Home
No one on this site is as big a fan of Remington firearms as I am, and despite all the negative publicity, I've always had good luck out of them.............until this morning. I have a Remington Model 7 Predator that I bought new in either 2008 or 09, not sure just know it was as soon as I found out about them being introduced. It's always been one of my favorite rifles, it's in 223 and a very good shooter. When I got it, I adjusted the trigger to 3-3 1/2 pounds, and it's been very consistent........and yes, I adjusted it properly.

About 3 years ago, I was shooting at a coyote one real cold morning, and when I flipped the safety off, the rifle fired. I was wearing gloves that morning, and thought I had put my finger on the trigger unknowingly. To be sure, I took the rifle apart, cleaned the trigger with gas, blew it clean with air, put it back together, and tried to get it to accidently fire probably 50 times, and it would not. I have used this rifle a bunch since then with zero problems.

Now, fast forward until last week. Took it out to check the zero, and the first time I went to fire it, it went off as soon as the safety was released......but again as before, the weather was cold and I had on gloves, so I suspected a light trigger pull and the fact that arthritis makes my fingers not have a lot sensitivity. Again, I took it apart, cleaned it good, checked the pull, and tried to make it go off again a number of times, and it didn't. Took it hunting yesterday morning, and checked it again several times, by pointing it upward with a loaded chamber and taking the safety off............and it never fired.

This morning, I went coyote hunting again, and having no luck, decided to shoot a crow. It went off again prematurely, and again, I had on gloves which made me think......but, I knew I had not put pressure on the trigger. So, I tried it a second time, finger nowhere near the trigger, and the rifle fired when I took the safety off.

I've got a bunch of Remington rifles, several with the Walker trigger, and have never had a problem until now. I don't like the XMark-Pro trigger, and have replaced most of mine either with a Timney or put in a spring from Ernie the Gunsmith. On this particular rifle, I know the trigger isn't full of oil and grime, and I know it was adjusted properly. I am going to replace it......today. I'll toss the old one, which is apparently a Walker style, as it's not the newer ones. I don't trust it anymore..........period. I still like my Remington rifles, and would buy another one day with no qualms whatsoever. But, I will no longer defend their trigger issue, and it is a major issue, as I can now personally attest.
Great post. Thanks.
you adjusted it, so is it really Remington's fault?
If you keep the trigger I suggest a little creep (more sear engagement). All of my hunting rifles have some creep and I want them like that.
Jeez, you are a little slow on the uptake. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

I have never had a problem with a Remington trigger but I have never adjusted one either. I did put a Timney trigger on one and it has been good.
I had an out of the box 700 ADL 25-06 do that when I was walking back to the car and with the rifle pointed safely flicked the safety off to unload the rifle. My hunting partner in front of me almost had a heart attack. I thought at the time that I had actually touched the trigger when I had not. I bought that rifle in 1974.

If they were not problematic, Remington would never have changed the design and suffered thru numerous lawsuits. The design cannot be defended, it is a sheetmetal POS made on the cheap.

How is it that Sako,Tikka, Winchester, Ruger and a host of others never had this problem?
Should've let a gunsmith do it. Then it'd still be screwed up and also have KFC crumbs in it. And he'd have it for 15 months and charge you $200.
James, had this happen to me last year with my 722 in 257 Bob. Cleaned it all up and tested. Nothing since. So I am very sympathetic. I will be switching it out because this particular rifle will be going to my grandson when I'm gone. I am a fan of old Remingtons, especially rimfires. But when something needs fixed we should do it.
Originally Posted by TRnCO
you adjusted it, so is it really Remington's fault?

I have been adjusting Remington triggers, the screw for pull weight, on EVERY Remington 700 or 7 that I've owned, and that's been a bunch. Never had a problem until now. By the way, I never adjust a Remington trigger below 3 pounds, as I like mine in the 3-3 1/2 range for hunting.

I know people who have claimed they went off, and they never adjusted theirs, leaving them as they came from the factory. I was a doubter.........until now.
Here's how the Rem trigger lawsuits should've gone:

Rem lawyer: "Did you adjust the trigger either yourself or have someone do it for you?"

Plaintiff: "Yes".

Judge: "Case Dismissed"
Precisely why you don't rely on an empty gun or a safety, If you rely on muzzle control nobody gets hurt when everything else goes wrong.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Precisely why you don't rely on an empty gun or a safety, If you rely on muzzle control nobody gets hurt when everything else goes wrong.

This^^^^. Perhaps James could make that dumbass Rollin Blunder a good deal on that rifle.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
No one on this site is as big a fan of Remington firearms as I am, and despite all the negative publicity, I've always had good luck out of them.............until this morning. I have a Remington Model 7 Predator that I bought new in either 2008 or 09, not sure just know it was as soon as I found out about them being introduced. It's always been one of my favorite rifles, it's in 223 and a very good shooter. When I got it, I adjusted the trigger to 3-3 1/2 pounds, and it's been very consistent........and yes, I adjusted it properly.

About 3 years ago, I was shooting at a coyote one real cold morning, and when I flipped the safety off, the rifle fired. I was wearing gloves that morning, and thought I had put my finger on the trigger unknowingly. To be sure, I took the rifle apart, cleaned the trigger with gas, blew it clean with air, put it back together, and tried to get it to accidently fire probably 50 times, and it would not. I have used this rifle a bunch since then with zero problems.

Now, fast forward until last week. Took it out to check the zero, and the first time I went to fire it, it went off as soon as the safety was released......but again as before, the weather was cold and I had on gloves, so I suspected a light trigger pull and the fact that arthritis makes my fingers not have a lot sensitivity. Again, I took it apart, cleaned it good, checked the pull, and tried to make it go off again a number of times, and it didn't. Took it hunting yesterday morning, and checked it again several times, by pointing it upward with a loaded chamber and taking the safety off............and it never fired.

This morning, I went coyote hunting again, and having no luck, decided to shoot a crow. It went off again prematurely, and again, I had on gloves which made me think......but, I knew I had not put pressure on the trigger. So, I tried it a second time, finger nowhere near the trigger, and the rifle fired when I took the safety off.

I've got a bunch of Remington rifles, several with the Walker trigger, and have never had a problem until now. I don't like the XMark-Pro trigger, and have replaced most of mine either with a Timney or put in a spring from Ernie the Gunsmith. On this particular rifle, I know the trigger isn't full of oil and grime, and I know it was adjusted properly. I am going to replace it......today. I'll toss the old one, which is apparently a Walker style, as it's not the newer ones. I don't trust it anymore..........period. I still like my Remington rifles, and would buy another one day with no qualms whatsoever. But, I will no longer defend their trigger issue, and it is a major issue, as I can now personally attest.

One word: TriggerTech....
There are 2 groups of sportsmen:
1. those who don't believe the Remington trigger has a problem. They've never had one fire.
2. those who have had one misbehave.

Those in group 1 will readily convert to group 2 when one of their rifles does misbehave.
I also own several Remington 700's and I have adjusted most of them with no problems. Until a couple of years ago. One of mine went off when I released the safety. It was pretty cold out but I was not wearing gloves. I'm pretty sure that I didn't touch the trigger. Mine was pretty dirty, as I had just returned from a hunting trip in Wyoming. It had a pretty good load of red dust in it, like everything else that I took on that trip!
Anyway, all of my 700's have Jewell triggers now.
Post means nothing since you adjusted the trigger.
I havea 6mm 700 ADL converted to BDL. Will leave it to my son but he is not the rifle loony I am so a new trigger is on my list.

Thinking Trigger Tech. Anyone recommend something else?

EXACTLY!! Rule Number ONE.

Have 5 Rem 700's none of which have the original trigger.
Remington 700s: The biggest POS hoax perpetrated to the shooting public in a century...
I had a model 700 Remington fired once when I took it off safe and another one when I closed the bolt. One time was too many to trust it. I replaced the trigger/ safety with a Timney. I have a model 660 that is in the recall as well. I sure ain't sending it to Remington for another of their s**t triggers. I need to replace it with a model 500 Timney.
It doesn't matter if you are a Remington fan or not, a box aka enclosed trigger, is an accident waiting to happen in cold weather. You will not find a box trigger on any military rifle I know off. I have experienced the same with a 700 as you. Cost me a coyote and a 5 point bull elk. Moisture can enter the trigger housing and freeze. I sold my last 700 to a guy and the trigger froze up on him in elk camp. In contrast I was in heavy weather hunting elk with my pre 64 model 70 and the entire action was covered in a 1/4" of ice and I could not open the bolt without beating on it. But the trigger worked as this model has an improved military trigger. When I pulled the trigger on that old 375 the ice shower was impressive.

One of the biggest problems, is when gunk gets in the trigger housing. Take it off, spray the hell out of it with brake cleaner, and then carefully follow the steps to readjust the trigger. I have had no issues doing this. I had a trigger fail, also, but the de-gunking cured it. It is very critical to adjust it correctly, too.
Originally Posted by kenjs1
I havea 6mm 700 ADL converted to BDL. Will leave it to my son but he is not the rifle loony I am so a new trigger is on my list.

Have had good luck with Jewell but a bit pricey.
Rifle Basix?
I only have one Remington 700, it's the "compact tactical rifle" model of the "extreme condition rifle" in .223. When all the geehow started about the triggers I contacted Remington and they said they'd send me a box to ship it back in. Six weeks later the box arrived. I figured if it took them six weeks to get a box to me, I might never see my rifle again. I put a Timney trigger in it and lived happily ever after.
Why even build an adjustable trigger if you can't adjust it without creating a dangerous situation? That's bad enough. Throw in the out-of-box failures and you have a magnificent NO GO.
"cleaned the trigger with gas"

Gasoline? I thought trigger mechanisms required a little lubrication.
I second the motion of Trigger Tech. Best trigger going and they are priced right as well.
I have two questions.

Is the factory trigger in current production Remington rifles known to have the misfires?

