Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Blackheart
There are aftermarket, mahined steel extractor kits that come with extra stength extractor and ejector springs.

I was just about to ask about those extractor kits. It's wild that Savage continues to put out a product with a known issue and what seems like a simple fix (if the kits really do fix things), but I guess the out-of-the-box Savages work well enough for most people.

I am thinking about a very simple 7mm-08 or 6.5 creedmoor build and was planning on using a Remington 700 action, but Savage actions are much easier to come by cheap - even in stainless steel, which I would prefer. I know of some knowledgeable people who don't hold Savages (Salvages) in high regard, but I wanted to understand why that is.

HR IC

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
When a Savage bolt handle is actuated I keep expecting to hear flushing noises.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Savages have no snob appeal.... wink

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mathman
When a Savage bolt handle is actuated I keep expecting to hear flushing noises.
There are many choices in aftermarket bolt handles if the factory handles offend your delicate tastes.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
Savages have no snob appeal.... wink
Nope, but they often outshoot the ones that do.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I get it, some people think they are trash and some people think they're underrated. A lot of people haven't had any issues. I'm not really wanting to start a fight.

We've talked about extraction and ejection. Are there any other mechanical issues with them or other disadvantages?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Not the action, but rough barrels seem common in Savages.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd have to agree with that in general, though not all are rough. My current .223 for instance is quite smooth and fouls very little. It's also one of, if not my most accurate rifle at the moment and I have a couple Tikka's and Weatherby/Howa's that are very accurate.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I/we've never had any issues with our Savages.

All are accurate & easy to maintain.

People say Savages are ugly, but I've seen enough butt phoucc ugly "customs" that I'm happy with what we have.

I love the accutriggers, set at about 2.5lbs, they are clean & crisp.

We are hunters, not volume shooters however.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Other than the LWH, I’ve not owned or shot one that I liked enough to get past the toilet plunger bolt shroud and hatchet made stock wrist. There’s cheaper stuff that shoots at least as accurate, looks far better, and are easier to keep a barrel clean. Then again, I’m probably just a jackass, since I think finding a ‘99 ‘pretty’, is like a dating a chick with a mustache. wink

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Aesthetics aside, like Mossberg pumps, Glocks, Tokerevs, etc. Savage's "disadvantage" is perception.
How can a better rifle be cheaper? Design.

Last edited by night_owl; 11/08/19.

abusus non tollit usum
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
When I check the Savage firearms website I see they have several variations of bolt actions available for sale, but I seldom see any of them for sale new or used. The common calibers that I see used are 270, 30-06, 7RM etc. The short actions like 223 and 22-250 get bought up pretty fast in my area.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
HH4, I really don't mind the looks of the 110, earlier ones were really cheap looking but they've gotten better. Some of the newer stuff is giving the 110-based rifles a run for the money in regards to accuracy.

I seem to replace the barrel on every rifle I get right away, anyway, though I sometimes wonder if I'm just wasting money.

I totally agree about the 99 looking good (not), but it's all in what one likes.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm really just wondering about the 110 action. I don't care much about aesthetics, but I don't blame people for wanting a rifle that looks nice to them.

They are often available cheap used, but when new they are no cheaper than a Remington 700 or Howa/Vanguard. I saw a used stainless Savage rifle the other day that was $330, but it was in rough shape. I have a hard time believing that the hate can just be because people think that cheap equals junk.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’m not saying they’re ‘junk’, and only some of them fall into ‘cheap’ these days. The LWH I had was seemingly better built than most Remington 7s I’ve ever had. Kinda wish I’d have kept that one.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by westernsloper
Originally Posted by Blackheart
There are aftermarket, mahined steel extractor kits that come with extra stength extractor and ejector springs.

I was just about to ask about those extractor kits. It's wild that Savage continues to put out a product with a known issue and what seems like a simple fix (if the kits really do fix things), but I guess the out-of-the-box Savages work well enough for most people.

I am thinking about a very simple 7mm-08 or 6.5 creedmoor build and was planning on using a Remington 700 action, but Savage actions are much easier to come by cheap - even in stainless steel, which I would prefer. I know of some knowledgeable people who don't hold Savages (Salvages) in high regard, but I wanted to understand why that is.

I'd pick Savage over Remington 700 in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Just shoot them and they will clean up. I don't care what it looks like on the inside, as long as it shoots good. Some guys have a hard time dealing with chit like this...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's from a $319.00 rifle with a "rough" bore...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Like an ok looking chic trying to please. Cheap fun.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

I had one that developed weak extraction of one brand of handloaded brass. New extractor from Sharp Shooter Supply took minutes to install even for this numbskull. No problems hundreds of rounds later. Can't remember the last time I cleaned the barrel beyond a run with the boresnake.

As a lefty, I'm a Savage fan.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Like an ok looking chic trying to please. Cheap fun.

Truth. But always makes a guy want to look at the high maintenance blonde that will fail you. A mail weakness.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

281 members (257 mag, 2500HD, 240NMC, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 21, 23 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,086
Posts18,501,723
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.