Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Good Lord. What kind of damnfool bank even writes a 50 year mortgage, and what kind of damnfool signs up for one?

Staggers my mind. We took out a 15 year on our shack, and if I live to pay it off I will dance a jig...

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by 16bore
[

That’s how we end up with so many damn Yankees down south.

That's my plan, been telling wife we'll advertise our house and acreage up north when the time comes........[lotsa Hokies in NOVA needing a mountain getaway].

At least I don’t dislike Hokies as much as Yankees...yes, I know. 15 years to get the cup back. 😂

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Seems an awful lot of corporations did well enough that there were lumber and coal barons running them when their "employees" lived in company towns.

I have a sneaky suspicion if they were able to get the world as I suggested there would be more of the same.

Company coppers and Pinkertons to enforce their rules, seeing as how they'd be unregulated otherwise.

Geno

When corporations do well, their investors do well! As for living conditions or area's that is not exclusive to corporations. Social economic classes will exist no matter what. I do get it, you need to be able to point a finger!

Absolutely the investors do well if a corporation does well. But the low wage employees needed to proved the goods/services the corporation needs to make large profits, which drive investment return, rarely if ever have the wherewithal to invest, even in the corporation they work for. Which is perhaps why a smart employees will try to find work at a corporation that is employee owned or perhaps one that provide revenue sharing or company stock as a part of their compensation plan.

Social economic classes will exist until the masses revolt and install Utopian Communism.............................the we all bees equals, right eek eek

But, there is that little fact, that corporations have no moral requirement to do other than provide a return for their investors.................their employees are basically either red or black marks on their ledgers.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by gregintenn
https://www.darrinqualman.com/house-size/

This guy says that the average U.S. home size has grown from about 2000 suare feet in 1990 to about 2600 sf today. Seems about right looking at my community.

Sure, but what it the median size?

A fancier development with a goodly number of large new homes will skew the average more than a little in a small town. I'd imagine the new developments and those fancy "estates" are driving the average up all across America.

And one of the reasons larger homes are still affordable for "many"..................................

cheap labor!

Folks I know in the construction trades basically haven't had a "raise" for a number of years. But the Pardee type developers keep selling bigger houses.

Geno

What about legacy construction vs lightweight?

I bet that has something to do with it.

Is lightweight construction anything like light beer or lite sour cream?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by auk1124
Good Lord. What kind of damnfool bank even writes a 50 year mortgage, and what kind of damnfool signs up for one?

Staggers my mind. We took out a 15 year on our shack, and if I live to pay it off I will dance a jig...

15 years ago I was out in Pasadena working with some consultants. One guy in the group was celebrating the purchase of a home which was a huge deal to those guys.

He was thrilled with having an interest only loan - meaning he was just paying the interest - nothing to principle on a $500K home that I believe if memory serves was 2000 sq ft.

I doubt he ever thought about paying it off - and by now, his house payment is probably less than rent on a 2 bedroom apartment.

Last edited by KFWA; 12/03/19.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

But, there is that little fact, that corporations have no moral requirement to do other than provide a return for their investors.................

Geno

Nor does any other type of business.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

But, there is that little fact, that corporations have no moral requirement to do other than provide a return for their investors.................

Geno

Yeah, I know. Kinda sad.......but then again neither does any individual have any moral requirement to do anything unselfish either............

Maybe "they" will fix that when we leave this planet for Mars to start a new world?

Geno

In it is contentment

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by auk1124

15 years ago I was out in Pasadena working with some consultants. One guy in the group was celebrating the purchase of a home which was a huge deal to those guys.

He was thrilled with having an interest only loan - meaning he was just paying the interest - nothing to principle on a $500K home that I believe if memory serves was 2000 sq ft.

I doubt he ever thought about paying it off - and by now, his house payment is probably less than rent on a 2 bedroom apartment.

15 years ago on an ARM he more than likely made a killing on it. If he held it 5 years that would put him around 2009 after the fallout. More than likely at the least doubled his coin. If he sold it in 2007 he probably tripled his coin at least.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Geno

Yeah, I know. Kinda sad.......but then again neither does any individual have any moral requirement to do anything unselfish either............

Maybe "they" will fix that when we leave this planet for Mars to start a new world?

Geno

Corporations get a lot of bad raps. There are some very good corporations to work for. A lot of corporations provide not only very good wages but compensation packages as a whole. It is up to the individual to capitalize on those compensation packages.

There are good and bad in everything. The bottomline is a general rule of thumb is everyone/everything looks after its best interest first.

With that said a lot of people don't have the discipline that it takes to make it. We want this, that, and the other thing and we want it now! That is not a successful recipe for wealth!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Salary is in direct proportion to risk taken to make it. CEO’s risk the entire company, burger flippers risk undercooked meat.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Salary is in direct proportion to risk taken to make it. CEO’s risk the entire company, burger flippers risk undercooked meat.

Bullshyt. Roofers, saw mill workers, etc. risk their lives and limbs every day for peanuts.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Bullshyt. Roofers, saw mill workers, etc. risk their lives and limbs every day for peanuts.

Apples to Oranges...and all of that.

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Raeford
[

That’s how we end up with so many damn Yankees down south.

That's my plan, been telling wife we'll advertise our house and acreage up north when the time comes........[lotsa Hokies in NOVA needing a mountain getaway].

At least I don’t dislike Hokies as much as Yankees...yes, I know. 15 years to get the cup back. 😂

From the looks of who has what coming back [barring major transfer portal moves] the Hoos best enjoy that Cup while they have it. wink

FJB & FJT
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

You completely missed his valid point.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 12/03/19.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

You completely missed his valid point.

Ya think??????

FJB & FJT
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hehehehe......the Republicans have blown it.....by the looks of it.

I guess no one wants the lower....to lower middle class.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hehehehe......the Republicans have blown it.....by the looks of it.

I guess no one wants the lower....to lower middle class.

Did anyone ever?

Maybe the Peon's Poor People's Party?

Geno

In it is contentment

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Well....the Demos used to claim they were for the little guy.

Not the case now....but also looks like the Repubs dont want or need em either.

Just hush and be good little consumers-tax livestock.....

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is the Land of Opportunity, not guarantees. The premise of the article in the OP is BS.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s haves/have nots. Not Republican/Democrat. There isn’t a person on a board of supervisors or city council that isn’t controlled by the big spenders in town.

Why the hell are people like Gates, Buffett, Zuckerburg, Oprah, etc. helping to “make” public policy? And who the hell are they?

They’s rich, that’s all....

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 14,406 guests, and 1,003 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,298
Posts18,545,334
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.