Are there instances of misfires in triggers that have not been adjusted?
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I'm interested in the answers to Paul's questions, especially the second one.
Originally Posted by headhunter130

I'm a Remington fan myself. As of last few tears I have bought mostly Winchester 70s and have grown to like them more than anything else. Why doesn't anyone ever hear about a Winchester 70 trigger releasing the sear when taking off of safety after it has been adjusted by the owners like one constantly hears about the Remingtons? If adjusting the spring tension screw to a safe pull weight of 3-3 1/2 lbs and not the over travel or sear engagement screw, what difference should it make in all reality? If the trigger is only safe with a 6-7 lb pull weight, it's not really safe from the factory anyway.
Originally Posted by victoro

Don't oil a Remington trigger because of gummy residue after the old mineral based oils dry. Probably safer with newer synthetic oils, but lighter fluid has been the go to cleaning solvent for Remington triggers for a while.
The Remington issue has been out there for years. Anyone still running a older Remington Walker style trigger is foolish. There are countless aftermarket solutions. Anyone having one go off on them multiple times without a complete trigger change out is a really slow learner and damned lucky no one got hurt.

Yes, I bought a 660 350 mag from a neighbor. He pulled it out of his gun cabinet to show me worked the bolt, put the safety on, and the trigger released when he put the safety to fire. He contacted Remington and they gave him a shipping label to a repair center. He had Remington fix the trigger before he sold it to me.
1. those who don't believe the Remington trigger has a problem. They've never had one improperly fire.

Those in group 1 will readily convert to group 2 when one of their rifles does misbehave.
Thanks, JamesJr, for the PSA. I've never had an issue with a Remington trigger but I think going forward I'm just going to switch 'em out, period. No reason to take a chance. I prefer Timney and Trigger Tech anyways.
I have two questions.

Is the factory trigger in current production Remington rifles known to have the misfires?

Can’t answer the first.

As to the second, yes.
Having owned 50+ rifles w/the Walker trigger, I know this is BS. IF repeat IF the guts of the trigger are kept clean, rust free and properly lubed there are no problems. It's a crappy trigger to use around salt water. Many of the "new" triggers are needlessly complex, like the Walker but will work IF MAINTAINED. Even "Winchester" dropped the single stage best trigger ever in favor for a complicated POS. The best ever and safest triggers ever are those in National Match 03s and M-1s. 2 stages make them safe and they are easily tuned to break like a glass rod. As with any mechanical device the more complex the more attention is required.
Originally Posted by 3040HighWall
Having owned 50+ rifles w/the Walker trigger, I know this is BS.
Until it happens to you...

Originally Posted by ChuckKY

I'm a Remington fan myself. As of last few tears I have bought mostly Winchester 70s and have grown to like them more than anything else. Why doesn't anyone ever hear about a Winchester 70 trigger releasing the sear when taking off of safety after it has been adjusted by the owners like one constantly hears about the Remingtons?
Totally different safety function - the M70 retracts the firing pin, unlike the Remington designs which do not..
Originally Posted by victoro

Don't oil a Remington trigger because of gummy residue after the old mineral based oils dry. Probably safer with newer synthetic oils, but lighter fluid has been the go to cleaning solvent for Remington triggers for a while.

A friend of mine who has several Rem 700's he uses for target shooting uses charcoal lighter to clean his Rem 700 triggers and blows them out with air. That's what the old gunsmith who built his rifles told said to use because it leaves a little bit of oil when it evaporates.
I have several Rem 700s and have never had an issue so far but I don't doubt those who have. I have had a few adjusted by a gunsmith that I trust and have lightened the pull on a few myself. Someone on this forum recommended cleaning with lighter fluid. That's what I use, it leaves a slight film I imagine.

Can they fire when loading the chamber with the safety off? I wouldn't think so.
I've had good luck with Timney, never an issue.

I was in a gunsmith shop once and witnessed a 1911 go full auto. Full magazine, from the bullet trap, to the walls, and finishing with holes in the ceiling.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
1. those who don't believe the Remington trigger has a problem. They've never had one improperly fire.

I'm betting that there are those in group 1 who still won't ADMIT to converting to group 2 even after experiencing misbehavior.
had it happen more than once on 700 adl that the trigger had never been messed with.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Remington 700s: The biggest POS hoax perpetrated to the shooting public in a century...

Couldn't agree more- repeated incidents like the above are precisely why there is not a single Remington in my gun safes.

Stuff like this doesn't happen to our Weatherbys.........
I have a number of Remington 700's, and have adjusted the triggers on most of them to around 3 lbs. I've never had a problem with a discharge when the safety is released. Nevertheless, I am starting to replace them with Timneys. The risk seems to be low but it appears to be there.
Originally Posted by 163bc
The Remington issue has been out there for years. Anyone still running a older Remington Walker style trigger is foolish. There are countless aftermarket solutions. Anyone having one go off on them multiple times without a complete trigger change out is a really slow learner and damned lucky no one got hurt.

They are "lucky" they weren't pointing their rifle at anyone when it went off accidentally? Just out of curiosity, what percentage of time are your rifles pointing at people?
I have 8 to 10 Remington 700’s. I guess I need to start working on changing them to Timneys. The videos on u tube make it look easy.
If adjusted properly they are excellent triggers.
Originally Posted by Redneck
Having owned 50+ rifles w/the Walker trigger, I know this is BS.
Until it happens to you...

I'm a Remington fan myself. As of last few tears I have bought mostly Winchester 70s and have grown to like them more than anything else. Why doesn't anyone ever hear about a Winchester 70 trigger releasing the sear when taking off of safety after it has been adjusted by the owners like one constantly hears about the Remingtons?
Totally different safety function - the M70 retracts the firing pin, unlike the Remington designs which do not..

Redneck, are the TriggerTech triggers a simple unscrew the old trigger and replace with the new trigger type conversion. I've got three Remingtons and have never had a problem with the triggers. Adjusted all of them to around 2 1/2 - 3 lbs nearly 25-30 years ago, but religiously clean them with lighter fluid when I clean the guns. I'm getting to the point I think I will change them out before something does happen. I didn't put much credence in all of this for a long time, but I am getting more nervous about it all the time. Maybe something to do with getting older, I think sometimes I may have used most of my good luck up on simple things. My luck doesn't always run as good as James does. I'd hate to shoot my new truck or worse.

WHOA! Bigger than Leupold? That's serious!
Mine was working fine, but I trashed it for a Timney years ago. It's a better trigger and I trust it not to go bang until I'm ready.
My Remington 700 BDL was mfg in 1998 and I had a good gunsmith adjust the trigger to 3 lbs - does it fall into the 'risk category'?? I haven't had a problem, even on cold mornings....yet.
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

I'm interested in the answers to Paul's questions, especially the second one.

Absolutely. I know of two that have never had any fiddling with trigger adjustments.
One went off when he took the safety off to shoot a deer, and the other went off when he went to unload it before leaving his stand.
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
My Remington 700 BDL was mfg in 1998 and I had a good gunsmith adjust the trigger to 3 lbs - does it fall into the 'risk category'?? I haven't had a problem, even on cold mornings....yet.
And "yet" is THE operative word... smile smile
Originally Posted by DougD

EXACTLY!! Rule Number ONE.

Have 5 Rem 700's none of which have the original trigger.

Belt and suspenders!

You cannot tell me muzzle control will NEVER fail. It does. Sometimes through no fault of the nut behind the trigger.

And that is the reason for an empty chamber if a hot one is not absolutely mandatory, or highly advisable at thee time.

And here we go again......

I have a 725 and a 700, both with original triggers and never a problem over the last 45 years. But trigger replacement is on my list of to-dos also.

Belt, suspenders, and one hand holding it up.....
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
And "yet" is THE operative word... smile smile

Hey!! I'll take that as to put a new trigger on my to-do list, thank you.
Originally Posted by DougD

Have had good luck with Jewell but a bit pricey.
Rifle Basix?

Have both. The Jewell feels a lot better than the Rifle Basix, although both feel better than the factory trigger.
Because the Rifle Basix replacement trigger uses the rifle’s current factory safety switch, do the old switches that have a bolt lock down tab work as originally designed? CP.
Hey, it hasnt happened to me and I havent seen it so I think its BS. I've seen ever thing. crazy
Why even put an adjustment feature on them....
Then turn around and say it went bang cause you or a " gunsmith" adjusted it.

That argument holds no water.

Do they say how to adjust them in the owners manual ????

If so, then it is oxymoronical for Remington to make an adjustable trigger, put it the owners manual how to do it.
Then blame the user for doing it if that is the case.

I have seen their M40 sniper rifles discharge closing the bolt chambering a round several times.

Originally Posted by renegade50

Do they say how to adjust them in the owners manual

If so, then it is oxymoronical for Remington to make an adjustable trigger, put it the owners manual how to do it.

I have seen their M40 sniper rifles discharge closing the bolt chambering a round several times.

"oxymoronical"
That's an awful big word for a guy to use from KY or Tenn.
None of my Remington rifles have retained their OEM triggers. They are either Jewell or Timney., never an issue with those.

Do they say how to adjust them in the owners manual

"oxymoronical"
That's an awful big word for a guy to use from KY or Tenn.

I'm a transplanted yankee...
Graduated "High" Skoul.
Yep, junk. Won't own one. Rather
have a Savage or damn near anything else.
Glad no one was hurt...

I had one I bought new in 79... it went off once on it's own... had a gunsmith look at it...didn't go off on its own for a long time...

the second time it did, I sent it to Remington and got it back like 6 months later...

didn't go off on its own until a long time later...that one was when I slung the rifle sling on over my shoulder... a 220 gr RN hit the ground as I was taught to have the muzzle pointing at the ground by my dad.. a pilot...it missed my right heal by a couple of inches... I never have carried it that way ever again...

it didn't go off again after being sent to Remington again...it an ADL in 06.... I was out hunting with a coworker,. for elk.. and I loaned him that rifle..
When we were going home... he was unloading it by cycling the bolt... that one went off again.. this time shooting a brand new Chevy 3500 4WD, with a custom paint job to match the 5th wheel... put a 220 grain thru the side of both sides of the box on it...

