around 48k/year). compare that to the cost of vehicle above in relation to their respective years. That's what we're talking about. I'll give you the next 6 days to work through this, I'm headed Coues deer hunting in AZ, later dudes!

You said
30-50% of what your house cost (or more)
. Let me help you out a little. Let's go with your numbers for new cars. That 58k had better get you a new car that will last at least 350k miles - or else you ain't doin' somethin' right. That translates to $8764 in 1970 dollars. What could you buy in 1970 that would go 350k miles? How about three of those 1970 cars (pick any model). No, that comes to $10,626 - so you're close, but 1970 looks a little more expensive there. Before you object - I'm old enough to remember when it was a rare point of bragging when a car managed to survive 100k miles without a rebuild. But no - there is no reason that anyone needs to buy a $58k car. That is a matter of choice. It's easy enough to find a car for half that price - brand new - which comes to more like 15% of your house cost.

But the reality is that most of us didn't buy "the average priced new car" when we were young. Today, I can go to any used lot (that's where most of us young'ns were buying cars then) and pick up a nice car that will go at least another 100k miles (all we expected from a new car in the '70's) for 10k or less. In 1970 dollars, that's a little more than $1500. What did you get for $1500 in 1970? Not another 100k miles. And we haven't even touched on maintenance cost - such as tires. When was the last time you replaced a set of tires with 12k miles on them? When was the last time you paid to fix a flat more than once in a year?

How about housing cost vs income? Average home price for 1970 was about $24k. Average single income (your figure) $9870. That comes to ~.41 of the annual income. Take your $194k home cost figure and your $48k annual wage figure. That comes to ~.25 of the annual income. You said
Half of what both those people make goes towards putting a roof over their heads

Half of that $63k? (Your figure) Say, after taxes, that's what - ~$48k? So $24k. If a millennial is paying $2k a month for a $200k house, he's doing something wrong. If he's paying that for rent, he's also not using good judgement, IMO.

What about just income? Yeah, average income is down in real dollars. You got me there. But we still need to account for some other differences in living expenses. For instance....In the '60's and early '70's, the average home was smaller and had fewer amenities...

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/news/a32142/homes-today-bigger/

Again....a choice.

I forgot to mention the "extras" in cars. In 1970, we had no AC in most cars, or stereos, or tinted windows, electric windows, etc. Fancy wheels were rare. These are consumer choices. And oh yeah - the cars weren't as safe, so a lot of people are living longer than they would have in 1970.....and I don't mean 'cause they quit smoking.

In 1970, most people didn't eat out as much. They didn't travel as much (maybe drove more but flew less). BTW - airline tickets are abut 1/6 of 1970 in real dollars. I could go on, but if you haven't got the picture by now.....

The truth is, that most of the difference in income vs expense in real dollars is due to choice, and taxes. You can blame the taxes on previous generations, but if you're doing that without making better choices....well, that's just your class envy talking.

All of this is funny coming from someone who admittedly can't even raise his own kids right. I can see one falling out, but them all. that sums up why the generations after the boomers are fuct. Thanks! you made my point for me. LOL "extras" in cars make that much of a difference. That made my day! Keep grasping at straws I can use a good laugh while traveling smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

My kids are nineteen and fourteen, respectively. I don't know what generation that makes them, but they're good kids and they've got a lot of friends that are good kids too. I doubt one generation differs much from another, basically. I've never understood the propensity humans demonstrate for running down other generations. Of course, my parents generation really funked things up for mine. lolol

Bingo! this is my point exactly, No one faults the boomers for taking advantage of what they were given by the greatest generation. but to look down on the following ones for not having the opportunities they got is ridiculous and extremely short sighted and smug. But hey, if it makes you feel good about yourself.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pugs
The average cost of a new vehicle in 2019 across the board is $53,534 according to one site.

Huh? According to Kelly Blue book average price of a new car is right at $37K

Here's the breakdown by brands - https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...rding-to-kelley-blue-book-300860710.html

I took the total of the average of new midsize, luxury, pickup and compact and divided by 4. I guess some brands sell more than others, so if that data proves your point more then by all means use it. oh, BTW, maybe check out the little bit of figuring I did later. oh wait you did that and twisted that as well. All you did was give you OPINION of things, and try to play them off as facts. Not surprised given how heated you were. honestly I couldn't care less, because it changes nothing. Bristoe once again is being himself, and I swear one day I will take him up on his offer if he still remembers it. out of the majority of ya'll here he's the reasonable and prudent one. shareaspliff? wink

as to the rest, say what you will twist what you want, the bottom line is we are worse off than before as a whole when it comes to building prosperity. now it's a numbers game. So that said I will ask you boomers - given the choice would you rather be born in the 70's or 80's or when you were born in the 50's(ish) that will tell you something right there. BOOYAH

Given what I know now. The seventies would have put me into my career in the early nineties. Would have been much easier for me. No doubt about it. A lot of people made bad choices, starting with the degree they chose and how to pay for it.

One other thing I know - no one born in '70 had to go to bed every night wondering if they'd be nuked in their sleep. Nor did they face the near certainty that they'd be forced against their will to be cannon fodder in SE Asia or elsewhere.
And cripes......cigarette smoke damn near everywhere.

As for LBJ - everyone knows the damage he did, but some just want more of it. Hard lessons, learned by some and not by others.

You don't see me crowing about my generation. But the kids wanna cry without any push back, and I just can't sympathize. Common theme these days.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
also FYI, in my state the average home costs about $194k. 30% of that is 58k. Now in the town I live closest to, the average income is quite a bit less than the national or even the state average. The average cost of a new vehicle in 2019 across the board is $53,534 according to one site. Now in 1970 the average cost of a new vehicle was $3542. So it does vary depending on region, so lets look at it as a percentage. the average INDIVIDUAL income in 1970 was $9,870 in 2019 the average HOUSEHOLD income is $63,179 (individual average is around 48k/year). compare that to the cost of vehicle above in relation to their respective years. That's what we're talking about. I'll give you the next 6 days to work through this, I'm headed Coues deer hunting in AZ, later dudes!

You said
30-50% of what your house cost (or more)
. Let me help you out a little. Let's go with your numbers for new cars. That 58k had better get you a new car that will last at least 350k miles - or else you ain't doin' somethin' right. That translates to $8764 in 1970 dollars. What could you buy in 1970 that would go 350k miles? How about three of those 1970 cars (pick any model). No, that comes to $10,626 - so you're close, but 1970 looks a little more expensive there. Before you object - I'm old enough to remember when it was a rare point of bragging when a car managed to survive 100k miles without a rebuild. But no - there is no reason that anyone needs to buy a $58k car. That is a matter of choice. It's easy enough to find a car for half that price - brand new - which comes to more like 15% of your house cost.

But the reality is that most of us didn't buy "the average priced new car" when we were young. Today, I can go to any used lot (that's where most of us young'ns were buying cars then) and pick up a nice car that will go at least another 100k miles (all we expected from a new car in the '70's) for 10k or less. In 1970 dollars, that's a little more than $1500. What did you get for $1500 in 1970? Not another 100k miles. And we haven't even touched on maintenance cost - such as tires. When was the last time you replaced a set of tires with 12k miles on them? When was the last time you paid to fix a flat more than once in a year?

How about housing cost vs income? Average home price for 1970 was about $24k. Average single income (your figure) $9870. That comes to ~.41 of the annual income. Take your $194k home cost figure and your $48k annual wage figure. That comes to ~.25 of the annual income. You said
Half of what both those people make goes towards putting a roof over their heads

Half of that $63k? (Your figure) Say, after taxes, that's what - ~$48k? So $24k. If a millennial is paying $2k a month for a $200k house, he's doing something wrong. If he's paying that for rent, he's also not using good judgement, IMO.

What about just income? Yeah, average income is down in real dollars. You got me there. But we still need to account for some other differences in living expenses. For instance....In the '60's and early '70's, the average home was smaller and had fewer amenities...

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/news/a32142/homes-today-bigger/

Again....a choice.

I forgot to mention the "extras" in cars. In 1970, we had no AC in most cars, or stereos, or tinted windows, electric windows, etc. Fancy wheels were rare. These are consumer choices. And oh yeah - the cars weren't as safe, so a lot of people are living longer than they would have in 1970.....and I don't mean 'cause they quit smoking.

In 1970, most people didn't eat out as much. They didn't travel as much (maybe drove more but flew less). BTW - airline tickets are abut 1/6 of 1970 in real dollars. I could go on, but if you haven't got the picture by now.....

The truth is, that most of the difference in income vs expense in real dollars is due to choice, and taxes. You can blame the taxes on previous generations, but if you're doing that without making better choices....well, that's just your class envy talking.

All of this is funny coming from someone who admittedly can't even raise his own kids right. I can see one falling out, but them all. that sums up why the generations after the boomers are fuct. Thanks! you made my point for me. LOL "extras" in cars make that much of a difference. That made my day! Keep grasping at straws I can use a good laugh while traveling smile

If you're talking about my kids, you haven't got a clue. Mine are doing fine, and we get along great. What the heck are you talkin' about.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Bingo! this is my point exactly, No one faults the boomers for taking advantage of what they were given by the greatest generation. but to look down on the following ones for not having the opportunities they got is ridiculous and extremely short sighted and smug. But hey, if it makes you feel good about yourself.....

There's what you're not getting. I agree that the same opportunities aren't there. But there are opportunities we didn't have. The whining is unproductive, and looks bad.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Making a living was definitely easier around my AO back in 1980 when I started out than it is today. I took home 136.00 a week from my first full time job at a local factory and my rent was 125.00 a month for a two bedroom aparment. Today a 2 bdrm apt will run you 600.00 - 700.00 per month but you won't take home anywhere near that per week from an entry level factory job in the area. Add utilities, food, car, insurance etc. on to that and you'll be needing a roommate/spouse/girlfriend with a job just to make ends meet today. Or just live home with mom and dad till you're middle aged like so many do nowdays.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're right, it was hot rod lincoln who's kids went awry as he mentioned yesterday
I apologize for the mistake.

in my defense you old guys all look alike smile

Last edited by Colorado1135; 11/06/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Making a living was definitely easier around my AO back in 1980 when I started out than they are today. I took home 136.00 a week from my first full time job at a local factory and my rent was 125.00 a month for a two bedroom aparment. Today a 2 bdrm apt will run you 600.00 per month but you won't take home anywhere near that from an entry level factory job in the area. You'd need a roommate/spouse/girlfriend with a job just to make ends meet today. Or just live home with mom and dad till you're middle aged like so many do nowdays.

Stand by to be blasted by those holier than us real folks.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B

Well,...I appreciate you saying so. I've been lucky. This "moderately planned" path I've taken has killed some people. But it only left me slightly bruised,.....and it wasn't because of me.

I've just been along for the ride.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The new age of opportunity is here though. If you can work and pass a piss test the world of opportunity is wide open.

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,708 guests, and 1,402 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,409
Posts18,528,121
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.