Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I guess I'm too lazy to search....but do any PRS competitors use carbon wrapped barrels?? Seems like that would be a true test.

Very, very few. Makes zero sense when you are going through 2-3 barrels a year depending on what round you’re running.

When it’s a crapshoot if a CF barrel is going to keep a 5 shot group together without a 3-4” POI shift, then imagine where you’ll be in a 10-15 shot string in 90 seconds.

Last edited by joshf303; 12/19/19.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joshf303
I guess I'm too lazy to search....but do any PRS competitors use carbon wrapped barrels?? Seems like that would be a true test.

Very, very few. Makes zero sense when you are going through 2-3 barrels a year depending on what round you’re running.

When it’s a crapshoot if a CF barrel is going to keep a 5 shot group together without a 3-4” POI shift, then imagine where you’ll be in a 10-15 shot string in 90 seconds.

Thanks Josh. Kinda' what I figured. They never appealed to me....being hamstrung with a certain length and not being able to cut it down if needed. And the cost doesn't appeal to me, either. LOL.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can’t say 100% that a PCF pipe is a forever barrel. I haven’t got enough rounds through them....I have done enough gun play with my GAP 6.5 CM to say it’s an accurate .5’s or better pipe, dependent upon my trigger finger each time out.

I do builds based off a specific criteria that I have planned for each toy. My cf barrels are on builds for the purpose of carrying a lightweight rifle - not a 1000 round a year practice/play rig.

I have a 6.5 PRC set up for lightweight hunting with a PCF barrel...I won’t blaze this barrel...But, I liked the PRC chambering enough that I have a second build that ships tomorrow with a SS barrel just for shooting, practice, and play. This one, I will heat the barrel with high round counts.

Not to derail this thread...I’m very curious about Proof’s SS barrel offerings and how they shoot and hold up with high round counts.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
SS Proofs are solid Beaver....

Likewise I build/spec rifles for a certain purpose. All the CF barrels I have mentioned that needed to be replaced have all been on dedicated hunting rigs. The last two I referred to are LW 300 Win Mag builds with zero skimping on components. I build loads for customers hunting rifles just as I do a match rig, and they all have gone through the same vetting of variables before the barrel is pulled.

Not saying there hasn’t been good ones I’ve dealt with, cause there sure has been. Seems like a 50/50 shot on whether or not they are going to be consistent IME. But if the owner is good with 3 shot groups with complete cool downs in between, then I let them make the decision on what happens next.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N

Inconsistent stress relief in the cores and heat retention of the carbon fiber.[/quote]

Yeah the carbon fiber displacing heat never made sense to me, seems like it would insulate a thinner than regular contour barrel anyway. But I’m no engineer, so I’m probably wrong.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I shot most of last season (both matches and practice) with a Proof CF barreled 6.5 CM. It wasn’t because it gave me a competitive advantage. Your typical PRS rifle weighs an average of 20lbs including optic. It’s not uncommon for some to approach 30lbs.. The rifle and optic I shot weighed about 9 lbs. in a MCS-EH2 and about 10.5lbs. in a McMillan ADJ A-5 Thumbhole with an ArcaLok rail. The Proof held up well. While I haven’t specifically tested for it, CF barrels seem to dissipate heat better and cool down faster than conventional barrels. It also seems like I get less mirage off a CF barrel.

I’d love to see a weight restricted division to make lighter weight LR hunting rifles competitive. Even without it, PRS matches are a great place to test this type of equipment. They’re also a great venue to hone skills shooting from awkward field positions under time.

I considered building another Proof CF barreled rifle for 2020 with their Bull contour, but it’s only offered in 24” lengths. A 28” or 30” Bull contour CF barrel with a .243 bore might be kind of interesting.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Likewise I build/spec rifles for a certain purpose. All the CF barrels I have mentioned that needed to be replaced have all been on dedicated hunting rigs. The last two I referred to are LW 300 Win Mag builds with zero skimping on components. I build loads for customers hunting rifles just as I do a match rig, and they all have gone through the same vetting of variables before the barrel is pulled.

Not saying there hasn’t been good ones I’ve dealt with, cause there sure has been. Seems like a 50/50 shot on whether or not they are going to be consistent IME. But if the owner is good with 3 shot groups with complete cool downs in between, then I let them make the decision on what happens next.

Josh,
Were these CF wrapped barrels Proofs or someone else’s?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Josh. I have always been in the thought process that cut rifle barrels usually stress relief better than button. The proof is cut rifled.

I didn’t get past 500 rounds on my gap and I didn’t shoot 20 round strings but I did work it pretty hard and it shot amazing.
Wife’s 7-08 is showing the same traits.

I find the proof cools off faster than my steel barrels in 3b contours.

