Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can move to the deer, it's just called trespassing 😁

Last year the baiting ban helped us, we were in the deer. This year I only seen 1 doe it about 2 weeks. Between all the logging going on, which has gone crazy this year and it's going on on our property also, poachers (sorry, folks that do just a single shot sight in at daybreak a month before gun) and the number of hunters the deer really changed there routines. [bleep] happens I guess.

I do know DNR has to come up with something, besides screwing it up more. With more modern weapons, and the way they are treating this CWD scare, I cant see hunting being good for big bucks in the coming years. I swear spots don't stop some hunters.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I should add that the guys that got the deer, in my group did use bait! the rest of us that didnt bait, didnt get Deer , Im still hunting, Probly take today off as its sposed to rain all day!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Lots of season left. 8 point came in trailing a doe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ihookem
I have never hunted there but always wanted to get to the Upper Peninsula . One day I will just drop my stuff and go.

I thought for sure that you would be up here this year. I hope your Wisconsin season goes well.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by Whelenman
I have never bought a combo license, but I assume the first license you can get any buck as long as it has 3 inch antlers, the second has to have 4 points on a side.

Yet I hear guys every year that shoot a buck that is an 8 point or bigger and tag with the second license! Is that legal???

Yep it’s just like you said; one tag for any buck 3” or longer on one side, and the other 4 points on one side. Doesn’t matter what order you shoot them in only the antler points on the buck they’re placed upon.

Except in the U. P. If you buy the single buck tag it is 3" on a side or better. If you buy the two buck tag, then it's 3 points on a side for unrestricted, and 4 points on a side for the restricted. That's why I buy the single buck tag. I don't want to end up shooting a buck that doesn't have brow pegs.

Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a 2-1/2 year old U. P. buck. I can't get the image from the Image gallery into the thread. If you can do it, then great. If you can explain it, then even better. I've only been able to do this once, so any help is appreciated. Why this forum is so much more difficult than others is beyond me.
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14306257#Post14306257[/img]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by efw

I’ve lived in Michigan all my life, been traveling north for the past 20 years or so, all public land, and have never experienced what is described here.

As a matter of fact, the closest I’ve ever seen to this wasn’t up north but right here by GR... with people hunting locally.

As a matter of fact, in the area where my party hunts I’ve seen one hunter outside our group while hunting since we started in 2012... and he was lost and looking for assistance in getting his bearings.

When our area is over run or has too few deer we go find another. They’re there if you’re willing to do the work of finding them. We hunted Manistee Natl Forest up by Baldwin for years and needed to find a place w/ more deer. We did and it didn’t take much to do so.

Seems weird to blame other people for a bad experience on public land??

You've been fortunate because they are out there. I've had them walk in, see me and sit 30 yards away. One found my 82 year old fathers blind and set a pop up to cut him off. Caught another two on trail cam walking around on the 14th looking for a spot, look at my blind, then set a pop up and climber 50 yards away. I have several others, but slob hunters are out there. I get it's public and you have to deal with certain situations and accept them, but with 1000s of acres, if you're not prepared, show some courtesy and move on. Can't put those experiences on oneself, some are selfish and inconsiderate. Fortunately now where we are, most have been great and it's a great experience.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Youper
Here is a 2-1/2 year old U. P. buck. I can't get the image from the Image gallery into the thread. If you can do it, then great. If you can explain it, then even better. I've only been able to do this once, so any help is appreciated. Why this forum is so much more difficult than others is beyond me.
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14306257#Post14306257[/img]

Here you go, I just threw it in my Imgur accout, easier for me. Was he aged by the DNR?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are talking about making the opener on the 5th. Wonder what that will do to the rut. That means our deer will be nocturnal on the 6th...lol

I'm not for it. In the cwd area, that would be almost 2 months of gun.

Some areas it may help, not by me though (yes I'm being selfish).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
They are talking about making the opener on the 5th. Wonder what that will do to the rut. That means our deer will be nocturnal on the 6th...lol

I say open the gun season the same time as archery season! Fare is fare!

Either that or let the have to go back to recurve bows. There I said it!!!

Last edited by Whelenman; 11/24/19.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The gun season already has a jump start in September with the "drag a kid along" Liberty Hunt, baiting allowed.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The gun season really opens when you get a crossbow and hunt in your blind over a pile of bait. There is really no difference between the two anymore. I could get a crossbow and hunt all through the rut and would all but guarantee a buck.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Originally Posted by Joel/AK

I say open the gun season the same time as archery season! Fare is fare!

