Page 6 of 22 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 21 22
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
All due respect btw Jordan

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I take my deer hunting pretty fuuckin seriously. If my equiment was costing me deer I wouldn't keep using it but somehow I've managed to fill multiple tags every year since the mid 70's with the cheap crap I can afford.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by fredIII

I prefer SFP for hunting and toast is [bleep], biscuits and gravy is where it’s at.

You'll see the light one day, Fred. grin

Oh, and I'm with you on the biscuits and gravy. God's breakfast.

I have FFP just don’t like it over SFP for killing game. If I was on a hill shoot bad guys and needed to protect guys I cared about a FFP would be great and I can Guarantee that I would know every hold bye heart between 100 and1500 on that reticle. But no matter what I hunt I promise I will make sure my guns zeroed as I still haven’t mastered walking on water.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I take my deer hunting pretty fuuckin seriously. If my equiment was costing me deer I wouldn't keep using it but somehow I've managed to fill multiple tags every year since the mid 70's with the cheap crap I can afford.

Exactly, and I buy more tags and hunt more than the VAST majority of folks here, for a fact... as I said, caint cuss something that’s never done me dirty...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I knew a guy hunted a Sauer 202 rifle in 270 with a $30 Bushnell scope on it for 35 years. Thing shot like a house a fire, like 1/2" with my handloads, and always worked. Go figure.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Judman
So, I don’t use the most reliable equipment I can get?

Everybody's got to determine that for themselves wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I prefer SFP for hunting and toast is [bleep], biscuits and gravy is where it’s at.

I have FFP just don’t like it over SFP for killing game. If I was on a hill shoot bad guys and needed to protect guys I cared about a FFP would be great and I can Guarantee that I would know every hold bye heart between 100 and1500 on that reticle. But no matter what I hunt I promise I will make sure my guns zeroed as I still haven’t mastered walking on water.

That was just a quick jab, Fred. wink I know you've used both for killing game and obviously have developed preferences, just as I have long ago, though my preference ended up on the other side of the line with FFP...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Exactly, and I buy more tags and hunt more than the VAST majority of folks here, for a fact... as I said, caint cuss something that’s never done me dirty...

Your scopes have worked well for you, and I don't think there's a single sensible guy here that would tell you that you need to swap out all your scopes. But my experience has led me to make scope choices that are difference from yours. Different strokes...

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
It's a great thing we have so many choices in scopes. I have strong preferences. My concern now is who is going to take care of my three or so Nikon's now that these scopes are being discontinued.

First up, Leupold's had friction adjustments hunting scopes for years. For those of us who used them it was no problem. The only problem on older scopes was different graduations on the dials depending on age.

The scopes that Leupold had replaced under warranty were ancient as scopes go. I had owned two of those replaced scopes for over thirty years. I still get a bunch of crap over these older scopes being usable. Usually, it's all about hunting at twilight. So what, I don't hunt at twilight. Silly me, could it be that I'm hearing advertising repeated as experience. Surely, not!

Several years ago I had gotten two 3x9 Leupold's. Bubba had really done a job putting on scope rings and using red locktite to make sure nothing went wrong. The screw heads had to be bored out to remove the rings. One scope appeared to have a problem. Leupold rebuilt the windage and elevation adjustments. I'd write that off as a Bubba attack aftermath. Several times scopes have checked out and returned. Sure enough this was an owner problem. It was a good thing to remove the scope as a variable setting up a pre-owned rifle.

My buy lately on a $300.00 scope was the Leupold VX-3i 3.5x10. If there was money I would have bought a dozen of those scopes. The Leupold scope was a replacement for a older Burris 3x9x50. I have a fit with the Burris scope. Finally, I've had enough and bought the Leupold. No, nothing was wrong with the Burris. I did not like the scope. There is a world of difference between "don't like" and "no good." I'd like to know how many times scopes returned for repairs etc. are for owner problems. That has been me.

Last edited by Roundball1; 11/24/19.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Had a friend work as a manager in a large sporting goods chain store. He said of all the scopes his store warrantied there was not a single one that had anything wrong with it.
I think many times when a scope is suspect because it does not hold zero. The real culprit is the stress existing somewhere in the rings and bases. Over time this stress is relieved by warm cold cycles and by occasional jarring of the scope and mount system. Leupold bases with turn in front ring and windage adjustable rear bases can cause a lot of issues if not totally relieved of stress. Which is difficult to obtain and determine . Have always
thought there were a very bad idea although have at times used them successfully.

Last edited by foogle; 11/24/19.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

That was just a quick jab, Fred. wink I know you've used both for killing game and obviously have developed preferences, just as I have long ago, though my preference ended up on the other side of the line with FFP...

👍. We’re good. And I know ya zero first.

EWR Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a couple of real old Bushnell sportview scopes. They were around the $50 Mark iirc when I bought them. They have both collected venison quite a few times over the years. They are both still going strong. My wife bought me a Bushnell elite 3500 for Christmas a couple of years ago.
It cost more than all my other scopes I own combined.
It has gone down on me ( exchanged free of charge both times by Bushnell) twice due to internal fogging when it rained.
As far as trackability I'm one of the people who have no idea because I mount the scope and sight in. Then forget about it till I check my zero before season.
Works for me but everyones needs are different I suppose.
Peace
Eric

"My German Shepherd is my best friend,but he could be your worst enemy"
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Stating this as a question.

