Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
.375 H&H loaded with either a 300 grain Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame. Plus some 300 grain Woodleigh solids.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
.375 H&H loaded with either a 300 grain Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame. Plus some 300 grain Woodleigh solids.

LOL...what that hits wouldn't survive. grin

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by satir
which gun would you pick, in which caliber, what load(s) how much ammo and why? I'd take an M4 in 223, with a $160, 3/4 lb .CMMG .22lr conversion unit. I'd mostly leave it in .22lr firing "mode", cause most shots are at small game. I'd want 1 in 9" twist rifling, for use with the 60 gr Subsonic Aquila .22 load and 60 gr Nosler Partition softpoints in the 223. I'd want a scope with a see thru mount, and luminous iron sights and a RRA drop in NM trigger job. Having both a centerfire and quiet rimfire is an advantage. Now and then, rapid fire is an advantage and it comes with a dark reflective finish, and can be had with a chromed bore and chamber. I can brain big critters with it to 100m or so, take deer, pronghorn, hogs to 150m with chest hits, too. On snow, 6" or less, in the early morning, or with a dog that would follow a trail., I'd risk a shot on such small "big game' to 200m, too, if needed the meat badly, as long as I could use a braced firing position, so as to put that bullet within 3" of where I wanted it. The caliber swap can be discretely done in 20 seconds, the .22 unit's POI is always less than 2" off of the 223 POI, at 50m. and some are much closer. Groups are always 2" or less at 50m, too, if you haven't chosen the 1 in 7" rifling twist.. I'd want 60 rds of 223 (2 lbs) and 500 rds of the Aquila 60 gr .22's (3 lbs) With the 7 lbs of scoped M4, the 14 lb total is feasible to lug around. You have to cover a lot of ground, nearly everywhere on earth to live by foraging. That much ammo, along with traps, snares, netting, trotlines, fish poison, bird lime, etc, should last me for at least 10 years.

Couple of questions come to mind.
-Are you a marketing rep for CMMG?
-Are you gearing up for Hollywood or the real world?
-Do you have much experience in survival mode or just speculating?
-Ever had any success finding precision with .221-.222 lead bullets in a .224" groove barrel?

Curious minds...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
satir Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S

For what? there's very few elephants anywhere. Most of the time, what you'll be shooting is watefowl and rabbits. This sort of retarded load is pointless. What you want on dangerous game is a BAR 338, so you can have fast repeat hits. You put a softpoint behind the shoulder and then put solids up his butt as he flees.

IC B2

S
satir Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
which gun would you pick, in which caliber, what load(s) how much ammo and why? I'd take an M4 in 223, with a $160, 3/4 lb .CMMG .22lr conversion unit. I'd mostly leave it in .22lr firing "mode", cause most shots are at small game. I'd want 1 in 9" twist rifling, for use with the 60 gr Subsonic Aquila .22 load and 60 gr Nosler Partition softpoints in the 223. I'd want a scope with a see thru mount, and luminous iron sights and a RRA drop in NM trigger job. Having both a centerfire and quiet rimfire is an advantage. Now and then, rapid fire is an advantage and it comes with a dark reflective finish, and can be had with a chromed bore and chamber. I can brain big critters with it to 100m or so, take deer, pronghorn, hogs to 150m with chest hits, too. On snow, 6" or less, in the early morning, or with a dog that would follow a trail., I'd risk a shot on such small "big game' to 200m, too, if needed the meat badly, as long as I could use a braced firing position, so as to put that bullet within 3" of where I wanted it. The caliber swap can be discretely done in 20 seconds, the .22 unit's POI is always less than 2" off of the 223 POI, at 50m. and some are much closer. Groups are always 2" or less at 50m, too, if you haven't chosen the 1 in 7" rifling twist.. I'd want 60 rds of 223 (2 lbs) and 500 rds of the Aquila 60 gr .22's (3 lbs) With the 7 lbs of scoped M4, the 14 lb total is feasible to lug around. You have to cover a lot of ground, nearly everywhere on earth to live by foraging. That much ammo, along with traps, snares, netting, trotlines, fish poison, bird lime, etc, should last me for at least 10 years.

-Ever had any success finding precision with .221-.222 lead bullets in a .224" groove barrel?

