Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm selling a couple hundred bucks of merchandise online, Guy wants to pay me with paypal, He says it only takes minutes to set up,

No big deal?

fees?

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kenneth;
Good evening to you sir, I hope this finds you well.

While I've purchased stuff online for years with PayPal, I've never sold anything with it.

Our youngest daughter was setting up some tutoring or something similar and asked me a month ago.

This is what I found online, but again that's not based on personal experience with them as a seller.

"2.9 percent
If you are a merchant or business that uses PayPal to accept payments from your customers and clients, then PayPal takes 2.9 percent of the payment plus 30 cents per transaction before putting the money in your account. This fee is only on the business side of the transaction; the customer isn't charged anything"

Hopefully someone with actual experience will verify that number.

All the best whichever way you decide and Happy Christmas to you and yours this season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Friends and family option= 0 fees.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fester

And zer0 protection.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
If you are one of the lucky ones for which paypal will work properly. I spent a week and a accumulated a couple hours on the phone during that week trying to get paypal to recognize either on of two accounts.

We never could get an account to work. And while the situation is rare, during discussion here in a previous thread, a couple of guys claimed the same difficulty.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JMO but I would tell him to send a bank check.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If you have Paypal linked to a credit card and seller,s Paypal is linked to a checking account you may get a cash equivalent fee charge on your credit card. Your credit card views it the same as a cash withdrawal from your credit card.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anti-Gun POS Commie CA Company

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've used PayPal for years both buying and selling. If you're selling and you don't want any hassle then stipulate that you'll only do friends and family. For example I once sold a guy some hot rod stuff and he filed a dispute and said it was no good. The only way I won the dispute and didn't have to refund him was I stipulated if the buyer wasn't satisfied they had to return the items on there dime. He was trying to keep the items and get his money back. I've seen that tried more than once. On the other hand if your buying a big ticket item you want the buyer protection and if you opt to use friends and family you're taking a risk on getting screwed. Obviously common sense prevails. Don't buy and pay with friends and family if it's someone new on a forum. Always use a credit card to fund your PayPal and definitely not a debit card. You have next to zero recourse with a debit card but a credit card company will get your money back if you can reasonably prove your case. I've only had a couple shady deals with PayPal and they both worked in my favor because I keep emails etc. I use PayPal several times a week and I feel comfortable doing so.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
paypal is not worth dealing with, even without fees.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I run 99% of my Frankenstud Sling Keeper buisness through Paypal

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I pay with it on Ebay almost all of the time. I don't like the politics of either, so I don't hold anything in my account.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Square Cash is better

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I keep a separate account just for Paypal. Don’t link your primary account under any circumstances. If there is a problem, Pp can actually freeze your account indefinitely. I’ve heard the horror stories so I don’t risk it.

I do not use F&F unless I absolutely know the person on the other end. If the guy has heartburn with that, I pass on the item because I’m willing to pay the fees so it’s not coming out of his pocket. He’s not out anything so what is the difference? To me, the minimal added fee is just cheap insurance.

If the deal goes south and you pay with F&F you are SOL with no recourse whatsoever. You basically just gifted him the money in the hopes that he would send you the goods. If he decides to tell you to GFY, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it because you have effectively given him the money. That’s what F&F is for, it’s for gifting friends and family money. If you’re the trusting type and willing to risk that with strangers on the internet, you’re a very trusting soul indeed.

OTOH, If you pay with Goods and Services you can file a formal dispute and 90% of the time you’ll get your money back if something goes wrong.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 12/07/19.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have had hundreds of trouble free PayPal transactions. If you don't know someone, don't F&F funds if it's an amount that matters to you... Fee is only 3.5%.

One spot of caution is linking to a bank account. I'd recommend a separate account set up just for use with PayPal... Or a low dollar account. Mine are all like that! If you accidentally hit send $8000 instead of $8.00. You just gave PayPal access to $8000 of it in a linked account. Someone pays you some money, you can simply transfer in to your account. No fee. Or get a PayPal debit card, use for purchases or ATM withdrawal.

It works various way. FF from your PP to Their PP. No fees
But FF from your bank account will have fees.
They don't need a PP to send you money. You can send a PP invoice they can pay with a card., Card info is not divulged...
Fully automated transaction don't cost them, so they don't charge you. F&F goes from your PP to another's without leaving PP to a third party. It's fuggin free.

My take on the ant-gun rants. It's their business and likely gives their company less legal exposure. All wise on their part. BFD.

Some transaction on here have been done deals in a matter of minutes rather than waiting days, and mailing and bullchit... Works like a freaking dream.

I have had several thing to contest also. I did not get item, seller doesn't respond. PP takes over. Seller doesn't respond. PP pays you. It's easy. If it was sent F&F they ain't going to do that.

Also, I use PayPal checkout a lot. click click click. PP takes it out of my bank account and pays the vendor. I never had to give the vendor any info. Easy peasy. No fee. Unless I am going PayPal credit which is like 27 damned percent. LOL

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 12/07/19. Reason: tired

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I think showdog and dryfly, bring up very good points. I love Chris Reeve knives and buy from people all over the United states. I always use PayPal, sometimes the gold I deal with it's also there first time. Using all the advice from this thread will set you up for success.

Last edited by RelaxedGuy; 12/08/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ttt

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fester

I won't do business with anyone willing to cheat PayPal.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 20 invisible), 1,997 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.