Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
October 1, 2020 you will need an official Real ID star they call it on your drivers license, a U.S. passport or military ID to fly within the U.S. Our driver's licenses don't come up for renewal for years here and they won't be recognized as "official" unless they have that star on them! The wife tried to get a new drivers licence with the official star and the hoops they make you jump through is amazing and she didn't bring the right stuff to the DMV and couldn't get the star. dhs.gov tells you what you need to bring to the DMV if you want to get a new licence which will cost you. The DMV guy asked the wife if her married name was on her birth certificate? Say what? She may have snarked the guy for asking a stupid question hence no star for her. Anyway just a heads up it will cost you to have an up to date passport or a new driver licence if you expect to be able to fly anywhere late this next year. FYI.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Papers... let me see your papers.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Windfall
October 1, 2020 you will need an official Real ID star they call it on your drivers license, a U.S. passport or military ID to fly within the U.S. Our driver's licenses don't come up for renewal for years here and they won't be recognized as "official" unless they have that star on them! The wife tried to get a new drivers licence with the official star and the hoops they make you jump through is amazing and she didn't bring the right stuff to the DMV and couldn't get the star. dhs.gov tells you what you need to bring to the DMV if you want to get a new licence which will cost you. The DMV guy asked the wife if her married name was on her birth certificate? Say what? She may have snarked the guy for asking a stupid question hence no star for her. Anyway just a heads up it will cost you to have an up to date passport or a new driver licence if you expect to be able to fly anywhere late this next year. FYI.

Just get your passport. It's probably easier. I was surprised just how easy it was.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Just get your passport. It's probably easier. I was surprised just how easy it was.

I travel internationally enough that I'll likely never need the RealID driver's license. In fact I just received my new passport, so I'm good to go for another 10 years...

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have star on license, also I have a passport.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
fugg em!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
More infringement.

Period.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco

Don’t have a passport, but do have that gold star on my license. Showed up when last renewed. Got it due to requirements for my CCW.

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My drivers license was up for renewal this year. Went online to DMV to see what the Real ID was all about. Application online and what acceptable docs to bring to RMV. Checked off the docs I would bring, submitted the pre. lic. app. Went to DMV with papers. In and out in 45 minutes with Real ID license.

If you don't need it, you don't need it. If you travel, fly, you may want it.

Ed
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

This.
I've done both. But ironically, the passport is easier.

IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Virginia was very clear about what to bring. My DL expired so I got the new Real ID version. Pretty painless.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Oldman3
fugg em!

OUTSTANDING!!

I concur!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Next you have to get the chip. frown

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm
Virginia was very clear about what to bring. My DL expired so I got the new Real ID version. Pretty painless.

Same in Kansas. No big deal.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Do Messicans have to have a good star?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I updated mine a couple of months ago. In five minutes I was issued a temporary one and a week or so later received my permanent one.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Do Messicans have to have a good star?

Automatically given, wouldn’t want to have em feeling left out or profiled. Participation trophy.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco

magic marker does not count!
smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
I updated mine a couple of months ago. In five minutes I was issued a temporary one and a week or so later received my permanent one.

same here. They punched my old license and let me keep it, along with a letter. I had a bunch of forms of i.d. I got from the DMV web site; they asked me "Why did you bring all that stuff?"
Go figure, eh?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I renewed earlier this week a month early as I figured it would take a couple tries. My birth certificate and DD214 made them happy. I went for the enhanced license with the rfid chip which will make visiting Canada and returning to the usa easier.

The interesting thing is my birth certificate has my adoptive fathers name on it. Mom remarried, the bio dad gave up custody, and the new dad adopted me.
I went the first 4 or so years of my life with a different name. They must change a lot of paperwork for a legal adoption.

Last edited by Szumi; 11/29/19.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1234, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,020
Posts18,481,640
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.