Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep, its official, I have the greatest wife on planet Earth. She is well aware that my life long dream is to Elk hunt in the West. Growing up here in NH, I have been fortunate to have grown up in a 5 generation hunting family, and have taken deer, bear, moose, rabbit, grouse, and a handful of predators. My dream has always been to hunt the west for elk. Well, when I opened up my birthday card last week from my wife, I realized that dream will come true. I will be hunting with Broadmouth Canyon outfitters in Idaho, along with my lifelong best friend and hunting partner during the first week of September, 2020. I am excited beyond belief!! I have a significant gun collection including several hunting rifles, but have decided to take a Tikka T3X Lite rifle in 300 WSM. I will be topping it with a vortex 4-12 scope, and since I reload for most of my hunting applications, have decide to try 180 Nosler Partitions with RL 22 powder as a starting point. Given the choice to drive or fly, we are leaning hard towards driving the 2500 mies each way, as we are thinking bringing home our meat and heads will be easier/cheaper this way. We have chosen a "management bull" hunt each, and are looking forward to this trip of a lifetime.
I would appreciate any and all tips, pointers, or advice from you folks West of the big River who have elk hunting experiences. Gear, equipment, tips, tricks, and advice would be much appreciated from this New England Hill Billy. I had the good fortune of moving out to, and living in the little town of Salmon, Idaho when I graduated from Forestry School in 1990. It was the most incredible place I have ever been, and can't wait to get back to God's country, if even for a week. Thanks in advance to any and all who have anything to offer, I have found the croud here at "The Fire", to be a helpful and enjoyable bunch of folks over the past several years.

Rich

"Dying ain't much of a living, Boy." Josey Wales
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What unit? Almost all the elk hunting in Sept is archery with a few cow hunts for rifle. I think the MIddle Fork zone might have a bull hunt open then but I'm not sure. By management bull do you mean a private herd hunt?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Howdy, yes its a private heard hunt I believe. 5,000 acres in South Eastern Idaho, and 5000 acres in North Eastern Utah. We have chosen to hunt in Idaho.

Rich

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great !!! Have a fine time and enjoy your hunt..

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great! I've never hunted in that part of the state. It's a beautiful area. Sept in this area can be darn hot but you can't count on that. It could be in the 80's but maybe not. I've hunted in snow over Labor Day.

― George Orwell

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nothing to offer except that, you’ve chosen a pretty good cartridge. You’ve also chosen a pretty good bullet! Practice a good bit at some extended ranges! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/17/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I need to start dropping hints to my wife!

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks as if you and your partner will be comfortable and well fed. A nice "elk camp."

https://www.utahelkhunt.com/idaho/

As Rock Chuck said, odds are it will be pretty warm that time of the year, September, but might get cold. That said, do take some cold weather clothing just in case.

If you will be using horses from the ranch house, and if you do not now how to ride a horse, I suggest you and your bud take a few riding lessons at a riding stable near you ... if possible.

Your .300 WSM should get the job done very well.

By the way, if you and your partner will be staying in motels, do not leave any guns, etc., etc., etc., in your vehicle when you are sleeping.

Good luck.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Get in shape. Every year when climbing mountains in Colorado I’ve told myself “I wish I had worked out harder.”

You’ll enjoy it much more if you’re in good shape.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you all!! I'm taking all this in... smile

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Enjoy it. I did my 1st one last fall at age 60. It was a DIY hunt on public land in CO. My wife doesn't hunt, but spent every minute in the woods with me to help pack out if i'd killed anything. I wasn't successful, but still had the experience of a lifetime. For a variety of reasons it just didn't happen this year. Biggest reason was grand child #5 being born 2-3 days prior to opening day. I plan to go back again next year for a similar hunt. If not successful then I'll start looking at guided hunts.

Most important advice is to prepare for the altitude. While last fall was my 1st elk hunt, I've deer hunted in CO in the past and taken several summer trips all over the Rockies. For me the 1st 2-3 days in the altitude always kicks my butt. But by the 3rd day I've always been fine. I live at about 1000', but to prepare do some hiking at 4000" here in GA and there are some places in TN where I can get over 6000'. It isn't 11,000', but is better than nothing.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see from their website that the highest elevation there is 7500'. That's not particularly high...unless you live under 1000'. If you do, you might find yourself sucking some air.

― George Orwell

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Come out a couple days early and get used to the elevation and also do some longer range shooting with your rifles. I live a couple of hours south of where you will be hunting, so PM me for some local intel if you would like.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Knock one down man

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you Utah708,

Rich

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Work out more than you think you need to.

