-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Clean looking rifle DF. My go to 6.5-06 got rebarreled to 6.5-284 this year. Benchmark #2 in 8 twist. But looks about a twin.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Last 2 3 shot groups with 156 EOL have been centered on zero and stacked. .3" and .2". Will do one more next time I hit range and if 9 shot composite looks good will load up a batch for it.

Weighed mine, comes in at 8 pounds 12 ounces. Quite comfortable with it at that weight.

GB1

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is absolutely nothing wrong with three shot groups...never will be, so by all means continue to do so and go kill sh!(t)

It's when three shot groups are used to declare a rifle accurate the sh!(t) show starts....it's a big fk'n lie, three shots are meaningless.

Yes, I chased one hole three shot groups for 20 years and also wasted 20 years of time and components....

Dave

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
30338, that is hunting rig perfection.

RDW, tell it like it is. grin

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes a very nice hunting rig and a great cartridge choice too. i probably own to many 7mm-08`s but i plan on buying another one in a Browning BLR s.s. 7mm-08.i have always wished i had one in a Savage 99 too,maybe some day ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
give me a rifle that consistently prints a nice 3-shot group from a cold bore and I'm happy.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot three shot groups all the time. Great way to learn a new rifle , or new powder. If a rifle will not shoot a three shot group, it certainly will not shoot a 5, 7, or 10.

I will then go back and verify loads with 5 shot groups that showed acceptable groups and had good chronograph numbers of velocity and deviation.

As far as the bullets/headstamp statement. That is coming from a guy that worships at the BC altar. Any extra BC is a perceived huge advantage to him. If you do not worship at his alter, you a couch %&%#@%!

I will take shot placement every time! After 40 years of hunting and hundreds of big game animals. I do not recall an instance where bullet failure caused a rodeo. But I can think of a handful of times where shot placement caused more than a little consternation.

IMO, shot placement relegates all other discussion to secondary importance.

I am a hunter first and foremost, not a paper/steel punching range junkie. Although I enjoy shooting, and shoot 1000's of bullets/arrows every year. If I could stay proficient without all of that, I would spend that time scouting even more for upcoming seasons.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
give me a rifle that consistently prints a nice 3-shot group from a cold bore and I'm happy.

Me too.Absolutely nothing wrong with a three shot group from a cold bore that is repeatable.I rarely shoot more than once anyway,so a really tight repeatable three shot group is good enough for me.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Every time a 10 shot group thread or a scope thread comes up there is a disconnect between the hunters and the hunter/shooters.

It is okay if the hunter/shooter has standards that are beyond necessary for hunting.

It is okay if the hunter don't.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Amen from the back row.......

I have the luxury (not an ego/bragging thing by any means) of knowing what optics I like, bullets I like, what load development works for me, what bullets big game animals hate, what rifles I like, etc, etc etc, by actually using them. I don't need some paper queen (obviously not ctsmith) telling me that my rifle that consistently shoots very tight 3 shot groups will all of the sudden start sending bullets into oblivion somewhere (short of equipment failure quite obviously). That's a freaking joke. I have literally thousands of inches of mule deer, whitetail, and aoudad sheep that know otherwise.

Last edited by JGRaider; 12/20/19.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Johnny, I'm about to subject you to an audit. You know I'm a former CPA, I'm good at audits. Got to make sure you really are the one killing all those critters.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Did the groups hit in the same position relative to the POA? What would the composite group look like if you overlaid the targets?

John

All were centered, 1 1/2" high at a hundred. I never overlapped them. but POI looked about the same. Groups didn't shift enough to be evident.

Years ago, I bought a 40XB in .244. It came from Remington with an aggregate .38" target of three (3) shot groups, 60 gr. Sierra over 3031. That's the way they tested it. So, my thinking, if it's good enough for Remington, it'll do for me.

Now, if I had shot a 10 shot string, would it still be less than 1/2". I don't know, but think it would be pretty close. If I took the largest group, .64", as the standard, it would still be pretty good. And, my 4 wheeler shooting bench wasn't the best, just very handy.

DF

Actually is was three (5) shot groups. I found the factory target that accompanied the rifle. The groups don't overlap, so I don't know their protocol for shooting these groups.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Maybe they were using a leupold, because they are all over the place, in regards to poi. Have you noticed it doing the same thing when you shoot it? This is one of the reasons some of us shoot 10 shot groups. It gives a better representation of your true zero.

