Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by renegade50
Why even put an adjustment feature on them....
Then turn around and say it went bang cause you or a " gunsmith" adjusted it.

That argument holds no water.

Do they say how to adjust them in the owners manual

If so, then it is oxymoronical for Remington to make an adjustable trigger, put it the owners manual how to do it.
Then blame the user for doing it if that is the case.

I have seen their M40 sniper rifles discharge closing the bolt chambering a round several times.

"oxymoronical"
That's an awful big word for a guy to use from KY or Tenn.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
None of my Remington rifles have retained their OEM triggers. They are either Jewell or Timney., never an issue with those.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Originally Posted by renegade50
Why even put an adjustment feature on them....
Then turn around and say it went bang cause you or a " gunsmith" adjusted it.

That argument holds no water.

Do they say how to adjust them in the owners manual

If so, then it is oxymoronical for Remington to make an adjustable trigger, put it the owners manual how to do it.
Then blame the user for doing it if that is the case.

I have seen their M40 sniper rifles discharge closing the bolt chambering a round several times.

"oxymoronical"
That's an awful big word for a guy to use from KY or Tenn.

I'm a transplanted yankee...
Graduated "High" Skoul.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Remington 700s: The biggest POS hoax perpetrated to the shooting public in a century...
Yep, junk. Won't own one. Rather
have a Savage or damn near anything else.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Glad no one was hurt...

I had one I bought new in 79... it went off once on it's own... had a gunsmith look at it...didn't go off on its own for a long time...

the second time it did, I sent it to Remington and got it back like 6 months later...

didn't go off on its own until a long time later...that one was when I slung the rifle sling on over my shoulder... a 220 gr RN hit the ground as I was taught to have the muzzle pointing at the ground by my dad.. a pilot...it missed my right heal by a couple of inches... I never have carried it that way ever again...

it didn't go off again after being sent to Remington again...it an ADL in 06.... I was out hunting with a coworker,. for elk.. and I loaned him that rifle..
When we were going home... he was unloading it by cycling the bolt... that one went off again.. this time shooting a brand new Chevy 3500 4WD, with a custom paint job to match the 5th wheel... put a 220 grain thru the side of both sides of the box on it...

That was only 3 times in 25 years...but this time when I took it to a gunsmith, he put a Timney in it... and its had no bolt issues since..

The last time it screwed up was a year or two ago....go to extract a live round in the chamber.. and the bolt handle came right off in my hand...
took that to a gunsmith, who got the bolt out ant he live round...for a comfortable price for himself...

That bolt handle went to Redneck... who pinned it with two screws.. so that should eliminate that problem from ever happening...

I don't blame it on the design as much as I wonder about poor Q.C.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
After changing the trigger, fix yo bolt handle too!

Damn things are dangerous and falling apart.

LOL.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender

LOL.

I wonder if the trigger problems can be traced to cleaning them with ethanol blended gas. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you have any Remington bolt rifle other than the 788 made prior to October 2007 with the factory trigger it isn't a matter of if, but when it does this. Every single one of them is a ticking time bomb. If the trigger connector just happens to position its self in the wrong spot the gun will discharge with no trigger pull. If your's hasn't done it yet it will given enough time and use.

Any trigger improperly adjusted or filthy could do this, but the Remington trigger has proven repeatedly that it will do so regardless. It was proven on the factory assembly line in 1946 and thousands of times since.

MIne is a 1974 production rifle bought new in 1975. The factory trigger was never modified and kept clean. I 1st heard of these issues in the 1970's and considered them BS too. Until sometime in the 1990's when mine did this. I forgot about the issue until the 2nd time in 2014. By then I'd pretty much retired the rifle from use, but after the 2nd incident in 40 years decided to put a Timney in it before one of the grandkids get it one day.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I wonder if the trigger problems can be traced to cleaning them with ethanol blended gas. smile

The problem has been well known since 1946. The designer used a floating steel bar inside the trigger called a trigger connector. It's supposed to slide up and down inside the trigger assembly as the trigger is pulled to improve the trigger pull. The problem is that it is free to move at any time as the gun is handled. The odds are literally one in a million, but if it does happen to come to a rest in the right spot it disengages the sear. At that point the safety is the only thing holding back the trigger.

It doesn't matter if the trigger is adjusted to 5-6 lbs or how clean the trigger is when this happens. The guns designer found the flaw in 1946 and recommended a redesigned trigger without the connector in both 1946 and again in 1948. That design didn't go into production until October 2007.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I for one have never had the itch to adjust the trigger on my model 700.

