Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I was using Ramcats for the last 7 years. Always had great penetration and good blood trails on my sample of around 60 whitetails. Blades werent real durable but that was only bad thing i found with them. Used the last 3 I had this season and couldnt find any locally, so switched to slick tricks. Have shot 3 deer with them so far and everyting seems good.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Early on, I saw a mechanical broadhead a friend shot a deer with that didn't open. I decided then that I would stick to the traditional broadheads. I never had a problem with them cutting or penetrating, so there was no need to change what I was using.

Harry
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Tom264
I’ve never had a problem with Rages.
I use the hypodermic 100 grain.
I’ve shot about 20 deer with it and blew through all except for 2 and those 2 were big bodied bucks.
Even at that I’ve never lost a deer to a rage.
All have been recovered within 60 yds with the preverbial red carpet trail to them.
I’ve tried slick tricks but the blood trails were miserable about 70% of the time.

Have you hit a big buck or bull in the shoulder with them? A slick trick or muzzy or Rocky M R will penetrate through and through.
I admit to watching hunting shows on TV at times and on several occasions have seen expendables fail to give good penetration and a few animals lost or not found in time to eat. I expect they would be fine on broadside rib shots.

I have seen 2 cases where the arrow was on perfect course toward a deer when the expandable caught a stem of high grass or such and did a sudden nose dive.

I don’t aim for shoulders so no I’ve never had to worry about it as for shooting them in the shoulders with a fixed blade and them blowing through and through........your gonna have to try better than that with me.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm going to try magnus stingers next year

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
I’ve shot about 20 deer with it and blew through all except for 2 and those 2 were big bodied bucks.
All have been recovered within 60 yds with the preverbial red carpet trail to them.
I’ve tried slick tricks but the blood trails were miserable about 70% of the time.

Have you hit a big buck or bull in the shoulder with them? A slick trick or muzzy or Rocky M R will penetrate through and through.
I admit to watching hunting shows on TV at times and on several occasions have seen expendables fail to give good penetration and a few animals lost or not found in time to eat. I expect they would be fine on broadside rib shots.

I have seen 2 cases where the arrow was on perfect course toward a deer when the expandable caught a stem of high grass or such and did a sudden nose dive.

I don’t aim for shoulders so no I’ve never had to worry about it as for shooting them in the shoulders with a fixed blade and them blowing through and through........your gonna have to try better than that with me.

I'm not as good a hunter as you are. I was never able to get a bear, whitetail, muley or elk step out into the open and pose broadside for me or I would drill them all broadside behind the shoulders also.

The first bull elk I killed was about 40 yards and hauling ass through big timber. The arrow did hit just behind the shoulder, though I never saw the flight or hit, and after finding a blood trail i forgot to go back later and look for the arrow which completely passed through.

The first bear i ever killed was hauling ass and angling away. It was, by the grace of God, drilled through the heart also. I wish i could get those perfect broadside shots as you do, but you wouldnt have eaten a lot of the game I got to eat.

I don't really care what you shoot. The fire is great in that one can learn much from the experiences of others. My statements aside, you're also welcome to cast aside the experiences of others posting on this.

The expandables sell because folks on TV push them and because there is a sucker born every 30 seconds.

Good luck.

Last edited by jaguartx; 11/14/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've had excellent results with Magnus Stingers on deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I'm not as good a hunter as you are. I was never able to get a bear, whitetail, muley or elk step out into the open and pose broadside for me or I would drill them all broadside behind the shoulders also.

The first bull elk I killed was about 40 yards and hauling ass through big timber. The arrow did hit just behind the shoulder, though I never saw the flight or hit, and after finding a blood trail i forgot to go back later and look for the arrow which completely passed through.

The first bear i ever killed was hauling ass and angling away. It was, by the grace of God, drilled through the heart also. I wish i could get those perfect broadside shots as you do, but you wouldnt have eaten a lot of the game I got to eat.

I don't really care what you shoot. The fire is great in that one can learn much from the experiences of others. My statements aside, you're also welcome to cast aside the experiences of others posting on this.

The expandables sell because folks on TV push them and there is a sucker born every 30 seconds.

Good luck.