Start breaking in a good stiff mountain boot tomorrow. 50 miles minimum, before you go.

I'm partial to the 300wsm for my big game, get comfortable shooting to 500, maybe 600 yards.

Soak it up. Agree in driving. The journey is as good as the destination.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My only comment is,

Your wife is awesome.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and you should take her with you, since you won't be roughing it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think you'll have to worry about too much other than making sure you don't pull the trigger on something you don't want to pay $$$$ for! When a booger like this staring at you remember what you are paying for, don't rationalize the extra $$$ in the split seconds haha.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Solid advice in this thread. I'll only add to really give your scope choice some thought, and test it extensively before going. Lotsa stuff gets killed with Vortex scopes but they have enough failures that you should be sure it's right. Also, take a back-up rig. Congrats on the present and the wife!

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You've got a fantastic choice for rifle, chambering, and load. Once you're sighted in, practice shooting over a pack and/or off of bipods. Do your best to obtain a good level of expediency getting into a shooting position.

Now, take every piece of cotton hunting clothing you've got and burn it so you're not tempted to take it with you.

Lightweight and midweight Merino and/or a couple different weights of synthetic base layers. Merino can be worn several days without stinking something awful. For me, I can't stand more than 2 days in any one synthetic base layer without a wash as it holds an awful stink after that thus I prefer Merino. I suppose everyone's stink-factor/tolerance is different. I find Merino capable of comfort in a wider range of temps than synthetics. Topping out @ 7K' and an early Sept hunt means you're more likely to have to worry about hot than cold.

Boots that fit well and are well broken in. A set of travel/compact boot dryers while you're at it. Even the best waterproof boots can be sweated wet from the inside.

I sit on one of these for long-term glassing in order to keep my backside dry and the cushion of air helps insulate from the cold ground as well:

Glassing Seat

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s a private land herd hunt...You’re likely able to go in fairly light with possible amenities provided with the hunt...Like downed elk retrieval, gutting, skinning inside a barn or shop...Chunk cutting of your meat and wrapping with cold storage to hold your meat until you leave.

Proper clothes, boots, etc...Capacity to handle your rifle out to 350-400 yards. I’ve heard some outfits won’t allow a customer to take a shot passed a predetermined distance.

Several coolers for your trip home and a good way to secure your meat in the truck from theft when you stop for rest at a hotel/motel. Yes, ass-hats will steal not only your gear, but meat, cape and horns if your bull shooting.

Take cash for a tip to your guide and meat packers, etc..

Never done one of these type of hunts, know several who have. It’s a great way to put meat in your freezer.

Have fun!
😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would definitely hit up Jorge they did this hunt a few yrs back and had a blast from what I remember.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Last edited by 79S; 12/19/19.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you!! This is some solid advice that I am taking seriously. I knew the crew here at "The Fire" would have some helpful input. This is very much appreciated,

Rich

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had a friend that looked into this hunt, it’s a 5000 acre high fence operation.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R

I grew up in that part of the world. Great country. May be private land with a great lodge but it is elk country and can be pretty rough. I have seen snow in September and hot weather in October so be prepared. Prepare and enjoy.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Personally I would opt out of the Vortex.

If it were me, I would up the odds for repeatability by picking up a Nightforce or an SWFA.

Skip bench shooting once you have verified the dope on your rifle.

Once you have the rifle part squared away. Start practicing by shooting over your pack, and on steep inclines and declines. Figure out how to sit on a steep hillside and take a shot, if needed, using a bipod and your ruck.

Practice shooting using trekking poles crossed as support.

The more adaptable you are in field positions the more shooting opportunities you will have.

I was just in Salmon yesterday, it was a little chilly. Oddly enough, a good ways south of there I had roughly 50 elk run across the road right in front of me on the side road I was on, when I was going to visit a friend. I had a cow tag in my pocket and a rifle on the seat. However I just had back surgery I promised the bride I would not wrestle hind quarters for a while.. The dang things were practically begging me yesterday morning..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It would have been about the easiest cow ever... crazy But it would have made me late, and I never would have heard the end of it from the bride.

Lots of game out.

Wild Turkeys, Bighorn Deer, Elk. It was a good day for a drive.

Anyways,

Practice your field shooting positions and cardio, cardio, cardio.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'm not a Vortex fan either. They have as good a warranty as anyone but it doesn't help when your're on a once in a lifetime hunt and your scope goes tits up. If you are determined to take it, I would take a back up scope just in case. I doubt you will have too much trouble otherwise on a hunt like this. Have fun.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Plenty of good advice thus far.

