Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15
Re: Mule Deer's 9.3x62 data [Re: 201k] #13605054 02/26/19
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 926
CZ550 Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 926
RL-17 works best with compressed loads as well.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca


"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant"

-- Harlan Ellison
300 BP

Re: Mule Deer's 9.3x62 data [Re: GSSP] #14245686 10/31/19
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 24
smthgfshy Offline
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 24
A few questions preceeded by my background:

background:

I'm a new handloader. Literally, just yesterday, I finished loading my first 9.3x62 loads. I've yet to shoot them. I've found throughout the last few months of researching handloading components, procedures, and recipes all to be fairly confusing and not well outlined for the noob. I persisted and here I am.

It seems to me that one of the tenants of handloading is never to exceed max published loads for fear of death and to work your way up. Yet, here in this thread, most loads are well above the MAX loads in any reloading manual. There is also talk of older pressure standards, stronger actions, and modern powders.

I'm reloading 9.3x62 mauser rounds using PPV brass, WLR primers, 286g Hornady Interlock spire point bullets, and a combination of Varget and BigGame powders for a Husqvarna 1640 rifle made in 1959 with a 19.5" barrel. I'm in Alaska and this would be used on moose and black bear.

I'm looking to achieve the most accurate load with at least 2350 ft/sec with a 286g bullet from this 19.5" barrel.

My 18 (3 of each of the below) starting loads are:

53.5g, 55.5g, & 57.5g of Varget and

56g, 58g, & 60g of BigGame.

Questions:

Am I going to die because my rifle explodes in my face?

I stuck to published charges based on the 'fear of death', however I'd like to increase charges especially in BigGame to the 64/65g range if my rifle can handle it. Does anyone see any issues with that if all pressure signs are absent and I'm still below my target velocity?

Thanks for letting me live.



Last edited by smthgfshy; 10/31/19.
Re: Mule Deer's 9.3x62 data [Re: smthgfshy] #14245830 10/31/19
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 47,585
Mule Deer Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 47,585
Based on experience with several 9.3x62 rifles (including a 20.5" barreled CZ full-stocked rifle, and an old Husqvarna)) you are not going to blow up your rifle with those loads! In fact, I doubt you will even notice any difference in bolt-lift between shooting your ammo and opening the bolt on an empty chamber.

But I also doubt they will get close to 2350 fps. Whether that matters is another question. Have used the Hornady factory load (listed at 2360, if I recall correctly, but did not chronograph it in that particular rifle) their 286-grain Interlock Spire Point on a cow nilgai (about the size of an average cow elk, say 400 pounds) standing almost directly facing me at around 150 yards. Nilgai are one of those animals that are supposedly very hard to kill, but at the shot the cow crow-hopped maybe 10 feet and fell over dead. The bullet had entered just inside the right shoulder, and exited around the rear of the ribs on the left side.

Do you own a chronograph?


“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Re: Mule Deer's 9.3x62 data [Re: Mule Deer] #14245954 10/31/19
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 24
smthgfshy Offline
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 24
I don't own a chronograph, but plan to rent one at the range, and work up powder charges from there. I do have high hopes for the BigGame powder and anything over 2200 is a WIN in my book (as the factory PPV stuff I shoot now is listed at 2200mv and is $40/box here). My magazine length is fairly short as I'm limited to a 3.330 COAL, even though when I measured the 'chamber distance to the lands?' it came to 3.442. Which brings me to another question: as the published max COAL's are 3.290 what are the consequences of maxing out my mag length to 3.330?

Any experience with the speer hotcores vs privi vs hornady SP's as far as these softer bullets providing maximum penetration? They seem to be rather affordable.

Re: Mule Deer's 9.3x62 data [Re: smthgfshy] #14245984 10/31/19
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 47,585
Mule Deer Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 47,585
I would pick the Hornady for an inexpensive bullet at moderate velocity. It holds together really well. The Privi also might, but have not used it so dunno. On the other hand, one the virtues of the 9.3x62 in its early days was the very moderate muzzle velocity, which when combined with plenty of bullet weight and sectional density (far more important back then than today) resulted in dependable penetration--the reason it has survived until now--along with a number of other older rounds, including the 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, 6.5x55, 7x57, .303 British, etc.

Usually 9,3x62's have very long throat length, a by-product of the time. The rounds was designed to fit in the standard Model 98 Mauser magazine length of 3.30 inches--and the bullets could NOT be seated anywhere near the lands at that length. They still can't, even in somewhat longer magazines, but the standard throat is so long that doesn't make enough difference in pressure to consider "dangerous."


