Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I know it seems trivial but are there some better than others? Never ran one before on any of my rifles and just wanting to try one to see if it’s for me or not. Tired of digging in my pockets or pack to occasionally grab a cartridge. Seems like having them always at the ready might make more sense and in a much more logical location.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No matter which you choose, please remove it during storage or risk ruining the buttstock finish!

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The $3.50 Allen cloth cartridge holders from WalMart work just fine.
They hold 9 rounds.
I have them on every rifle I own and have never had a problem with them damaging the finish.
If they get wet they come off though.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
While not classy, the Allen holders work just fine. I use one on my single shot. Magazine rifles have their own shellholder; built in. GD

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by greydog
Magazine rifles have their own shellholder; built in.

I agree and very rarely need more than what the magazine will hold. Perfect scenario you only need 1 shell ... right??

I think it’s more about just keeping them in a good location that is easily accessible for me. Could possibly pay off one day to have them there?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
No matter which you choose, please remove it during storage or risk ruining the buttstock finish!

Most damage I have seen on buttstocks from those were from using the rifle while hunting, and being outdoors, and usually amounted to sun damage to part of the stock, while that part under the holder was protected, and didn't get faded and scratched as the rest of the exposed areas did.

I think if the material isn't caustic, storage as a safe queen wouldn't really matter. But then, and safe queen is probably not very likely to sport a shell holder in the first place.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I use the flip open type with the hook and loop that you wear with your belt. They work good for me. I think I got mine from Midway.

" America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wilbilly
I use the flip open type with the hook and loop that you wear with your belt. They work good for me. I think I got mine from Midway.

........ You beat me to it....... I second that motion. Handiest thing yet for a few spare rounds.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by wilbilly

Never even considered that style. Might look into it.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you need that many rounds to put down an animal, you should be asking different questions.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Federal used to sell centerfire in those plastic belt holders.

See some goober checking a spike horn in at the market with enough fire power attached to him to raid Abbottabad.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I like them on a shotgun but not so much on a rifle. When they get stretched out the shells fall out.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
If you need that many rounds to put down an animal, you should be asking different questions.

Again, it’s not about needing them. It’s about keeping them in an easily accessible location and always knowing where they are. If I actually need that many rounds I’ll just put down the bolt action or lever action and grab the AR.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Allen shell holder on every big game rifle.

Beginning of season, four in the belly and nine in the shell holder. Those 13 rounds remain in/on the gun until the season is over or they get used. That way, I grab the gun and go, and never worry about having the right ammo around. We don't have to unload the magazine for vehicle travel here, so I never have loose rounds to worry about for the entire season.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Never tried one myself but look like they would be especially handy with single shot rifles and double barrel shotguns. For removable clip type firearms I just always carried a spare loaded clip or two in a easy to get to pocket with nothing else in that pocket.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Google - rifle buttstock pouch, I tried to show pics but was unable. Some have shell loops on a velcro card that can be transferred from inside a zippered pouch to the outside to be attached there. The pouch is handy for keeping other things such as a hex wrench for rings.
Some offer comb risers, but most can retain ones you make yourself, if you want a better cheek rest.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Oh, I forgot about this. Please disregard the pouch in front of the action, I decided it was dumb & took it off.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Indeed!! One shot should do it, otherwise you need more range time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

I see the judgmental aspect of the fire hasn't changed.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have one on the kid's rifle. Keeps it simple. Everything in 1 spot.

My chest bino-carrier has small mesh pockets on either side. I tend to carry 3 or 4 extra shells in those little pockets. Handy and very accessible.

Last edited by Tarkio; 12/04/19.

Montana MOFO
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,509
Posts18,472,370
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.