Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by BWalker
One of my varmint rigs is a 700 223 VS that has a Neal Jones worked over trigger set at .5lbs. I can get it to fire by slamming the saftey forward, but it has had half the material removed from its sears and has very little engagement. Being cognizant of this I treat it accordingly.
As for enclosed triggers. Guys love to wax eloquently about how great mauser and model 70 triggers are. They both feel like shidt. Even when tuned by a competant smith. My main hunting rifle, a model 70 in 300 rum has been wearing Jewell trigger, installed and tuned by Redneck to 1lb. I cant recall exactly how long I have owned the gun, but its somewhere north of 15 years. During that time It has been on all kinds of rough hunts. Boat hunts in nw ontario, snowy hunts in upper MI, horseback hunts in the mountains, wet wether, dusty conditions, blizzards, etc. It has never failed and the only thing I do with it is flush it out with Ronosonal once a year per Arnold Jewell's reccomendations.

Got a 70 and a mauser.
Both 100% safe.
Bolt slam and bounce test times however many times ya wanna do em

70 breaks like christmas ornament glass at around 17 or 18 oz.
Bill Morrison outta Bradford Maine did the job on it.
Grand uncle of mine.
He ded now.....

Mauser 2 stage mil trigger breaks at 2.75 pds
I did that work.

Yes they are both eloquent rifles!!!

And way better than a Remington.

"That if it aint broke dont fix it kinda thing".
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Above saying dont apply to Remington though
LOL!!!

Best part is I didnt have to buy aftermarket triggers and parts to make em safe to have confidence in em.
Love how some spew the virtures of em with 100,s of dollars of extra schitt in em to make em shoot safely, when they shoulda been made better to begin with and all these aftermarket triggers woulda not been needed for em in the 1st place.

Just saying.....

LOL!!!!

Last edited by renegade50; 12/27/19.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So we used the 6mm with TT for my son to hunt yesterday who claimed the safety was off when he went to shoot. I handed him that rifle DEFINTITELY knowing the I put it on safe - doing so as we we handing it off. Before you go there - I gave him the rifle with an empty chamber and he hit a snag chambering the first round so I did it for him. That is the one thing I am not crazy about on the TT. The trigger switch is a little too easy to flip.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Remington 700s: The biggest POS hoax perpetrated to the shooting public in a century...

Couldn't agree more- repeated incidents like the above are precisely why there is not a single Remington in my gun safes.

Stuff like this doesn't happen to our Weatherbys.........

Yep, too bad as well.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I feel any twisting of the trigger assembly or stopping 10-15 pounds of force might be enough to cause a firing pin drop if sear engagement is set to a minimum. We are always blaming the trigger when in reality these things happen when the safety is released. The safety and the triggers ability to release the sear are closely connected. However I don't like the safety on my model 7 simply because so much force has to be used to release it.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had my share of issues with 700s, bolt handles breaking, AD's from triggers......do not recall EVER having an AD on a Non-Rem rifle, by fault of the trigger. That said, never heard of this from aftermarket triggers for 700s, had several. No doubt, one would not expect to have to 'Upgrade' to have a safe trigger.

If some Mfg. would not set the triggers so heavy, as often the case, perhaps less people would tinker with them. Buyer beware......

In the end, not an excuse for a problematic high AD risk design, but ALWAYS control the muzzle,,,,,,,,one never knows when it might go BOOM.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by BWalker
One of my varmint rigs is a 700 223 VS that has a Neal Jones worked over trigger set at .5lbs. I can get it to fire by slamming the saftey forward, but it has had half the material removed from its sears and has very little engagement. Being cognizant of this I treat it accordingly.
As for enclosed triggers. Guys love to wax eloquently about how great mauser and model 70 triggers are. They both feel like shidt. Even when tuned by a competant smith. My main hunting rifle, a model 70 in 300 rum has been wearing Jewell trigger, installed and tuned by Redneck to 1lb. I cant recall exactly how long I have owned the gun, but its somewhere north of 15 years. During that time It has been on all kinds of rough hunts. Boat hunts in nw ontario, snowy hunts in upper MI, horseback hunts in the mountains, wet wether, dusty conditions, blizzards, etc. It has never failed and the only thing I do with it is flush it out with Ronosonal once a year per Arnold Jewell's reccomendations.

Got a 70 and a mauser.
Both 100% safe.

Grand uncle of mine.
He ded now.....

I did that work.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Above saying dont apply to Remington though
LOL!!!

Best part is I didnt have to buy aftermarket triggers and parts to make em safe to have confidence in em.
Love how some spew the virtures of em with 100,s of dollars of extra schitt in em to make em shoot safely, when they shoulda been made better to begin with and all these aftermarket triggers woulda not been needed for em in the 1st place.

Just saying.....

LOL!!!!

I had Bill make up a barrel and do the action work on a Brazilian 1908 in 338W. Shoots lights out. Also a Whelan on a Markx. I believe He said he used M70 Safari profile on the barrel. I have some pics around here somewhere of him and his shop and equipment. I swear He must of had 2 tons of timken steel for the barrels in a pile on the floor! If He couldn't find a part, he could make it. One hell of a talent right into his late 80's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Put Timney triggers in all 3 of my 700's. Grandson will get them one day. Did not want any issues for him!

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by renegade50

Got a 70 and a mauser.
Both 100% safe.

Grand uncle of mine.
He ded now.....

I did that work.

If it ain't broke, then why did you have the work done?

You drive a Ford, don't you?

Last edited by prplbkrr; 12/28/19.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 66 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,699
Posts18,513,696
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.