-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our son (first child in about 3 generations of extended family) did not take advantage of his fully funded college opportunities, At 30 yrs he's still doing what I consider entry level jobs at about 30 hrs a week with zilch for benefits. I know it's a choice thing for him, but I don't see much joy in his future. His only chance probably comes with our passing, and then we worry about his ability handle the estate.

Cookie and I live in a rather depressed part of Oregon. Those that want to work and that are willing to work hard have a tough time finding a day off.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/03/19.

1Minute
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Valsdad
friggen teen female hormones or something.

screws up the decision making process.

not only ghetto girls, I see it all the time in poor rural "white" America.

And teenage male hormones and their carriers are only too happy to assist the girls.

What a waste.

Geno
Yep, happens all the time around here. Always has for as far back as I can remember and I expect it always will. Not sure it's such a completely bad thing though. I've seen things work out pretty good for some over time and somebody needs to be contributing to the white, American population lest we become extinct. Lord knows those of darker complexion are out reproducing us by leaps and bounds.

KFWA Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
Our son (first child in about 3 generations of extended family) did not take advantage of his fully funded college opportunities, At 30 yrs he's still doing what I consider entry level jobs at about 30 hrs a week with zilch for benefits. I know it's a choice thing for him, but I don't see much joy in his future. His only chance probably comes with our passing, and then we worry about his ability handle the estate.

Cookie and I live in a rather depressed part of Oregon. Those that want to work and that are willing to work hard have a tough time finding a day off.

My son is 22, not motivated, directionless, thinks he has all the time in the world to get his life straight. like you I don't see much joy in his future. I tell him that one day he is going to want to provide for his family and not have a job where his job security is at the mercy of the economy, and there are 20 other people they could replace him with at any time.

In one ear and out the other.

At the end of the day, I can only want what he wants

Last edited by KFWA; 12/03/19.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hell, MTV made a reality show about young kids getting pregnant. They should invent a pill to prevent that.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by KFWA

My son is 22, not motivated, directionless, thinks he has all the time in the world to get his life straight. like you I don't see much joy in his future. I tell him that one day he is going to want to provide for his family and not have a job where his job security is at the mercy of the economy, and there are 20 other people they could replace him with at any time.

I couldn't get any of my sons to go to college. Despite that they are all doing quite well. #1 works cutting trees/branches away from the power lines and cleaning up after storms for NYSEG and makes big money.. #2 travels all over calibrating gas pumps for one of the big gas companies and makes darn good money. #3 went to trade school for auto body, works at a local body shop and does alright.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a part time job and a fulltime job. I work about 70 hours a week. I don't need to, I was sitting on my phone all day so I got a pt job. I still have all day Friday and Saturday off. Anyone with money sense knows it ain't about income it's about outgoing. You can spend every penny no problem.

KFWA Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by KFWA

I couldn't get any of my sons to go to college. Despite that they are all doing quite well. #1 works cutting trees/branches away from the power lines and cleaning up after storms for NYSEG and makes big money.. #2 travels all over calibrating gas pumps for one of the big gas companies and makes darn good money. #3 went to trade school for auto body, works at a local body shop and does alright.

I wish I could introduce my son to yours

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my experience, Gen X was persuaded to avoid “blue collar” jobs for the pageantry of “white collar”

Kinda messed up....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
In my experience, Gen X was persuaded to avoid “blue collar” jobs for the pageantry of “white collar”

Kinda messed up....

I haven't read the thread, but what 16bore says is right. I've told several younger people, that didn't want to go to college, to go to a trade school or get in an apprenticeship program to learn a trade. Plumbers, electricians, machinists, mechanics, etc. can make a good living. I know a young man that went to school and learned to work on large diesel engines. Travels quite a bit and makes very good money.

Some listen and some dont.l

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the white collar Joe's I work with and I agree that HVAC would be a heck of a living. A guy could offer 24 hr weekend and holiday service and make a fortune.

Then hunt and fish 4 days a week.

IC B3

KFWA Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd say that is true of Gen X

I don't know that its a bad thing but Gen X also grew up in the era where manufacturing jobs were being shipped off to 3rd world country in mass and technology (computers) were exploding. In the dot com era, if you could spell computer as a college graduate you got a $35K a year job (in 1996 money) in a field that had essentially zero unemployment.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by gregintenn
https://www.darrinqualman.com/house-size/

This guy says that the average U.S. home size has grown from about 2000 suare feet in 1990 to about 2600 sf today. Seems about right looking at my community.

This very well could be true. Small houses probably aren't getting any smaller while a few McMansions raise the average. I think the key factor in rising house size is low mortgage rates. You can build a much bigger house for the same monthly mortgage payment now than you could before the last 20 years or so. Mortgage rates have been lower since 2001 than anytime since before the 1970's.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Originally Posted by 16bore

Kinda messed up....

I haven't read the thread, but what 16bore says is right. I've told several younger people, that didn't want to go to college, to go to a trade school or get in an apprenticeship program to learn a trade. Plumbers, electricians, machinists, mechanics, etc. can make a good living. I know a young man that went to school and learned to work on large diesel engines. Travels quite a bit and makes very good money.

Some listen and some dont.l

These and other blue collar jobs will out pay white collar jobs in the near future. Very few folks willing to learn and do them.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (22250rem, 12344mag, 270cowboy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 50 invisible), 1,685 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,127
Posts18,523,086
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.