Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
satir Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
which gun would you pick, in which caliber, what load(s) how much ammo and why? I'd take an M4 in 223, with a $160, 3/4 lb .CMMG .22lr conversion unit. I'd mostly leave it in .22lr firing "mode", cause most shots are at small game. I'd want 1 in 9" twist rifling, for use with the 60 gr Subsonic Aquila .22 load and 60 gr Nosler Partition softpoints in the 223. I'd want a scope with a see thru mount, and luminous iron sights and a RRA drop in NM trigger job. Having both a centerfire and quiet rimfire is an advantage. Now and then, rapid fire is an advantage and it comes with a dark reflective finish, and can be had with a chromed bore and chamber. I can brain big critters with it to 100m or so, take deer, pronghorn, hogs to 150m with chest hits, too. On snow, 6" or less, in the early morning, or with a dog that would follow a trail., I'd risk a shot on such small "big game' to 200m, too, if needed the meat badly, as long as I could use a braced firing position, so as to put that bullet within 3" of where I wanted it. The caliber swap can be discretely done in 20 seconds, the .22 unit's POI is always less than 2" off of the 223 POI, at 50m. and some are much closer. Groups are always 2" or less at 50m, too, if you haven't chosen the 1 in 7" rifling twist.. I'd want 60 rds of 223 (2 lbs) and 500 rds of the Aquila 60 gr .22's (3 lbs) With the 7 lbs of scoped M4, the 14 lb total is feasible to lug around. You have to cover a lot of ground, nearly everywhere on earth to live by foraging. That much ammo, along with traps, snares, netting, trotlines, fish poison, bird lime, etc, should last me for at least 10 years.

Last edited by satir; 12/05/19.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beretta 21A.
Beretta has pop up ads on the this web page, you can click on it, and you can see their whole product line.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remington 870 pump.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A minimal moving parts single shot 22LR equipped with a scope.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by satir
which gun would you pick, in which caliber, what load(s? and why? I'd take an M4 in 223, with a $160, 3/4 lb .CMMG .22lr conversion unit. I'd mostly leave it in .22lr firing "mode", cause most shots are at small game. I'd want 1 in 9" twist rifling, for use with the 60 gr Subsonic Aquila .22 load and 60 gr Nosler Partition softpoints in the 223. I'd want a scope with a see thru mount, and luminous iron sights and a RRA drop in NM trigger job. Having both a centerfire and quiet rimfire is an advantage. Now and then, rapid fire is an advantage and it comes with a dark reflective finish, and can be had with a chromed bore and chamber. I can brain big critters with it to 100m or so, take deer, pronghorn, hogs to 150m with chest hits, too. On snow, 6" or less, in the early morning, or with a dog that would follow a trail., I'd risk a shot on such small "big game' to 200m, too, if needed the meat badly, as long as I could use a braced firing position, so as to put that bullet within 3" of where I wanted it.
What's the sitch? What are you doing? Where are you at? What are you doing? Are you killing zombies exclusively, or do you have to kill live folks that are trying to kill you? Do you have to do both plus forage for food by killing animals? If so, what is on the menu? Grizzlies or sewer rats? It do make a difference.

I think your pick is pretty sound, to tell the truth. Another big factor is, do you have a base of operations with a cache of ammo? If not, the .22 RF makes more and more sense. Also a suppressor. Do you still have to obey the law or can you just do what you want? If the latter, I'd make mine full auto just 'cause. I'll also take NVD.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never seen the alone TV show so pardon the question. Was prolly too busy watching Bristoe's fat bitch show.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of bears on those shows. Think I'd want something bigger than a .223. 12 ga with slugs and shot would be a good choice.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Remington 870 pump.

This. 12ga

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Over and under 12 gauge and 243 win.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by centershot
Lots of bears on those shows. Think I'd want something bigger than a .223. 12 ga with slugs and shot would be a good choice.
A bear can eat my ass after I shoot him with a 45-70 just as easy as a 556. You think it really matters Eddie? No offense intended.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
22 magnum bolt action

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
22 magnum bolt action
No offense but why in hell would you pick a 22 Mag.? Ammo is expensive and not nearly as easily as procured as a plain LR. Certainly they are better in a lot of applications, but so is a 223. Don't get it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Setting aside a .22, if you needed something in a caliber large enough to do anything, but dead nuts reliable and unbreakable, it would be hard to beat a Mosin-Nagant. I would pick the 38 carbine version. Yes, unergonomic, ugly as sin, but I’m not even sure how you could break one. And if you somehow did, it would make a well nigh indestructible club as well.

