Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wtroger
I only shoot three shot groups for load development. After I get my load figured out. I shoot one or shots about a week before deer season. It’s the first shot counts the most.
Bingo....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pretty much all my animals are taken with just one shot, so I only shoot one-shot groups.

:-)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a really good looking rifle DF. Love the stainless barrel and blued receiver. I'll bet it's a pleasure in the hand.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Instead of spending/wasting time on the bench like the paper queen, I prefer to spend my time like this......I've never come close to hurling 10 shots consecutively at any animal.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by JGRaider; 12/03/19.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cool rig DF! That's a great load and rifle you have there!

Semper Fi
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
One more time: The number of shots you'd shoot or not shoot at an animal has no bearing on the accuracy of the estimate of actual group center and size provided by whatever number of shots.

I'm not arguing whether or not a particular person needs the "better math/stat" to do what they do in the hunting fields.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Instead of spending/wasting time on the bench like the paper queen, I prefer to spend my time like this......I've never come close to hurling 10 shots consecutively at any animal.

West Texas? Nice!!!!

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I hardly ever shoot 5 shot groups, despite what others think whether it's relevant or not.

Another take on accuracy, or precision, depending on your definition.......

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...rd/Search/true/world-record#Post12760591

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Are you trying to brag about not shooting very much?

Some of us actually enjoy shooting, and do it a lot just for the sake of practice and being good at it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve had much success with the .308 165 regular GameKing decided to try out the same but HPBT. Accuracy was just as good and took a doe with it this past Sunday. Offhand 80 yard shot, I hit her high breaking the spine and dropping her. Walked up and finished her off with a neck shot. Caliber entry wound and 2.5” exit hole on both shots. I’ll be hunting the remaining of our season with the load hogs and whitetails. I can take three bucks and as many does as the opportunity presents.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Yondering

Are you trying to brag about not shooting very much?

Some of us actually enjoy shooting, and do it a lot just for the sake of practice and being good at it.

Quit guessing, it makes you look like a fool.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Damn fine rifle! I shoot three shot groups too. It just depends on how I feel that day.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by mathman
One more time: The number of shots you'd shoot or not shoot at an animal has no bearing on the accuracy of the estimate of actual group center and size provided by whatever number of shots.

At least someone gets it...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Did the groups hit in the same position relative to the POA? What would the composite group look like if you overlaid the targets?

John

All were centered, 1 1/2" high at a hundred. I never overlapped them. but POI looked about the same. Groups didn't shift enough to be evident.

Years ago, I bought a 40XB in .244. It came from Remington with an aggregate .38" target of three (3) shot groups, 60 gr. Sierra over 3031. That's the way they tested it. So, my thinking, if it's good enough for Remington, it'll do for me.

Now, if I had shot a 10 shot string, would it still be less than 1/2". I don't know, but think it would be pretty close. If I took the largest group, .64", as the standard, it would still be pretty good. And, my 4 wheeler shooting bench wasn't the best, just very handy.

DF

Actually is was three (5) shot groups. I found the factory target that accompanied the rifle. The groups don't overlap, so I don't know their protocol for shooting these groups.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Did the groups hit in the same position relative to the POA? What would the composite group look like if you overlaid the targets?

John

All were centered, 1 1/2" high at a hundred. I never overlapped them. but POI looked about the same. Groups didn't shift enough to be evident.

Years ago, I bought a 40XB in .244. It came from Remington with an aggregate .38" target of three (3) shot groups, 60 gr. Sierra over 3031. That's the way they tested it. So, my thinking, if it's good enough for Remington, it'll do for me.

Now, if I had shot a 10 shot string, would it still be less than 1/2". I don't know, but think it would be pretty close. If I took the largest group, .64", as the standard, it would still be pretty good. And, my 4 wheeler shooting bench wasn't the best, just very handy.

DF

Actually is was three (5) shot groups. I found the factory target that accompanied the rifle. The groups don't overlap, so I don't know their protocol for shooting these groups.

DF

Maybe they were using a leupold, because they are all over the place, in regards to poi. Have you noticed it doing the same thing when you shoot it? This is one of the reasons some of us shoot 10 shot groups. It gives a better representation of your true zero.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Every time a 10 shot group thread or a scope thread comes up there is a disconnect between the hunters and the hunter/shooters.

It is okay if the hunter/shooter has standards that are beyond necessary for hunting.

It is okay if the hunter don't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Every time a 10 shot group thread or a scope thread comes up there is a disconnect between the hunters and the hunter/shooters.

It is okay if the hunter/shooter has standards that are beyond necessary for hunting.

It is okay if the hunter don't.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Johnny, I'd prefer to be called a paper KING, not queen. grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Uncle johnny, I resemble that remark as well, until this year, and I bout burned clints barrel up on a coues deer!!😂😂 usually it's much less.😎👍

Last edited by Judman; 12/19/19.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

John, I do believe that buck is taking a nap...😂😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

458 members (1beaver_shooter, 280Ackleyrized, 2500HD, 3040Krag, 30Gibbs, 45 invisible), 1,695 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,046
Posts18,521,156
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.