-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With the exception of one Walker trigger work over by our dearly departed Malm, every Remington I own wears a Triggertech Primary; love them!!

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have two questions.

Is the factory trigger in current production Remington rifles known to have the misfires?

Are there instances of misfires in triggers that have not been adjusted?

The answer to question #2 is yes. I have a 700 BDL bought new in 1977 that had one of these misfires a few years later. It now has a Timney.

Last edited by fishnpbr; 12/19/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Uhhhhh

I don't believe I would ever hunt with someone if,...in their Captain Black cherry, pipe smoking conversations they boasted...."yep, my 700 has only had 3 accidental discharges in 20 years"

fuuuuuuuuuuuug you crazy crazy crazy

first two times I thought it just s fluke, then almost shot my foot off, barely missed my dad, shot a hole in the Scottsdale.

My GAWD people

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Uhhhhh

I don't believe I would ever hunt with someone if,...in their Captain Black cherry, pipe smoking conversations they boasted...."yep, my 700 has only had 3 accidental discharges in 20 years"

fuuuuuuuuuuuug you

I agree.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Fuggin walmart guns

laugh

IC B2

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Fuggin walmart guns

laugh

Maybe the Walmart Remingtons had triggers that were made first thing on Monday morning, or the last thing on Friday afternoon.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
He done shot a hole in the Scottsdale!
That’s some funny schiet Slumlord

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm reminded why I usually hunt alone. haha

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by greydog
The short answer is, they have.

No they haven't. While there is little doubt all these rifles have had ADs. they are not even in the same universe as 700s. Then of course there's that flimsy, sheet metal extractor prone to breakage when dirty, the err brazed on bolt handle and my personal favorite, a non bolt locking safety. Ask yourself this question, there is an ENTIRE cottage industry dedicated to making 700s safer and better...

While they may not have been sued and the issue maybe less common it certainly is a problem with any enclosed trigger. Believe it or not I’ve seen plenty of triggers on your cherished MKVs that were unsafe due to being full of dust, gunked up with oil and grease, and my favorite of all corroded up with white chalky crustaceans from the pot metal housing degrading. Of course they probably haven’t built 1/100th the number of MKVs as Remington built 600,660,721,721,725,700, and 7s.

It happens to enclosed triggers, all of them.

I will say that in a decade of gunsmithing I saw more unsafe Model 70 triggers than any other brand. Put everything out in the open and suddenly everyone is a gunsmith and you just keep cranking those nuts off until she’s nice and light.

Bottom line is to do the best you can to keep it from happening by keeping it clean and degreased. Replace it if you wish to and keep the damn thing pointed in a safe direction. Man made stuff fails and can kill you if you’re not paying attention, guns, cars, tools, just about everything.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by TheKid

No they haven't. While there is little doubt all these rifles have had ADs. they are not even in the same universe as 700s. Then of course there's that flimsy, sheet metal extractor prone to breakage when dirty, the err brazed on bolt handle and my personal favorite, a non bolt locking safety. Ask yourself this question, there is an ENTIRE cottage industry dedicated to making 700s safer and better...

While they may not have been sued and the issue maybe less common it certainly is a problem with any enclosed trigger. Believe it or not I’ve seen plenty of triggers on your cherished MKVs that were unsafe due to being full of dust, gunked up with oil and grease, and my favorite of all corroded up with white chalky crustaceans from the pot metal housing degrading. Of course they probably haven’t built 1/100th the number of MKVs as Remington built 600,660,721,721,725,700, and 7s.

It happens to enclosed triggers, all of them.

I will say that in a decade of gunsmithing I saw more unsafe Model 70 triggers than any other brand. Put everything out in the open and suddenly everyone is a gunsmith and you just keep cranking those nuts off until she’s nice and light.

Bottom line is to do the best you can to keep it from happening by keeping it clean and degreased. Replace it if you wish to and keep the damn thing pointed in a safe direction. Man made stuff fails and can kill you if you’re not paying attention, guns, cars, tools, just about everything.

This^ & more of this^. A bonafied gunsmith working in a location where guns see some of the most adverse conditions on the planet. Where else can you look??
Any freakin thing man made= not if it will fail, but when.
Kinda like farmers only dot com............. some folks just don't get it.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There are 2 groups of sportsmen:
1. those who don't believe the Remington trigger has a problem. They've never had one fire.
2. those who have had one misbehave.

Those in group 1 will readily convert to group 2 when one of their rifles does misbehave.

This bears repeating. I had it happen repeatedly to a 700 with a walker (unloaded while function testing) I replaced it with a Timney and will not own one with a Walker trigger. Mine locked the bolt down so you had to disengage the safety to load and unload.

Unload the rifle (triple check). Apply safety and bang the recoil pad against a carpeted floor a few times and disengage the safety. I got a click several times doing that.

Last edited by K1500; 12/19/19.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Not against Remingtons - they just don't enter my world, for whatever reason. But, I've seen the trigger issue manifest itself before.
Reminds me - I need to have our son replace the trigger in the Remington 600 I bought him ~ 25 years ago - BEFORE he has an issue!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Do rem 788s have the same style triggers?

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
if using the safety causes an A/D, unless the system is kept exceptionally clean, there is a serious problem

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by K1500
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There are 2 groups of sportsmen:
1. those who don't believe the Remington trigger has a problem. They've never had one fire.
2. those who have had one misbehave.

Those in group 1 will readily convert to group 2 when one of their rifles does misbehave.

This bears repeating. I had it happen repeatedly to a 700 with a walker (unloaded while function testing) I replaced it with a Timney and will not own one with a Walker trigger. Mine locked the bolt down so you had to disengage the safety to load and unload.

Unload the rifle (triple check). Apply safety and bang the recoil pad against a carpeted floor a few times and disengage the safety. I got a click several times doing that.

Dayom scary

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

Well, there is that.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
My experience involved an unloaded weapon. Nearly new, very few rounds fired, unaltered from the factory.

Released the pin upon moving safety to fire several times in a row in fairly quick succession. Removed stock, cleaned and dried trigger, it worked fine. Couldn’t get it to repeat the failure. It looked spotless before cleaning though.

I’ll never trust or use the safety on a 700.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have shot literally tens (and tens, and TENS) of thousands of rounds from handguns,rifles, and shotguns. Probably a low estimate.

Many of those rounds, from Remington 700's with legacy, and X-Mark triggers, some adjusted, some not. Also many thousand of rounds from other brands, including crappy imports and military surplus pieces of chit SKS's and the like in my youth.

In my life I have cannot recall EVER having a negligent discharge, nor an unintentional discharge from any of my firearms, EVER.

The only time I have ever heard a boom, is when I pulled a trigger.

Must be lucky.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have two 700s that I have been shooting for over thirty years. I've never had any issues with either trigger but I keep hearing all these horror stories about the Walker trigger. About a year ago I installed Trigger Tech triggers in both rifles just so I can sleep better at night.

I also watched that CBS story on Remington and they had John Walker himself the guy that designed the 700 saying in his own words that the trigger is defective. I did not notice anybody holding a gun to his head.

Finally for good measure I had Redneck here on the Fire resecure the bolt handles on both rifles. Yes I am paranoid.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What about Shilen triggers?

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,701
Posts18,513,773
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.