I also agree that I would have no use for a proof in a prs setting
As they cost is just to high per round -VS- steel.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Shane431

Military discount? Where do get this info? I've googled and can't find anything concrete and since they don't sell direct how do you get the military discount?

I got an invite.

And to the OP.....I'd agree with an 18" barrel instead of 16.5.....ETA: I see that's not an option for you. 16.5" it is.

Yep, 18" would have been my first choice.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m with you on this. You hear a lot about how well they make button rifles barrels these days. For the modest premium in price, I’m still buying cut rifled barrels.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by kingston

Josh,

3 different manufactures, Proof included.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fredIII
Josh. I have always been in the thought process that cut rifle barrels usually stress relief better than button. The proof is cut rifled.

I didn’t get past 500 rounds on my gap and I didn’t shoot 20 round strings but I did work it pretty hard and it shot amazing.
Wife’s 7-08 is showing the same traits.

I find the proof cools off faster than my steel barrels in 3b contours.

I also agree that I would have no use for a proof in a prs setting
As they cost is just to high per round -VS- steel.

OK. Serious question that I honestly do not know the answer. How do you tell if a carbon fiber wrapped barrel is cooler? Isn't it always cool on the exterior? I've never had one, obviously. I'd like to try one some day. And I typically take several rifles and alternate them between groups to allow the barrels to cool down some.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m with you on this. You hear a lot about how well they make button rifles barrels these days. For the modest premium in price, I’m still buying cut rifled barrels.

Same....Give me cut rifling or give me death!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Little dramatic 257? 😆. I believe I have bought at least four rifles from you and all had button rifles barrels. Of course .... maybe that’s why you sold them. Hahaha. That NULA 250AI is sure a favorite. Haven’t warmed up to the 6AI at all or the 25-284 much though. One day hopefully I will get caught up and use ALL my stuff.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Owning proof barrels as well as steel I am not sure how you check the temp on them. Valid question in my eyes. Mine get warm exterior but not hot. I have had two duds out five with proof. I am on pause with them currently and back to steel. Still building with proof but many don’t shoot enough to notice barrel behavior. No customer complaints to date just my personal one. Go figure. Bad luck maybe. One bad barrel is 7-08 1-9 a sendero chambered and gun smithed by Proof. Other is a 280AI sendero light. Smithed by kampfeld. Doubt the Smith was a problem in either. Point of impact shifts are the problem I am seeing as well as vertical stringing. These are hunting rifles with short shot strings and low use. Noticed during load development and verify dope. Appear great shooting a cold bore threee shot group from the bench.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tom Beckstrand at Guns & Ammo (who knows his sh*t) did a side-by-side comparison of steel (both fluted and unfiluted) vs. carbon fiber barrels. He did it by firing a specific number of rounds and then putting a thermometer in the chamber. The CF barrel, which was a Proof, cooled the fastest of the three tested.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Josh,

Proof is a one of a kind manufacturing process the resin they use is A development of the aerospace industry they have purchased exclusive rights to. They wrap cut rifle barrels which resist stress better than any other rifling process.
Adding any of the other wrapped barrels is not a comparison of any kind. A Pontiac Sunfire ain’t a Cadillac!
I own button barrels I will not even flute them because I don’t want to fûck up final heat treat from the manufacture.

Again I would not PRS a proof due to cost but a killing practice rig he’ll yes every time.

Last edited by fredIII; 12/20/19.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by fredIII

Josh,

Proof is a one of a kind manufacturing process the resin they use is A development of the aerospace industry they have purchased exclusive rights to. They wrap cut rifle barrels which resist stress better than any other rifling process.
Adding any of the other wrapped barrels is not a comparison of any kind. A Pontiac Sunfire ain’t a Cadillac!
I own button barrels I will not even flute them because I don’t want to fûck up final heat treat from the manufacture.

Again I would not PRS a proof due to cost but a killing practice rig he’ll yes every time.

I hear ya... and I get it I assure you. To each his own, I’m not here to tell anybody how to spend their money.

The other manufactures are held in high regard as well, but Proof numbers have been the highest. BUT that’s simply a reflection of the numbers as they are more “popular”.

All have been replaced with just a phone call to the manufacture from seasoned smiths. The feedback has been the same in that there is some difficulty in consistent stress relieving of the thin cores.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Buscchhhhhh....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Woodhits
Tom Beckstrand at Guns & Ammo (who knows his sh*t) did a side-by-side comparison of steel (both fluted and unfiluted) vs. carbon fiber barrels. He did it by firing a specific number of rounds and then putting a thermometer in the chamber. The CF barrel, which was a Proof, cooled the fastest of the three tested.

I guess that's the best way to do it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,431
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.