Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had a tornado near my house 8 years ago that blew some shingles off. When the insurance adjuster looked at it he found hail damage too and they paid for a new roof. Metal was only a few hundred more than going back to shingles so I gladly paid the difference out of pocket. I'll probably never have to do the roof again in my lifetime. Wouldn't go back to shingles.

Rain noise isn't a problem. But during the early fall it is often perfect to sleep at night with the windows open. I have several oak trees near the house and when an acorn falls on the roof at 2 AM with the windows open it sounds like a gunshot. The 1st time that happened was interesting, but once I figured out what was happening I don't even pay attention any more.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dale06

May be building a house. What’s the pro con of metal roofs?
Will be in an area that gets some hail ( Minnesota)
How noisy are they when it rains?

If the hail is substantial I'd hard pass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The metal roof on my house is about 120 years old.
I would never consider shingles again.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by broomd
I'll be the dissenter.
Built my home and shop in 2007. Shop got metal and home got three tab.

The shingle looks much richer than the metal.
Our good friend and neighbor built a gorgeous home, but his metal roof looks cheap as hell. Regrettable.
It's not maintenance free either, and it's noisy, our shop constantly pops and groans.

Can always tell the metal roofed homes around here, they are the ones with 6 feet of snow on the decks and everywhere else until April.

No free lunch.

There is the cosmetic concern. On some houses they just don't look right. Stay away from silver-colored - makes the house look like a machine shed.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you go with 5v which has exposed screw heads make sure to use the umbrellas screws if you are worried about your rubber grommets deteriorating and causing leaks. The grommets usually last about 15 years in a hot coastal environment and longer inland.

If it were me I would go with standing seam with screw fins in no less than 26 ga.

If going with a color make sure to get a ceramic based paint colored metal or Kynar style as the poly paints will fade. Make sure to read color warranties as well.

Also make sure to use a High temp tile and metal rated ice and water underneath the metal and not felt or low temp ice and water, especially in areas with higher temps. If you don't you are likely to have tar dripping down the side of your house.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
You will like a metal roof, cell phones may need a booster to work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by broomd
Originally Posted by dale06

May be building a house. What’s the pro con of metal roofs?
Will be in an area that gets some hail ( Minnesota)
How noisy are they when it rains?

If the hail is substantial I'd hard pass.

only if you put it up on perlings….My metal roof lays flat on OSB and it survived actual 6" diameter hail a few years back. Some folks had hail stones actually drop to the floor of their living room.....

I had hi density poly foamed under the OSB 2" thick...one can barely hear rain when it happens here.

I'm 100% sold on the steel roof.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
100% sold on standing seam galvalume 24 gauge with foam insulation underneath. Best move made on my home.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We are going on seventeen years with a metal roof as slumlord posted on our place in north Idaho. It seems some pretty healthy winters. Zero issues. We have a standing seam metal roof on our place in Texas. While it obviously doesn't see snow it does see heat, lots of rain and hail. It is going on twelve years and, short of some hail dings, looks new. Metal is all I will ever own.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JMR40
I had a tornado near my house 8 years ago that blew some shingles off. When the insurance adjuster looked at it he found hail damage too and they paid for a new roof. Metal was only a few hundred more than going back to shingles so I gladly paid the difference out of pocket. I'll probably never have to do the roof again in my lifetime. Wouldn't go back to shingles.

Rain noise isn't a problem. But during the early fall it is often perfect to sleep at night with the windows open. I have several oak trees near the house and when an acorn falls on the roof at 2 AM with the windows open it sounds like a gunshot. The 1st time that happened was interesting, but once I figured out what was happening I don't even pay attention any more.

A few hundo? I was quoted a difference of over $10k on a 2800 sq ft house. $16k vs $28k or thereabout.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My house is 2200 square feet, and I think my roof was around $8000. That was a while back, though. I think I said four years in a post above, but it could have been five or six years back.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by TBREW401
The best thing about metal roof-- you most likely only ever have to buy one--

I'm looking at replacing the south 1/2 of the roof at the ranch house - 'course it's only been there since '56 ! smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Great in every way. But rain is LOUD. You'll turn the radio up.

You get used to it like living by a railroad.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by northern_dave
There are no cons, besides the initial price that is.

It's all good, very, very good.

They are more expensive out of the box. That's for sure

But, they stand up to the Florida Sun very well.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You'll never be sorry you put a metal roof on. I've installed miles of it from Florida to Alaska but mostly in Montana.

I currently have a home that has a 57 year old metal roof I've considered replacing.
It doesn't leak, it's not rusted or damaged, I'm torn over if I will replace the entire roof or just the fasteners or just leave it alone.

You want to see what your home might look like with a metal roof?
Check out this link...It's a visualizer... https://www.gulfcoastsupply.com/metal-roofing/proof-my-roof/

You don't have to let the snow slide off your metal roof.

First, you can design the home so it doesn't matter if it did slide. (think monkey think)
Self shoveling roof's can be pretty handy in heavy snow country.

After the fact, there are attachments that prevent the snow from sliding. They are quite common on metal roofing installations in heavy snow country.

One such attachment is called Snow Guard, there are many different types. They can be installed in just the areas that it matters or the full length of the roof if you desire. (take note: there are no screws on the tops of the ribs on the roof in this video, it's obviously in snow country, screws on the rib tops get in the way when shoveling snow)

After recent hurricanes devastated the Florida Keys they tried to make metal roof's mandatory.
Metal roof's were the only ones left intact after these storms.
The "Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association" battled this proposal, who'd of thunk there was such a association?
https://www.flkeysnews.com/search/?q=metal+roof

Here are before and after shots of a beater home I just picked up and flipped where a metal roof was installed over three tab. The roof is 14' 8" x 50' per side or almost 15 squares in total.
Total material costs were just under 2K. That's ridge cap and vent material, screws, 28 gauge roofing panels, transition flashing, butyl tape, (I tape all overlaps), vent pipe and electrical boots and outside foam w/adhesive.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
There is what they call barn steel, and the no screws showing. Looks is the difference.

Flashing around vents is better now.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
There is what they call barn steel, and the no screws showing. Looks is the difference.

Flashing around vents is better now.

The hidden fastener metal is sometimes called Standing Seam

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, we had a metal roof put on the big house 4-5 yrs ago. Liked it so much I put a metal roof on the house I'm remodeling. Cost about $1000 more for the metal vs 25 yr. 3 tab shingles, on approx. 1800 sq ft of roof.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Steel can be used on the building sides as well.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
jar Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I built our house in 2004 put metal on the roof and on the sides. no maintenance noise level is zero. I had to put a drivway bell in , we ant hear someone pull up in the drive.seems that the metal is more reflective of the sound waves. the key is insulation.

teach your children well , ride hard, shoot straight, be involved!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

458 members (1936M71, 2ndwind, 12344mag, 1234, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 51 invisible), 1,756 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,038
Posts18,521,060
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.