Possible they used a Leupold... blush

I used a 6-24x40 Bushnell Elite. It tracked pretty well. Notice how I reshaped the pistol grip, checkered and refinished it. It was a crow killing machine.

DF

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Johnny, I'm about to subject you to an audit. You know I'm a former CPA, I'm good at audits. Got to make sure you really are the one killing all those critters.

Whoa there Clint! I never said I was one shot and done on all of them, but one thing's for darn sure.....I've never shot more than 3 at any one deer that I can remember anyway. They've either died, or ran off into the wild blue yonder. Yes, I have missed, whiffed, swung and missed way more than once. I would love to have you come down and audit in the field though. I bet you and Greg make good pack mules.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by kingston
Every time a 10 shot group thread or a scope thread comes up there is a disconnect between the hunters and the hunter/shooters.

It is okay if the hunter/shooter has standards that are beyond necessary for hunting.

It is okay if the hunter don't.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Amen from the back row.......

I have the luxury (not an ego/bragging thing by any means) of knowing what optics I like, bullets I like, what load development works for me, what bullets big game animals hate, what rifles I like, etc, etc etc, by actually using them. I don't need some paper queen (obviously not ctsmith) telling me that my rifle that consistently shoots very tight 3 shot groups will all of the sudden start sending bullets into oblivion somewhere (short of equipment failure quite obviously). That's a freaking joke. I have literally thousands of inches of mule deer, whitetail, and aoudad sheep that know otherwise.

Truth

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Johnny, you know it has nothing to do with the numbers, just looking for a way to get on your hunting land.

Originally Posted by JGRaider

Whoa there Clint! I never said I was one shot and done on all of them, but one thing's for darn sure.....I've never shot more than 3 at any one deer that I can remember anyway. They've either died, or ran off into the wild blue yonder. Yes, I have missed, whiffed, swung and missed way more than once. I would love to have you come down and audit in the field though. I bet you and Greg make good pack mules.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Beaver10

John, I do believe that buck is taking a nap...😂😎

Dirt nap, maybe... laugh

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I own a .257 Weatherby, MkV Fibermark, that I have had for 35 or so years now, and that I absolutely prize. It has accounted for more big game than all my other rifles combined, over that time span.

Long ago, I worked up a load that shoots sub-MOA, whether I shoot 3 shots or 5, doesn't matter. It is sighted in to hit point of aim at 300 yards.

Nowadays, when it's time to take the .257 hunting, I will usually go to the range, set up on the 300 yard range, and shoot TWO rounds at a gong at 300. If those two shots are near the center of the gong, and within 3 inches of each other as they usually are, I go hunting. This rifle, and its barrel, are going to last me as long as I hunt big game, and I am not at all anxious to use up that barrel to verify something I have proved to myself for many years now.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess after it's all said and done,as long as you and your rifle can consistently shoot well and you can hit where you aim,you're going to bring some meat home when the opportunity presents itself .

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
This whole topic was created by gun scribes looking for something to write about.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EdM
This whole topic was created by gun scribes looking for something to write about.

grin

They not the only ones ruminating over this topic. Look at how many pages we've expended doing the same... blush

I think 10 shot groups may be important to target shooters who want to know what their equipment will do shooting strings, not one shot out of a cold bore. Hunters have different needs.

And, those clover leaf three shot groups sure do look good to some of us.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hunters interested in dialing to long ranges may also be interested in the better estimate of true group center that a larger sampling of shots can provide. Of course, if the rifle/load is taking too many shots to get a decent estimate then maybe it isn't the one for the job anyway.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It depends on the round, IMO.

I'd never shoot my 26 Nosler 10 times, even after letting it cool. It gets pretty hot after just 3..

Target shooters seem to use less intense rounds, guess that's why the Creed is so popular. A ten round string with that one probably not that big a deal.

I've put around 400 rounds thru my 26 Nos, finding out what it likes. It does show some throat changes thru the Hawkeye, but still shoots sub MOA. As long as it shoots that good, I'm not worried about it. I doubt I'll shoot it that much again. I'll hunt with the loads it likes, have other projects that take the pressure off this one.

DF

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 57 invisible), 18,808 guests, and 1,405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,855
Posts18,537,573
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
11 minutes ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.