Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by satir
I stopped being a boy decades ago, I bench 250 and do 1000 lbs on the 45 degree leg press.and run 2 miles in 18 minutes, twice a week.

Catch up, you're the only one to mention boys, as in boy scouts. Don't know your own posts?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by satir
I never said anything about handgun accuracy, just that the .22 mag is weak.

If you can't hit what you're aiming at, shooting just becomes a handy way to reveal your position. I'll take the 22 mag. Final answer.

LOL
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I have my survival set. It's an H&R combo set:

20ga 3"
22 Hornet
22 LR sub cal insert for the Hornet

I'd have a Lee Loader and components, a small amount, for the Hornet, but I'd carry a lot of loaded ammo, both 22 LR and hornet. For the 20 gauge I'd carry only a few shells, mostly bird shot but also a few slugs and several buckshot.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I like that the 22WMR ammo is more weather resistant than the 22 rimfire.

I did not know this. Is this a fact that I somehow missed?

The 22rimfire bullet isn't a very tight seal, but it does have some wax that helps. In extended exposure to rain, creek crossings, like an extended survival situation, it could get moisture in it. The 22WMR is jacketed, and a tight fit in the case, you cannot wiggle it with your fingers.

Of course, Ziploc bags can be a simple way to keep things dry.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Anyhoo, satir isn't looking for any good ideas. He's looking for agreement on his choice.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ima hafta git me some a them *luminous sights*. Sounds like they's just the thing.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

+1 on the M4.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
22 mag has always been my killer gun at home and at camp, it may be the most underated cartridge ever made with plenty power. my choice would be a Savage o/u 22 mag-20 gauge 3 inch, i own two of these o/u`s now. i have been trying convince Savage to make a S.S. plastic stock,takedown 22 mag/20 gauge 3 inch or a 556/20 gauge 3inch with a takedown floating case for this rifle with a small pocket/case on it to hold 3 shotgun shells and a dozen 556 or 22 mag ammo that is water proof. i told them i would buy a dozen for starters

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Drilling, in something like 16ga.,, 223, 9.3

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I have my survival set. It's an H&R combo set:

20ga 3"
22 Hornet
22 LR sub cal insert for the Hornet

I'd have a Lee Loader and components, a small amount, for the Hornet, but I'd carry a lot of loaded ammo, both 22 LR and hornet. For the 20 gauge I'd carry only a few shells, mostly bird shot but also a few slugs and several buckshot.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice!

We used to keep this in the airplane, back when my son was flying. I think it's just right for that purpose.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Considering how much time is spent on forums such as this arguing the virtues of different center fire cartridges and predominantly bolt guns as the carrier of said boolits in putting meat on the table, it's perplexing so many gravitate to .22's and shotguns when the subject of lone survival scenarios and gun choice pops up.

A reliable bolt action rifle in a powerful enough cartridge is more efficient at procuring ounce/meat per ounce/ammunition than most other platforms. I'd rather have a lt. wt. bolt gun in 6.5 swede/creed and a big handful of snare wire than all the shotguns and .22lr. in a Cabellas super store.

Vihjamur Stefansson proved this by spending years at a time on expedition in the arctic. http://www.thearctic.is/articles/topics/legacystefansson/enska/index.htm He and his team determined that the Mannlicher Schoenauer in 6.5x54 was the way to go and were able to hunt and eat their way across some of the most inhospitable terrain our continent has literally for years. Even Brad Angier pushed the Win. Mod 70 in 30.06 for the best all around woods running gun.

Like Ethan mentioned the geography/wildlife should be known before running off into the boonies, but even then, the center fire bolt gun has been the most popular means of filling bellies around the world for over a century.

Give me Mauser in 6.5 swede or .06 and I'd be a happy camper.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Well, wilderness survival, and survival in civil breakdown are two very different scenarios.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Savage model 24 with a 22mag over 20ga.

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well, wilderness survival, and survival in civil breakdown are two very different scenarios.

Agreed, I was under the assumption the OP was referring to scenarios like that on the TV show, out alone in the "wilderness". But yeah, societal breakdown and I'm still keeping my bolt gun but adding to the mix ...

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bolt action 223

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by centershot
Lots of bears on those shows. Think I'd want something bigger than a .223. 12 ga with slugs and shot would be a good choice.
A bear can eat my ass after I shoot him with a 45-70 just as easy as a 556. You think it really matters Eddie? No offense intended.

What the hell are you talking about, Eddie? These bears are hunting you, not the other way around. Point blank in the dark just across the lean to shelter. A 12ga with slugs at 10ft sounds like pretty good medicine to me. 437.5gr slugs @ 1800 fps from a 12 ga generates over 3100ft/lbs. Having 5 more in the magazine for backup ain't a bad idea either. When not in use for self protection there are usually ducks, geese, ptarmigen, grouse, squirrels, etc. for sustenance.

Last edited by centershot; 12/05/19.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[/quote]Ain't a satir one of them goats with a man's head?

I thought it was that funky guitar those Indian dudes pluck.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a double barrel 20 ga.and have a Savage model 24 22 mag /20 gauge.

I also have an insert chambered for the 30 carbine that does a nice job out to 100 yards and because the barrels are so long it is real nice on the ears.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Fireball2
22 magnum bolt action
No offense but why in hell would you pick a 22 Mag.? Ammo is expensive and not nearly as easily as procured as a plain LR. Certainly they are better in a lot of applications, but so is a 223. Don't get it.

Survival situation I doubt I'm going to be comparison shopping for value. I don't think $12 for 50 rounds of ammo is going to break the bank anyhow. I chose the 22 magnum because it'll kill what needs killing big or small w/o destroying the small, and I can carry a schitload of it.
I'm right there with you. I've already killed everythinvg that walks, flies or crawls from rabbits and squirrels to grouse and deer with my Marlin 882 many times over. It is very accurate for a .22 magnum {honest MOA} with it's preferred loads. I know the trajectory like the back of my hand and can kill woodchuck size critters regularly to 175 yards. Rabbits and squirrels are dead meat at 100 easily. Have killed several deer with lung shots using 40 gr hps and they've never gone more than 80 yards. Head shot they've dropped like a lead balloon. I can carry alot of ammo with me and have 4 spare 7 shot magazines and two 4 shot magazines. The rifle has never malfunctioned or broken since I bought it new in 1990 but I do have a spare extractor and firing pin on hand just in case.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
12 Ga SxS with two triggers so I can pick slug or birdshot

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (375TN, 44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 21, 358wsm, 14 invisible), 1,557 guests, and 964 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,951
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.