I’ll add that you should understand what you’re actually getting in a guided hunt. It’s not just help shooting an elk, but access to your outfitter’s knowledge and experience, his help recovering meat, and access to gear and vehicles that he bought and maintains. You may never see some of this gear, but if you need it he can pull it out of thin air. On the one guided elk hunt that I’ve taken, this turned out to be mountain bikes to get into an area where vehicles were not allowed and kayaks to recover the meat.

Ask your outfitter how to prepare for this hunt then follow his advice. He’s hunted elk on that land during that time of year and he knows what he’s talking about. Once you get there, watch everything that he and his guides do. Offer to help with every chore, especially the tough ones. It’s just good manners, and the more you help the crew, the harder they’ll work for you. Ask questions, take notes, and learn as much as you can. It makes the whole thing far more enjoyable and you might learn enough to make a self-guided hunt later on.

This hunt is a big deal for you, so tip accordingly. Tip even if you don’t score. Guides and outfitters don’t earn much.

Not all shots in western hunting are long, so zero for 200 yards then start to train like Mackay Sagebrush described. Get good at that, then try it when you’re huffing and puffing from exertion or excitement. Also, train for fast offhand shots inside of 100 yards—you may jump a bull in the timber. The goal is not to prepare, but to find and understand your limits. Then you can have an honest conversation with your guide that helps him determine how to hunt with you.

Cardio is a good idea, but don't skip resistance training. Focus on compound multi-joint lifts: squats, deadlifts, dips, rows, bench presses, etc. No need to go crazy, just build good core strength and work outwards from there. Strong people are harder to kill and more useful in general, plus added muscle mass helps prevent injuries in the field. Along with that, develop a good stretching routine and maintain it in camp. You’ll be a lot more comfortable the next morning and flexibility helps prevent injuries.

Take an extra scope that’s already in rings and zeroed. A spare rifle isn’t a bad idea if there’s a safe place to keep it while you’re in the woods. If you change your mind and decide to fly, then take a rifle chambered for a common factory cartridge and know your zero for commonly available factory loads in case the airline loses your bags.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good choice of caliber and bullet. I'm not a fan of variable power scopes especially with a rifle that has the amount of recoil yours does. My average shot distance would be less than 150 yards . Longest ever about 350. My methods are walking quietly, sitting or spot and stalk. Good luck and enjoy your hunt.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by okie john

If you change your mind and decide to fly, then take a rifle chambered for a common factory cartridge and know your zero for commonly available factory loads in case the airline loses your bags.

Okie John

I always put at least one box of ammo in the same case or bag as the rifle. If the rifle makes it, the ammo does too.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

If you change your mind and decide to fly, then take a rifle chambered for a common factory cartridge and know your zero for commonly available factory loads in case the airline loses your bags.

Okie John

I always put at least one box of ammo in the same case or bag as the rifle. If the rifle makes it, the ammo does too.

Good idea. But I'm pretty sure that TSA and the airlines won't allow it.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It sounds like you got a good woman. Does she have any sisters?
Enjoy the experience!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Beaver10
It’s a private land herd hunt...You’re likely able to go in fairly light with possible amenities provided with the hunt...Like downed elk retrieval, gutting, skinning inside a barn or shop...Chunk cutting of your meat and wrapping with cold storage to hold your meat until you leave.

Proper clothes, boots, etc...Capacity to handle your rifle out to 350-400 yards. I’ve heard some outfits won’t allow a customer to take a shot passed a predetermined distance.

Several coolers for your trip home and a good way to secure your meat in the truck from theft when you stop for rest at a hotel/motel. Yes, ass-hats will steal not only your gear, but meat, cape and horns if your bull shooting.

Take cash for a tip to your guide and meat packers, etc..

Never done one of these type of hunts, know several who have. It’s a great way to put meat in your freezer.

Have fun!
😎

Another way to haul meat that far is put a small chest freezer in the back of a pickup or trailer. A generator or plugging it in at night at a motel will keep it cool enough to get home. Keep it covered and tarped as moving air will warm it up.