It's a BDL and it is chambered in the lowly .270 Win.

That said after being stored before going to shoot it gets taken apart and cleaned.

I use no oil products in the trigger group because where i live the dust blows so bad at times that it would just collect there.

Also i have not had the bolt handle fall off,it's been since 1977.

Maybe i am just a lucky SOB. whistle

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The factory spring ( the short one ) has minimal adjustment range. Think many make them too light and get by with it for a while.

Have always changed mine out to longer, one of lesser wire dia.....it has a safer and longer adjustment.

But wtf do I know. Maybe a dozen rigs. Never a problem after doing that. 28 oz and bang the fugg out of it, still safe.

Of course I bought two rifles where prev owners adjusted them w factory springs to unsafe. One too light, the other I dunno what that fugstick thought.

Lucky I bought em and made em right. On a shelf at a shop, somebody else might have gotten them and into trouble.

Have actually watched folks set off light triggers and swear they didnt have fingers on the trigger.......and they did.

Off the trigger face doesnt mean off the trigger and off the trigger doesnt mean out of the trigger guard. But too damn many think it does.

Last edited by hookeye; 12/19/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Traded my last Rem700 for a Savage.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Someone asked, "how is it that Sako, Tikka, Winchester, Ruger, and a host of others, have never had this problem. The short answer is, they have. I have seen the same thing happen on Sakos, Winchesters, Weatherbys, Shulz&Larsen, Ruger 77 (tang safety), Savage, Parker Hale, Mossberg.
Some Remington triggers are dimensionally flawed from the factory and these have problems. Others are borderline and after some use will develope problems. The problem is, ultimately due to the safety lever and the dimensions threof and not due to the use of the sear connector in the design. Many people are trumpeting the virtues of the Trigger Tech trigger yet, interestingly enough, it has a sear connector; although they call it something else. GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I'm one that will be a believer until I'm not. LOL. But not many Remington light rifles left in the safe(s).

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 5sdad

LOL.

USE SEAFOAM!!!
(and a good ground)
smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
JamesJr Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This is what I know..........I know there are people who have adjusted a Model 700 or 7 trigger, who did not know what they were doing, and I know that there are those who believe that a well oiled trigger is better, because it's going to make it "smoother." I know there are people who believe the only way a Remington will go off by itself when the safety is released is because the either the trigger was improperly adjusted, or the trigger was all dirty and a piece of gunk had caused it......I know this, because I was once in that group. I know that on my rifle, the trigger was properly adjusted, and it was clean and not "gunked" up.

I believe this...........a 100 years from now, if we're allowed to own guns, there will be Remington rifles that are still being used and have never had an issue with the trigger. I believe that because I don't believe that every Remington trigger is junk and is destined to fail at some point in time. Take two cars, that come off the assembly line back to back.......made identical. One of them may turn out to be a lemon, and the other may still running like a sewing machine 20 years later. Manmade things are like that, and that's how I see the triggers on the 700's and 7's. But, I also believe now, thankfully before a bad accident happened, that it is impossible to know which triggers will not fail.....and that is a chance I am unwilling to take.

I replaced mine today with a Timney, and bought another one to replace my son's Model 700 with. I have replaced the triggers on a number of my 700's and 7's because I do not like the XMark-Pro trigger. I believe I still have a couple of Walker triggers left, and they will be replaced.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
James, which Timney did you get and from where? Is it adjustable or not? Since viewing this thread, I've been looking at replacements and was leaning toward the Trigger Tech.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 5sdad

LOL.

USE SEAFOAM!!!
(and a good ground)
smile

Sound advice! wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
JamesJr Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
James, which Timney did you get and from where? Is it adjustable or not? Since viewing this thread, I've been looking at replacements and was leaning toward the Trigger Tech.

I got the Elite Hunter for the 700, and it will adjust, at least the ones I've bought before did. The one for the Model 7 is their only offering for that model. It broke at 3 pounds out of the box. The only drawback is that you have to take off some of the stock and trigger guard in order to make it fit.

I really wanted to try the Basix trigger, but they are very confusing as to what they will and will not fit on the Remingtons. I may give a Triggertech a try the next time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by greydog
The short answer is, they have.

No they haven't. While there is little doubt all these rifles have had ADs. they are not even in the same universe as 700s. Then of course there's that flimsy, sheet metal extractor prone to breakage when dirty, the err brazed on bolt handle and my personal favorite, a non bolt locking safety. Ask yourself this question, there is an ENTIRE cottage industry dedicated to making 700s safer and better...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1Longbow, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,444
Posts18,489,527
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.