Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I find myself hunting out of a portable blind and need some shooting sticks which I have never used before. I will be sitting on a stool. What do you guys recommend?

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Find bamboo growing wild on the side of the road somewhere, cut a few pieces, lash together with 550 cord about 8” from the top. Done. All in, maybe a $1 or 2....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Since 2012 I never go hunting w/o my Stoney Point Shooting Sticks.
I'm not sure they're Stoney Points anymore but similar or identical are available.
Did a quick search and Primos Pole Cat Bipods look identical and are available at Midway $39.99

They're no good for prone but work great from sitting or standing , they're fully adjustable.
They weigh 17 - 18 OUNCES.

This pic shows them better than other pix.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I won't be without them.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a set of those. Also a set of collapsible aluminum ones I use more (I can throw them in my pack and forget they're there).

I suggest the OP go look on Amazon (don't need to necessarily buy there, but it makes window shopping easy) and check out BOG shooting rests and sticks. You're see everything for folding lightweights to monopods, to heavy tripod affairs. (as wells related options by other manufactures)

I can't recommend the set I use the most, as I have no idea who made then.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trekking poles work if you have a need for them to get to your stand as well.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Primos Trigger sticks work for me. I do not go hunting without them.

Steve

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I agree with 16bore: I made mine using 3/4" hardwood dowel and wrapped with black water heater insulation pipe. I've use them mostly for coyote calling, deer hunting out of blinds, and even Alaska on bear hunt. Cheap, super light and work as well as can be.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Sbrown

Steve

This .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the medium height Trigger sticks and they work very well for sitting or kneeling. Should work fine for sitting on a stool also. . For standing I got three bamboo sticks from Home Depot and a vacuum cleaner belt.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a set of these. They are shock corded and will break down into a small package. They are always in my daypack. They will work from a sitting or prone position, but are tall enough for standing

https://www.cabelas.com/product/REDHEAD-KWIK-STIK-BIPOD/2843688.uts?slotId=6

But I also have a set of the stony points with telescoping poles that I use if conditions dictate. They are more rigid and will work standing. But they are also a lot more to carry around. If I were not walking far, and hunting from a stand I'd go with the tripod versions with 3 legs. The versions with 2 poles can be quite accurate, but do require some practice.

My bigger set are very similar to this, maybe the same sticks with another label on them.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Primos-reg-Pole-Cat-Shooting-Sticks/1615721.uts?slotId=4

But for you I'd look for something like this.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/BOG-ADRENALINE-SWITCHEROO/3288425.uts?slotId=3

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JMR40
I have a set of these. They are shock corded and will break down into a small package. They are always in my daypack. They will work from a sitting or prone position, but are tall enough for standing

https://www.cabelas.com/product/REDHEAD-KWIK-STIK-BIPOD/2843688.uts?slotId=6

But I also have a set of the stony points with telescoping poles that I use if conditions dictate. They are more rigid and will work standing. But they are also a lot more to carry around. If I were not walking far, and hunting from a stand I'd go with the tripod versions with 3 legs. The versions with 2 poles can be quite accurate, but do require some practice.

My bigger set are very similar to this, maybe the same sticks with another label on them.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Primos-reg-Pole-Cat-Shooting-Sticks/1615721.uts?slotId=4

But for you I'd look for something like this.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/BOG-ADRENALINE-SWITCHEROO/3288425.uts?slotId=3

I think you have been reading my mail!

At my advanced age and decrepit condition, taken with the topography of country I hunt, I figure I need all the help I can get. Using sticks or other apparatus that facilitate correct shot placement does just that.

I have and continue to use a variety of different items.

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

Bog Pod Death Grip, Bog Pod tripod, Trigger Stix, Leader Accessories lightweight tripod shooting stix.

For several years I used the light aluminum foldable shooting stix that were connected with elastic shock cord. They work great when one needs something ultra light-weight and will be sitting on the side of hills or irregular surfaces. Just assemble, put the tips between the laces of your boots and you can immediately vary your point of aim by moving your legs in or out.. However with continued use the elastic in the cord would stretch to the point where they would not reliably stay together and I had several instances where I missed a shot because the stix came apart when preparing for a shot.

