Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No one on this site is as big a fan of Remington firearms as I am, and despite all the negative publicity, I've always had good luck out of them.............until this morning. I have a Remington Model 7 Predator that I bought new in either 2008 or 09, not sure just know it was as soon as I found out about them being introduced. It's always been one of my favorite rifles, it's in 223 and a very good shooter. When I got it, I adjusted the trigger to 3-3 1/2 pounds, and it's been very consistent........and yes, I adjusted it properly.

About 3 years ago, I was shooting at a coyote one real cold morning, and when I flipped the safety off, the rifle fired. I was wearing gloves that morning, and thought I had put my finger on the trigger unknowingly. To be sure, I took the rifle apart, cleaned the trigger with gas, blew it clean with air, put it back together, and tried to get it to accidently fire probably 50 times, and it would not. I have used this rifle a bunch since then with zero problems.

Now, fast forward until last week. Took it out to check the zero, and the first time I went to fire it, it went off as soon as the safety was released......but again as before, the weather was cold and I had on gloves, so I suspected a light trigger pull and the fact that arthritis makes my fingers not have a lot sensitivity. Again, I took it apart, cleaned it good, checked the pull, and tried to make it go off again a number of times, and it didn't. Took it hunting yesterday morning, and checked it again several times, by pointing it upward with a loaded chamber and taking the safety off............and it never fired.

This morning, I went coyote hunting again, and having no luck, decided to shoot a crow. It went off again prematurely, and again, I had on gloves which made me think......but, I knew I had not put pressure on the trigger. So, I tried it a second time, finger nowhere near the trigger, and the rifle fired when I took the safety off.

I've got a bunch of Remington rifles, several with the Walker trigger, and have never had a problem until now. I don't like the XMark-Pro trigger, and have replaced most of mine either with a Timney or put in a spring from Ernie the Gunsmith. On this particular rifle, I know the trigger isn't full of oil and grime, and I know it was adjusted properly. I am going to replace it......today. I'll toss the old one, which is apparently a Walker style, as it's not the newer ones. I don't trust it anymore..........period. I still like my Remington rifles, and would buy another one day with no qualms whatsoever. But, I will no longer defend their trigger issue, and it is a major issue, as I can now personally attest.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Great post. Thanks.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
you adjusted it, so is it really Remington's fault?

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you keep the trigger I suggest a little creep (more sear engagement). All of my hunting rifles have some creep and I want them like that.

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 12/19/19.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Jeez, you are a little slow on the uptake. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

I have never had a problem with a Remington trigger but I have never adjusted one either. I did put a Timney trigger on one and it has been good.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had an out of the box 700 ADL 25-06 do that when I was walking back to the car and with the rifle pointed safely flicked the safety off to unload the rifle. My hunting partner in front of me almost had a heart attack. I thought at the time that I had actually touched the trigger when I had not. I bought that rifle in 1974.

If they were not problematic, Remington would never have changed the design and suffered thru numerous lawsuits. The design cannot be defended, it is a sheetmetal POS made on the cheap.

How is it that Sako,Tikka, Winchester, Ruger and a host of others never had this problem?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Should've let a gunsmith do it. Then it'd still be screwed up and also have KFC crumbs in it. And he'd have it for 15 months and charge you $200.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
James, had this happen to me last year with my 722 in 257 Bob. Cleaned it all up and tested. Nothing since. So I am very sympathetic. I will be switching it out because this particular rifle will be going to my grandson when I'm gone. I am a fan of old Remingtons, especially rimfires. But when something needs fixed we should do it.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TRnCO
you adjusted it, so is it really Remington's fault?

I have been adjusting Remington triggers, the screw for pull weight, on EVERY Remington 700 or 7 that I've owned, and that's been a bunch. Never had a problem until now. By the way, I never adjust a Remington trigger below 3 pounds, as I like mine in the 3-3 1/2 range for hunting.

I know people who have claimed they went off, and they never adjusted theirs, leaving them as they came from the factory. I was a doubter.........until now.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Here's how the Rem trigger lawsuits should've gone:

Rem lawyer: "Did you adjust the trigger either yourself or have someone do it for you?"