“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Alpha

Re: Mule Deer's 9.3x62 data [Re: GSSP] #14245986 10/31/19
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 3,848
Yukoner Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 3,848
My experience with the Speer 270 hrs has been completely satisfactory, as has been with every other bullet I have used on big game except the Hornady.

Seems there are no small number of guys with the same Hornady experience up here. It is very accurate, but always comes apart on heavy game.

Maybe they sent all the bad ones up here. wink
Ted

Re: Mule Deer's 9.3x62 data [Re: GSSP] #14246017 10/31/19
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 3,848
Yukoner Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 3,848
The good news is animals still died. Bad news is there is an inordinate amount of jellied bloodshot meat.

Ted

Re: Mule Deer's 9.3x62 data [Re: Yukoner] #14246022 10/31/19
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,741
Gringo Loco Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,741
Originally Posted by Yukoner
My experience with the Speer 270 hrs has been completely satisfactory, as has been with every other bullet I have used on big game except the Hornady.

Seems there are no small number of guys with the same Hornady experience up here. It is very accurate, but always comes apart on heavy game.

Maybe they sent all the bad ones up here. wink
Ted

Was the bad experience with Hornady in the 9.3x62 or something else? A little surprised given the very mild velocity of the 9.3x62, I figured almost any cup and core would do.

Re: Mule Deer's 9.3x62 data [Re: GSSP] #14246038 10/31/19
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 47,585
Mule Deer Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 47,585
Have also heard from others who have used the Speer on big game that it's considerably softer than the 286 Hornady--which is what my "media" tests show, whether both are loaded to "traditional" velocities or somewhat faster. Of course, core hardness and jacket variations from lot to lot can make considerable difference in cup-and-core expansion and penetration.

Which is why I generally bypass the entire problem by avoiding using cup-and-core bullets on larger game. I mean, how many damn moose or elk or "big" bears do we shoot a year? Is the difference in price between a box of C&C's and a box of Barnes TSX's, Norma Oryxes or Nosler Partitions going to make a difference in whether we can afford to to go hunting?



“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Re: Mule Deer's 9.3x62 data [Re: GSSP] #14246058 10/31/19
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 3,848
Yukoner Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 3,848
Exactly. I settled on Matrix bonded cores while they were still available. Have enough to last the rest of my hunting days.

No doubt a 285gr Partition will work just as well.
Ted

Bravo

Re: Mule Deer's 9.3x62 data [Re: Mule Deer] #14246123 10/31/19
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 21,506
luv2safari Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 21,506
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have also heard from others who have used the Speer on big game that it's considerably softer than the 286 Hornady--which is what my "media" tests show, whether both are loaded to "traditional" velocities or somewhat faster. Of course, core hardness and jacket variations from lot to lot can make considerable difference in cup-and-core expansion and penetration.

Which is why I generally bypass the entire problem by avoiding using cup-and-core bullets on larger game. I mean, how many damn moose or elk or "big" bears do we shoot a year? Is the difference in price between a box of C&C's and a box of Barnes TSX's, Norma Oryxes or Nosler Partitions going to make a difference in whether we can afford to to go hunting?




You nailed it, John.

I remember guys in new uber-trucks, pulling many feet of Airstreams that would roar up to the store and ask for a box of the cheapest 30-06/300Win/7Mag ammo we had, as they headed to Colorado or New Mexico, going on guided elk hunts.

Go figure.


Hunt with Class and Classics

"Doing nothing is hard. You never know when you're done"

“If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.”





Re: Mule Deer's 9.3x62 data [Re: luv2safari] #14246133 10/31/19
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 21,506
luv2safari Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 21,506
BTW, I shot a lot with the Speer 270 bullets back when they were all we could find. They worked about like WW Power Points. sick


Hunt with Class and Classics

"Doing nothing is hard. You never know when you're done"

“If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.”





Re: Mule Deer's 9.3x62 data [Re: GSSP] #14246214 10/31/19
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 47,585
Mule Deer Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 47,585
Thanks, Bruce.

I have also found Speer Hot-Cors to work about like Winchester Power-Points. Nothing wrong with that--but nothing exceptional either.


“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Re: Mule Deer's 9.3x62 data [Re: GSSP] #14246219 10/31/19
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 47,585
Mule Deer Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 47,585
On the other hand, often use C&C bullets to start working up loads, before switching to more expensive premiums for the final tweaking.