That was only 3 times in 25 years...but this time when I took it to a gunsmith, he put a Timney in it... and its had no bolt issues since..

The last time it screwed up was a year or two ago....go to extract a live round in the chamber.. and the bolt handle came right off in my hand...
took that to a gunsmith, who got the bolt out ant he live round...for a comfortable price for himself...

That bolt handle went to Redneck... who pinned it with two screws.. so that should eliminate that problem from ever happening...

I don't blame it on the design as much as I wonder about poor Q.C.....
After changing the trigger, fix yo bolt handle too!

Damn things are dangerous and falling apart.

LOL.
Originally Posted by ironbender

LOL.

I wonder if the trigger problems can be traced to cleaning them with ethanol blended gas. smile
If you have any Remington bolt rifle other than the 788 made prior to October 2007 with the factory trigger it isn't a matter of if, but when it does this. Every single one of them is a ticking time bomb. If the trigger connector just happens to position its self in the wrong spot the gun will discharge with no trigger pull. If your's hasn't done it yet it will given enough time and use.

Any trigger improperly adjusted or filthy could do this, but the Remington trigger has proven repeatedly that it will do so regardless. It was proven on the factory assembly line in 1946 and thousands of times since.

MIne is a 1974 production rifle bought new in 1975. The factory trigger was never modified and kept clean. I 1st heard of these issues in the 1970's and considered them BS too. Until sometime in the 1990's when mine did this. I forgot about the issue until the 2nd time in 2014. By then I'd pretty much retired the rifle from use, but after the 2nd incident in 40 years decided to put a Timney in it before one of the grandkids get it one day.
I wonder if the trigger problems can be traced to cleaning them with ethanol blended gas. smile

The problem has been well known since 1946. The designer used a floating steel bar inside the trigger called a trigger connector. It's supposed to slide up and down inside the trigger assembly as the trigger is pulled to improve the trigger pull. The problem is that it is free to move at any time as the gun is handled. The odds are literally one in a million, but if it does happen to come to a rest in the right spot it disengages the sear. At that point the safety is the only thing holding back the trigger.

It doesn't matter if the trigger is adjusted to 5-6 lbs or how clean the trigger is when this happens. The guns designer found the flaw in 1946 and recommended a redesigned trigger without the connector in both 1946 and again in 1948. That design didn't go into production until October 2007.
I for one have never had the itch to adjust the trigger on my model 700.

It's a BDL and it is chambered in the lowly .270 Win.

That said after being stored before going to shoot it gets taken apart and cleaned.

I use no oil products in the trigger group because where i live the dust blows so bad at times that it would just collect there.

Also i have not had the bolt handle fall off,it's been since 1977.

Maybe i am just a lucky SOB. whistle
The factory spring ( the short one ) has minimal adjustment range. Think many make them too light and get by with it for a while.

Have always changed mine out to longer, one of lesser wire dia.....it has a safer and longer adjustment.

But wtf do I know. Maybe a dozen rigs. Never a problem after doing that. 28 oz and bang the fugg out of it, still safe.

Of course I bought two rifles where prev owners adjusted them w factory springs to unsafe. One too light, the other I dunno what that fugstick thought.

Lucky I bought em and made em right. On a shelf at a shop, somebody else might have gotten them and into trouble.

Have actually watched folks set off light triggers and swear they didnt have fingers on the trigger.......and they did.

Off the trigger face doesnt mean off the trigger and off the trigger doesnt mean out of the trigger guard. But too damn many think it does.

Traded my last Rem700 for a Savage.
Someone asked, "how is it that Sako, Tikka, Winchester, Ruger, and a host of others, have never had this problem. The short answer is, they have. I have seen the same thing happen on Sakos, Winchesters, Weatherbys, Shulz&Larsen, Ruger 77 (tang safety), Savage, Parker Hale, Mossberg.
Some Remington triggers are dimensionally flawed from the factory and these have problems. Others are borderline and after some use will develope problems. The problem is, ultimately due to the safety lever and the dimensions threof and not due to the use of the sear connector in the design. Many people are trumpeting the virtues of the Trigger Tech trigger yet, interestingly enough, it has a sear connector; although they call it something else. GD
I guess I'm one that will be a believer until I'm not. LOL. But not many Remington light rifles left in the safe(s).
Originally Posted by 5sdad

LOL.

USE SEAFOAM!!!
(and a good ground)
smile
This is what I know..........I know there are people who have adjusted a Model 700 or 7 trigger, who did not know what they were doing, and I know that there are those who believe that a well oiled trigger is better, because it's going to make it "smoother." I know there are people who believe the only way a Remington will go off by itself when the safety is released is because the either the trigger was improperly adjusted, or the trigger was all dirty and a piece of gunk had caused it......I know this, because I was once in that group. I know that on my rifle, the trigger was properly adjusted, and it was clean and not "gunked" up.

I believe this...........a 100 years from now, if we're allowed to own guns, there will be Remington rifles that are still being used and have never had an issue with the trigger. I believe that because I don't believe that every Remington trigger is junk and is destined to fail at some point in time. Take two cars, that come off the assembly line back to back.......made identical. One of them may turn out to be a lemon, and the other may still running like a sewing machine 20 years later. Manmade things are like that, and that's how I see the triggers on the 700's and 7's. But, I also believe now, thankfully before a bad accident happened, that it is impossible to know which triggers will not fail.....and that is a chance I am unwilling to take.

I replaced mine today with a Timney, and bought another one to replace my son's Model 700 with. I have replaced the triggers on a number of my 700's and 7's because I do not like the XMark-Pro trigger. I believe I still have a couple of Walker triggers left, and they will be replaced.
James, which Timney did you get and from where? Is it adjustable or not? Since viewing this thread, I've been looking at replacements and was leaning toward the Trigger Tech.
Originally Posted by 5sdad

LOL.

USE SEAFOAM!!!
(and a good ground)
smile

Sound advice! wink
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
James, which Timney did you get and from where? Is it adjustable or not? Since viewing this thread, I've been looking at replacements and was leaning toward the Trigger Tech.

I got the Elite Hunter for the 700, and it will adjust, at least the ones I've bought before did. The one for the Model 7 is their only offering for that model. It broke at 3 pounds out of the box. The only drawback is that you have to take off some of the stock and trigger guard in order to make it fit.

I really wanted to try the Basix trigger, but they are very confusing as to what they will and will not fit on the Remingtons. I may give a Triggertech a try the next time.
Originally Posted by greydog
The short answer is, they have.

No they haven't. While there is little doubt all these rifles have had ADs. they are not even in the same universe as 700s. Then of course there's that flimsy, sheet metal extractor prone to breakage when dirty, the err brazed on bolt handle and my personal favorite, a non bolt locking safety. Ask yourself this question, there is an ENTIRE cottage industry dedicated to making 700s safer and better...
With the exception of one Walker trigger work over by our dearly departed Malm, every Remington I own wears a Triggertech Primary; love them!!
I have two questions.

The answer to question #2 is yes. I have a 700 BDL bought new in 1977 that had one of these misfires a few years later. It now has a Timney.
Uhhhhh

I don't believe I would ever hunt with someone if,...in their Captain Black cherry, pipe smoking conversations they boasted...."yep, my 700 has only had 3 accidental discharges in 20 years"

fuuuuuuuuuuuug you crazy crazy crazy

first two times I thought it just s fluke, then almost shot my foot off, barely missed my dad, shot a hole in the Scottsdale.

My GAWD people

Originally Posted by slumlord
Uhhhhh

I don't believe I would ever hunt with someone if,...in their Captain Black cherry, pipe smoking conversations they boasted...."yep, my 700 has only had 3 accidental discharges in 20 years"

fuuuuuuuuuuuug you

I agree.
Fuggin walmart guns

laugh
Fuggin walmart guns

laugh

Maybe the Walmart Remingtons had triggers that were made first thing on Monday morning, or the last thing on Friday afternoon.
He done shot a hole in the Scottsdale!
That’s some funny schiet Slumlord
I'm reminded why I usually hunt alone. haha

No they haven't. While there is little doubt all these rifles have had ADs. they are not even in the same universe as 700s. Then of course there's that flimsy, sheet metal extractor prone to breakage when dirty, the err brazed on bolt handle and my personal favorite, a non bolt locking safety. Ask yourself this question, there is an ENTIRE cottage industry dedicated to making 700s safer and better...

While they may not have been sued and the issue maybe less common it certainly is a problem with any enclosed trigger. Believe it or not I’ve seen plenty of triggers on your cherished MKVs that were unsafe due to being full of dust, gunked up with oil and grease, and my favorite of all corroded up with white chalky crustaceans from the pot metal housing degrading. Of course they probably haven’t built 1/100th the number of MKVs as Remington built 600,660,721,721,725,700, and 7s.

It happens to enclosed triggers, all of them.

I will say that in a decade of gunsmithing I saw more unsafe Model 70 triggers than any other brand. Put everything out in the open and suddenly everyone is a gunsmith and you just keep cranking those nuts off until she’s nice and light.

Bottom line is to do the best you can to keep it from happening by keeping it clean and degreased. Replace it if you wish to and keep the damn thing pointed in a safe direction. Man made stuff fails and can kill you if you’re not paying attention, guns, cars, tools, just about everything.
Originally Posted by TheKid

While they may not have been sued and the issue maybe less common it certainly is a problem with any enclosed trigger. Believe it or not I’ve seen plenty of triggers on your cherished MKVs that were unsafe due to being full of dust, gunked up with oil and grease, and my favorite of all corroded up with white chalky crustaceans from the pot metal housing degrading. Of course they probably haven’t built 1/100th the number of MKVs as Remington built 600,660,721,721,725,700, and 7s.

It happens to enclosed triggers, all of them.

