Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dean foods bought a local company here Roddenberry's 15 years ago and shut it down

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Since last year when i got altered i have been eating their butter.

Stomach that they made for me don't like oleo.

If they don't make it out i guess we will have to find another supplier.
Oleo isn't food. It's plastic.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yep that's why i can't eat it .

I used to eat butter but with two kids we got out of eating it.

Was a while before i got the taste back.

Nothing better than hot cornbread with butter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dean's milk crates are the pefect seat for use in a permanent-built deer stand. Bring a foam pad and youre good for several hours.

Also great for puttin my car wash supplies in inside my cars and trucks.

👍

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Although I love dairy (we used to have one), I have become lactose intolerant over the years.
Thank the scientists for Lactaid, though!!!!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 19352012
Why is it Walmart's fault that they didn't want to pay Dean's price for milk? Isn't that free enterprise? Knock it off, ya commies.

Exactly.

Camp is where you make it.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by Lennie

The company is saddled with debt and has been unable to fund all of its workers' pensions. So on Tuesday, Dean Foods filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection to keep the business operating, reorganize its debt and help fund the pensions while it looks to sell the company.

Sorry guys, but before you all go and throw Walmart under the bus, please take a good look at this statement above.

I hate to bring some of you back to reality, but a company's spread sheet can't pay an unlimited number of workers not to work. That is what a pension is. You pay people NOT to work.

Pensions are a great benefit, if you are the beneficiary. There is a tipping point that where profitability gets outstripped by the number of people drawing a pension. This is what crippled the US steel industry and the US auto industry. It is the reason that the steel industry could make a deal with the Swedes or the Japs on a sale because they wouldn't take the pension liabilities.

My father-in- was a EE for Martian Marietta for 30 years. he retired with a good pension and benefits at age 62. He will be 93 next month, meaning that Martin has paid him NOT TO WORK longer than it paid him to work.

Everyone can easily see how that is a problem.

On the other hand, lots of companies took the route of "We will pay you less today, but promise to pay you in retirement."

They liked the system well for the first thirty years, but cry when the chickens come home to roost. Lots of pension plans would be in great shape, had the funds not been raided for corporate profits at times in the past. But hell, the same could be said for Social Security.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffA
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
hahahahaha

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Don't misunderstand me, I am sorry to hear that they are having difficulties. However, it is not all doom and gloom for dairy farmers, feed suppliers, retailers, truck drivers, etc., etc. People will still drink milk, use butter, etc. Cows will still need to be fed, etc., etc. The difference is that Dean Foods, as such, may not be the company producing it. Some other company will take over the market supply that Dean furnished. Sure, there will be some adjustments here and there, but there is not going to be a permanent void of supply of dairy products that were formerly produced by Dean Foods. Someone else will supply the products to meet the market demands. Unfortunately, some Dean employees and contractors/suppliers will be adversely effected, but the industry as a whole will not be devastated.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The industry as a whole has already been devastated' New York and Pennsylvania have lost tens of thousands of jobs. Families have lost their farms, and their way of life.

Over five years, Pennsylvania loses 6,000 farms. The latest U.S. Department of Agriculture census makes obvious what many in the industry already suspected: Pennsylvania is losing farms. More than 6,000 closed between 2012 and 2017. Lancaster County lost more than 500 farms, about a 10% drop

Last edited by jimy; 11/13/19.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe if their prices were competitive? Aren't here and there's no secret to making good butter.

Land O' Lakes is the only product Dean Foods sells here, butter and I think sour cream.

That's not the only problem Dean Foods has faced. Walmart, which was one of Dean Food's biggest customers, dropped them last year after building its own dairy plant.

If casebook studies have any truth to them vertical integration is risky if you have good suppliers. You make more money by devoting your resources to what you do best. For Walmart that's marketing. So either Walmart's stupid or Dean Foods wasn't meeting Walmart's needs. (But I don't know. That's what they teach you in school.)

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Walmart sucks for the mark it is going to leave on the evolution of business and trade in this country but in the end it's the consumer that controls everything.

No one is forcing anyone to support Walmart and it's products.
I've not shadowed the door of a Walmart in many, many years.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
That can put a serious hit on an area's economy. I know what it would do here. Southern ID has about 1/2 million cows within 100 miles of Twin Falls. The major products are cheese with a huge amount going to Chobani yogurt. ID is 3d in milk production behind CA and WI, quite a ways behind them, actually. I don't know how big dairies are in CA & WI, but in ID, the average dairy is 1200 cows with a few as large as 10,000.

Around here, if you're looking for rural property to buy, you want to spend considerable time looking at aerial photos to make sure the place isn't downwind of a large dairy. Some of the properties are for sale because they aren't livable.

WOW... I grew up on a dairy/industrial hog farms... smell don't scare me none... probably why my sniffer is not as good as it once was. smile

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Kenneth

The company is saddled with debt and has been unable to fund all of its workers' pensions. So on Tuesday, Dean Foods filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection to keep the business operating, reorganize its debt and help fund the pensions while it looks to sell the company.

Sorry guys, but before you all go and throw Walmart under the bus, please take a good look at this statement above.

I hate to bring some of you back to reality, but a company's spread sheet can't pay an unlimited number of workers not to work. That is what a pension is. You pay people NOT to work.

Pensions are a great benefit, if you are the beneficiary. There is a tipping point that where profitability gets outstripped by the number of people drawing a pension. This is what crippled the US steel industry and the US auto industry. It is the reason that the steel industry could make a deal with the Swedes or the Japs on a sale because they wouldn't take the pension liabilities.

My father-in- was a EE for Martian Marietta for 30 years. he retired with a good pension and benefits at age 62. He will be 93 next month, meaning that Martin has paid him NOT TO WORK longer than it paid him to work.

And there it is.........

BINGO... but it is so much easier to blame WMT... lmfao

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Originally Posted by Kenneth

And there it is.........

BINGO... but it is so much easier to blame WMT... lmfao

Look at where the stock market is at, if those pensions had been funded even quarterly and not used as loan collateral there would be more than enough profits made during a working mans lifetime fund his pension, lets face it some where down the line the money was stolen by bean counters , lawyers and upper management !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimy
Look at where the stock market is at, if those pensions had been funded even quarterly and not used as loan collateral there would be more than enough profits made during a working mans lifetime fund his pension, lets face it some where down the line the money was stolen by bean counters , lawyers and upper management !

And that is reality.
Poor management is what drives a company out of business, gotta hang onto your market and keep up with the times.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by jimy

And that is reality.
Poor management is what drives a company out of business, gotta hang onto your market and keep up with the times.

In all reality how does a 94 year old company become saddled in debt? Piss poor management, that's how ! There have been crimes committed and taxes evaded for any of this to happen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The dairy industry has been a victim of the medical/pharma cartels propaganda.

Originally Posted by 700LH
Bummer, we buy their butter

Same here.

When I move up north in a couple of years, I'm joining a dairy co-op where I can get raw milk. I'll be making my own butter and buttermilk too.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Dairy has been a failing industry for decades yet the farmers keep on ignoring it and pump more money into it. We enjoy Land of Lakes products but at the end of the day it’s free enterprise that dictates who survives and who doesn’t.

Lot's of dairy farms have gone under here over the past few years. Some of them had been in business a long time too. The ones that have survived have done so solely by cutting their costs to the bone, and practically working for free, hoping for a turnaround.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 222ND, 10ring1, 12344mag, 25 invisible), 1,940 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,842
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.