Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I had the same thing happen to both of my 25-06's. Although much much sooner, like 50 rounds of 80grn Barnes TTSX doing 3,600fps. I used Sweets 7.62 cleaner and removed a ton of copper. Took about 12 rounds the other day for it to get the barrel of my M700 CDL right back where it was, bout 2/3 inch groups and an inch and a half high at 100 yards. I actually called barnes and the guy told me that when your groups open up, it is usally time to use a copper remover.

Last edited by bmoney; 12/07/19.
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
You may want to try JB Bore cleaner.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You mean Sweets?
I was fooling my self for years thinking Sweets was doing an adequate job, thought all that "rust" at the end of the barrel was rust, nope, Copper.

Wipeout, my new best friend.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know I will catch hell for this but I had my best luck with the old Outers Foul Out II. Minimal work and squeaky clean bores in just a little bit.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Have you cleaned it to bare metal using a good copper remover?

This.

I learned the hard way with X bullets a long time ago.....
Don’t forget the JB Compound after the patches stop coming out blue—‘cause there will still be some copper in the barrel.

The monos with grooves addressed much of the copper fouling issue, but monos still copper foul a lot more than most conventional bullets—something that’s not mentioned much these days.

Although checking the scope mounts could still find the culprit.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Action screws?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
This one will likely puke and now you can say you've "seen" a Franklin Whizzum. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

If you don't mind, spill your guts on POA/POI, return to zero, and holding zero.

Have seen a couple threads over the past several months where folks have purchased and claim it's "good", but provide nothing other than platitudes as "evidence" to sway a me into a purchase decision.

The price isn't bad, and an illuminated reticle gets my interest.... but... it's a Burris. So, I remain skeptical.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you are using Sweets don't leave it in the barrel for an extended period of time (per directions) and make sure not to mix it with any other solvent in the barrel, if you are cleaning the carbon with shooters choice, clean the shooters choice itself out before moving onto the copper solvent.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wipe out, several over night applications until clean patches....

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kenneth
You mean Sweets?
I was fooling my self for years thinking Sweets was doing an adequate job, thought all that "rust" at the end of the barrel was rust, nope, Copper.

Wipeout, my new best friend.

Wipeout is highly suggested. I may even try that product. I just loaded up some 175gr LRX bullets lastnight in fact, I'm hoping my barrel isn't a copper collector. We shall see and I may end up buying some wipeout as well....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by FOsteology
If you don't mind, spill your guts on ...

...The price isn't bad, and an illuminated reticle gets my interest.... but... it's a Burris. So, I remain skeptical.

Bad experience with Burris?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'ology,

Winter Cast & Blasts are a great time,to see if something will make the cut,so I purposely poked it upon a Beloved Fur Knocker. Hint.

It is SFP,Illuminated(obviously) and larger than I had pictured in my speculations. No parallax adjustment,.5 MOA ele/windage adjustments,96 MO/MO's of total ele travel and wears forgiving eye-relief,that is none too critical. Hint.

In extrapolation,to wares that are more mainstay,so the astute can get the vibe.

The illumination is daylight bright,this is #6 of 10 rheostat settings.

At least Burris will tell ya',while Reupold sweeps it under a rug. Hint.

Even in a 18" Krunchenticker,the Whizzum hauls ass and due ring height,I'm more than comfy with a 200yd zero. Don't take much correction,to get it to the Transonic Slip and 17's fhuqking fall apart there. Don't see myself doing a buncha erector dialing on it,as per it's Utilitarian Tasking and simply HOPE the fhuqking thing holds zero. Current rash of high pressure crisp/clear weather now and blue skies don't "test" a fhuqking thing. Once it flops,the Monsoons will return and I'll wear it slung all day,every day,whacking schit that fhuqks with Chrome. It's prolly even fun.(grin)

I'd certainly not wager on it's behalf,but it would be a nice suplize,if the fhuqking thig hangs in there. As per always,trigger time will resolve all and I rather like this platform,due balance/handling and relative Oooooomph. In fairness,I've never had a Burris scope,work worth a fhuqk. Have a goodly herd of FF3's and never a bobble there,though none ride anything more invigorating than a Grock 34.

Film at 11:00.

Hint....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One thing about wipeout and my brass jag, I do get false readings but that barrel is freakin shiny clean.

A few minutes ago I went and looked down a takeoff barrel that I recently replaced, The muzzle end clearly shows "rust",

That barrel was cleaned for years with Sweets and a few others including Boretech,

Neither have cleaned that barrel sufficiently.

For the hell of it, I'll use wipeout today on that takeoff, and report back tomorrow.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Originally Posted by Big Stick
This one will likely puke and now you can say you've "seen" a Franklin Whizzum. Hint.

If you don't mind, spill your guts on POA/POI, return to zero, and holding zero.

Have seen a couple threads over the past several months where folks have purchased and claim it's "good", but provide nothing other than platitudes as "evidence" to sway a me into a purchase decision.

The price isn't bad, and an illuminated reticle gets my interest.... but... it's a Burris. So, I remain skeptical.

Burris is making better and better stuff all the time. You hear of a hole hell of a lot less failures with Burris than you do Leupold. I much prefer their AR scopes with proper cantilever mounts myself. But to each their own...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
'stick, thought we was going 'catching',

all you have to do is pay my airfare and I'm on my way.............

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had the same problem years ago... I THOUGHT I had a clean barrel. WIPEOUT made me a believer

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can walk from the front porch,to the first Chrome Patch...but the neighborhood kids fish it and I don't need to steal their thunder. Saturday's Mail is fhuqking goofy,in that you can only retrieve parcels betwixt Noon and 2:00PM,which puts a damper on thangs. I'm at ease in awaiting the Chinooking SE Hurricane and having it all to myself. Hint.

Nice to be tied wayyyyyy ahead,dabble some new wares,gun some come-ups and flail on the Reloading Press. Hoping my GFI Kenai 22/45 LITE holster arrives this afternoon,as a backer for the pending Burris puke.(grin)

Now as mounting systems go,the LAST fhuqking thing I want anywhere,is cantilever bullschit. I want my schit Direct Drive,if only because rifles don't shoot "tight"...they shoot loose. I'm rather at ease,in the sanctity of Tall 'Horn's and 40 MO/MO's tossed in the equation,as Centerfire Krunchentickers go. Though I've seen me 'Horn Rimfire Krunchentickers too. Prolly don't suck on a RAPR either,as ring spacing is a scope's BEST friend. Hint.

Hell...I lOVE 'em everywhere. Hint.

Though it's tough not love a 75 MOA rail and Marty Steel Max 50's. Hint.

Mebbe the OP's barrel is "shot out"? Hint. LAUGHING!

Wow +P++!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I see he is back. Offer still stands. I'm at Elmendorf AFB about once a month. Would enjoy meeting you. Bet I could adjust that attitude for ya. HINT. Of course you won't though. Coward hiding behind a keyboard

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I seem to remember reading that match accuracy of a 308 Win would begin to degrade around 2000 rounds. "Decent" accuracy (subjective) was 2500-3000+ rounds. Depends how fast you shoot and other factors. A 30-06 would be in the same general round count, I would imagine.(3k ++). I'm guessing you are not at 50% of barrel life.

Decline of accuracy would be gradual, not a step function. Somethings else has changed. Different lot of bullets or primers? seating depth?, nicked crown? Could be copper fouling ( wipe out is good stuff).

Be patient. You will find the issue.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by buttstock
I seem to remember reading that match accuracy of a 308 Win would begin to degrade around 2000 rounds. "Decent" accuracy (subjective) was 2500-3000+ rounds. Depends how fast you shoot and other factors. A 30-06 would be in the same general round count, I would imagine.(3k ++). I'm guessing you are not at 50% of barrel life.

Decline of accuracy would be gradual, not a step function. Somethings else has changed. Different lot of bullets or primers? seating depth?, nicked crown? Could be copper fouling ( wipe out is good stuff).

Be patient. You will find the issue.

Just shot a 445 -21x at our state palma championship today with my .308 M70 palma rifle with approx 3900 rounds down the barrel. This rifle is subject to many 20+ round strings of 155s at 3000 fps in the Phoenix summer. There is something other than barrel wear going on...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,295
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.