I will say that in a decade of gunsmithing I saw more unsafe Model 70 triggers than any other brand. Put everything out in the open and suddenly everyone is a gunsmith and you just keep cranking those nuts off until she’s nice and light.

Bottom line is to do the best you can to keep it from happening by keeping it clean and degreased. Replace it if you wish to and keep the damn thing pointed in a safe direction. Man made stuff fails and can kill you if you’re not paying attention, guns, cars, tools, just about everything.

This^ & more of this^. A bonafied gunsmith working in a location where guns see some of the most adverse conditions on the planet. Where else can you look??
Any freakin thing man made= not if it will fail, but when.
Kinda like farmers only dot com............. some folks just don't get it.
1. those who don't believe the Remington trigger has a problem. They've never had one fire.

This bears repeating. I had it happen repeatedly to a 700 with a walker (unloaded while function testing) I replaced it with a Timney and will not own one with a Walker trigger. Mine locked the bolt down so you had to disengage the safety to load and unload.

Unload the rifle (triple check). Apply safety and bang the recoil pad against a carpeted floor a few times and disengage the safety. I got a click several times doing that.
Not against Remingtons - they just don't enter my world, for whatever reason. But, I've seen the trigger issue manifest itself before.
Reminds me - I need to have our son replace the trigger in the Remington 600 I bought him ~ 25 years ago - BEFORE he has an issue!
Do rem 788s have the same style triggers?
if using the safety causes an A/D, unless the system is kept exceptionally clean, there is a serious problem
Originally Posted by K1500

This bears repeating. I had it happen repeatedly to a 700 with a walker (unloaded while function testing) I replaced it with a Timney and will not own one with a Walker trigger. Mine locked the bolt down so you had to disengage the safety to load and unload.

Unload the rifle (triple check). Apply safety and bang the recoil pad against a carpeted floor a few times and disengage the safety. I got a click several times doing that.

Dayom scary

Well, there is that.
My experience involved an unloaded weapon. Nearly new, very few rounds fired, unaltered from the factory.

Released the pin upon moving safety to fire several times in a row in fairly quick succession. Removed stock, cleaned and dried trigger, it worked fine. Couldn’t get it to repeat the failure. It looked spotless before cleaning though.

I’ll never trust or use the safety on a 700.

I have shot literally tens (and tens, and TENS) of thousands of rounds from handguns,rifles, and shotguns. Probably a low estimate.

Many of those rounds, from Remington 700's with legacy, and X-Mark triggers, some adjusted, some not. Also many thousand of rounds from other brands, including crappy imports and military surplus pieces of chit SKS's and the like in my youth.

In my life I have cannot recall EVER having a negligent discharge, nor an unintentional discharge from any of my firearms, EVER.

The only time I have ever heard a boom, is when I pulled a trigger.

Must be lucky.
I have two 700s that I have been shooting for over thirty years. I've never had any issues with either trigger but I keep hearing all these horror stories about the Walker trigger. About a year ago I installed Trigger Tech triggers in both rifles just so I can sleep better at night.

I also watched that CBS story on Remington and they had John Walker himself the guy that designed the 700 saying in his own words that the trigger is defective. I did not notice anybody holding a gun to his head.

Finally for good measure I had Redneck here on the Fire resecure the bolt handles on both rifles. Yes I am paranoid.
What about Shilen triggers?
The Shilen is a good unit. It’s still an enclosed box and prone to having issues during freezing wet weather, extremely dusty conditions, or when oil and grease inside get dried out and shellacked up. But it does lack the floating connector that the Walker had.
Can't remember the last time I actually used a safety on any of my Remingtons.
Well I have not had an issue with mine, I was only the second owner as far as I know and I do not know if it was untouched, but I did adjust it and during my early testing after adjustment I actually chipped the buttstock trying to see if it would go off, never did, and to this day no issue, I played all night trying it and could not get it to fail, I do keep it clean, and dry in trigger area, it was an ADL stock in 25/06 which I eventually put a synthetic stock on.
But as was said I will always use safe handling procedures and not trust any safety 100%
I had heard all of this for years and it never happened to me...until it did. At least mine was unloaded. Timney was about 12 miles from my house so I did the smart thing.
I had it happen on a Savage tactical 25-06.
Originally Posted by IMR4350
I have two 700s that I have been shooting for over thirty years. I've never had any issues with either trigger but I keep hearing all these horror stories about the Walker trigger. About a year ago I installed Trigger Tech triggers in both rifles just so I can sleep better at night.

I also watched that CBS story on Remington and they had John Walker himself the guy that designed the 700 saying in his own words that the trigger is defective. I did not notice anybody holding a gun to his head.

Finally for good measure I had Redneck here on the Fire resecure the bolt handles on both rifles. Yes I am paranoid.

I have a Model 700 that I bought new in 1979, and for 25 years it was my only deer rifle. It's been fired countless times, and never once an issue. The trigger pull on it was adjusted, and the rifle has been kept clean. It's been a safe queen for quite a few years now, but if I was going to start shooting it again, I would replace the trigger.

I am now paranoid too about the trigger thing too.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I had an out of the box

How is it that Sako,Tikka, Winchester, Ruger and a host of others never had this problem?

They never sold as many rifles.
I once had a Weatherby/Howa that would fire if sometimes if it was on its side and the safety pushed. I was not so much into working on guns then and took it to a Smith and then traded it off for a 700......
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

Yes, I bought a 660 350 mag from a neighbor. He pulled it out of his gun cabinet to show me worked the bolt, put the safety on, and the trigger released when he put the safety to fire. He contacted Remington and they gave him a shipping label to a repair center. He had Remington fix the trigger before he sold it to me.

the 660 had a recall on it by remington. when i got mine, a timney was used. also the bedding compound had glued the barrel to the wood and it was a pain in the azz to separate, that was replaced, along with a new limbsaver kick pad, and a metal trigger housing.
Can't remember the last time I actually used a safety on any of my Remingtons.

i was sitting here reading the comments, and the above is probably what has saved my azz.
i probably have a half dozen or more remingtons, and have neve used a safety, or carried on a loaded chamber.
Honestly, the malfunction, which has nothing at all to do with the presence of a sear connector, is easy to diagnose, easy to anticipate, easy to correct.
The Shilen trigger is, essentially, a Remington without the sear connector. It is a good trigger but some are difficult to make creep free without some honing. GD
Keep em clean and you'll have no problems. So simple and like the Leupold lies impossible to get across to haters.

If you can' shoot with a 3 lb trigger, you need training.

Read and learn:

Adjusting a Remington 700 trigger is quite simple. Be careful as too light a trigger pull can be quite dangerous. Do not adjust a 700 trigger so low that it will go off when you do not intend it to. Remember, you do not have as much control with gloves on. After adjusting a trigger, you want to slam the but of the rifle down on the ground several times while c0cked with the safety off (and no round in the chamber) to make sure that the trigger the sear will not release, allowing the pin to fall and set off a round. Most will want a trigger to be three pounds or more for safety.

Now if you've still decided to tackle adjusting your 700 trigger here is how you do it. Check to make sure the chamber is empty before anything else. You'll want to gather some penetrating oil, an Allen wrench set, precision screwdriver, and Elmer's glue. I also recommend a trigger scale to make things as accurate and safe as possible.

First thing, remove your barreled action from the stock. Use a 5/32" Allen/hex wrench. Remove the front screw three-fourths of the way. Then remove the rear screw all the way. Make sure you remember that the long screw goes in the tang area, and the short one goes in front of the receiver.

After the barreled action is out, use a penetrating oil to soak the three trigger screws. If the trigger has never been touched before, there will be a sealant on the screws. Simply scrape it off before applying the oil. Let the oil soak 10 minutes or so. You'll then want to turn the screws in and out three or four times so that you make sure there is no binding.

You will then want to back out all three trigger screws two or three turns, careful not to back them out so far the springs fall out of place. You simply want to take the tension off the internal springs. You will then work the bolt. Slowly start turning the sear engagement screw, located on the back side of the trigger, in until the sear releases and the firing pin drops. Back it out exactly one half a turn.

Next, the over-travel will need adjusted. This screw is located on the top front of the trigger above the pull-weight screw. Do not rec0ck the rifle. You will want to turn it inward until you feel resistance. When properly adjusted, the slop will be taken out of the trigger and it will move back and forth very little. Do not over tighten. Though the travel will be reduced, the pull weight will not be able to be adjusted. If not turned in enough, the pull can be adjusted lighter, but it will be very sloppy and unpredictable.

You are now ready to rec0ck the gun. Use the trigger scale and see how heavy the weight is and if its to your liking. If not you will have to adjust the pull-weight screw, below the over-travel screw. Inward increases the weight and outward lightens it. Trial and error will get it to the point that is to your liking. As soon as its to your liking, you will want to try it approximately 20 times. Work the bolt quickly as if you were going to in the field. This will show you if the sear will accidentally release or not. This could be disastrous. You'll want to make sure the pull-weight is consistent and without slop or excessive over/under-travel. You'll shoot better groups with a 3 lb trigger that is consistent rather than a 1 lb trigger that isn't.

After you are convinced everything is set where it should be, take the Elmer's glue and put a few drops over the screws. I use Elmer's because it will stop them from creeping out of adjustment over time but will be easy to remove if you so wish to change your weight for a different application later on. Finger nail polish and lock-tight compounds are more difficult to remove, but effective. Allow the glue to dry fifteen minutes.

You'll then want to put the thing back together. Slide the barreled action back into the stock. Put in the front (short) screw first and turn in half way. Then put in the tang screw and turn in all the way tightly. Then turn the front screw the rest of the way. If you have an HS stock, you'll want to put them in 65 in-lbs. If you have a wooden stock, many have different ideas on how tight to turn them, but that is not a discussion for here and now. After all is tight, check the trigger pull for safety against ADs. I slam the butt stock of the c0cked rifle down on the floor 10 times or so to make sure it won't go off.
Keep em clean and you'll have no problems. So simple and like the Leupold lies impossible to get across to haters.

Read and learn:

Adjusting a Remington 700 trigger is quite simple. Be careful as too light a trigger pull can be quite dangerous. Do not adjust a 700 trigger so low that it will go off when you do not intend it to. Remember, you do not have as much control with gloves on. After adjusting a trigger, you want to slam the but of the rifle down on the ground several times while c0cked with the safety off (and no round in the chamber) to make sure that the trigger the sear will not release, allowing the pin to fall and set off a round. Most will want a trigger to be three pounds or more for safety.

Now if you've still decided to tackle adjusting your 700 trigger here is how you do it. Check to make sure the chamber is empty before anything else. You'll want to gather some penetrating oil, an Allen wrench set, precision screwdriver, and Elmer's glue. I also recommend a trigger scale to make things as accurate and safe as possible.

First thing, remove your barreled action from the stock. Use a 5/32" Allen/hex wrench. Remove the front screw three-fourths of the way. Then remove the rear screw all the way. Make sure you remember that the long screw goes in the tang area, and the short one goes in front of the receiver.

After the barreled action is out, use a penetrating oil to soak the three trigger screws. If the trigger has never been touched before, there will be a sealant on the screws. Simply scrape it off before applying the oil. Let the oil soak 10 minutes or so. You'll then want to turn the screws in and out three or four times so that you make sure there is no binding.

You will then want to back out all three trigger screws two or three turns, careful not to back them out so far the springs fall out of place. You simply want to take the tension off the internal springs. You will then work the bolt. Slowly start turning the sear engagement screw, located on the back side of the trigger, in until the sear releases and the firing pin drops. Back it out exactly one half a turn.

Next, the over-travel will need adjusted. This screw is located on the top front of the trigger above the pull-weight screw. Do not rec0ck the rifle. You will want to turn it inward until you feel resistance. When properly adjusted, the slop will be taken out of the trigger and it will move back and forth very little. Do not over tighten. Though the travel will be reduced, the pull weight will not be able to be adjusted. If not turned in enough, the pull can be adjusted lighter, but it will be very sloppy and unpredictable.

You are now ready to rec0ck the gun. Use the trigger scale and see how heavy the weight is and if its to your liking. If not you will have to adjust the pull-weight screw, below the over-travel screw. Inward increases the weight and outward lightens it. Trial and error will get it to the point that is to your liking. As soon as its to your liking, you will want to try it approximately 20 times. Work the bolt quickly as if you were going to in the field. This will show you if the sear will accidentally release or not. This could be disastrous. You'll want to make sure the pull-weight is consistent and without slop or excessive over/under-travel. You'll shoot better groups with a 3 lb trigger that is consistent rather than a 1 lb trigger that isn't.

After you are convinced everything is set where it should be, take the Elmer's glue and put a few drops over the screws. I use Elmer's because it will stop them from creeping out of adjustment over time but will be easy to remove if you so wish to change your weight for a different application later on. Finger nail polish and lock-tight compounds are more difficult to remove, but effective. Allow the glue to dry fifteen minutes.

You'll then want to put the thing back together. Slide the barreled action back into the stock. Put in the front (short) screw first and turn in half way. Then put in the tang screw and turn in all the way tightly. Then turn the front screw the rest of the way. If you have an HS stock, you'll want to put them in 65 in-lbs. If you have a wooden stock, many have different ideas on how tight to turn them, but that is not a discussion for here and now. After all is tight, check the trigger pull for safety against ADs. I slam the butt stock of the c0cked rifle down on the floor 10 times or so to make sure it won't go off.

Which troll are you?
Larry "Douchbag" Root.
Originally Posted by Theeck

I have never had a problem with a Remington trigger but I have never adjusted one either. I did put a Timney trigger on one and it has been good.

This is the kind of post that has ruined the campfire. A guy writes to share his good experience and it takes just a few replies for someone to post a smart aleck insult “you are a little slow”. Completely uncalled for and added nothing to the discussion.
Originally Posted by headhunter130

Why, are you saying you know how to adjust a trigger to make it fire when the safety is released?
Originally Posted by McInnis
Originally Posted by Theeck

This is the kind of post that has ruined the campfire. A guy writes to share his good experience and it takes just a few replies for someone to post a smart aleck insult “you are a little slow”. Completely uncalled for and added nothing to the discussion.

Truth!
I wonder why we never hear from Winchester and Ruger owners who adjust their own triggers, only to have them fire on safety release. Is it out of the realm to have a trigger that can be adjusted by the gun savvy, and not have it fire without pulling the trigger?
Now down to a pair of M700s. The 25-06 ADL walnut bought used in 1978 and an ADL synthetic in 223, that I bought used about ten years ago. The 25-06 has the original trigger in it and old enough, that the safety has to be pushed off, to open the bolt.

Cleaned and adjusted that trigger when I bought it, resealed the adjustments w/nail polish. Hasn't been touched since, other than the occasional cleaning with lighter fluid and re-lube with a drop of RemOil. Has never misfired once when pushing the safety off. Haven't tested it with a trigger pull device, would guess it's about 3lbs, zero creep.

The 223 had a Timney installed when I bought it. Also fairly light, zero creep. This one can have the bolt opened with the safety engaged. No misfires so far. Out of long habit, never point either rifle at anything other than the ground, especally when pushing the safety off to unload the 25-06..

Maybe 30 years ago, a buddy blew a hole through the floor of my truck with his M700 6mm Varminter. Chuck hunting, loaded a round, closed the bolt as he was getting out of the truck. Muzzle still on truck floor. It went boom as he was lifting the rifle out of the truck. Not sure exactly what happened, whether the trigger had contacted a raised fold in the loose blanket on the seat, or it just went off on its own? He swore he never touched the trigger.

Only dumb thing he'd ever done, in the long tenure of our association. Never again tried to bolt a round until out of a vehicle. Hole in the floor and a new floor mat, worth having something to torture that poor bastard about, the rest of his life.

Read and learn:

"Leupold lies"

Laffing....

Doug??? Is that you??
I never had a trigger fail on my Remingtons but I did have a failure to feed.

While on a Mule Deer/Elk hunt in Colorado I had placed two shots from my 700 Classic/35 Whelan into the vitals of a mule deer.The guide had urged all of the hunters in our camp to shoot until the animal falls.While chambering a third round,the bolt jammed the round and it crimped the neck,not allowing the round to ever chamber,even after clearing the jam.Fortunately I didn't need the third round and the Muley fell after a few long seconds.
I never had to put three rounds into a deer.

out of a hundred++ only a couple needed two.

Never needed a guide for ANY
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Larry "Douchbag/HERPES SIMPLEX" Root.

Fixed
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
You will not find a box trigger on any military rifle I know off.

What do you think the M24 and the M40 use? Both Remington rifles and used by the Army and Marines.
Originally Posted by slumlord aka slimelord

Well aren't you special.LOL

My friend owned the ranch and I received a fully guided 5 day hunt with pack animals and meals for $400.00.

I bagged an Elk and Mule deer.

Suck on that moron.
If I wanted a cheap built POS I'd buy a Savage. At least they put the safety in the right spot.

I've never used a guide for deer either. Hell, I can go one hundred yards behind my neighborhood and shoot them. Haven't killed as many as you, maybe 60, but all with just one shot. I guess I'm missing the point of multiple shots and guided hunts, which I DO go on a lot of them....

Don’t forget group 3... those who’ve never owned a Remington rifle in their lives and don’t intend to start now...
Lot of good advice, some bad advice, and a whole lot of uncalled for "advice"...........lol.

I started to keep what happened to myself and not post it for the world to see, but did so for the following reason..........ever since the all the news has come out about Remington triggers on the 700 and 7 models, I was in that group of people who said "it's never happened to me, and because it hasn't, I don't believe it's a fault of Remington." Now, I can no longer say that, and after giving it careful thought, I decided to share my experience in the hope that it might prevent an accident by someone else.

A gun going off unexpectedly............regardless of the make or model, is not a good thing, and is nothing to disregard.
Originally Posted by devnull
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
You will not find a box trigger on any military rifle I know off.

What do you think the M24 and the M40 use? Both Remington rifles and used by the Army and Marines.

USMC followed the lead of SEALS and then SOCOM and is moving to Accuracy International in .300 Win Mag.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=1226
Originally Posted by efw

Don’t forget group 3... those who’ve never owned a Remington rifle in their lives and don’t intend to start now...

Present.///
Originally Posted by efw

Present.///

Having never owned one is the only way to talk intelligently about them, based on Fire logic.
Lot of good advice, some bad advice, and a whole lot of uncalled for "advice"...........lol.

I started to keep what happened to myself and not post it for the world to see, but did so for the following reason..........ever since the all the news has come out about Remington triggers on the 700 and 7 models, I was in that group of people who said "it's never happened to me, and because it hasn't, I don't believe it's a fault of Remington." Now, I can no longer say that, and after giving it careful thought, I decided to share my experience in the hope that it might prevent an accident by someone else.

A gun going off unexpectedly............regardless of the make or model, is not a good thing, and is nothing to disregard.

And I for one am very glad you did.

I too have had a couple of Accidental discharges with my Rem 700 mtn rifle. At both times I did not remember touching the trigger but I put it down to I must have done something wrong - a little buck fever MAYBE on the first occasion and MAYBE all thumbs when unloading another time after a hunt. I have the type of safety that locks up the bolt and trigger and have to take the safety off when unloading.

Now I'm not so sure. Maybe I never touched the trigger at all(I certainly don't remember consiously doing that).

I'm seriously thinking now about replacing the triggers on both my ADL and BDL. I don't want to have to modify the stock or trigger guard so looking for suggestions as to the best and simplest drop in model with the least hassle?
Originally Posted by PSE
[

I'm seriously thinking now about replacing the triggers on both my ADL and BDL. I don't want to have to modify the stock or trigger guard so looking for suggestions as to the best and simplest drop in model with the least hassle?

Timney triggers swap out in about 20-30 mins.- depends on how often you have to rewind the video on You-Tube.

It really is easy if you have any mechanical aptitude.

I have done 2 of 'em and need to do 2 more.
Originally Posted by efw

Present.///

Hahaha. 4.
Originally Posted by efw

Bam!!!!!!

Lol!!!
Posted By: Girlhunter JorgeI is a LIAR - 12/22/19
Originally Posted by efw

Present.///

What a lying POS you are.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-response-to-cnbc-under-fire#Post6205710

[
You guys are wasting your time by providing not only facts but personal experiences with the 700 aficionados. Whilst the chances are extremely slim of an AD and or the rest of the 700's shortcomings, you'll just be labeled a Remington hater. I own ONE 700, a 22-250 heavy barrel SS varmint rifle. Superbly accurate, but I use it exclusively on ground hogs from a fixed position and as a single shot mostly. jorge

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-your-biggest-disappointment#Post6150942

Remington 700 Classic in 35 Wheelen. Waited for it a long time. When it came the lug channels were overcut and the bolt would hang up as it "overotated", jammed and could not be retracted. And that is before I learned about all the other crap about glued bolt handles, fail on fire safeties and sheet metal extractors.

One word: TriggerTech....

Shilen here when they started replacing with crappy triggers. Still never had an issue with an old R trigger. That said hadn't they started to replace with the stupid non adjustable ones by 2008 already?
Originally Posted by Girlhunter
Originally Posted by efw

Present.///

Having never owned one is the only way to talk intelligently about them, based on Fire logic.

Logic, from someone whose handle starts with "girl"? lol I don't have to go out and buy a Yugo to know they are a POS. The fact there are literally VOLUMES of posts here and elsewhere on this POS, not to mention other forums, an entire cottage industry centered around "improving" the 700 and of course LOTS of litigation to make me go out and buy one to "evaluate" it. Sure, I used logic, a concept that apparently frightens and confuses you...
Originally Posted by efw

Present.///

[
You guys are wasting your time by providing not only facts but personal experiences with the 700 aficionados. Whilst the chances are extremely slim of an AD and or the rest of the 700's shortcomings, you'll just be labeled a Remington hater. I own ONE 700, a 22-250 heavy barrel SS varmint rifle. Superbly accurate, but I use it exclusively on ground hogs from a fixed position and as a single shot mostly. jorge

Remington 700 Classic in 35 Wheelen. Waited for it a long time. When it came the lug channels were overcut and the bolt would hang up as it "overotated", jammed and could not be retracted. And that is before I learned about all the other crap about glued bolt handles, fail on fire safeties and sheet metal extractors.

Yes and it stays up in PA. A few guys form the Campfire have shot it and in reality, even though it was purchased by me, I gave it to my FIL, but yes, you got me on the "never". i guessed it should have been "never again". Feel better now, honey or perhaps a Midol would help?

Never paid for it. It stayed in the store, so I never owned it.

You should stick to making coffee and sandwiches....
I think she needs a man; too much time on her hands. A few kids, some laundry, and floors to clean she won’t have to fact check claims made by strangers on the innerwebs to find meaning in life!

Sorry couldn’t help it.

Since our skeletons are all coming out I’ll admit that one of my favorite rifles in my cabinet is a Remington-produced 03-A3.

Phew. Glad I got ahead of that one wink !
Wow, ZING!

I love the adjusted trigger on my 700, never a problem with it but the "YET" part from so many here has me concerned enough. I don' t "need" anything so - a new Trigger Tech is on the way for Christmas from the wife.

The $104 at Midwayusa is worth the peace of mind in a rifle I tend to hand down one day to someone who won't maintain like I do. Cost me an extra $17 to get it in time to act surprised on Christmas.

Merry Christmas my brothers!!!
Originally Posted by efw
I think she needs a man; too much time on her hands. A few kids, some laundry, and floors to clean she won’t have to fact check claims made by strangers on the innerwebs to find meaning in life!

Sorry couldn’t help it.

Since our skeletons are all coming out I’ll admit that one of my favorite rifles in my cabinet is a Remington-produced 03-A3.

Confession is good for the soul, eh Eric?
To say that a mechanical device can never fail is avoiding logic.

I've probably bought and sold/traded 50+ Remington Model 700 rifles in my life time, and I've never had a problem. But that doesn't tell me what might happen tomorrow. I currently own 14 Model 700 rifles (some came with old factory triggers, and some came with newer factory triggers) and I've replaced a few (6, IIRC) of the triggers with Timney triggers for better performance, but they too are a mechanical device that could fail under the right circumstances which no one can predict in advance.

The only safe mode for any make of rifle - and triggers have and will fail on all of them - is muzzle control.

In my lifetime I've actually known of two trigger failures. One was on a Ruger 77 tang safety rifle and the other was on a Winchester Model 70. Both had been adjusted by their owner (not me) so possible pilot error was to blame? Tomorrow I might have another experience added to those two. Who knows?

At the present time there seems to be an issue with several Savage Axis triggers failing while a shooter was trying to remove a live round from the chamber. I've seen it posted on the internet but I haven't seen any confirmation from Savage, etc., and it could be pilot error.

Be safe out there.
Sounds like the FAA conclusion on every airplane accident. wink
Again, the triggers are a simple mechanism and any potential problems are easily identified if the person doin' the lookin' has any sort of clue. Truth is, most don't have; a clue, that is. GD
Originally Posted by efw

Sorry couldn’t help it.

Methinks the sock puppet sports a penis....
Originally Posted by efw

Present.///

[

Yes and it stays up in PA. A few guys form the Campfire have shot it and in reality, even though it was purchased by me, I gave it to my FIL, but yes, you got me on the "never". i guessed it should have been "never again". Feel better now, honey or perhaps a Midol would help?

So you've owned them but state you never have. That's what we call a LIAR.
Originally Posted by efw

Sorry couldn’t help it.

So you're good with LIARS? You MUST be a Christian.

Whorehay called out and quoted Jeffo Nonstop about the number of deer he said he killed, but those lies are bad. Whorehays lies are good

Point is, he's a lying POS, and does so to somehow make himself look GRAND.

In the meantime, you're projecting
I see the bourbon you had with your breakfast has given you some courage, but nice try, Scott. What's the matter idiot, you got run out of this place and now, like the gutless wonder you are, come back with your garbage again? Whorehay? that's original. Go and crawl back into your cheap bottle of bourbon, you miserable loser.
I have read through this thread and have three Rem 700 two of which have gunsmith adjusted triggers and one with a Timney Elite Hunter. So far no AD's. I have a customer that had his son die in his arms because of this. No he was not pointing his rifle in his sons direction. His son had come back outside while he was unloading his rifle in his pickup and did not know he was anywhere around. The rifle went off as he put a round in the chamber to be ejected went through the cab hit his son in the chest. He will live with that the rest of his life. This happened several years ago and he is doing ok. He has two young sons now and it seems to have helped him mentally and emotionally. This is the real eye opener to the Remington trigger.
I replaced mine with a timney. I dont know whether the rem triggers are dangerous or not. Its non issue for me.
Originally Posted by efw

Present.///

[

So you've owned them but state you never have. That's what we call a LIAR.

Look, you semi-literate alcoholic, the 22-250 I purchased with my FFL when I had one, and GAVE to my FIL and the 35 Wheelen Classic NEVER LEFT THE STORE. I know your education is limited, but do try and keep up, at least when sober...
One of my varmint rigs is a 700 223 VS that has a Neal Jones worked over trigger set at .5lbs. I can get it to fire by slamming the saftey forward, but it has had half the material removed from its sears and has very little engagement. Being cognizant of this I treat it accordingly.
As for enclosed triggers. Guys love to wax eloquently about how great mauser and model 70 triggers are. They both feel like shidt. Even when tuned by a competant smith. My main hunting rifle, a model 70 in 300 rum has been wearing Jewell trigger, installed and tuned by Redneck to 1lb. I cant recall exactly how long I have owned the gun, but its somewhere north of 15 years. During that time It has been on all kinds of rough hunts. Boat hunts in nw ontario, snowy hunts in upper MI, horseback hunts in the mountains, wet wether, dusty conditions, blizzards, etc. It has never failed and the only thing I do with it is flush it out with Ronosonal once a year per Arnold Jewell's reccomendations.
Originally Posted by lightman
I also own several Remington 700's and I have adjusted most of them with no problems. Until a couple of years ago. One of mine went off when I released the safety. It was pretty cold out but I was not wearing gloves. I'm pretty sure that I didn't touch the trigger. Mine was pretty dirty, as I had just returned from a hunting trip in Wyoming. It had a pretty good load of red dust in it, like everything else that I took on that trip!
Anyway, all of my 700's have Jewell triggers now.

+1
I see the bourbon you had with your breakfast has given you some courage, but nice try, Scott. What's the matter idiot, you got run out of this place and now, like the gutless wonder you are, come back with your garbage again? Whorehay? that's original. Go and crawl back into your cheap bottle of bourbon, you miserable loser.

You're a liar and a BLOWHARD POS. Always have been, always will be. Keep trying to deflect that fact that you are a LIAR.

Now go brag on something you've never actually done yourself or had to pay someone else to do. Laughing. On the plus side you're getting long in the tooth so we'll have another 'somber' time on the Fire again..
Sure has Hell,

SteelHead, same hatred, same issues.

Christmas Morning and wishing death on someone.
I remember when Remington told owners not to fool with seal on screws on Walker Trigger. I have had two unintended discharges from Remington's. Both had Bubba adjusted triggers. If finally learned to look in the window of the housing to see if Bubba had been at it. One of the rifles involved in the law suits looks like a found relic from the Civil War.

I sent my SPS in for the trigger swap. This was for my own protection not to be responsible for any accident related to an unintentional discharges. However, fatal accidents happen when the rifle is pointed at somebody.
Kenjs1 I looked at Midway after you mentioned the price and Santa ordered me a TriggerTech Special for $144.99 . Plan on installing it on one of my 700’s and if I like getting one for my other one as well as my daughters. Do the TriggerTechs come set for a certain poundage?
Originally Posted by bbrown
Kenjs1 I looked at Midway after you mentioned the price and Santa ordered me a TriggerTech Special for $144.99 . Plan on installing it on one of my 700’s and if I like getting one for my other one as well as my daughters. Do the TriggerTechs come set for a certain poundage?

No, not set per poundage.
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Sure has Hell,

If someone on here posted that they had been driving by a house, and noticed it was on fire, and they went in and saved all the people inside, and all the pets except for a goldfish, there would be someone who would be critical of what they had done.

Guaranteed.

I will repeat again..................it was not my intention to do anything but pass my experience on to others, because I was a doubter, and now no longer am. This is a potentially serious issue, and in no way, shape, form, or fashion, should have turned into what it has. It just shows you the mindset of some of the people that frequent the Campfire.
After I get done tuning one I take clear as nails fingernail polish and put on the screw to stiffen it up. Anyone that has ever messed with a Remington trigger knows what can happen. I’ve seen guys totally not use the safety just keep it on fire and keep the bolt rolled up and when ready to shoot roll the bolt down.
Ok thanks

You're a liar and a BLOWHARD POS. Always have been, always will be. Keep trying to deflect that fact that you are a LIAR.

Now go brag on something you've never actually done yourself or had to pay someone else to do. Laughing. On the plus side you're getting long in the tooth so we'll have another 'somber' time on the Fire again..

Isn’t it about time you saved a little puppy that was left in your yard or gave a homeless kid a candy bar?

Lol. Log is under a different name pretending to be someone else and denying it and *I* am the liar? Or is it bitterness (besides having accomplished nothing in life) because you got run out of here on rail with sand in your mangina, or maybe you did go out for a sex change and the SHEmones haven't kicked in? Tell us, did you go for the radical cutadicktomy and balls, not that you had any to begin with, or just the chemical change? either way, you are acting just like you USED to post here under STEELHEAD. forced, among other issues, apologize at the risk of getting banned for smearing people's children. Accomplished? Well, if your measure is driving a school bus for minimum wage is your measure... Long in the tooth? If I died on my feet you couldn't push me over.

We and 99% of the posters here, obviously have different values, but just like the other sociopaths here, you are still and always will be unfit to even shine my shoes...

Lol. Log is under a different name pretending to be someone else and denying it and *I* am the liar? Or is it bitterness (besides having accomplished nothing in life) because you got run out of here on rail with sand in your mangina, or maybe you did go out for a sex change and the SHEmones haven't kicked in? Tell us, did you go for the radical cutadicktomy and balls, not that you had any to begin with, or just the chemical change? either way, you are acting just like you USED to post here under STEELHEAD. forced, among other issues, apologize at the risk of getting banned for smearing people's children. Accomplished? Well, if your measure is driving a school bus for minimum wage is your measure... Long in the tooth? If I died on my feet you couldn't push me over.

We and 99% of the posters here, obviously have different values, but just like the other sociopaths here, you are still and always will be unfit to even shine my shoes...

Just curious, says this user has been joined up since Sept 2017, Has it been that long since Steelhead was shamed out of here?

If it really is Scott, I didn't think my opinion of him could have gone lower, why not just post on your old handle?
It is him.
it's him, read just a few posts of his/hers and you'll quickly see,

the fact that he created the account in '17 just makes it even weirder.
it's him, read just a posts of his/hers and you'll quickly see,

the fact that he created the account in '17 just makes it even weirder.

He was always a crude mouth, but never struck me as Jr. High School Chickish.
A new low if it's really him, Coast Guard would be proud. .
without a doubt, it's him (or her bitch-psycho self). Trust me, it's been verified. It's the typical downward spiral of a loser. If one just looks at the out of the blue callout over bullshit and more importantly, the vitriol with it was launched, it's clearly him. Look at his post history and when his feminine self resurrected. He's miserable with his current situation, so his hatred is his only escape. This thread and the link below clearly shows his self-loathing and his despise of how at best he's a .250 hitter in life and it's the bottom pf the ninth with two outs...

As to why he doesn't post under his old handle, we can add cowardice and lack of integrity to his resume...

anatomy of a sociopath

Can’t wait for the day we hear he sucked on a Glock....
Originally Posted by bbrown

BBRown and Kenneth- I got mine for Christmas. I bought the ....umm...I mean my wife ...bought the Primary for $104 but we pad extra to get it here. I don't think I will change it out before we hunt tomorrow though. Then again- maybe someone can chime in with any tips or suggestions an make me up and do it today. That story of the guy shooting his son.....man....has me thinking I couldn't forgive myself if I have a safe trigger but didn't install it.
Merry Christmas everybody!

I need to order a couple trigger techs.
without a doubt, it's him (or her bitch-psycho self). Trust me, it's been verified. It's the typical downward spiral of a loser. If one just looks at the out of the blue callout over bullshit and more importantly, the vitriol with it was launched, it's clearly him. Look at his post history and when his feminine self resurrected. He's miserable with his current situation, so his hatred is his only escape. This thread and the link below clearly shows his self-loathing and his despise of how at best he's a .250 hitter in life and it's the bottom pf the ninth with two outs...

As to why he doesn't post under his old handle, we can add cowardice and lack of integrity to his resume...

anatomy of a sociopath

Quite the thread, hadn't heard he was back for more.

It's amazing to me that some people can't move on from The Fire, they can't stay away. Seems like Scott was in "Campfire rehab", then fell off the wagon and is now a "Campfire binge a$$hole". smile

"I didn't start it, he started it, show me Rick, show me". smile Good God man.

Scott is a smart guy, has a lot of experience to share, why he picks the routes he does is a mystery. Four marriages, Campfire turmoil, maybe time for him to shake off the tough guy persona and go talk to somebody, deal with his anger, cuz it doesn't appear he can fix it on his own.
Just wondering, who figured out this was him and how did they know?
All I can say is, It took all of 10 minutes to swap it out.

Your call.

Exact same verbage, attacks the very same people from the past, Exact same inferiority issues, Exact same thoughts, Exact same story lines.

It's him.
Sure has Hell,

If someone on here posted that they had been driving by a house, and noticed it was on fire, and they went in and saved all the people inside, and all the pets except for a goldfish, there would be someone who would be critical of what they had done.

Guaranteed.

I will repeat again..................it was not my intention to do anything but pass my experience on to others, because I was a doubter, and now no longer am. This is a potentially serious issue, and in no way, shape, form, or fashion, should have turned into what it has. It just shows you the mindset of some of the people that frequent the Campfire.

James, yes we could have easily done without the vitriol spewed all over the computer screen by many parties which polluted this thread. It reminds me of the years when the company saw fit to hire six bitchy women onto my crew of twentyfive, and I as foreman had no authority to discipline or fire them as they did everything but exchange blows on the production floor.

As an owner of two Walker triggers, and an X-mark pro with one new Timney waiting in the safe for installation, I very much appreciate you post here. It has opened my eyes.

I will soon be ordering at least one more replacement trigger.

Exact same verbage, attacks the very same people from the past, Exact same inferiority issues, Exact same thoughts, Exact same story lines.

It's him.

Yes, I’m seeing it now. Wonder if making up a female user name was supposed to fool everyone or is there something else going on?

I’ve never had a problem with my model 700 trigger but this has me thinking. Does the replacement that Timney makes have a 3 way safety?
Gift's from my wife & daughter [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by horse1

Rem lawyer: "Did you adjust the trigger either yourself or have someone do it for you?"

Exactly, once you touch it with a screwdriver it is no longer a Remington trigger it is your trigger.
Kenneth, bbrown and others - I just installed the trigger tech. no real problem other than poor lighting and older eyes.

Man....absolutely NO creep. One of those that the first pulls seems TOO light but is pretty friggin bad A**!

Merry Christmas fglks - stay safe and give the griping a rest....its Christmas. A-holes will still be here tomorrow :-)

Not arguing, but how would you propose the lawsuits should've gone had the Plaintiff answered "No"?

Trigger Tech was easier for me, only a "novice do it your selfer"to install than Timney.
Kenneth, bbrown and others - I just installed the trigger tech. no real problem other than poor lighting and older eyes.

Man....absolutely NO creep. One of those that the first pulls seems TOO light but is pretty friggin bad A**!

Sure beats them Walkers and X-Marks, don't it?? smile smile
Kenjs1, I bought the “Special” with clear anodized body. Do you know what weight yours came in? The Special adjusts from 1-3.5 pounds, I will probably run it near 3.5 lbs. I will never forget the one and only misfire I ever had , it was the first day I ever gun hunted in my life. The first day of PA buck season in 1979 I hunted all day in driving rain with my dads 700 BDL in 7 mm that our friend had adjusted the trigger on. At dark I came back to the house and my father our best friend/hunting partner and I stood in the field and unloaded our rifles. When I pushed the safety off the rifle went off , thankfully I had the muzzle pointed at the ground. Dad and Fred were very calm and explained how it was important the muzzle was pointed safely. That changed my life, it could have easily been the end of hunting for me. Instead this year was my fortieth year of hunting and living the outdoor life, and I never touch a firearm without being 100% aware of the muzzle.
Tag
Ok if these are a problem
I am starting to believe

For what ever reason the issue
I guess you have to wonder what others in your party or others hunting near are carring and what they have done

I have a lot of 700s
Hank
Redneck- thought of reaching out to you before giving it a go as I am not the most confident of folks but like Kenneth said- took all of ten minutes or so. (Thanks Kenneth)

BBrown - I don't have a way pull scale to judge weight. TT says their triggers feel lighter than others with same lb\ft pounds. Guessing 2 lbs at outside most . The closest thing to compare the TT to is to say that it is as crisp and creepless as my CZ when using the set trigger. Thing just goes 'click' about the time you are thinking of beginning to squeeze. It isn't 'quite' as light as that but my first time pulling both either will give you a bit of a shock. It only takes a couple pulls to get used to either and I am leaving as is. Sorry I can't give you a number.

I already feel better and my son who will inherit this 6mm assisted - so even more of a bonding thing. He thinks it is awesome.
OK, OK, you guys convinced me. Going to put a Trigger Tech on my .270 700. Looks like a great upgrade.
Bob
Originally Posted by whelennut

Exactly, once you touch it with a screwdriver it is no longer a Remington trigger it is your trigger.

Not if it is advertised as user adjustable with instructions on how to do so and you follow the instructions.

Were you using two fingers to push the safety forward? I did extensive testing on Walker triggers including the Model 7. I got several firing pin drops. All happened when I was moving the safety forward using my thumb and trigger finger. I filmed what happened to make sure of the problem. Here it is. The safety's are hard to move forward. To gain leverage my ring finger inadvertently touched the trigger which when set at just under three pounds dropped the firing pen easily. How many pounds of pressure does it take to push those safety's forward? On my Model 7 it takes 12 pounds of pressure. I never was able to get it to happen when using my thumb to push the safety forward and my finger out of the trigger guard.
I'm the least experienced on this board, have the fewest rifles, but one really need not be an expert to weigh the risk vs cost, and when I have at my disposal a forum of thousands of experienced shooters, who for the last fifteen years cannot agree, the price of a Timney ain't all that much. .

I got the Elite Hunter for the 700, and it will adjust, at least the ones I've bought before did. The one for the Model 7 is their only offering for that model. It broke at 3 pounds out of the box. The only drawback is that you have to take off some of the stock and trigger guard in order to make it fit.

I really wanted to try the Basix trigger, but they are very confusing as to what they will and will not fit on the Remingtons. I may give a Triggertech a try the next time.

I went looking for a Triggertech and could not find out if they made one for a Model 7. Waiting for it to happen.
Originally Posted by rickt300

I went looking for a Triggertech and could not find out if they made one for a Model 7. Waiting for it to happen.

I have 3 Timney's on Model 7's. I like them, but they all required some fitting, both on the trigger guard and on the stock. Didn't take but about 15 minutes with a Dremel, but I wish someone made a drop-in for the 7 like they do for the 700. I hear the Triggertech is coming out with a trigger for the 7, but I wanted one now, and didn't want to wait.
Originally Posted by rickt300

Were you using two fingers to push the safety forward? I did extensive testing on Walker triggers including the Model 7. I got several firing pin drops. All happened when I was moving the safety forward using my thumb and trigger finger. I filmed what happened to make sure of the problem. Here it is. The safety's are hard to move forward. To gain leverage my ring finger inadvertently touched the trigger which when set at just under three pounds dropped the firing pen easily. How many pounds of pressure does it take to push those safety's forward? On my Model 7 it takes 12 pounds of pressure. I never was able to get it to happen when using my thumb to push the safety forward and my finger out of the trigger guard.

I always use my thumb. I don't think it is an issue of so many pounds of pressure, as it is just a failure on the part of the trigger assembly.
I guess anything mechanical can fail. The reason I don't like Timney's has been their floating and changing pull on several Mauser's and two Springfield's I installed them on. The truth is I far prefer safety's that block the firing pin like both Mauser's and Springfield's. And if it take 10-15 pounds of pressure to move the safety that would seem to give the trigger at least some shaking when it stops, they are connected, possibly even enough force to slightly turn the whole trigger assembly, hmmmm.
The safeties are stiff and I normally use my thumb and trigger finger to ease it off rather than have it snap forward I guess it was always impressed on me as kid a deer would hear the click of the safety. This is a very interesting question I have never seen asked before ...
Thinking about it, you are pushing the trigger assembly both downward and backward from one side when releasing the safety. The trigger assembly being held in place by two pins. If your engagement is pretty thin could this cause a problem?
No. The problem arises when the safety does not lift the sear clear of the trigger (or sear connector). The thing is, if the safety lifts the sear clear by only a couple thousandths of an inch, the safety will function. However, it only takes a little wear on either the safety of the sear to create the condition under which the accidental discharges have occurred. This was exactly the case with those triggers which caused Remington to issue a recall back in the late seventies/early eighties. For whatever reason, safety cam out of spec, holes in the wrong place, sear out of spec, trigger lever out of spec, the safety did not cam the sear up far enough off the trigger. Consequently, with very little wear or deflection, the trigger would be set up to fail. Precisely the same situation exists on a number of triggers and rifles which rely upon safeties wh9ch cam the sear off the trigger or even those which cam the striker back off the sear. If the camming movement is not sufficient to clear the trigger and the trigger is pulled or jarred while the safety is engaged, the rifle will fire when the safety is disengaged. Even military Mausers, normally infallible, can be made to exhibit this same problem if some dumbas fits a safety improperly.
When Remington replaced the Walker trigger with the X-mark, they eliminated the sear connector (which was a superfluous piece anyway, and they added a secondary safety piece which would block trigger movement when the safety was engaged. This was not entirely successful because the potential for a poorly fitting safety or out of spec part could still result in a safety which would not lift the sear sufficiently. Also, since the sear engagement was still adjustable, along with pull weight and overtravel, it was still possible for an owner or unskilled 'smith to set the trigger up in such a way as to create an unsafe condition.
This was one reason Ruger went to the MKII version of the 77 and eliminated the tang safety. They also eliminated the opportunity for the owner to adjust the trigger and thus, prevent potential mistakes. The MkII lacks adjustment, cams the striker off the sear, and blocks the trigger. The trigger might not pull nice but, by golly, it's safe. GD
Originally Posted by BWalker
One of my varmint rigs is a 700 223 VS that has a Neal Jones worked over trigger set at .5lbs. I can get it to fire by slamming the saftey forward, but it has had half the material removed from its sears and has very little engagement. Being cognizant of this I treat it accordingly.
As for enclosed triggers. Guys love to wax eloquently about how great mauser and model 70 triggers are. They both feel like shidt. Even when tuned by a competant smith. My main hunting rifle, a model 70 in 300 rum has been wearing Jewell trigger, installed and tuned by Redneck to 1lb. I cant recall exactly how long I have owned the gun, but its somewhere north of 15 years. During that time It has been on all kinds of rough hunts. Boat hunts in nw ontario, snowy hunts in upper MI, horseback hunts in the mountains, wet wether, dusty conditions, blizzards, etc. It has never failed and the only thing I do with it is flush it out with Ronosonal once a year per Arnold Jewell's reccomendations.

Got a 70 and a mauser.
Both 100% safe.
Bolt slam and bounce test times however many times ya wanna do em

70 breaks like christmas ornament glass at around 17 or 18 oz.
Bill Morrison outta Bradford Maine did the job on it.
Grand uncle of mine.
He ded now.....

Mauser 2 stage mil trigger breaks at 2.75 pds
I did that work.

Yes they are both eloquent rifles!!!

And way better than a Remington.

"That if it aint broke dont fix it kinda thing".
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Above saying dont apply to Remington though
LOL!!!

Best part is I didnt have to buy aftermarket triggers and parts to make em safe to have confidence in em.
Love how some spew the virtures of em with 100,s of dollars of extra schitt in em to make em shoot safely, when they shoulda been made better to begin with and all these aftermarket triggers woulda not been needed for em in the 1st place.

Just saying.....

LOL!!!!
So we used the 6mm with TT for my son to hunt yesterday who claimed the safety was off when he went to shoot. I handed him that rifle DEFINTITELY knowing the I put it on safe - doing so as we we handing it off. Before you go there - I gave him the rifle with an empty chamber and he hit a snag chambering the first round so I did it for him. That is the one thing I am not crazy about on the TT. The trigger switch is a little too easy to flip.
Originally Posted by Bighorn

Couldn't agree more- repeated incidents like the above are precisely why there is not a single Remington in my gun safes.

Stuff like this doesn't happen to our Weatherbys.........

Yep, too bad as well.
I feel any twisting of the trigger assembly or stopping 10-15 pounds of force might be enough to cause a firing pin drop if sear engagement is set to a minimum. We are always blaming the trigger when in reality these things happen when the safety is released. The safety and the triggers ability to release the sear are closely connected. However I don't like the safety on my model 7 simply because so much force has to be used to release it.
Had my share of issues with 700s, bolt handles breaking, AD's from triggers......do not recall EVER having an AD on a Non-Rem rifle, by fault of the trigger. That said, never heard of this from aftermarket triggers for 700s, had several. No doubt, one would not expect to have to 'Upgrade' to have a safe trigger.

If some Mfg. would not set the triggers so heavy, as often the case, perhaps less people would tinker with them. Buyer beware......

In the end, not an excuse for a problematic high AD risk design, but ALWAYS control the muzzle,,,,,,,,one never knows when it might go BOOM.
Originally Posted by BWalker

Got a 70 and a mauser.
Both 100% safe.

Grand uncle of mine.
He ded now.....

I did that work.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Above saying dont apply to Remington though
LOL!!!

Best part is I didnt have to buy aftermarket triggers and parts to make em safe to have confidence in em.
Love how some spew the virtures of em with 100,s of dollars of extra schitt in em to make em shoot safely, when they shoulda been made better to begin with and all these aftermarket triggers woulda not been needed for em in the 1st place.

Just saying.....

LOL!!!!

I had Bill make up a barrel and do the action work on a Brazilian 1908 in 338W. Shoots lights out. Also a Whelan on a Markx. I believe He said he used M70 Safari profile on the barrel. I have some pics around here somewhere of him and his shop and equipment. I swear He must of had 2 tons of timken steel for the barrels in a pile on the floor! If He couldn't find a part, he could make it. One hell of a talent right into his late 80's.
Put Timney triggers in all 3 of my 700's. Grandson will get them one day. Did not want any issues for him!

Got a 70 and a mauser.
Both 100% safe.

Grand uncle of mine.
He ded now.....

I did that work.

If it ain't broke, then why did you have the work done?

You drive a Ford, don't you?
© 24hourcampfire