“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Re: Mule Deer's 9.3x62 data [Re: GSSP] #14246356 10/31/19
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 24
smthgfshy Offline
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 24
thanks for the pointers. This thread is great. I'll probably switch to partition once i use these up. Included in the purchase of the gun were 24 Hornady Interlock SPs and a handful of 300g DGSs. I know that many are using 64g of RamShot for their loads and because I only have a few left I may work up the rest of the bullets to that charge and see what happens.

Re: Mule Deer's 9.3x62 data [Re: GSSP] #14261588 11/07/19
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,597
Rustyzipper Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,597
Did this great thread get "stickied" somewhere? I would hope a moderator would do that for us. Here or in the reloading forum? Thanks and Be Well, RZ.

Re: Mule Deer's 9.3x62 data [Re: smthgfshy] #14263475 11/07/19
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 7,858
MojoHand Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 7,858
Originally Posted by smthgfshy
A few questions preceeded by my background:

background:

I'm a new handloader. Literally, just yesterday, I finished loading my first 9.3x62 loads. I've yet to shoot them. I've found throughout the last few months of researching handloading components, procedures, and recipes all to be fairly confusing and not well outlined for the noob. I persisted and here I am.

It seems to me that one of the tenants of handloading is never to exceed max published loads for fear of death and to work your way up. Yet, here in this thread, most loads are well above the MAX loads in any reloading manual. There is also talk of older pressure standards, stronger actions, and modern powders.

I'm reloading 9.3x62 mauser rounds using PPV brass, WLR primers, 286g Hornady Interlock spire point bullets, and a combination of Varget and BigGame powders for a Husqvarna 1640 rifle made in 1959 with a 19.5" barrel. I'm in Alaska and this would be used on moose and black bear.

I'm looking to achieve the most accurate load with at least 2350 ft/sec with a 286g bullet from this 19.5" barrel.

My 18 (3 of each of the below) starting loads are:

53.5g, 55.5g, & 57.5g of Varget and

56g, 58g, & 60g of BigGame.

Questions:

Am I going to die because my rifle explodes in my face?

I stuck to published charges based on the 'fear of death', however I'd like to increase charges especially in BigGame to the 64/65g range if my rifle can handle it. Does anyone see any issues with that if all pressure signs are absent and I'm still below my target velocity?

Thanks for letting me live.






I found old notes telling me I got 2285 FPS with 55.0 Varget and 2320 with 56.0 Varget and the Hornady 286 gr. That would have been a warm summer day in my Ruger No.1 with a 22” barrel.

If I wanted to up the oomph I went with Big Game or RL17 but nowadays I’m content to hang anywhere in the 2200’s with a good 286’er. (All 4 of my 9.3s are open sighted so ‘long range trajectory bothers me none).


It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Re: Mule Deer's 9.3x62 data [Re: 65BR] #14268710 11/10/19
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,597
Rustyzipper Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,597
Guy in the 8 second clip was shooting quite well. Imagine how many seconds he could cut off his shooting time by not lifting his head off the gun! Not a flaming arrow, simply meant as constructive. Thanks and Be Well, Rusty.

Re: Mule Deer's 9.3x62 data [Re: GSSP] #14274437 11/12/19
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,763
Jim_Knight Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,763
I've seen the Barnes 286TSX from a CZ 550FS used on a huge, fat 300# hog up close. hammered it. I had loaded the 286 Partition for a rebarreled Mod 70 FWT (Lothar Walther barrel) gave the rifle to a young man who shot a big spike elk around 50yds....which his shoulder was behind a thick screen of Buck Brush. Pow, complete penetration! So, cheap bullets for practice and deer size stuff, Premiums for Big Game. The reason I gave both rifles away is, "for me" the 9.3x62 just isn't as flat shooting as a properly loaded 35 Welen AI ( comparable) but this is on elk here in the mountains. I had no access to 250gr bullets back then. I wonder if the 9.3x62 kicks hard in that Husky? I see them every now and then for under $400. But the stock has a "lot" of drop at the heel! frown

Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1
Who's Online Now
613 registered members (10gaugemag, 175rltw, 19352012, 14Homer, 1234, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 564 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3










Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2020 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3
(Release build 20190728)
PHP: 5.6.40 Page Time: 0.108s Queries: 15 (0.009s) Memory: 1.1806 MB (Peak: 1.4820 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2019-11-21 21:25:15 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS