Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by hanco
That is what the Dumbocrats want, most of us doing menial work for a few rich people, like in China.
The fact is, there's a lot of menial work that has to be done. Every farmer needs weed hoers and cow milkers. Every factory needs assembly line mental robots. Every office building needs janitors. Every construction crew needs clean up men and hod carriers. every store needs checkers and stockers. They can't assign highly paid professionals to do that kind of work and make any money. It's a pipe dream to think that every job will pay high wages. That can't happen in the real world.
On the other hand you've got people installing headlights or assembling wiring harnesses making 35.00 an hour. Any retard could do those jobs and their importance to society is certainly of no more value than the services of the farm workers or janitors making 10.00 an hour. Over the years people/society have been convinced that "professionals" with college degrees should make big money and a very comfortable living while anybody else should make diddly and live a life of poverty. Real convenient and intentionally orchestrated by the education system of course.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Most people don’t want jobs like pipefitters, electricians, plumbers, bricklayers etc. They want a job with a title, some prestige, and big bucks.

They don’t want to work their way up. Wifey works for a world wide oilfield service company. She hires a good many people. The recent college grads think they should be able to command a 140,000 salary right out of college. They have to start as a planner, work their way to a project manager’s salary in the 120,000 range. A Senior project manager might make 140,000 if she-he can do the job. She doesn’t think too much of the younger generation.

I’m going to her company dinner on the 18th. Most of them will look at me like I’m a toad, but that’s OK. They would cshit if they knew I made more than most of them doing plumbing.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Statistics at it's finest, so you compare job creation from the hi-tech boom era with today and say 1990's created more high paying jobs.

Today automation is removing lower paying jobs. New technology and things like biometric etc areas are growing, but will eventually take off.

Standard of living has gone up, but the issue is education. We went through a phase of "everyone needs to go to college" well that makes sense, but only if you go for something of value: engineering, sciences, education even. But if you go for a philosophy, or art degree, what are your job outlooks? OUr former babysitter got a bachelors and masters and can't make a living, what's her degrees in? Performing arts. I have two sons and two daughters-in-law, with degrees in: secondary education, occupational therapy, bio-tech and bio-mechanical engineering. Of the 4, 2 have masters. All are gainfully employed and growing great lives.

It's about the work you put in and putting it in a good area.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by gregintenn
If that is so, how is it that our standard of living keeps increasing? Homes keep getting larger, cars keep getting nicer, etc.

Debt and money printing seem to be helping. Stay tuned for how that plays out.

Exactly.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Blackheart
So you have alot of good paying jobs out there in the Tennesee boonies ? The cost of living and taxes really low ?

No special job opportunities I am aware of. The cost of living and taxes are reasonable.
Taxes are high here in NY. Not real sure about the comparative cost of living otherwise except I know gasoline and heating fuel is comparatively high. Gas prices make a big difference over the course of a year when you live rural. Especially up here where you really better have 4 wheel drive if you expect to make it to work regularly in the winter. We've got a foot of snow on the ground here right now. Heating costs are also a major expense this far North. My dad and mother inlaw both have heating bills of about 4k per year for their 2 story 1800-2000 sq ft homes.

In NY the government does everything possible to hurt the business environment and prevent people from improving their lives. It starts with insane taxes like 6% property taxes which destroy home equity. Then they banned fracking and thereby preventing people in upstate NY from prospering. Lastly the state government is run to benefit lawyers with laws that make it impossible for businesses to survive. My friend’s wife had to shut down her contractor business because of an insane law that made her liable for the actions of her subcontractors even if she required them to carry insurance.

[Linked Image from ]
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 16bore
https://www.darrinqualman.com/house-size/

This guy says that the average U.S. home size has grown from about 2000 suare feet in 1990 to about 2600 sf today. Seems about right looking at my community.

New construction is getting smaller in my experience. Higher finishes are winning over higher square footage.

Maybe. I think that is regional.

The new homes being built around here are 3000-4500SF and are costing anywhere from $400-$800K. Normal, 2 income families are buying them. We know one couple that did. For the life of us we couldn't figure out how they could afford it. They're both teachers in the local district, probably both making in the range of $80k/year. They're in their 40's, like us.

Turns out they can't afford it... My wife was talking to them this spring and they have a 50yr mortgage!!! 50 YEARS! Screw that. I'll take our average sized, packed with kids house, and be able to have it paid off in 7-8 years.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Most of them will look at me like I’m a toad, but that’s OK. They would cshit if they knew I made more than most of them doing plumbing.

Yep!! Funny ain't it? I go to those things with my wife and we just smile at all the people trying to impress each other with their titles. They ask me what I do. "Construction Manager" Where did you go to school?... " I didn't" They quickly move on to the next conversation because I'm not worthy. Not knowing a damn thing and it would make them scream if they did. grin

Bust your ass and it'll pay off and don't judge a book by it's cover.

Going to swap meets can open an eye to some holier than thou types when a guy pulls $8k out of his sweat pants pocket to pay for 35 Chevy body and frame on the trailer. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH
...Today automation is removing lower paying jobs. New technology and things like biometric etc areas are growing, but will eventually take off...

That's a ticking bomb, in particular the replacement of humans with robots who do the work faster, cheaper, 24 hours/day with no sick leave or Monday hangovers. They can do everything from making hamburgers to machining a part to less than ten thousandths tolerance (expensive machine to be sure, but I understand some robotic tools can measure down to millionths of an inch).

Even in high paying jobs they're finding robots or software can be more accurate. IIRC some nursing or "doctor" programs can diagnose an illness with far greater accuracy than many human doctors.

Obviously someone has to design, build, program and maintain the robots so a new opportunity is opening up there, but I'm sure they're already using robots to design and build other robots.

The problem on the other side is that with so many people put out of a job or unable to find one, who is going to buy the stuff the robots make?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Because of Obama care many full time jobs were cut to part time. Saving the companies millions on health care insurance costs. Dr's and professional 's need their cars and houses maintained. Just charge the same per hour they charge, and do good work. Plumbing, electrical contracting and trades jobs, can make great income. Teachers are needed but should be guided through the curriculum, not set free to teach as they see fit. Auto workers are probably the most over paid union in the country! My grandson is a glazer, ( window guy) his shop is doing great. When business and home window jobs are slow, auto glass pays the bills! He has two years of college in business! Not a engineer, but pulling down 200 a year, reinvesting and building his business! Jobs are as good as the individual want to work to make them! If they pay like crap get a different one! From the day I got out of school, I never looked for a minimum wage job! Who would not always look at good paying jobs. My younger grandson 15 just ask me to set him up with a small excavator and backhoe plus dump truck so he could get ahead of the job market when he graduates. I told him I would buy the excavator, if his folks would buy a dump trailer large enough to haul the small excavator. He can start there. If it doesn't work out we are only out a ,small amount and can sell the excavator and trailer. So I guess job markets have change since the 90's. Not in a good way necessarily, but opportunity is out there! By the way everyone should have a business of some type. Ronald Regan set up the tax structure, all should take advantage!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone

This guy says that the average U.S. home size has grown from about 2000 suare feet in 1990 to about 2600 sf today. Seems about right looking at my community.

New construction is getting smaller in my experience. Higher finishes are winning over higher square footage.

The new homes being built around here are 3000-4500SF and are costing anywhere from $400-$800K. Normal, 2 income families are buying them. We know one couple that did. For the life of us we couldn't figure out how they could afford it. They're both teachers in the local district, probably both making in the range of $80k/year. They're in their 40's, like us.

Turns out they can't afford it... My wife was talking to them this spring and they have a 50yr mortgage!!! 50 YEARS! Screw that. I'll take our average sized, packed with kids house, and be able to have it paid off in 7-8 years.

I don’t think people buy to own anymore. It’s more like downpayment + purchased equity + market attitude = return.

Then cash out when you come to your senses, the kids have moved out, and you downsize into the size house you shoulda bought anyway.

That’s how we end up with so many damn Yankees down south.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Slavek

That is what the Corporations want, most of us doing menial work for a few rich people, like in China.

Bingo

And eventually those corporations would just love to do away with countries, laws, regulations, and politics altogether. Just corporations, merging and merging and merging and getting more and more control.

Geno

Corporations can't make money if the masses don't have money to spend! So this theory is total BS.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Seems an awful lot of corporations did well enough that there were lumber and coal barons running them when their "employees" lived in company towns.

I have a sneaky suspicion if they were able to get the world as I suggested there would be more of the same.

Company coppers and Pinkertons to enforce their rules, seeing as how they'd be unregulated otherwise.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by tzone

I don’t think people buy to own anymore. It’s more like downpayment + purchased equity + market attitude = return.

Then cash out when you come to your senses, the kids have moved out, and you downsize into the size house you shoulda bought anyway.

16bore not really, you can blame the mass exodus from the Northeast on Taxes, Unions, and general cost of living. Has nothing to do with what size houses people bought. However Yes your housing cost on average is much cheaper down there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Taxes eat y’all alive.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Taxes eat y’all alive.....

Yankees, that is.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Seems an awful lot of corporations did well enough that there were lumber and coal barons running them when their "employees" lived in company towns.

I have a sneaky suspicion if they were able to get the world as I suggested there would be more of the same.

Company coppers and Pinkertons to enforce their rules, seeing as how they'd be unregulated otherwise.

Geno

When corporations do well, their investors do well! As for living conditions or area's that is not exclusive to corporations. Social economic classes will exist no matter what. I do get it, you need to be able to point a finger!

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

Sure, but what it the median size?

A fancier development with a goodly number of large new homes will skew the average more than a little in a small town. I'd imagine the new developments and those fancy "estates" are driving the average up all across America.

And one of the reasons larger homes are still affordable for "many"..................................

cheap labor!

Folks I know in the construction trades basically haven't had a "raise" for a number of years. But the Pardee type developers keep selling bigger houses.

Geno

What about legacy construction vs lightweight?

I bet that has something to do with it.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
People complain about what bigwigs do...until they become one. Same goes for college degrees, they’re only useless when you don’t have one.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
People complain about what bigwigs do...until they become one. Same goes for college degrees, they’re only useless when you don’t have one.

BINGO we have a WINNER!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[

That's my plan, been telling wife we'll advertise our house and acreage up north when the time comes........[lotsa Hokies in NOVA needing a mountain getaway].

FJB & FJT
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, 9 invisible), 1,270 guests, and 964 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,227
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.