-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought my son a 2006 Mazda Tribute last month. The Tribute and Escape for that year are the same vehicle. The car has 89K miles on it and is spotless. I hope it runs as good as my old co-workers Escape of the same time frame did.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My Daughter in law had a 2018 until this summer.

She was coming home from Hobbs and a black horse jumped into her lane.

She was traveling 55 and tried to brake,it was nighttime.

From the Sheriff's deputy,highway patrol and all of ER folks she should have dead.

It kept the horse from crushing her,she has glass in her body and several cuts.

Her shins were banged up and she had a headache for a week.

The car was taken by the state then the Dept of Trans.got it then the insurance got it.

I have never rode in one but it seems tough to me.

The car was totaled as well as the horse.

The so called neighbor that owned it has had a problem with any animal he has had on his place getting out.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've rented a couple of Escapes, but never driven one long term, just a week here and there. They seemed "okay" but nothing special to me. I really liked the back-up cameras on the "nicer" ones, enough that when I bought another brand of vehicle, I made sure it had a camera. Ford's camera set-up is a LOT better than Nissan's, that I can say with confidence.

We took one to Arizona when my MIL passed away, and it did a fine job, but I wasn't too impressed with it's power, Ecoboost or not, gimme a 6 banger, not a tiny four.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Escape from it and buy a CRV or Rav4.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
My wife has a 14 ecoboost

SE with a 2.0 turbo 4wd has been a great car a lot less road noise compared to RAV4.

Last edited by garddogg56; 11/12/19.
IC B2

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
As mentioned, a lot of transmission problems for a number of years, so do your research once you decide what vintage you are considering buying. Otherwise seemed to be fairly decent little vehicles, I always kinda liked them minus the tranny.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I admit I could never warm-up to fords. Wife had a new Escape as a company car a while back, think it was a '14 or 15. After delivery it sat in the driveway for a month because they told her not to drive it until the recall was done on it. Don't know why they bothered delivering it. Problem was they were catching on fire.........lovely. Had multiple problems for the following year or so and apparently so did many others with the Escape as a company vehicle because they swapped them out earlier than usual because of it, for jeep. So not a sample of one. Kinda validated my opinion of Ford, but they do sell a lot of trucks! Just haven't brought myself to try one, afraid of an expensive lesson.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I took over my wifes 2011 escape when she upgraded to a toyota.

We bought it because I got a great deal on it (new... long story) and we needed a car badly due to some breakdowns and other stuff.

It is no frills, far less refined than a toyota, honda, or even jeep. Its typical Ford.

It runs noisy. The fan comes no no matter what. Lots of engine noise. The AC isnt that cold despite plenty of work. Its not particularly room inside, and I am not a huge guy. Sub 5 10 you'll be fine, but its not roomy. It seems smaller inside than the outside would imply.

There's nothing really wrong with it. its got 115k miles on just oil change and gas. The AC has had issues and I was told this is typical. Dont know if its true.

Decent mileage. Decent value.

Inshort, very average, which is fine if you get a good price and dont have a pressing need to have thebest shiniest. Which is why it worked for us.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We have a 2010 we bought 8 years ago. It has been the most dependable, trouble free car we've ever owned. My wife loves it. She's not too impressed with the newer style. Her girlfriend has one and Etta doesn't feel it has the visibility of hers. The newer ones seems to have smaller windows. She likes hers because of the bigger windows and feels she can see better out of it. It has ample power for highway driving. We've never towed anything with it. It has good space in the back and with the seats down we've had two big dog kennels in it. It was a squeeze getting them in but they fit. Great rig in my opinion.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
My wife is somewhat interested in buying a used Ford Escape. Anybody have first hand experience with them?

[Linked Image from offthemark.com]

Dave

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Get a Honda CRV instead.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My daughter had a used Escape that she liked pretty well until it was totaled in a chain reaction collision. She replaced it with another used Escape and it was unreliable starting so she traded it for a Mazda SUV.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Here around my area the majority and cheaper priced of both new and used Ford Escapes as well as Toyota RAVs, and most other brands of small SUVs for sale are 2 wheel drive (FWD) only models. Each to their own desires but I can't help but wonder why so many buyers would even want non AWD / 4 wheel drive small SUV.

Also wondering, does anybody even make smaller SUVs in true 4 wheel drive with selectable high/low range transfer case anymore?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The crossover SUV is replacing the sedan, so folks who've been satisfied with a front wheel drive sedan tend to buy FWD crossovers. While they certainly aren't 4X4 or even AWD equivalents, FWD vehicles are plenty capable in my experience.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by joken2

Here around my area the majority and cheaper priced of both new and used Ford Escapes as well as Toyota RAVs, and most other brands of small SUVs for sale are 2 wheel drive (FWD) only models. Each to their own desires but I can't help but wonder why so many buyers would even want non AWD / 4 wheel drive small SUV.

Also wondering, does anybody even make smaller SUVs in true 4 wheel drive with selectable high/low range transfer case anymore?

I'm in the mtns of SWVA and 2WD is what I wanted, took some looking to find a CRV here in 2WD, over here at least 95% of all of the crossovers are either AWD or 4WD.
I get 4-5 MPG's better with FWD only and have a truck & full size SUV for bad weather.
The CRV is my daily driver and our fuel miser for 3-4 a month trips to Tenn.

FJB & FJT
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Front wheel drive cute utes are modern day station wagons. They haul groceries and 1.2 children around town with ease, and are higher off the ground than a sedan so Mama sees better and feels safer.

They are actually pretty ingenious fron a marketing standpoint imo, and they actually do their job well. Just think of them as the current version of a Buick Roadmaster.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunswizard
My daughter had a used Escape that she liked pretty well until it was totaled in a chain reaction collision. She replaced it with another used Escape and it was unreliable starting so she traded it for a Mazda SUV.
Praise the Lord that she wasn't totaled as was my sister in law. Those things fold up like an aluminum can in a collision. They are safer than a motorcycle in a collision except a motorcycle might easier dodge a collision.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
They rust over the rear wheel area. Other than that...no complaints over the one my mom had for years. Not as refined as the imports but not a bad car at all

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Hastings
My wife's brother and his wife and teenage son were involved in a head on collision a few years ago. They were in a Ford Escape, the other vehicle was a GMC Suburban. Each was probably going close to 60 mph. The Suburban crossed over into their lane. The occupants of the Suburban were basically shook up pretty bad. My brother in law and his son were critically injured, and his wife died instantly. The Escape was demolished. The Suburban rolled over but remained pretty well intact.

There's about a 2000 pound weight difference. The big car is always going to win. I kind of worry about that with my wife driving a Buick Regal. Sorry to hear about your family members. I they are healing up.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Hastings, sorry for your loss, but there are very few vehicles on the road (aside from other trucks) that would handle a head-on with a Suburban any better.
You're right. That's why I asked my daughter to get rid of her Kia and start hauling my little grand daughters around in something stouter like a Suburban. Weight and rigidity will almost always win.

I have a friend that always has full sized vehicles for his family and a couple weeks ago they were t-boned by a service body truck. They were in a big Lexus SUV. The SUV may be totaled but they walked away a little roughed up in his words.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 22 invisible), 1,794 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,389
Posts18,469,819
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.