S
satir Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
bears so rarely bother anyone that I'd never cut my effective range by that much on small game as to choose a shotgun, nor make that much noise or lug around that much bulk and weight. Caches would help, of course, IF you can be sure of getting back to them. So you'd need quite a few small ones, scattered over a wide area. I wont give the zombie thing any validity. This being a hunting site, I choose to stay away from the combat thing, altho it would of course be part of a real-deal scenario. Full auto is a joke from box mags. Not worthy of any consideration. NVD's, of course, IF you also have a passive IR scanner, a helmet upon which to mount the NVD and a solar charger to keep the batteries functional. The suppressor is a big help, even if humans are not an issue. Animals are not run off by things that they never hear. A subsonic .22 rifle will easily take rabbits at 50% more distance than is feasible with birdshot. You''ll soon get sick of pulling maintenance on blued guns, in a lot of areas. You've got to have nighttime hitting capability. The 223/22lr choice works anywhere, which is one reason I made it. and why I didn't specify any special climate or terrain. It'll work for pretty much anyone, too. Which is why who you are doesn't matter

Last edited by satir; 12/05/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Okay, since there's bears I'm switching to a 50-90 Sharps with 1,000 grain projectiles and as much Ffg as I can compress in the little shell. Are there going to be Wooly Mammoths on this adventure too? Will they be like, zombie mammoths like on that one TV show...Game of Thornes or whatever? I will supplement it with my Broadsword.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Survival would mean mainly hunting small game birds and animals for the stew pot, so I would select a nice European Drilling.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
22 magnum bolt action
No offense but why in hell would you pick a 22 Mag.? Ammo is expensive and not nearly as easily as procured as a plain LR. Certainly they are better in a lot of applications, but so is a 223. Don't get it.

Survival situation I doubt I'm going to be comparison shopping for value. I don't think $12 for 50 rounds of ammo is going to break the bank anyhow. I chose the 22 magnum because it'll kill what needs killing big or small w/o destroying the small, and I can carry a schitload of it.

LOL
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

my choice(s)

Marlin model 39 22 LR...20"....simple take down for portability..reliable..cheap ammo...

Marlin 16" 45 Colt shown in pic...my handloaded ammo....including shot capsules...load mild to wild

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by satir
bears so rarely bother anyone that I'd never cut my effective range by that much on small game as to choose a shotgun, nor make that much noise or lug around that much bulk and weight. Caches would help, of course, IF you can be sure of getting back to them. So you'd need quite a few small ones, scattered over a wide area. I wont give the zombie thing any validity. This being a hunting site, I choose to stay away from the combat thing, altho it would of course be part of a real-deal scenario. Full auto is a joke from box mags. Not worthy of any consideration. NVD's, of course, IF you also have a passive IR scanner, a helmet upon which to mount the NVD and a solar charger to keep the batteries functional. The suppressor is a big help, even if humans are not an issue. Animals are not run off by things that they never hear. A subsonic .22 rifle will easily take rabbits at 50% more distance than is feasible with birdshot. You''ll soon get sick of pulling maintenance on blued guns, in a lot of areas. You've got to have nighttime hitting capability. The 223/22lr choice works anywhere, which is one reason I made it. and why I didn't specify any special climate or terrain. It'll work for pretty much anyone, too. Which is why who you are doesn't matter
Personally, I think you are missing a bet not considering the zombie threat. I already see them everytime I go to Walmarts which is why I shop at the Dollar General as much as I can. Full auto is a joke? Okay. Well then, give me a belt-fed minimi.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
22 magnum bolt action

Survival situation I doubt I'm going to be comparison shopping for value. I don't think $12 for 50 rounds of ammo is going to break the bank anyhow. I chose the 22 magnum because it'll kill what needs killing big or small w/o destroying the small, and I can carry a schitload of it.

Long rifle is just as good on zombies, especially if they used to be fat bitches. If I lived as far north as you, I'd have a full set of armor. Not some pussy body armor, but like, a Knight's suit. Just go to the local museum and pick one up since the curator is probably already a zombie and won't mind.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 33 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,878
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.