Either that or let the have to go back to recurve bows. There I said it!!!

I suggested that in another forum. Just make it a general season, any weapon but I want APR's myself and throw in doe tags for firearms. They want to increase hunting #'s . Get rid of all special seasons. Just my worthless 2 cents

I'm still not for changing it but if they are going too, just make it straight across the board. I also want to use my damn 45/70 here in SW mi.

Last edited by Joel/AK; 11/25/19.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Have hunted Mi. close to 50 yrs now. First 30 yrs on state land, mostly the mid lower peninsula. I have experienced all the irritating stuff already described. Our only remedy was to sit all day and watch the deer being pushed around all day. Live & hunt less than 20 acres in the northern lower now with regular success.
For what it's worth I've done better without bait just by sitting in travel routes.
Another for what its worth. A crossbow isn't a rifle but I still prefer a compound myself. As far as the season dates go, leave things the way they are. The traditional Nov. 15 opener is just that, a tradition. If CWD is the issue and the DNR wants to lower the population than keep it in those counties that are effected or is it affected? Maybe infected.
For what it's worth. Mi is a great state for hunting whitetails. Scout, prepare and hunt hard if you can. Persistence has paid off for me more than once.

Hopefully you will find this at least a little humorous.
I was notching one of my combo tags this year and because I had both tags folded together I didn't notice until it was to late but I notched both tags. They were stuck together. Never had that happen before, wouldn't be the first time that I've "donated" the cost of a license to the state.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My nephew came to hunt with me last weekend. On Saturday 11:45am he shot a nice little 6 point.
His first buck. It was a great time helping him get his deer. I enjoyed it as much as shooting one myself.
He used my 450 RAR and Hornady 250gr. Flex-Tip.
The bullet performance was less than good.
It entered the left shoulder and turned 90* down, exiting between the brisket and the foreleg.
250-300 yard tracking job found him unable to get up with his antlers entangled in an autumn olive bush.
There's an educated doe on my place that needs to die.
She's going to be my target in Muzzleloader/second rifle season, 12-6 through 22.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
My nephew came to hunt with me last weekend. On Saturday 11:45am he shot a nice little 6 point.
His first buck. It was a great time helping him get his deer. I enjoyed it as much as shooting one myself.
It entered the left shoulder and turned 90* down, exiting between the brisket and the foreleg.
250-300 yard tracking job found him unable to get up with his antlers entangled in an autumn olive bush.
She's going to be my target in Muzzleloader/second rifle season, 12-6 through 22.

Pictures mark or it didn’t happed!😁

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Mark,
That 250 gr FTX is the worst bullet I have ever used! I had the same thing happen 2 years ago, a 90 degree turn. Turning, poor penetration, jacket and core separating...ugh! My daughters use the RAR in 450 and I load the 200 gr Barnes down to about 2250 fps. It i2 or 3" high at 100 and 4" low at 200. Bullet performance is excellent. Both my dad and a daughter successfully used the set up this year. Unfortunately my Raptor hates this bullet!

You know that you can use your 450 during the muzzleloading season on your Jackson Co property?

405wcf

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 405wcf

Mark,
That 250 gr FTX is the worst bullet I have ever used! I had the same thing happen 2 years ago, a 90 degree turn. Turning, poor penetration, jacket and core separating...ugh! My daughters use the RAR in 450 and I load the 200 gr Barnes down to about 2250 fps. It i2 or 3" high at 100 and 4" low at 200. Bullet performance is excellent. Both my dad and a daughter successfully used the set up this year. Unfortunately my Raptor hates this bullet!

You know that you can use your 450 during the muzzleloading season on your Jackson Co property?

405wcf

Thankfully, yes I'll be using my 450 in the muzzleloader season. I've ordered both 200gr. and 275gr. XPB's from Barnes to reload for it. I won't have enough time to load anything up before the muzzleloader season and the factory ammo is going to be used to kill an educated doe. I'll just make sure it's a lung shot.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by M1Garand
Originally Posted by Youper

Here you go, I just threw it in my Imgur accout, easier for me. Was he aged by the DNR?

Yes, I took him to the DNR in Marquette for aging and weight.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I own the land everyone hunts on so we had a full house at deer camp here in W/C Michigan, we had a good season !!!!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.