Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
It is the Land of Opportunity, not guarantees. The premise of the article in the OP is BS.

And sometimes (many times? most times? every time?) one must make their own opportunity and not sit around watching TV or at the bar waiting for it.

I haven't seen an Opportunity booth on the local main street, just passing them out.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 16bore
It’s haves/have nots. Not Republican/Democrat. There isn’t a person on a board of supervisors or city council that isn’t controlled by the big spenders in town.

Why the hell are people like Gates, Buffett, Zuckerburg, Oprah, etc. helping to “make” public policy? And who the hell are they?

They’s rich, that’s all....

They's all Jews too, right?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Salary is in direct proportion to risk taken to make it. CEO’s risk the entire company, burger flippers risk undercooked meat.

Bullshyt. Roofers, saw mill workers, etc. risk their lives and limbs every day for peanuts.

You completely missed his valid point.

Well we've got roofing companies and saw mills aplenty around here. The owners/CEO's of these businesses may risk losing the business if they fugg up but their asses aint on the roofs or running the mill saws so it's quite likely they'll go home at the end of the day with their lives and all their limbs. Their employees have a bit more at risk if you ask me, particularly since I know how many serious/fatal accidents there've been at the saw mills over the years.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You don't suppose that many of those bosses started out on roofs or running saws do ya?
Further, it validates the point he was making: the higher the risk for employees, the higher the costs of having those employees[in many ways].

FJB & FJT
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
On the roof with a golden parachute maybe!

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Physical risk is not the same thing as business risk. But take your saw mill owner. He’s the one that has to take the risk of bodily harm to a worker in addition to the worker themselves.

They lose an arm, he loses his shirt. The employee is responsible for himself, but so is the owner. And all the other people he employs as well. And their families. And his own.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
He has insurance for that.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Raeford
You don't suppose that many of those bosses started out on roofs or running saws do ya?
Further, it validates the point he was making: the higher the risk for employees, the higher the costs of having those employees[in many ways].
Some did, some didn't. The mill right up the road here is run by the grandson of the man who started it. He was never out there running the mill saws.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
He has insurance for that.
Yes they do.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Physical risk is not the same thing as business risk. But take your saw mill owner. He’s the one that has to take the risk of bodily harm to a worker in addition to the worker themselves.

They lose an arm, he loses his shirt. The employee is responsible for himself, but so is the owner. And all the other people he employs as well. And their families. And his own.

That's a big load of bull right there. The owner has insurance to cover accidents. The insurance is a business cost like any other.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A guy I went to high school with got a job at a local roofing company right after we graduated. He fell off a roof just a few weeks later. I still see him buzzing around town in his motorizef wheel chair regularly. He never got married and still lives with his parents. His risk was pretty big and he's paid for it plenty. The owner of the roofing company is retired now and his son runs it. His whole damn crew is Mexicans now.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Some did, some didn't. The mill right up the road here is run by the grandson of the man who started it. He was never out there running the mill saws.

So you're saying a man who creates a successful business whould notlet his grandson inherit it?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

So you're saying a man who creates a successful business whould notlet his grandson inherit it?
Where the hell do you get that idea ? I'm saying his grandson never ran the risk of getting his ass maimed or killed running the mill saws.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
A guy I went to high school with got a job at a local roofing company right after we graduated. He fell off a roof just a few weeks later. I still see him buzzing around town in his motorizef wheel chair regularly. He never got married and still lives with his parents. His risk was pretty big and he's paid for it plenty. The owner of the roofing company is retired now and his son runs it. His whole damn crew is Mexicans now.

So what percentage of the American work force works as roofers or in sawmills? Maybe 0.01%.

The reason most people get stuck in low paying jobs is because the WANT to be in them instead of doing what needs to be done to advance themselves.

For decades our company (and many others) offered tuitiion reimbursement. We would pay for an employee to get a 2-year or 4-year degree in any field remotely related to our business. Very few took us up on it. Most of them were engineers who already had 4-year degrees and used our program to get master's degrees.

Why didn't they take advantage of our program? My theory was that lower class people do not have the mental discipline to sacrifice something now in order to get something better LATER. When push came to shove, they would rather go drinking or watch TV than study for a few years and double or quadruple their income after that time. They do not understand delayed gratification.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Maybe he was getting an education sufficient to run a business and provide jobs. I spent a good part of my working life in fairly high risk employment, my choice. I got paid well and enjoyed the work, Sometimes other people get paid more because they contribute more value. It is called capitalism.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

So what percentage of the American work force works as roofers or in sawmills? Maybe 0.01%.

The reason most people get stuck in low paying jobs is because the WANT to be in them instead of doing what needs to be done to advance themselves.

For decades our company (and many others) offered tuitiion reimbursement. We would pay for an employee to get a 2-year or 4-year degree in any field remotely related to our business. Very few took us up on it. Most of them were engineers who already had 4-year degrees and used our program to get master's degrees.

Why didn't they take advantage of our program? My theory was that lower class people do not have the mental discipline to sacrifice something now in order to get something better LATER. When push came to shove, they would rather go drinking or watch TV than study for a few years and double or quadruple their income after that time. They do not understand delayed gratification.

I've known alot of guys that worked in the saw mills and roofing companies over the years. Most do those jobs because they don't have the mental capacity for college. There are alot of folks like that out there.

Last edited by Blackheart; 12/03/19.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I

Where the hell do you get that idea ? I'm saying his grandson never ran the risk of getting his ass maimed or killed running the mill saws.

I doubt if those conditions apply any more, or have applied since OSHA came in during the 1970s.

I once worked at a stamping plant where the old time employees all had fewer than ten fingers. No more. I have seen a lot of heavy industry (though I admit not sawmills). There is very little physical danger any more. OSHA would not allow that.

As for roofers, I have friends who are roofers and who own their own small roofing companys (usually just them and one or two relatives). One guy has fallen off the roof several times. Don't they have safety harnesses or anything?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

I've known alot of guys that worked in the saw mills and roofing companies over the years. Most do those jobs because they don't have the mental capacity for college. There are alot of folks like that out there.

That is why their employers have to spend extra money to hire safety people to remind the slow to use the provided PPE. Another business expense that reduces $$$ available to pay more to those employees.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Dang there is a lot of misery and envy in your blackheart.

Ever think of taking that energy and starting your own sawmill or roofing company. Sounds like you have it all figured out. Should be a breeze for someone so savvy such as yourself.

Montana MOFO
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I doubt if those conditions apply any more, or have applied since OSHA came in during the 1970s.

I once worked at a stamping plant where the old time employees all had fewer than ten fingers. No more. I have seen a lot of heavy industry (though I admit not sawmills). There is very little physical danger any more. OSHA would not allow that.

As for roofers, I have friends who are roofers and who own their own small roofing companys (usually just them and one or two relatives). One guy has fallen off the roof several times. Don't they have safety harnesses or anything?
I worked for a roofing company for a year back in the early 90's and there were no harnesses and nobody was roped off. Don't know how practical that would be with a bunch of folks working on a roof at once, which there usually were. I saw a crew of Mexicans from the company I mentioned previously working on a roof in town here just last summer. Didn't see anybody roped off.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

287 members (1936M71, 257 mag, 160user, 270wsmnutt, 2500HD, 21, 27 invisible), 12,485 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,230
Posts18,544,165
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.