Curious minds...

who says you need precision on small game? The .22 units group 2" or better at 50m, which is 2x as good accuracy as is needed. I've taken a truckload of critters with handguns that didn't group half that well. The .22lr bullet is .223", and it easily obtures enough to seal the bore well and grip the rifling. I most certainly am talking about a real world preppper's rifle. I've done a helluva lot of poaching, trapping and netting over the years. I've lived out of a backpack for a couple of months in the woods once. It gets pretty lean in the winter, if you aint preserved 100's of lbs of food. Millions of small critters have fallen to arrows, throwing sticks, etc over the millennia. Anyone who's any good can get within 10m of lots of small critters, when you actually live out there with them, it's mostly just a case of always having the gun at hand. Any farmer or rancher knows this. As a kid, i killed several groundhogs and a couple of coons with clubs I killed one with a doubled over log-chain, one with an overshoe. :-) There was nothing else at hand, so I flailed him on the head until he looked dazed. Then I grabbed him by the tail and cracked his head on the pavement a few tiimes.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Cause I like the .375 and it'll handle anything that walks the earth with no problems. If you only want answers that support yours you are going to be disappointed. Also you have deer,antelope and hogs in your OP,I did not see waterfowl or some such nonsense.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Cause I like the .375 and it'll handle anything that walks the earth with no problems. If you only want answers that support yours you are going to be disappointed. Also you have deer,antelope and hogs in your OP,I did not see waterfowl or some such nonsense.

And a Webley-Fosbery .455 autoloading revolver for back up.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

And a Webley-Fosbery .455 autoloading revolver for back up.

That'll work. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Over and under 12 gauge and 243 win.

winner

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
my suppressed 10/22 ruger, 3-9 Nikon, with 500 rounds in each front jeans pocket, solids and hp's, six 25 round mags loaded and ready in back pockets, piece of cake for anything.

Trump Won!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I killed a coral snake once with my flipflop, Clark!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Curious minds...

who says you need precision on small game? The .22 units group 2" or better at 50m, which is 2x as good accuracy as is needed. I've taken a truckload of critters with handguns that didn't group half that well. The .22lr bullet is .223", and it easily obtures enough to seal the bore well and grip the rifling. I most certainly am talking about a real world preppper's rifle. I've done a helluva lot of poaching, trapping and netting over the years. I've lived out of a backpack for a couple of months in the woods once. It gets pretty lean in the winter, if you aint preserved 100's of lbs of food. Millions of small critters have fallen to arrows, throwing sticks, etc over the millennia. Anyone who's any good can get within 10m of lots of small critters, when you actually live out there with them, it's mostly just a case of always having the gun at hand. Any farmer or rancher knows this. As a kid, i killed several groundhogs and a couple of coons with clubs I killed one with a doubled over log-chain, one with an overshoe. :-) There was nothing else at hand, so I flailed him on the head until he looked dazed. Then I grabbed him by the tail and cracked his head on the pavement a few tiimes.
Kellory ! Where you been lately ? Killed any deer with your shoelaces recently ?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Plenty people did it before. I reckon it depends where you are , what you're surviving and how much money you have.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ruger 10-22 stainless Hogue-stocked takedown

15-round Ruger magazines

CCI Velocitors in ziplock bags

Big or small, it'll kill 'em all. Quietly.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I blew out my pod pot!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Can’t quite picture you wearing flipflops 😳

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
The author of our original post just can not make up his mind.

Are you all alone in the wilderness with scads of game to shoot?

If that is the case, there is certainly no reason to be concerned with noise levels. A loudenboomer just might guide a rescue party to your location.

Or is it a SHTF, end of civilization event?

Does anyone here remember how much game was actually around in the late thirties and through the forties?

I was born in '56, but my Dad and Uncles talked at length about what the depression did to game populations. In Idaho, deer and elk were wiped out anywhere near a human population. We did not see elk again in the low mountains until the sixties.

Bunny rabbits, quail, pheasant, turkey, deer, elk, and antelope populations would not last a month when the also armed starving hordes from the cities swarm over the countryside. I certainly have no illusions that we could protect the cows and horses in my pasture. Though we could make it damned costly to those trying to cart them off.

Once again, the M1 A. A good accurate one should be able to drop a predator of cows at 800 yds.

And hey, if times are despaerate, humans are made of meat also.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A Ruger #1 in .357 mag would work for me. I’d use .38 specials with a low velocity round nose cast bullet for small game and birds, high velocity magnum hollow points for deer and 180 grain hard cast for larger stuff.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A proud poacher are ya?

Let us know when you figure the difference between facts, fiction and fantasy.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

356 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,064
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.