Hop To
Page 7 of 22 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 21 22
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by foogle
Had a friend work as a manager in a large sporting goods chain store. He said of all the scopes his store warrantied there was not a single one that had anything wrong with it.

My BS meter is pegged out past overload.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Filaman

However, I'm beginning to rethink my modis operendie. My neighber is a turret twister. He has a Zeiss Conguest, I think a 4-12x 42 or something that tracks on a dime. He just killed a 285 pound 24 inch spread whitetail in Sasckatuwan (however ya spell it) Canada with his Mossberg .270 WSM with said Zeiss Conguest at 330 yards and he cranked the turret to the exact hold over and killed it DRT! First Shot.

Did the same on a Doe at 358 with a Leupold 6x42 on a Nula 7mm-08. One apple pies....

Last edited by battue; 11/24/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
shouldn't need to do any turret twisting to kill a deer at 330 yards with a .270 WSM.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Jud, Bama says Leupold scopes suck. Bama is right. Dead critters don't prove [bleep].

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
shouldn't need to do any turret twisting to kill a deer at 330 yards with a .270 WSM.

Correct. I shot another at 330 with a 4x Leupold with a 3 minute dot. Placed the bottom of the dot on the back line. Which took care of 4+inches of the approximately 9 inches of drop.

However, 330 or a little more isn’t the game the LR people play. Thus I can see were they may see the need to upgrade their equipment to what gives them an increased confidence level.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by foogle
Had a friend work as a manager in a large sporting goods chain store. He said of all the scopes his store warrantied there was not a single one that had anything wrong with it.

My BS meter is pegged out past overload.

After watching the Leupold Live Stream, I’m 100% they believe the exact thing and that kinda shiddy attitude will absolutely trickle down to retailers.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scope choice is just that, a choice...Some will learn about an optic that’s different than what they are accustomed to using, but see a benefit that a new scope can provide them in their hunting situation and decide to try one.

I wish I could care enough about what someone else wants to use as a scope, but, I just don’t...I’m sitting here in Georgia coming off a whitetail deer hunt out of an elevated blind that looked over a food plot surrounded by dense timber. My farthest shot...140 yards.

Did I need my Nightforce? Heck No! Any scope that was a set and forget and had good light gathering capabilities would have been just fine...Now, you change the hunting environment to steep, deep, heavy timber with wide open clear cuts that reach out 800 yards and beyond, where just getting to a position to start hunting can cause you to slip, stumble and fall with your scoped rifle, a guy may see the value in running a known to be robust optic that can take an unexpected hard knock.

It’s a choice...I hate absolutes as they don’t always hold water in every situation...You take Forms situation, look at his gear, his rigs, his optics - every single piece of gear looks like it’s been left in a Section 8 Housing Complex for addled minded drugheads to use and abuse for generations. His case is easy to understand why he needs equipment capable of sucking up the abuse from 1000’s upon 1000’s of rounds and users.

Bottom line, one size doesn’t fit everyone. If you’ve had the chance to hunt multiple states from East to West like some of us have. You’ll understand why some hunting environments, situations, and hunt style don’t necessarily require bomb proof gear. It’s that simple.

PS

For CumCowboy, I ran a FFP NightForce in dense, thick woody shît and I had zero problems in lowlight tracking a buck I spotted in the woods at 100 yards on low power until he stepped out into the open and into my reticle. I didn’t need to increase my power ring to see my reticle...Hey, but I shoot a lot and don’t fuss over small stuff when it comes to smacking fur.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Let the whine continue. I just had a epic leupold failure, that’s gonna cost me a bone out pack from hell, pics in a few hours.... 🖕🏿🤘😆

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Jud, Bama says Leupold scopes suck. Bama is right. Dead critters don't prove [bleep].

I love you Bama, I’m not gonna argue with you!! 🤣🤣

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Judman
Let the whine continue. I just had a epic leupold failure, that’s gonna cost me a bone out pack from hell, pics in a few hours.... 🖕🏿🤘😆

To the point I made earlier, Leupold may not be the most reliable/robust scope in the world, but apparently it’s reliable enough to cause you some miserable pack-out jobs. Sorry to hear about your success. Prayers sent.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Got to love 2019. People posting on the campfire while hunting

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin

.....and scopes still don’t work. According to some.

A sub 12oz set and forget 6x with MQ reticle would be a dandy, but I’m the only one that wants one.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 16bore

A sub 12oz set and forget 6x with MQ reticle would be a dandy, but I’m the only one that wants one.

I’d buy one today...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hate to even ask this but I need to know. I have people ask me real often what to buy for an inexpensive scope. They usually have an acceptable rifle that came with a piece of crap scope as a package deal. I have been advising them to try a Simmons Whitetail since they almost always are looking for one under $100. First thing I tell them is they would be better off with a $100 rifle and a $600 scope but that doesn't interest these folks. Is the Simmons OK? I checked a lot of rednecks using them when I was patrolling and they liked Simmons and killed a lot of deer using them.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Judman

To the point I made earlier, Leupold may not be the most reliable/robust scope in the world, but apparently it’s reliable enough to cause you some miserable pack-out jobs. Sorry to hear about your success. Prayers sent.

Prayers worked!!! 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 16bore

.....and scopes still don’t work. According to some.

They really don’t, I steal pics, I lie , I spend copious amounts of time on the couch pretending... 🤣🤣

I’m actually excited I get cell service in bf Idaho, handy when you hunt solo all the time... maybe Alaska will get on board eventually?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice buck Jud. You're knockin' em down regularly with those Leupy's. Nice work!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If a less-costly scope fails, it is just desserts for the cheap-ass that tried to get by with it. If a more costly scope fails, it is tragic, but just one of those things as even the best can fail sometimes. At least, that's how I've come to understand the situation from reading here at the 'fire over the years.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 7 of 22 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 55 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,816
Posts18,496,463
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.