Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Talking to a lady friend of mine recently and her sister lives in Panama. Her sister invited her and her husband to move down there and live with her. She claims it's very cheap to live down there, but there's got to be some down side possible to take into consideration.

I also have some friends who moved to Ecuador and really like living there. Years ago I had friends who moved were snow birds in Mexico. Haven't kept up with them, but I really can't see an upside to that anymore. I just know that there are x-pats in Viet Nam, Thailand, Phillipines, and various other countries due to cheaper living.

Have any of you considered that? I haven't considered it seriously but I have to admit it's crossed my mind. Problem is many of those countries don't allow you to carry a handgun on your person. My answer, is if my gun, is not wanted, then neither am I. What's your take on this whole thing?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
No

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
State: yes

FJB & FJT
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I'll stay here in Utah........

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nope, mist counties don't have fun rights like the good old USA.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Decades ago, some Mormons we knew decided to move down to Mexico and start a compound, wonder how that's working out for them?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
So far, this is the country everybody runs to when things get bad where they are from. There is a reason for this. As far as I'm concerned the USA is the last bastion....there is no place else to go.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think about it all the time. If you don’t already have a plan, when you figure out you need one it’s too late. If you asked everyone on here how the next twenty years will play out, pretty much everyone will be way off. It’s not hard to imagine scenarios where things go downhill here faster than anyone imagines.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Talking to a lady friend of mine recently and her sister lives in Panama. Her sister invited her and her husband to move down there and live with her. She claims it's very cheap to live down there, but there's got to be some down side possible to take into consideration.

I also have some friends who moved to Ecuador and really like living there. Years ago I had friends who moved were snow birds in Mexico. Haven't kept up with them, but I really can't see an upside to that anymore. I just know that there are x-pats in Viet Nam, Thailand, Phillipines, and various other countries due to cheaper living.

Have any of you considered that? I haven't considered it seriously but I have to admit it's crossed my mind. Problem is many of those countries don't allow you to carry a handgun on your person. My answer, is if my gun, is not wanted, then neither am I. What's your take on this whole thing?

I got a friend that lives in Panama, also. Says its cheap to live down there, but from what I understand, you have to have proof of income. He loves it. I've never been there.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes there are many good options depending on your priorities. Some are a pipe dream due to money, but others are a dream because of money. In some countries in Europe your savings could essentially be doubled or tripled in buying power. Of course the countries come with culture, and you really have to assimilate, and that may be tough for some. Visiting and living are two different things. I personally see no barriers in many countries. Barriers being social acceptance, finances, medical services, crime.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ain't going anywhere.
This is my home, and
I'll die here !

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The US can get frustrating, sometimes downright aggravating...but there's no place better. We don't have a dictator for life although we seemingly have congressmen for life. This is one of the few countries left in the world where gun ownership is legal and our freedoms of speech and religion are WAY ahead of anyone else's.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
Ain't going anywhere.
This is my home, and
I'll die here !

+1

I just have to get to my desired state/location before I'm done!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I spent some time in Nicaragua. While I met a lot of very humble people that were very nice, it is also very common to have all kinds of abuses we aren't used to seeing in the US. I'm talking about corruption in govt, bribery, that sort of thing. Also, human life isn't valued in most countries like it is in the US. Life is cheap elsewhere. I won't say financially you wouldn't be *richer* in another country, but the downside far outweighs any upside, for me. Like gun ownership, relative freedom, quality of life issues.

Let's face it, people in the US are so spoiled they can't even see how good they have it. Go somewhere else and see a real food shortage, or pay $8 for a loaf of bread or a roll of toilet paper, $5 for a litre of gas, or get kidnapped for ransom, and get back to me.

LOL
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hell, I'm afraid to even visit a lot of those places. I'm happy right here where the home is. This is the greatest place on the face of the Earth.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nope, we're here for the duration. Greatest country the world has ever known ... warts and all.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have several friends / relatives that live in Panama, and are doing well. It's not the US. Sometimes, it's on the edge of Western Civilization. But, if money is an issue, the cost of living is very much cheaper there.

If you have to live on a very modest income, would you be willing to give up living in the US, vs reasonable standard of living in another place? I am doing my best to never having to answer that question.....

That said, there are some very nice rural places in South America with not many people (Argentina, Chile) with somewhat stable governments and inexpensive standards of living that I could probably get along just fine. Heck, even Eastern Russia has some places I could disappear into and be just fine. Central America is not my cup of tea.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have about 12 years to retirement

Depending on how my children are doing I fully plan to investigate living outside this country to maximize my retirement income.

Unfortunately in 12 years, alot can change including the cost of living as more retirees flock to the these locations.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I am quite happy here.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Might sell off in about 14 years and get an air-conditioned shack in the Philippines. Only time will tell.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 40 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,022
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.