Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some things no one has mentioned:

How did the moose and elk survive before the white man got here and the elk and moose had no "protection"?

Was the number of Elk and Moose "when I used to hunt them" the right number, or just the number that was there?

What does the browse/graze look like now that there are fewer herbivores?

Are any of you hunters younger and do any of you hunt harder than you did in the good old days?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ribka

well that was an ignorant statement

Originally Posted by Brad
Wolf: primary excuse of lazy, crappy hunters.

Kind of. In my area, it does lead to a decrease in population but also changes the deer behavior when wolf population increases. Deer are much less likely to frequent roads, beaches, and larger openings when wolves are around. So, the traditional methods of finding deer doesn’t work well in a higher wolf abundance and people cry wolf.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sycamore

How did the moose and elk survive before the white man got here and the elk and moose had no "protection"?

Was the number of Elk and Moose "when I used to hunt them" the right number, or just the number that was there?

Are any of you hunters younger and do any of you hunt harder than you did in the good old days?

1. The elk and moose were not confined by highways subdivisions etc.... back then they could relocate to another area, until the wolves showed up, they kept moving.
2, Don't know.... it was a more productive endeavor back then
3. Fewer herbivores? as many cattle as ever for modern times... people gotta eat
4. I can only speak for myself and I don't hunt near as hard as I used to. Also seems the younger generation finds it too hard. And with fewer animals it is harder. They need some success to stay engaged.
The anti's plan is working perfectly. But you being a lib cannot connect any of those dots

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin

Kind of. In my area, it does lead to a decrease in population but also changes the deer behavior when wolf population increases. Deer are much less likely to frequent roads, beaches, and larger openings when wolves are around. So, the traditional methods of finding deer doesn’t work well in a higher wolf abundance and people cry wolf.

That is interesting Calvin, around here it seems to push them into civilization. Adapt and survive

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Hunting hard? 😎

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn flatlanders..... smile

Sycamore wouldn't know a Roosevelt from a Holstein..... wink

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Beaver10
In Oregon we can’t legally hunt them, yet....AK, MT, WY and ID have hunting seasons for them...Has that helped reduce and manage wolf numbers or are the wolves protected boundaries so large, you rarely see any while hunting the small areas open for taking a wolf?
😎

Most all of ID and MT have no areas closed to hunting wolf during their seasons (other than national parks and the like)...though some areas have quotas. The vast majority of WY classifies wolves as predators, and can be shot at any time of the year in any number. WY does have a few areas where they're classified as a game animal where a tag is needed and both a season and a quota is in place.

That said they're tough to hunt and I have seen no indication that those shot by sport hunters or trapped (or aerial gunned/poisoned) has had any overall effect. When the gov does take an entire pack out I am sure it does alleviate the pressure on deer/elk/moose/cattle, but only until another pack moves in to that area.

TI,
I hoped you’d come along...I’ve always felt your background, hunting abilities and willingness to shape the information from F&G back into a realistic and truthful model of what’s actually taking place insightful. Thanks....😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar
Damn flatlanders..... smile

Sycamore wouldn't know a Roosevelt from a Holstein..... wink

Or a mountain from a mole hill....LMAO 😎

“Molon Labe”
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by erich
We were never without wolves in northern MN, deer and moose seemed to do just fine.

The mosse are having a hell of a hard time in MN but not sure it is due to the expanding wolf population. Yes. Minnesota has always had wolves but there are far more than there were 40 years ago when I started tramping around northern MN.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
In Oregon we can’t legally hunt them, yet....AK, MT, WY and ID have hunting seasons for them...Has that helped reduce and manage wolf numbers or are the wolves protected boundaries so large, you rarely see any while hunting the small areas open for taking a wolf?
😎

Most all of ID and MT have no areas closed to hunting wolf during their seasons (other than national parks and the like)...though some areas have quotas. The vast majority of WY classifies wolves as predators, and can be shot at any time of the year in any number. WY does have a few areas where they're classified as a game animal where a tag is needed and both a season and a quota is in place.

That said they're tough to hunt and I have seen no indication that those shot by sport hunters or trapped (or aerial gunned/poisoned) has had any overall effect. When the gov does take an entire pack out I am sure it does alleviate the pressure on deer/elk/moose/cattle, but only until another pack moves in to that area.

TI,
I hoped you’d come along...I’ve always felt your background, hunting abilities and willingness to shape the information from F&G back into a realistic and truthful model of what’s actually taking place is insightful. Thanks....😎

No problem Beav...always willing to share what I have learned and observed...

Way back in 2009 I was hunting Montana elk for (I believe) the 31st or 32nd day, when I happen across the first two elk I had seen that year...when this guy came running out after them.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I never did see another elk that season. I have seen a couple elk in that same area since, so maybe that area is "balancing"....if one believes in such a thing. I've called a few wolves in since, goofed up on some other incidental opportunities, plus had a guy I was with shoot another big male that I called in, but I haven't killed one since. I don't particularly care for them, but they're here to stay so I've learned to tolerate them and see them as another critter to hunt.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Awesome trophy Ti.....

