Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
jimy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
SAN FRANCISCO – Fix global warming or cook dinner on a gas stove?

That’s the choice for people in 13 cities and one county in California that have enacted new zoning codes encouraging or requiring all-electric new construction.

The codes, most of them passed since June, are meant to keep builders from running natural gas lines to new homes and apartments, with an eye toward creating fewer legacy gas hookups as the nation shifts to carbon-neutral energy sources.

For proponents, it's a change that must be made to fight climate change. For natural gas companies, it's a threat to their existence. And for some cooks who love to prepare food with flame, it's an unthinkable loss.

Natural gas is a fossil fuel, mostly methane, and produces 33% of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions from electricity generation, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Carbon dioxide is the primary greenhouse gas causing climate change.

“There’s no pathway to stabilizing the climate without phasing gas out of our homes and buildings. This is a must-do for the climate and a livable planet,” said Rachel Golden of the Sierra Club’s building electrification campaign.

These new building codes come as local governments work to speed the transition from natural gas and other fossil fuels and toward the use of electricity from renewables, said Robert Jackson, a professor of energy and the environment at Stanford University in Palo Alto, California.

“Every house, every high-rise that’s built with gas, may be in place for decades. We’re establishing infrastructure that may be in place for 50 years,” he said.

These "reach" or "stretch" building codes, as they are known, have so far all been passed in California. The first was in Berkeley in July, then more in Northern California and recently Santa Monica in Southern California. Other cities in Massachusetts, Oregon and Washington state are contemplating them, according to the Sierra Club.

Get the News Alerts newsletter in your inbox.
Get alerted to the latest stories to stay on top of the news.

Delivery: Varies
Your Email
Some of the cities ban natural gas hookups to new construction. Others offer builders incentives if they go all-electric, much the same as they might get to take up more space on a lot if a house is extra energy-efficient. In April, Sunnyvale, a town in Silicon Valley, changed its building code to offer a density bonus to all-electric developments.

No more gas stoves?
The building codes apply only to new construction beginning in 2020, so they aren’t an issue for anyone in an already-built home.

Probably the biggest stumbling block for most pondering an all-electric home is the prospect of not having a gas stove.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
GB1

J
jimy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
This is coming from a state has been shutting off electricity to thousands of customers for months.

This should be a real money saver huh ?

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I guess a smart perso would need a diesel generatir

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Those people out there are nuts!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
from the article:

"The building codes apply only to new construction beginning in 2020, so they aren’t an issue for anyone in an already-built home."

They'll get around to eliminating the existing gas appliances soon after passing this legislation

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coming soon to CA- registration of generators and BBQ tanks, followed by confiscation.

A precedent was set with bump stocks that will be applied to whatever is considered to be the next evil.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
from the article:

"The building codes apply only to new construction beginning in 2020, so they aren’t an issue for anyone in an already-built home."

They'll get around to eliminating the existing gas appliances soon after passing this legislation

Oh sure. Carbon tax on all new gas appliances to double their cost. Idiots.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If our country would shut down anything powered by fossil fuels in any way, the general public would have all the idiot's heads on a pike by the end of that experiment.

Includes elec. generated by coal, & NG...

People don't have a clue.

Their grocery shelves would be empty in hours, all grids would be down, pretty much instant regression by 200 years.

All their emotion fueled ideas would die with them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A more effective path to reducing CO2 emissions would be to reduce the planet's population by 80%, give or take a little.

Got fleas?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Well, I have 3 bbq's, one gas, one charcoal, one electric so I'm covered that way.

Just installed a high $ professional-grade domestic gas stove after years of hatefully using one of those crappy flat-top electric ranges. For that reason, they can go flagellate themselves.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
First bump stocks next rubber bands.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
A more effective path to reducing CO2 emissions would be to reduce the planet's population by 80%, give or take a little.

Got fleas?

All liberals would be a good start on that experiment.... laugh

But in order for one to believe that getting rid of mankind would change anything related to the earth, weather, warming or cooling by any significant amount, you would be a card carrying member of the global warming religion...

I don't believe that BS. Not in the least.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They are insane. Natural gas is a very clean form of energy. We are the Saudi Arabia of natural gas, and we have enough to last us for 200 years, if we used natural gas and nothing else for energy. It is clean burning.
And they demand electric only, where do they think the electicity comes from, at night when there is no wind. Either coal or nuke, and libs hate nuke.

My state is really backwards. We have a huge coal fired electric plant in Asheville NC, next year, they are going to switch it over to natural gas.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Got fleas?

But in order for one to believe that getting rid of mankind would change anything related to the earth, weather, warming or cooling by any significant amount, you would be a card carrying member of the global warming religion...

I got a problem with their theories as well.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have an electric stove.

Its probably from the 70's.

In no hurry to replace it....but it did die I would go with gas.

The is sure a difference!

Go for it California! We will start farming wind up here and seriously cash in!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If our country would shut down anything powered by fossil fuels in any way, the general public would have all the idiot's heads on a pike by the end of that experiment.

Includes elec. generated by coal, & NG...

People don't have a clue.

Their grocery shelves would be empty in hours, all grids would be down, pretty much instant regression by 200 years.

All their emotion fueled ideas would die with them.

I'm telling you. It all started when the SCOTUS said you can't lock up crazy people.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Got fleas?

Hell, I don’t either, but I could fake it, if it meant eradicating f’ing GD liberals...

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Let them cook or heat on solar panels. Shipping out the welfare state in every urban hub would be a much better plan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes they can't get any crazier.
California has the HIGHEST ELECTRIC rates in the nation and going up.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Do they have any clue as to where electricity comes from? GD

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 79 invisible), 2,867 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,724
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.