Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm curious about the actual engineering behind Savage actions that makes them hated and loved. For example, I saw a discussion on here where people talked about whether they'd trust a Savage rifle on a big hunt. What is it specifically about a Savage that makes people question whether they'd work? Are there some weaknesses inherent to the design? I've read a lot of discussions on here about Savages and I know lots of people use them and like them, but I guess I'd like to know more about the technical reasons why people don't.

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have found that the extractors can wear rather quickly. I've had two act up on me, one in a .223 and one in a .22-250. The one in the .22-250 can be blamed on me, I rebarreled the rifle and used the brass that had been fired in the old barrel. It was hard to chamber, so I forced it in, then had to force it out. The extractor didn't work too good afterwards.

I don't know why the .223 acted up, it just wore out early, I guess. Both rifles would pull the brass partially clear and as soon as the case mouth cleared the chamber, the extractor would lose grip and the empty would just sit there on top of the loaded round which obviously was not going to feed into the chamber.

I think they cost 3 dollars and some change, and took about 4.72 seconds to change...

Last edited by Vic_in_Va; 11/08/19. Reason: to, too, two
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tag

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I have found that the extractors can wear rather quickly. I've had two act up on me, one in a .223 and one in a .22-250. The one in the .22-250 can be blamed on me, I rebarreled the rifle and used the brass that had been fired in the old barrel. It was hard to chamber, so I forced it in, then had to force it out. The extractor didn't work to good afterwards.

I don't know why the .223 acted up, it just wore out early, I guess. Both rifles would pull the brass partially clear and as soon as the case mouth cleared the chamber, the extractor would lose grip and the empty would just sit there on top of the loaded round which obviously was not going to feed into the chamber.

I think they cost 3 dollars and some change, and took about 4.72 seconds to change...

Bingo. I love them for their accuracy, but a lot of the savage bolt actions ive had, had weak extraction and ejection. They are extremely easy to change though. I have a buddy that only uses savage bolt actions for hunting. He has never had an issue with his. If you are extremely particular about things (like i am), it may really bother you if you have a case dribble out of the receiver upon extraction, or better yer, not even make it to the ground, but lay on top of the other cartridges as the bolt is pulled back. My 12 FV creedmoor did this when i got it, but a quick email to savage and a new extractor and ejector kit was coming my way. They are some of the easiest people to deal with.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
So is there a permanent fix/upgrade that can be done to help with extraction/ejection? Or is it just a matter of keeping spares on hand for when/if things fail?

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I noticed the extraction ejection issues as well.
It would pull the case almost out of the chamber and leave it there or lay the case on top of the next cartridge.
I got my daughter an axis youth straight out of the box with those issues.

Would be a good idea to have a extraction kit on hand just in case you need it.
It's a couple bucks and pretty easy to fix.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
To me, savage bolt is not as smooth as others. And to figure out the action/stock compatibility is some work

NRA lifetime member
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
The only complaint I had about Savage is just one.

Many years ago I bought a Savage police/tactical model in 25-06 (I wish I still had it). There was something wrong with the trigger. After some time and a few boxes of shells, the trigger lightened up on its own. It became Dangerously light one day While we were out shooting PD’s. It fired while I closed the bolt.

It was a good thing that one of the guys I was with was a gunsmith, he fixed it right there. Yeah those guys were getting piss’d at me, they thought I was exhibiting poor weapon handling.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The biggest problem with the Savage rifles (10/110 and variants) is cosmetic.

Never had an extraction problem with my 110E in .22-250 and it had a round count of 3500-4000 when the barrel went TU and I sold it to a guy that wanted the action.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Just speaking for my personal experience but I have probably owned 20+ Savage rifles, and been around or shot at least that many more. To this date I have only had problems with Cooper, Fieldcraft, and Remington extraction, had one Savage Axis 243 that I improved extraction with a slightly larger ball bearing under the extractor spring but it was okay before upgrade. I personally usually grab a Savage when going to the woods but I just deer hunt in the South East United States.

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have 3 bolt Savages. They ain’t the most beautiful thing, but they are a fine rifle for the price. No issues with mine so far.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
The biggest problem with the Savage rifles (10/110 and variants) is cosmetic.

Never had an extraction problem with my 110E in .22-250 and it had a round count of 3500-4000 when the barrel went TU and I sold it to a guy that wanted the action.

I agree, the last attractive Savage bolt action was the 1920.

I don't understand why Savage never tried to improve the aesthetic quality of the action and left it to Marlin to copy the best functional aspects of the 110 series and improve the aesthetics to such a degree that the X guns were, IMO, the pinnacle of 110 series evolution.

I'm not sure that I'd want to use a Savage 110 series rifle while hunting dangerous game, but for anything less they are probably as reliable as any other properly maintained bolt action sporting rifle.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
the last attractive Savage bolt action was the 1920.

agree ... i asked them on the social media what their current equivalent of the 1920 is. they said “nothing.”

that being said, ive developed an affinity for my blued/walnut lightweight hunter. nice little rifle to carry and shoot. but of course that version has been discontinued ...

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm not sure that I'd want to use a Savage 110 series rifle while hunting dangerous game, but for anything less they are probably as reliable as any other properly maintained bolt action sporting rifle.

Is it the extraction/ejection issue that would make you not want it for dangerous game? (I'm not looking for a dangerous game rifle, I'm just wondering)

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I bought four different Savage Precision Target Actions, all barreled with various high-end custom interchangeable varmint barrels. Never had one fail in any way while hunting. The extractors work flawlessly, but I have spares on hand, along with the springs, and a bag of 100 1/8" ball bearings (from a bearing supply house) to replace the detent ball just in case. With a bit of practice I can now change the extractor in seconds with nothing more than my thumb. The target AccuTrigger can only be adjusted down so much before it fails to setup, but once set properly it works without a hitch, mine are set just around 1.5 pounds. The entire action can be dismantled with a set of Allan wrenches and a screwdriver, and one can reset firing pin protrusion without any machining - I reset mine to 0.040" above the bolt face. Then the bolt handle is robust, and won't break off because a braze let go, even if it looks clunky. I have a set of bolt heads that can be swapped in and out to change cartridge families, including the magnums that also require swapping out the firing pin assembly. That floating bolt head allows for full contact with the receiver lugs, no bolt sleeving or lapping needed, and the cocking piece travels down the right side of the action, so the bolt lugs remain in contact with both receiver lugs under spring tension when cocked. In short, these Savage based rifles are accurate, nearly indestructible, and work. I believe they are a good value, even the factory rimfire .17 HMR I have shoots great for ground squirrels,

Finished rifle may not be a thing of beauty, but has the practicality of a boxcar.

[Linked Image from i274.photobucket.com]

Below is a sight-in target from a .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum Brux prefit barrel, threaded and chambered by Sharp Shooter Supply, I installed myself, there are three scope adjustments left and up involved. The tightest group fired by this barrel measured .186 for 10 shots at 100 yards. It vaporized sage rats out to 330 yards easily. Every one of these homemade rifles from .204 Ruger, .223 Remington and up to 6mm PPC and 6mm BR Norma, all shoot at least .25" with barrels from Brux, Shilen, Krieger and Pac-Nor especially Pac-Nor's polygonal rifled barrels.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 11/08/19.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by westernsloper

Is it the extraction/ejection issue that would make you not want it for dangerous game? (I'm not looking for a dangerous game rifle, I'm just wondering)

Savage's extractor and ejector are constructed the same way as many push-feed modern bolt action rifles. Ejector problems arise if the spring and ejector pin bore become gunked up with dirt and and sludge from too much lubrication or rust. Keep everything clean and there isn't much to go wrong, same as any rifle. Indeed, when I buy a bare bolt head the extractor and ejector need to be installed. All that is needed is a simple extractor jig made from a block of wood, carved out with a Dremel Tool and a wood file. Below we see a simple homemade jig. One always replaces the ejector retaining pin with a new one when installing a new spring and ejector pin (available from Brownell's).

Using a 1/16" punch, the existing ejector retaining pin is driven out, the ejector and spring removed and the bore cleaned. The new parts installed and a empty case with a clamp is used to compress the spring (here a .45 ACP case is used on a standard .473" cartridge bolt head), the same set up can be used to uninstall the original pin so parts don't launch. A 1/16" punch is run through the retaining pin hole, ensuring alignment, and a new splined retaining pin started from the recessed hole side and driven flush with a punch that fits the recess, which drives out the 1/16" punch. Done for a few bucks, and no trip to the gunsmith necessary, not that I have anything against gunsmiths, it's just that they are so busy. This a handy technique for replacing the ejector spring with a lighter one, or completely eliminating the ejector as some benchrest shooters do so the case is not cocked to one side in the chamber, or damaged during extraction and ejection.

Again, I have never experienced any extractor or ejection problems with these actions, but having the means to quickly repair or modify them is a good idea.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 11/08/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good post WranglerJohn,

I have built numerous rifles on Savage actions. My biggest problem is hanging onto them.... when my shooting buddies see how great they shoot they make me offers I can't refuse....

Crazy accurate at modest prices, whats not to love?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i own a bunch of Savage rifles maybe 20-25 not sure how many but i gotta say dang they all sure shoot well easy even my old 99`s. i do wish Savage would bring back the 99 again with some real nice wood and blued good even some nice bolt actions done nicely in some different cartridges from the past . i have had some buddies spend big money on some expensive rifles and still my factory Savages shoot as well if not better than those expensive rifles.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Yes, that is exactly why I wouldn't want to use one for dangerous game.

I wonder if Mossberg Patriots in 375 Ruger are selling well in those parts of Alaska where people live side by side with big bears?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
So is there a permanent fix/upgrade that can be done to help with extraction/ejection? Or is it just a matter of keeping spares on hand for when/if things fail?
Yes. There are aftermarket, machined steel extractor kits that come with extra stength extractor and ejector springs. Personsally I've had no issues with the factory extractors and I've lost track of how many Savage 110/11 variants I've owned over the years or how many thousands of rounds I've run through them. I have replaced extractor and ejector springs with stronger aftermarket springs on a couple as well as installed oversized extractor ball bearings to give more positive extraction/ejection. My current Savage .223 has about 2500 rds. on it with no issues and still has factory original parts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,731
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.