Primo's Trigger Stix (bipod)

They also work well, when they work. Two particular negatives I have found is, they are jointed, and being a bi-pod, they tend to deflect at that joint. Consequently the weight will tend to cause the rifle to sag one way or the other changing the point of balance. Also, after a fair amount of use, when the trigger is depressed the legs typically do not deploy or retract equally. That can be a bummer.

Leader Accessories lightweight tripod shooting stix

Height is the biggest negative on these, but if one is sitting, they work well

Caldwell dead shot field pod in ground blind. Not particularly portable, can't be used while standing, and not the best for use in a confined space, but they do work well in a ground blind.

give a steady platform for longer shots!

Bog Pod Tripod w/ Ball Head

These are the ones I probably use the most.

I first encountered them while on a spot and stalk bear hunt with Drummond Lindsey. They worked. Got my own set as soon as I got home.

They double as a camera tripod if you buy the ball head accessory. Also work well as treking poles.

Provide a steady two-point rest in a box stand.

Biggest negative is that they are not quick to adjust the height.

I've yet to try the Bog Death Grip. My AR's with night vision and/or thermal tend to be a skosh heavy. I figure the Death Grip unit should work well as a free standing unit that is self supporting. We'll see.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Clynn

Steve

This .

Count me in. Deer elk antelope.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I make my own out of full-length fiberglass fish arrow shafts. Or you can use 36 or 39" fiberglass fence stakes.

Just take a big wad of rubber bands and loop a bunch of them tightly around the two sticks a few inches from one end. They can be flexed out as far as you want them (to go lower) or brought in rather tightly to stay tall. They also help immensely when glassing with binos.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing sucks more, than fiberglass slivers.....

Carbon fiber. Lighter, stronger, no flex, and no pesky slivers......

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Steve

This is what I use but I use the tripod and not the bipod sticks.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I make my own out of full-length fiberglass fish arrow shafts. Or you can use 36 or 39" fiberglass fence stakes.

Just take a big wad of rubber bands and loop a bunch of them tightly around the two sticks a few inches from one end. They can be flexed out as far as you want them (to go lower) or brought in rather tightly to stay tall. They also help immensely when glassing with binos.

Fiberglass makes fine shooting sticks, but check around to find SunGuard 3/8" diameter poles. They are gray, not white, and have UV-resistant coating, to prevent fiberglass slivering. I use two green rubber calf-castration bands to attach the poles, roll them to any desired height and they hold very securely. I got both poles and bands at Tractor Supply Company.

To use right-handed, spread the poles and grab the left leg at any height below the bands, with the left index finger wrapped over the gun-barrel and the other fingers around the left pole.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
For the last ten or so years, I've used a Trigger Stick tripod two or three times, and a Bog Pod tripod the rest of the time. I can't see much difference in the two. They both work well. The Trigger Stick was used from the standing position only while I've used the Bog Pod standing (mostly), sitting, and kneeling.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 16bore
Find bamboo growing wild on the side of the road somewhere, cut a few pieces, lash together with 550 cord about 8” from the top. Done. All in, maybe a $1 or 2....

Bamboo sure does make a great shooting stick bipod .
I drill a small hole in the sticks and thread a couple of rounds of spiderwire fishing line , lightweight strong and will likely last a lifetime if kept indoors .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Since 2014 we use the tall tripod and the tall bipod Primos Trigger Stix

Look for gen2

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Bamboo sure does make a great shooting stick bipod .
I drill a small hole in the sticks and thread a couple of rounds of **spiderwire** fishing line , lightweight strong and will likely last a lifetime if kept indoors .

Yes spiderwire is tough fishing line --- however it WILL fray with time. Catfish don't have any problem chewing thru it
easily. I've been using spiderwire a long time and I like it for reel fishing.

Keep an eye on it....

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 79 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,694
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.