Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by CTF
Originally Posted by haverluk
I am liking my Ruger Alaskan (pre barrel band sling stud). The action is slick! Alaska Arms QR rings and a Leupold 4x at the moment. Dropped it into a Zytel stock added a Limbsaver and I could not be happier. 7.5# bare and 8.5# scoped. This particular rifle is the 416 Ruger but the same could be done to a 375 Ruger. The investment cost was well worth the return! I have also established that 400 grains at 2400 fps out of a 7.5 pound rifle is about my limit for comfort and control crazy
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yup, that would be lively.
Weight is a constant. Recoil is temporary 😀

I think Matt want's to be gunner500 when he grows up... laugh

That gun is a good start...

gunner would approve.

DF

I do aspire to reach that level of awesomeness!

Semper Fi

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by CTF
I am liking my Ruger Alaskan (pre barrel band sling stud). The action is slick! Alaska Arms QR rings and a Leupold 4x at the moment. Dropped it into a Zytel stock added a Limbsaver and I could not be happier. 7.5# bare and 8.5# scoped. This particular rifle is the 416 Ruger but the same could be done to a 375 Ruger. The investment cost was well worth the return! I have also established that 400 grains at 2400 fps out of a 7.5 pound rifle is about my limit for comfort and control crazy
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yup, that would be lively.
Weight is a constant. Recoil is temporary 😀

I think Matt want's to be gunner500 when he grows up... laugh

That gun is a good start...

gunner would approve.

DF

I do aspire to reach that level of awesomeness!

You off to a good start...

Ha!

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Late to the thread.
I have the 20" stainless Hawkeye Alaskan .375 Ruger and .416 Ruger rifles with barrel bands.
Bare/empty/dry weights in the Zytel canoe paddle stocks:
.375 Ruger: 7.5 pounds
.416 Ruger: 7.0 pounds
The 23"-barreled, matte-black and walnut Hawkeye African .375 Ruger weighs 7.75 pounds.

The .375 H&H I used in the 1990's in Alaska and 2001 in Botswana:
Pre-'64 M70 .300 H&H action
24"-long Douglas No. 3 sporter contour (as light as I go in .375-caliber)
Brown Precision "Pounder" Kevlar and fiberglass stock with textured paint and 1" Decelerator pad
NECG banded front sight
Kimber QD scope bases
Weight was 6.75 pounds bare/empty/dry

One cannot sensibly flute a No.3 sporter in .375 caliber that is 0.625" diameter at the 24" muzzle.
Dan Lilja fluted his stainless No. 6 sporter contour .375 barrels for two of my other rifles.
They weigh about the same as a No. 4 sporter.
Simple No. 3 sporter contour, nonfluted is the way to go for light weight and usual 24" length.
Then you need a really light stock like the Brown Pounder to make it balance properly.

I reckon Phil Shoemaker got Dave Scovill's Ruger M77 Mk II .375 H&H or one just like it ?
Expert action opening to the rear and an RSM sheet metal box slipped into and some work on shortening the ejector ...

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Late to the thread.
I have the 20" stainless Hawkeye Alaskan .375 Ruger and .416 Ruger rifles with barrel bands.
Bare/empty/dry weights in the Zytel canoe paddle stocks:
.375 Ruger: 7.5 pounds
.416 Ruger: 7.0 pounds
The 23"-barreled, matte-black and walnut Hawkeye African .375 Ruger weighs 7.75 pounds.

The .375 H&H I used in the 1990's in Alaska and 2001 in Botswana:
Pre-'64 M70 .300 H&H action
24"-long Douglas No. 3 sporter contour (as light as I go in .375-caliber)
Brown Precision "Pounder" Kevlar and fiberglass stock with textured paint and 1" Decelerator pad
NECG banded front sight
Kimber QD scope bases
Weight was 6.75 pounds bare/empty/dry

One cannot sensibly flute a No.3 sporter in .375 caliber that is 0.625" diameter at the 24" muzzle.
Dan Lilja fluted his stainless No. 6 sporter contour .375 barrels for two of my other rifles.
They weigh about the same as a No. 4 sporter.
Simple No. 3 sporter contour, nonfluted is the way to go for light weight and usual 24" length.
Then you need a really light stock like the Brown Pounder to make it balance properly.

I reckon Phil Shoemaker got Dave Scovill's Ruger M77 Mk II .375 H&H or one just like it ?
Expert action opening to the rear and an RSM sheet metal box slipped into and some work on shortening the ejector ...

Dave gave me the Ruger Mk II .338 Bill Atkinson converted to a 375 H&H over 20 years ago and it has been a popular rifle with my guides. I like it a lot as well. It split the wood stock stock after only a few rounds when Mule Deer shot it, but I dropped it in an old Ruger canoe paddle stock and it is lithe and lethal ! It has earned the name "pointer" as everything it points at dies !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi Phil,

Saw Taj on MOUNTAIN MEN (History Channel) flying Mike Horstman around Kodiak in a Super Cub on floats.
Do you know what chambering Horstman has in his lever action toted for brown bear guiding ?
Looks like a Model 71 Winchester or 1886.
Could it be a .348 WCF or .450 Alaskan ? .50 Alaskan ?
All the TV reality shows would be put to shame by a show called "The Alaskan Shoemakers" and I do not mean one about a hipwader factory.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
IC B2

M
OP Offline
M
well after being made aware of the defiance crf actions, my plan is a bit different now, same basic recipe....just a defiance crf action.....and ill be usin a 375 ruger improved loaded to 3.6 or so and based of the sherman wildcat shoulder archetecture and add a wby style freebore a 375prc+p if you will.

we ride at dawn
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Hi Phil,

Saw Taj on MOUNTAIN MEN (History Channel) flying Mike Horstman around Kodiak in a Super Cub on floats.
Do you know what chambering Horstman has in his lever action toted for brown bear guiding ?
Looks like a Model 71 Winchester or 1886.
Could it be a .348 WCF or .450 Alaskan ? .50 Alaskan ?
All the TV reality shows would be put to shame by a show called "The Alaskan Shoemakers" and I do not mean one about a hipwader factory.