― George Orwell

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think most of the tips so far have been good. I would recommend two pair of good boots to alternate daily and a boot dryer if you have room for it and electricity and at least 1 back up rifle between you. I have never had a rifle or scope fail on a hunt but that’s probably because I had a suitable backup along. A layering system is preferable to a heavy jacket. With one exception, all my hunting coats are shells so I can layer up or down from morning to mid day. Don’t let “just” 7,500 feet fool you. You can become sick and dehydrated easily at that elevation in a hurry. I have had flu-like symptoms of altitude sickness at that elevation in the past when I didn’t allow a couple of days to acclimate. If you drive, coming across Wyoming, Montana, or Colorado will give you a day or so of that. Go heavy on the water and light on the booze. We’ve had guys end up in the ER for dehydration that didn’t drink enough water. Coffee and soda pop doesn’t count. A cardiac stress test might be a good thing if your insurance pays for it. Find some odorless sunscreen and use it. Don’t forget the back of your hands if not glove weather. One of the worst sunburns I ever had was from Colorado in late October. Goes double if there is snow on the ground, which is not too likely in September. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Tikka T3 light in a 300WSM ? My kids . Tikka in .270 Win kicks like a mule.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Broadmouth Ranch is a high fence hunt operated by Roulon Jones. His outfit has high fence hunts in Utah and New Mexico also.

This is the same ranch Jorge and Pugs hunted a few years ago and we gave them a hard time over.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../11480672/Great_Broadmouth_Canyon_Elk_Ma

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11475838/The_Pugs,_Jorge,_Hatari_and_Ze

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Good luck on your hunt. Go now, while you are still young enough to hike and climb. I went back to hunt Colorado in 2018, at age 72. I was not as spry as I was 27 years earlier! All good advice above. Practice shooting a lot, and bring two pairs of boots, as someone said earlier. There's nothing worse than cold, wet boots in the morning.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho has some tight regulations on these private herds that include ear tagging and routine testing for CWD. So far CWD hasn't been found in Idaho. Private elk must wear brightly colored ear tags so if they escape, they can be told from wild elk. The IDFG is doing all they can to prevent genes from private elk getting into the wild herd.
About 15 years ago, a bear tore down a fence at one of these ranches (different ranch than this one) and about 100 elk escaped. The owner didn't report it to the IDFG as was required by law. He wasn't having much luck herding them back in. He was reported to have been seen herding them into timber so they couldn't be seen. The governor declared a carte blanche on any elk wearing an ear tag. They could be shot at any time and in any number. The rancher threatened to sue any hunter who shot one. He would lose in court but the hunter would end up eating a bunch of legal fees. To get even, the rancher ran against the governor in the next election but failed. I never did hear whether the elk were captured or killed.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Work out more than you think you need to.

Start breaking in a good stiff mountain boot tomorrow. 50 miles minimum, before you go.

I'm partial to the 300wsm for my big game, get comfortable shooting to 500, maybe 600 yards.

Soak it up. Agree in driving. The journey is as good as the destination.

THIS

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

About 10 years ago Utah found CWD in a batch of recently purchased elk from Michigan at the Utah Broadmouth ranch. The entire ranch was under quarantine and Rulon couldn’t move elk between his ranches for a while.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Man, what a gift!

I turn 50 this year as well. I think I'm going to leave this thread open on my laptop until May and see what happens! lol

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good Luck, Rooster!! smile. smile

Rich

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Okie John

They most certainly will. The ammo. needs to be in factory box and there will be no problems. We flew to AK. this past fall and that's where we put our ammo., in the gun cases.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
As Alpinecreek said, Rulon Jones owns that operation. He played several years for the Denver Broncos, and is a second cousin of mine, but I've only met him once at a family reunion. (Some of you may remember his dad, Larry Jones, also a very accomplished hunter in his own right). His properties are quite amazing from what I've seen and heard, and while I'm not really a high fence guy, I think these elk on a 5,000 acre ranch in the mountains of Idaho are going to require some actual hunting. Prepare accordingly and have fun!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
5000 acres is tad under 8 square miles. In rough country, that can be a lot of room. I've never been on that particular chunk of ground. It could be open like much of so. Idaho where you can easily glass for 2 miles, or it could be heavily timbered and convoluted like wrinkled up tin foil, also like much of so. Idaho. It can make for some nasty hiking.

― George Orwell

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Get you a stair stepper, start fighting it, you’ll be glad you did.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by TRnCO

Okie John

They most certainly will. The ammo. needs to be in factory box and there will be no problems. We flew to AK. this past fall and that's where we put our ammo., in the gun cases.

TRnCO is right. Flew to AK and back last fall with a rifle and a pistol and all of the ammo for each in a single locked hard case.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm turning 50 in July. I want to go!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The only downside to going on your first elk hunt when you're 50 is, you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner..... grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 67 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,413
Posts18,470,470
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.