Plaintiff: "Yes".

Judge: "Case Dismissed"

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Precisely why you don't rely on an empty gun or a safety, If you rely on muzzle control nobody gets hurt when everything else goes wrong.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Precisely why you don't rely on an empty gun or a safety, If you rely on muzzle control nobody gets hurt when everything else goes wrong.

This^^^^. Perhaps James could make that dumbass Rollin Blunder a good deal on that rifle.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JamesJr
No one on this site is as big a fan of Remington firearms as I am, and despite all the negative publicity, I've always had good luck out of them.............until this morning. I have a Remington Model 7 Predator that I bought new in either 2008 or 09, not sure just know it was as soon as I found out about them being introduced. It's always been one of my favorite rifles, it's in 223 and a very good shooter. When I got it, I adjusted the trigger to 3-3 1/2 pounds, and it's been very consistent........and yes, I adjusted it properly.

About 3 years ago, I was shooting at a coyote one real cold morning, and when I flipped the safety off, the rifle fired. I was wearing gloves that morning, and thought I had put my finger on the trigger unknowingly. To be sure, I took the rifle apart, cleaned the trigger with gas, blew it clean with air, put it back together, and tried to get it to accidently fire probably 50 times, and it would not. I have used this rifle a bunch since then with zero problems.

Now, fast forward until last week. Took it out to check the zero, and the first time I went to fire it, it went off as soon as the safety was released......but again as before, the weather was cold and I had on gloves, so I suspected a light trigger pull and the fact that arthritis makes my fingers not have a lot sensitivity. Again, I took it apart, cleaned it good, checked the pull, and tried to make it go off again a number of times, and it didn't. Took it hunting yesterday morning, and checked it again several times, by pointing it upward with a loaded chamber and taking the safety off............and it never fired.

This morning, I went coyote hunting again, and having no luck, decided to shoot a crow. It went off again prematurely, and again, I had on gloves which made me think......but, I knew I had not put pressure on the trigger. So, I tried it a second time, finger nowhere near the trigger, and the rifle fired when I took the safety off.

I've got a bunch of Remington rifles, several with the Walker trigger, and have never had a problem until now. I don't like the XMark-Pro trigger, and have replaced most of mine either with a Timney or put in a spring from Ernie the Gunsmith. On this particular rifle, I know the trigger isn't full of oil and grime, and I know it was adjusted properly. I am going to replace it......today. I'll toss the old one, which is apparently a Walker style, as it's not the newer ones. I don't trust it anymore..........period. I still like my Remington rifles, and would buy another one day with no qualms whatsoever. But, I will no longer defend their trigger issue, and it is a major issue, as I can now personally attest.

One word: TriggerTech....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There are 2 groups of sportsmen:
1. those who don't believe the Remington trigger has a problem. They've never had one fire.
2. those who have had one misbehave.

Those in group 1 will readily convert to group 2 when one of their rifles does misbehave.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I also own several Remington 700's and I have adjusted most of them with no problems. Until a couple of years ago. One of mine went off when I released the safety. It was pretty cold out but I was not wearing gloves. I'm pretty sure that I didn't touch the trigger. Mine was pretty dirty, as I had just returned from a hunting trip in Wyoming. It had a pretty good load of red dust in it, like everything else that I took on that trip!
Anyway, all of my 700's have Jewell triggers now.

lightman
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Post means nothing since you adjusted the trigger.

NRA Benefactor life member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I havea 6mm 700 ADL converted to BDL. Will leave it to my son but he is not the rifle loony I am so a new trigger is on my list.

Thinking Trigger Tech. Anyone recommend something else?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 12344mag

EXACTLY!! Rule Number ONE.

Have 5 Rem 700's none of which have the original trigger.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Remington 700s: The biggest POS hoax perpetrated to the shooting public in a century...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a model 700 Remington fired once when I took it off safe and another one when I closed the bolt. One time was too many to trust it. I replaced the trigger/ safety with a Timney. I have a model 660 that is in the recall as well. I sure ain't sending it to Remington for another of their s**t triggers. I need to replace it with a model 500 Timney.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,041
Posts18,482,043
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.