A SFP makes sense to me in the 3-9’ish range but doesn’t make sense in say the 5-20’ish range. Seems conditions wouldn’t allow the best use of 20X a lot of times hunting.

Thoughts?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Everyone has different needs and I was reminded Friday, different abilities to use their purchase..

A buddy wanted to sight in out in the back pasture. He'd had the scopes adjusted at the local gun store first.
He was a foot low and 8" right at 100 yards on all three rifles so wanted to take them back to the store for adjustment... crazy
I encouraged him to sit still and work it out so he promptly adjusted all three the wrong way. shocked

I'd moved a Leupold VXII 3-9 to the 243 and shot more than I wanted as it doesn't track. I chased it around a bit to get it where I wanted.
It was a gift and works fine once it's worked out so I'll keep it.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have had problems of one kind or another with every scope except Leupold. Bought my first Leupold a Vari-XII 3-9x in 1975 and have owned nothing else since, never any problems with Leupold. I prefer the older Vari-XII's over Leupold's current offerings.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by peeshooter

I thought you said second focal plane scopes are 100% worthless. LMFAO!

Feel free to quote where I said exactly that. I’ve killed more in a single week with SFP scopes than a lot of “hunters” will kill in their lifetime. For medium to long range use SFP introduces potential issues that do not need to be there.

I’ve killed a bunch of animals with scopes on muzzleloaders that never had a single round put on paper. I’ve killed deer after mounting a scope without ever firing a shot before killing the animal. I’ve killed them with iron sights, peep sights, BSA’s, Leupolds, Vortex, Zeiss, Swaro, etc, etc, etc.

So what. Because it can hit a 12” target at 50 paces it’s “good”. No. A scope is supposed to steer bullets correctly and consistently. A toaster is supposed to toast my bread. If it burns, I’m not happy just because the bread is edible.

Wow!!! A truck is supposed to start every day, sometimes the don’t.... Barnes bullets are supposed to mushroom perfectly, lotsa times they lose pedals... expandable broadheads are supposed to open on contact.... custom rifle barrels are supposed to shoot moa.... people aren’t supposed to lie.... god is for real... and on and on....

And a single period is supposed to conclude a sentence.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by foogle
Had a friend work as a manager in a large sporting goods chain store. He said of all the scopes his store warrantied there was not a single one that had anything wrong with it.

Not sure what you're saying here, are you talking about scopes that people brought in for repar or warranty issues?

It's hard to believe that not a single scope of any brand ever malfunctioned, or that the manager of the store would be in a position to make that kind of determination. Did he take the scopes apart and do the warranty work himself?

On the whole concept of "I've killed a sh**-loaf of game with XXX-brand scope so I know they're all I need, it's hard to argue with that logic.

When I lived back east I almost never got a shot over 100 yards hunting in the big hardwood stands. Scope adjustments and their reliability were not something that mattered to me.

That didn't mean they're ot important to other people who hunt differently than I did.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
Stating this as a question.

A SFP makes sense to me in the 3-9’ish range but doesn’t make sense in say the 5-20’ish range. Seems conditions wouldn’t allow the best use of 20X a lot of times hunting.

Thoughts?

I agree, although I have a Bushnell 4500, 6-24 that the mildot is true at 12X , I like that. Also a Vortex 6-20 that mils at 14X and those are useful.

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by foogle

Not sure what you're saying here, are you talking about scopes that people brought in for repar or warranty issues?

It's hard to believe that not a single scope of any brand ever malfunctioned, or that the manager of the store would be in a position to make that kind of determination. Did he take the scopes apart and do the warranty work himself?

Not so if you are one who believes everything you are told, and there are more than a few.

laissez les bons temps rouler
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by 16bore
According to the masses...

There are a slew of scopes on the market, but it seems there’s only a few held in high regard. Obviously SWFA has cornered a pretty damn good market share. I reckon Nightforce is unquestionable. Leupold had/has its day and so on.

The art of the $300 rifle has been perfected. RAR, Savage, 783, Mossberg, Marlin, etc. easy to find a rifle and ammo that are plenty accurate.

But when it comes to scopes, there’s SWFA and ???

Are tracking and reliability something new? You’d think that for every $300 rifle, there would be a 1/2 dozen $300 scopes suited to the task.

What gives?

Because one man's trash is another man's treasure. I know people that kill game every year with $50 scopes. Now that ain't me but then I don't have too many $1000 scopes either. I also like Leupold and Nikon and even have one old steel tube 1979 year model Weaver K-6 which I like.

I'm not a turret twister though. I know leupold sucks at tracking, but once you set 'em they stay right there, or at least that's been my experience.

However, I'm beginning to rethink my modis operendie. My neighber is a turret twister. He has a Zeiss Conguest, I think a 4-12x 42 or something that tracks on a dime. He just killed a 285 pound 24 inch spread whitetail in Sasckatuwan (however ya spell it) Canada with his Mossberg .270 WSM with said Zeiss Conguest at 330 yards and he cranked the turret to the exact hold over and killed it DRT! First Shot.

But whether you're a turret cranker or a Kentucky windage-holdover master, what ever works best for you is what you should do. Just practice whatever you do to the point where when it comes down to the nut cuttin' you can make the kill ethically. So don't knock someone elses choice because he/she may come home one day with the wall hanger of a lifetime that makes everything you ever killed look like an antlered possum, LOL!

Last edited by Filaman; 11/24/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Page 6 of 22 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

269 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 37 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,048
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.