Mike Horstman's M71 is a 348, or at least the last one I saw was. He tends to go through rifles faster than I do,
Which may account for all the trading we do at the Kodiak gun show !
My son AK a nice long tang M71 .348 from him a couple years ago, but Taj still carries his 475 Turnbull.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
After launching a 300 grain swift a-frame from 500 yds away, the long walk back to the dead bull moose proved something to me:

That fkn bullet drilled through the entire moose on a quartering away shot, barely expanded and found against off side hide.

The cz carbine was far lighter than my 375 Ruger carbine. This helped with alot with the mountain climbing.

Another instance on a winter caribou hunt. I rattled through five rounds on a running herd of caribou, till the gun was empty. One at 150 yds, one at about 300 yds, a coupla misses, and finally, the last bullet rang true on that 400 yd caribou. So much caribou meat, broke the dog sled. Had to bury one gutted caribou and retrieve it the following morning.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13302195/3-caribou-by-dog-team

This was ah 9.3x62 and I'd take it, any day of the week over
any 375. The velocity difference doesn't mean sht...... you're welcome.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 08/01/21.
M
OP Offline
M
mainer, you got some valid points and i do share your admiration for the 9.3x62.........but brother im sweet on the 375.......truth is im quite certain i could have gotten all the critters ive ever gotten with a plain ole 06......probably could have gotten more.....cuase i would have had a better tent, better pack, and better boots with all the money i would have saved.......spent 5 yrs in the fairbanks area, went through about 35 rifles.....but the 2 i liked best were a pre barrel band ruger alaskan in 375 ruger, and an m70 ewss in 300 wm...the ruger round in the winchester and about a 1 lb lighter wouldve been perfect

we ride at dawn
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Fair enough, local Alaskan and forum member swamplord's 375 rpm wildcat would be a slick set up. In something like a winchester 70, you'd probably end up with a 4 down gun, which would be slick.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16190975/1/375-rpm

If I wanted to be limited to 3 down, I pick up my 416 Ruger........

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 08/01/21.
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Fair enough, local Alaskan and forum member swamplord's 375 rpm wildcat would be a slick set up. In something like a winchester 70, you'd probably end up with a 4 down gun, which would be slick.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16190975/1/375-rpm

My 375 H&H model 70 stainless classic holds 4 down but hey what do I know.

With that I do have a stainless classic in a 9.3x62..

Last edited by 79S; 08/01/21.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S

My Kimber Talkeetna holds 4 down as well

M
OP Offline
M
mainer its funny that you.mention the rpm based wildcats, ever since they came out with that sweet lil ti, ive been droolin ober the possibilities, really deep down prefer 3pos safeties and long extractors......but i believe i could rock a mark v if the right one came along....its the only pushfeed i really like........its too bad mrc went under they were makin some cool stuff......or that fn m70s dont have the old style trigger......or that cz quit makin 550s.....or that ruger hawkeyes have itty bitty safety levers and short magazines

we ride at dawn
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by 79S

Let’s hear some more about the stainless classic 9.3x63

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Keechi_Kid
Originally Posted by 79S

Just a standard stainless classic that started out as an 06. Sent it off to JES had it rebored to a 9.3x62. It shoots 250gr AB very well.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would say that when Ruger introduced their 375 Ruger stainless steel "Alaskan" carbine they pretty well defined THE ALASKAN 375.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Just a standard stainless classic that started out as an 06. Sent it off to JES had it rebored to a 9.3x62. It shoots 250gr AB very well.

Nice and simple but I’m sure makes for a nice rifle.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I have a Winchester stainless classic in 375 H&H with Mark Penrod right now. I had originally got it thinking I wanted a 300 H&H built out of it, but decided more or less last minute to keep it a 375. He is putting it in a legend stock with standard fill and putting in some Sunny Hull bottom metal. Also putting on one of his bolt handles and a clover leaf tang.

I left the barrel factory but wondering if I am going to end up regretting that given how heavy the factory 375 barrel is. However, that rifle will be the closest to what I am seeing discussed here for me.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have a Winchester stainless classic in 375 H&H with Mark Penrod right now. I had originally got it thinking I wanted a 300 H&H built out of it, but decided more or less last minute to keep it a 375. He is putting it in a legend stock with standard fill and putting in some Sunny Hull bottom metal. Also putting on one of his bolt handles and a clover leaf tang.

I left the barrel factory but wondering if I am going to end up regretting that given how heavy the factory 375 barrel is. However, that rifle will be the closest to what I am seeing discussed here for me.

Keechi_Kid, That sounds like a real nice package. If your going to carry the rifle a lot, especially in hill country.....you may wish you’d taken some weight out of the barrel. My original .375 H&H ( Win. XTR), was just too much (and I was in fair shape at the time) weight when hunting in mountain country, when combined with all of the other gear (binocs, day pack with all practical needs, ect.) for an all day hunt! Dropping my rifle weight down to 9 pounds, scoped/loaded/slung, made a big difference in carry comfort! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Yeah. I wasn’t sure what my final vision for it was as far as the barrel went. I saw someone mention chopping one of these and fluting the barrel to drop weight. That may be worthwhile here.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,422
Posts18,470,622
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.