No wolves were harmed in my pic...... notice woof howler.... I tried

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some things no one has mentioned:How did the moose and elk survive before the white man got here and the elk and moose had no "protection"?
It seems Lewis and Clark had to eat 190 dogs and a dozen horses while traveling through pristine wolf country and at that almost starved.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Originally Posted by Strick9
Do some of you really not see that the Wolf intro is but an arm of the Deep State Swamp ?

Wolves were reintroduced under the obligation of the Endangered Species Act. Funny thing is the non native wolf they brought here killed the last few of the original native wolf populations. I think it is more a case of do gooders and the laws of unintended consequences.

Disagree , when unintended consequences turn into areas of wiped out game animals , ranchers losing large sums of money , folks pets killed , hunters hounds killed , do-gooders would except that there are enough wolves . But no they fight every step of the way and spend untold amounts of money to protect the wolves above all else .

I use to keep up with the wolf stuff - hunted them a lot when i lived in Idaho 07-08 .

There have been wolves in many of the places that just now States are admitting they're there .
A wolf from the Boise pack was killed by a vehicle south of Pendleton , OR. in 2006 , there were pics of wolves in central Washington state around the same time .
There was a confirmed wolf in colorado about that time period also .
Thread on LRHunting - people see and hear wolves in missouri , my younger brother Tony & I saw a wolf in sw Arkansas in 1979 - plain as day . It crossed the road in front of us and when i slowed to look at it - it stopped and stared back at us from a pasture maybe 80 yards away , got a good long look at it .
SW Idaho corner to NE California corner is only a couple of hundred miles distance - there were wolves in the Ohyhees desert in 2007 I saw a desert mule deer kill with fresh tracks as big as my hand . Ranchers in the area told me - there had always been wolves down there , skip and a hop from Nevada . How long would take a wolf or wolves to scout out that distance ?
There are a lot more wolves in a lot more places that only the people who have seen them know about .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They certainly don’t help. Though locally I put more damage on the deer population to black bears. Bears are crafty at catching those fresh dropped fawns.

Oh and the road guys shooting does and then wondering why they don’t see deer on the roads anymore.

Yup.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hastings,

That part of Lewis and Clark's journey was along a major Indian route over the Rockies. There were few game animals not because of wolves, but because of Indians, who constantly traveled the route during late spring, summer and early fall. They not only hunted along the route, but the horses they rode (and used to pack their gear and game), grazed the hell out of it. I've read various versions of the L&C journals several times, and cannot remember them seeing many (if any) wolves in that area.

Meanwhile, they had no difficulty living off wild game when they journeyed up and down the Missouri River through the plains--where they saw plenty of wolves near the very abundant bison herds. Along with buffalo, they also saw and ate plenty of deer and elk. However, some of today's anthropologists and historians suspect the abundant plains game was partially due to recent epidemics that killed off thousands of the major predators of the plains, the members of various tribes.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I wouldn't be at all surprised if wolves have already reached the washing/oregon 'wetside' a lot of cover to sneak around in there . They're confirmed in Northern California - so why wouldn't they be ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Another wolf expert chimes in

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Do the wolves in Alaska push the deer , elk and moose and caribou from the back country down to private ranches and sub divisions like in the lower 48? Can you hunt, trap a wolves in Alaska? Can you hunt wolves in Oregon or Washington or Minnesota?

Comparing Alaska to states like Washington,human pop 7.5 million or Michigan population over 10 million is a bit ridiculous. Maybe sycamore, who zero experience with wolves, can chime in

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I wouldn't be at all surprised if wolves have already reached the washing/oregon 'wetside' a lot of cover to sneak around in there . They're confirmed in Northern California - so why wouldn't they be ?

Mike,
2 years ago while deer hunting on the Oregon Coast I spotted what I initially thought was a large coyote at 200 or so yards. I got my glass on it, and aside from a heavy, thick coat, which isn’t uncommon for our coyotes to be sporting in late October, I could tell this animal looked different than any coyote I have seen across multiple states I’ve hunted them.

This animal was tall from the ground to its shoulders, I guess based on the small Christmas Tree in the background to be something in the neighborhood of 2.5-3’ft tall...It’s snout was broader and blocked, not long and sharp, and ears were short compared to any coyote I’ve seen or shot.

I actually thought I was looking at someone’s pet husky dog. Coloration was a mixed coat of light brown with grayish white. I watched it as it stood looking at something for a couple minutes before it disappeared into cover.

If it was a coyote, it was the biggest, strangest looking dog I’ve ever seen...😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Do the wolves in Alaska push the deer , elk and moose and caribou from the back country down to private ranches and sub divisions like in the lower 48? Can you hunt, trap a wolves in Alaska? Can you hunt wolves in Oregon or Washington or Minnesota?

Comparing Alaska to states like Washington,human pop 7.5 million or Michigan population over 10 million is a bit ridiculous. Maybe sycamore, who zero experience with wolves, can chime in

Oregon is a no on wolf hunting...😎

“Molon Labe”
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

315 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,842
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.