Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
As others have said, lightweight (<16 oz) and short OAL (=< 7") are very desirable traits in centerfire cans, but especially in cans that will be hunted.

My first .30 cal can was a super tough, heavy model, and therefore doesn't make it out of the safe much these days. The second was a lighter weight, 7" Ti model that can take two different removable Direct Thread (DT) mounts and a Thread Over Muzzle Brake (TOMB) mount. I use this can for everything from hunting to shooting a few different rifles at long range.

I bought my third .30 cal can last summer and was mostly interested in the newer generation of lightweight high strength steel cans that have come out. One feature that I specifically wanted was compatibility with the 1.375x24 Omega mount thread pattern. This thread pattern is becoming a defacto industry standard, and compatible cans can use a large variety of QD, TOMB mounts such as Key-mo, YHM QD, ASR, Area 419, Plan A and Plan B, along with DT mounts in various thread patterns from Hansohn Bros, Energetic Armament, Dead Air and Rex Silentium. In short, buying a can with that mount thread gives you tons of mounting options.

My top two cans were the Energetic Armament Vox S and Dead Air Nomad 30. I wound up catching the Nomad on sale at Gunprodeals for $587, so that's what I got. It's also worth noting that until the end of 2019, if you buy a Nomad, Griffin Armament will send you a Plan A mount for the cost of S&H ($7). So you start out with a DT mount and the Plan A TOMB mount right out of the gate.

The SiCo Omega, Rex Silentium MG7 and new YHM Resonator R2 all use the same mount threads and would be worth a look.

If you don't care about having mount options, the Rugged Radiant and TBAC Ultra 7 are also possibilities.

Token pic of this year's Cow, taken with my suppressed 6.5:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by Gtscotty; 12/05/19.
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
^^^^^This^^^^^

I recommend listening to GTscotty when you are starting out with suppressors for hunting. He’s very knowledgeable and helped me a great deal.👍

Judges 21:25
“Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

Liberal=liberated from God...How's that working out?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a 30cal Harvester, a little longer than I would like on a hunting gun, but manageable. I use DT connection, and doubt I would cut off the "brake", just because I'd probably bugger that up.
I have only used it on a 243win so far, and it is a pleasure. My 9yo has shot with full power hunting loads (95 NBT ~2950+ fps) and nary a complaint.
I haven't tried it on the 7RM, but after trying the 243, I ordered an XCaliber threaded 7RM barrel to swap the factory one. I may have become pussified, but going from suppressed 243 to 7RM at the range is not as fun anymore.
Haven't had the chance at game yet, and I hope in a couple of weeks I can test it.

Only draw backs I see on the HArvester are the length, as mentioned, and that it gets warm quickly. If purely for hunting, that should not be a concern, unless shooting pigs Guantanamo style with an AR15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thunderbeast ul7, ul9 or 338 ultra. The 11 ounce ul7 has my vote.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm I understanding it correctly that for most high pressure rounds the Nomad 30 requires the Key-mo?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I'm I understanding it correctly that for most high pressure rounds the Nomad 30 requires the Key-mo?

No, it's written confusingly on their website, so I called to ask a while back. Basically, up to and including 300 Win Mag, you can use Key-Mo or direct thread, for larger cases like .300 RUM/Norma, you have to use direct thread.

I don't know why they don't just reword the asterisk on their website a bit to make it clear as this question has come up a few times on other platforms like Reddit.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 12/05/19.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Appreciate the follow-up... Your advice on the 1.375-24 threads is great info! Thanks!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have SiCo Omega 300 and a couple TBAC ultra 7s, all 30 cal (which is a must for me as I'll give up a bit of noise reduction in favor of more versatility) and direct thread as in order to run a supressor you gotta have threaded muzzles anyway so might as well eliminate the need to buy a $60-$100 mount on each rifle in or to use some QD sort of mount.

Big fan of hunting with suppressors but it'll spoil ya, so buyer beware smile

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have the silencerco omega with direct thread and dead air keymo, dead air sandman titanium direct thread, and a sandman S

The omega I typically run direct thread for hunting rifles and QD for ar type rifles. The sandman TI is a little heavier and longer but sounds better to me. The Sandman S is still pending but any day now

If for a bolt gun that’s used for hunting just go direct thread. Make sure it’s a pretty lightweight can as to not be too cumbersome. Plan on shortening barrel some unless your just hunting box blind type settings.

After shooting deer suppressed I’m not going back anytime soon

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kevinJ

This is my concern with getting into centerfire suppressors (aside from cost and legal hassle). I don't want all my non-suppressed rifles to just collect dust in the back of the safe.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by JPro

This is my concern with getting into centerfire suppressors (aside from cost and legal hassle). I don't want all my non-suppressed rifles to just collect dust in the back of the safe.

It is a valid concern. The only time my non-suppressed rifles come out of the safe now is for range sessions when I am shooting ladders. I use them for something to shoot while my barrels cool on my other guns. I have not hunted unsuppressed in over 5 years now.

The only other thing I use my unsuppressed guns for is as fodder to sell to finance or trade into something I can suppress.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

Shooting and hunting suppressed is a complete game changer. In fact, I am currently in the process of transforming my entire arsenal for suppressors. Will never shoot unsuppressed again. All the cost and hassle is well worth it.
R

Judges 21:25
“Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

Liberal=liberated from God...How's that working out?
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Rhettsker

Shooting and hunting suppressed is a complete game changer. In fact, I am currently in the process of transforming my entire arsenal for suppressors. Will never shoot unsuppressed again. All the cost and hassle is well worth it.
R

This. Suppress all of them. (or at least as many as possible). That doesn't mean a separate suppressor for each gun as some might think, just get the appropriate mount or threading on all of them.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Yondering

This. Suppress all of them. (or at least as many as possible). That doesn't mean a separate suppressor for each gun as some might think, just get the appropriate mount or threading on all of them.

While you could go this route, I have gone the route of having a suppressor for each rifle. Mainly because there is a liberal somewhere out there losing their [bleep] about all the suppressors out there and I am always happy to add to that total, but also so I don't have to move the suppressor to other rifles while at the range.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

As others have said, it's worth it. I avoided that problem by selling several and buying one Fieldcraft to hunt with. Still have multiple .223s for range fodder and a couple others that won't get threaded but are mostly sentimental pieces.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for all the,replies.

Went by the LGS this eve, they are a silencer shop dealer / reseller / partner.

Anyone know is silencershop charge taxes for out of state sales?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

You'll get charged the sales tax that the LGS charges on all sales.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sell the un-used rifles and by more suppressor ready rifles and suppressors...!

Dave

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I called the shop yesterday and was told to expect my Nomad in February or maybe a little sooner, I look forward to using it on the Fieldcraft.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

You'll get charged the sales tax that the LGS charges on all sales.

I was thinking it would be same as online firearm. The LGS only does the transfer.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,780 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.