Elk and bear hauling ass through the timber at 40 yards with a bow? LOL... ok.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Nope, bear was about 20 yards. It was coming down the trail I was stalking up. I didnt want it to get closer as I was downhill from it. I raised my Browning XLM and it stood up to look me over. As I drew back it bailed off the trail down toward the draw we were above. I swung through and released. Lucky shot or just blessed.

If you shoot at a lot of running jackrabbits in west Texas you can get pretty good at it after a few years.

PS. I got my B and C muley as it was running full out through thick mesquite trees also. I hit it 2 of 3 shots with a Browning Short track 308 I had never fired before.

You think all those Mexicans killed at the Alamo and Indians attacking Daniel Boones fort were just standing still waiting to be shot?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

The expandables sell because folks on TV push them and because there is a sucker born every 30 seconds.

Good luck.

Running animals.......lol
No wonder.

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Like I said. I'm not as good a hunter as you.

I would bet though, that Rost has killed more deer with a bow than you and I both have.

There used to be a dentist and his brother in Mt years ago in the early video hunting days who filmed a lot of archery kills on running, driven deer. Those guys were good at nailing deer running through thickets. I could never figure out how they did it and with recurve to boot.

BTW, I'm not good with a bow, Tom, but this guy is.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of good shots out there. Most have the good judgement and common sense not to shoot at big game like a bull elk running through the timber at 40 yards with a bow & arrow.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Not exactly broadside.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by MOGC
Lots of good shots out there. Most have the good judgement and common sense not to shoot at big game running through the timber at 40 yards.

Unless they are good.

20 yards and broad side doesnt require a good shot. It takes a good hunter, and I'm not, so I have to be a good shot.

It doesnt require the stuff it takes to make 800 yr rifle kills.

If I werent a good shot, the pack rats would be eating this rack.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]where to upload pictures

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I rarely shoot past 35 yds and as a matter of fact I can most of my critters have been shot between 25-30 yds.
Standing still....,
I don’t take running shots nor do I take a shot at walking animals.
They must be standing still or they get a pass.
Like I said my arrows with hypodermics almost always blow through.
I aim for lungs only.
I like the red carpet blood trails I get with them.
Call me names or whatever I don’t care, it works for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
Lots of good shots out there. Most have the good judgement and common sense not to shoot at big game running through the timber at 40 yards.

Unless they are good.

20 yards and broad side doesnt require a good shot. It takes a good hunter, and I'm not, so I have to be a good shot.

It doesnt require the stuff it takes to make 800 yr rifle kills.

If I werent a good shot, the pack rats would be eating this rack.

Confusing... earlier in the thread you stated you aren't a good shot with a bow?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
But he blames it on the mechanical broadheads.....

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
I rarely shoot past 35 yds and as a matter of fact I can most of my critters have been shot between 25-30 yds.
Standing still....,
I aim for lungs only.

When did i call you a name, Tom. I said you were a better hunter than me. I dont hunt well enough to be able to pass on less than perfect opportunity. You hunt well enough to be able to take the dreamed of shots.

Tell MOG im a little good but if i could afford the arrows i would be real good..
He wants to parse words. If i didnt know better id think he were jealous or possibly even a dimocrap. grin

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
But he blames it on the mechanical broadheads.....

I killed a lot of deer and one herd bull elk with the little Rocket expandables. In fact, one year I got 3 10 pt whitetails with them. But after seeing two Pros on TV have their arrows pulled down by weeds/grass/tall flowers and passing on a 4x4 raghorn due to high marsh flowers covering him i got the message.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Standing still....,
I aim for lungs only.

When did i call you a name, Tom. I said you were a better hunter than me. I dont hunt well enough to be able to pass on less than perfect opportunity. You hunt well enough to be able to take the dreamed of shots.

Tell MOG im a little good but if i could afford the arrows i would be real good..
He wants to parse words. If i didnt know better id think he were jealous or possibly even a dimocrap. grin

Dimocrap? You're the one that changes his story to suit the narrative. If that doesn't work then you get defensive and get personal in the discussion.

Last edited by MOGC; 11/14/19.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
In .30-06, I faver 180's. F**k the premiums.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 80 invisible), 2,698 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,694
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.