Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Wild Bill Hickok advised that, when in a gun fight, take your time in a hurry, or something to that effect.

I believe that quote us from Wyatt Earp.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. In a gun fight... You need to take your time in a hurry."

Wyatt Earp

https://www.google.com/search?q=Wya...ome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=GSriMYEZTS

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Wild Bill Hickok advised that, when in a gun fight, take your time in a hurry, or something to that effect.

I believe that quote us from Wyatt Earp.

Just as respectable a source on the topic.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
“He who hesitates is lost.”

Sad deal. If the bad guys had viewed the good guy (GG) or the clerk as a threat, they would have gone in shooting or corralled GG and clerk somewhere at gunpoint. (The bad guys obviously had no problem with shooting.) Instead, the bad guys blew right past them in pursuit of the object of their visit. So, the odds are good that GG and the clerk would have been treated the same way on the way out if they had just stood there. GG didn’t do the clerk any favors by choosing to go for it with the clerk out in the open next to the shooter, increasing innocent victim/hostage potential. (The video is edited, so we can’t tell from the video how long the bad guys were channelized and highly vulnerable going away from and coming back to GG, or whether there were any innocents in the area behind the bad guys.) I respect people who make a decision and do something, regardless of the outcome, although I think the clerk got really lucky going after a guy with a gun. RIP, GG.

I doubt those bad guys are going to make the same mistake again. They have been educated. They already are looking at the death penalty (Texas, right?), so shooting more people shouldn’t make too much difference. The next GG to deal with them had better be good!

Last edited by Cheyenne; 11/28/19. Reason: add stuff

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Hopefully this man's action saved somebody else.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MOGC

Thirty years "on the job" here. When talking, I "talk with my hands" at chest level and out in front of me. If the time should come that I know I'm going to have to go hands on there's a time for talking and a time to push the go button. Sudden overwhelming violence gains quick control and limits resistance and that is better for everyone.

Exactly.

People need to remember this is not about egos, or being macho, tough talk or any other nonsense.

This is about THINKING.

I use a saying that I picked up from a former special mission unit guy who used to be in charge of one part of a selection process for an organization that we worked for.

"We need Thinkers who are Shooters, and Shooters who are Thinkers."

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by whelennut
Hopefully this man's action saved somebody else.

By discussing it here, and dissecting it, to discuss potential lessons learned that was my initial goal.

A few guys here quite frankly give the impression by their posts of being a bit unrealistic as far as what really happens when things get ugly, and by sharing videos such as this, and having guys like MOGC and Sarge discuss their experiences, some may be better off for it.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
This brings me to the elephant in the room.
I realize every state has different laws and police are under different expectations.
As a civilian with no body armor I think shooting them as they run away could put you in a bad situation if you accidentally hit innocent bystanders.
You might be better off letting them run and trying to get a good description of them.
I normally fuel up late at night and this could easily happen then. (At a gas station.)

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by whelennut
This brings me to the elephant in the room.
I realize every state has different laws and police are under different expectations.
As a civilian with no body armor I think shooting them as they run away could put you in a bad situation if you accidentally hit innocent bystanders.
You might be better off letting them run and trying to get a good description of them.
I normally fuel up late at night and this could easily happen then. (At a gas station.)

If they are running away then how are you justifying shooting them?

No matter your occupation, you are still responsible for the bullets that leave your gun.

I don't want this to turn into the typical campfire stupidity, so try to stay on point here.

If the person is fleeing and they have not shot anybody, you don't shoot. It is not your job to apprehend.

Your job is to defend yourself., your immediate family.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mackay I think you are giving good info here . stay out of the hero mind set and live to go home to your family

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Being a good witness is often the very best choice for a number of reasons.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mackay,
Watching the video it appears that the man in lighter color pants and dark jacket was chasing them out and shooting at them. Maybe I am wrong.
whelennut

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I believe that was a female throwing objects at the robbers, not shooting anything at them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ErichTheRed
Pretty obvious that this was not the first time for the two perps.

I don’t know that many people get to make a career out of armed robbery. Seems like it’s usually a spate by the same actor or actors and then they get shot and/or caught. Dunno that they make much more’n pocket change either. LEOs here would know more’n me.

I would guess that the two perps DO have experience in fleeing from hostile elements among their peers, maybe including gunfire aimed in their direction a time or two.

Conditioned reflex; the good guy who has faced robbers before in his own store reflexively draws his gun, the two bad guys flee from danger and/or apprehension like scalded cats, unfortunately shooting that brave and good man on their way out.

JMHO

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mac, great to have you back... You have lots to share and all worth reading.. Thanks..

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Mac, great to have you back... You have lots to share and all worth reading.. Thanks..

He left??

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

+1

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
According to his profile, he's been posting pretty regularly for quite some time

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

+1

+2

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I enjoy his posts, too. When was he gone?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.