Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Since I started reloading in 2000, I've been a full-length resize kind of guy. I'm mostly a hunter that shoots and not the other way around. Then I started reading here and got hooked on the idea of Lee Collet dies. I tried them and all of a sudden I'm shooting much more accurately, so I start buying Lee Collet dies for all my regularly shot chamberings.

I've forgotten one thing: after you start neck sizing, when do you give the brass its next full-length resize?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mule Deer is kinda the Guru of reloading he will give the better answer. but in the world of bench shooting most no longer neck size its been proven full length sizing is actually more accurate in consistency . good luck and Merry Christmas,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
When the brass gets hard to chamber its time to size the shoulder/body back.

Many folks, me included don't do a full resize, we use a redding body die to size the shoulder back down and then use the collet die for the neck. Actually I don't wait for the brass to get hard to chamber but I do the body die and anneal on the 5th load. I have found that routine coupled with good brass and avoiding chasing the last little bit of velocity has left me with nearly infinite brass life, well at least really good brass life.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a gunwriter here, but since everyone seems to feel free to respond in this forum I'll go ahead and follow suit...any misstatements tend to be corrected by a bonafide genuine gunwriter anyway...

My own practice is to continue neck sizing only until I begin to notice undue or unusual effort required to lock the bolt down on a round. I'll make note of it and the next time I begin to process that batch of brass for a reload, I'll use a body die to bump the shoulder back two or three thousandths. A properly adjusted FL die will accomplish the task also.

Many say they never have to do this, but I often do myself. I suppose it may depend on the cartridge geometry, the rifle's chamber, the quality of the brass, maybe the pressures you're loading to, or a host of other factors such as the dies or other equipment.

That's my two cents worth, yours free.
smile

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by shaman
...I've forgotten one thing: after you start neck sizing, when do you give the brass its next full-length resize?

Lee Collet dies are great for hunting rifles and competition rifles. I know people who use both in competition. Many more use the LCD for their hunting rifles.

As Riverrider said, when you feel resistance to chambering a loaded cartridge. The shoulder has crept forward just enough that the cartridge becomes a press fit.

This next thing will start a lively debate, so I'll throw it out there and see where it goes. Forster makes a bushing bump die. It's a specialty product that uses a bushing to reduce the neck enough to hold the bullet without overdoing it. At the same time, it will bump back the shoulder just enough to chamber the cartridge with little or no resistance.

Personally, I don't bother with a bump die for my hunting rifles, but I have a few specialty rifles where I use them. I do not believe that they are necessary for any off the rack rifle. A Lee Collet die and a body die (or the FL sizing die you got with your die set) will do just fine.

Do a search on the Forster bushing bump die. You can judge for yourself whether you want to get one.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks all.

OK. Help me out with nother related questions:

How does a body die differ from a full-length sizing die?

If you remove the expander ball from a FL die and then run it through a Collet neck sizer, then what?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by shaman
Thanks all.

OK. Help me out with nother related questions:

How does a body die differ from a full-length sizing die?

If you remove the expander ball from a FL die and then run it through a Collet neck sizer, then what?

The FL die squeezes the neck, the body die doesn't.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
OK. That makes sense.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I use the body die on every firing, I like things consistent. I also anneal every firing for the same reason, but that wasn’t the question.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
if you want better dies use Redding dies and probably the best would be Redding full length bushing die ,guys that do well in competition use the better brand dies and Redding is one of them. Lee, RCBS and many other lower priced brand dies are fine for hunting rifles . maybe buy some of Mule Deer`s books on reloading and volumes 1 & 2 gun gack books also. myself when i shoot my competition rifles i always use a Redding full length bushing dies with the correct bushing for that cartridge and rifle ,small things in reloading make big differences in group size.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I only neck size, and I do like the Lee Collet dies for the purpose. We had a bit of a discussion on the subject a couple of years ago: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12428682/1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
...in the world of bench shooting most no longer neck size its been proven full length sizing is actually more accurate in consistency .

I have seen one video making this claim. I don't hang on any benchrest site often, so I don't know what they're saying or what the consensus is. I am not sure where the video was shot and I do not know which discipline the shooters were following but almost all of them told the interviewer they used FL sizing. I did not hear a single mention of whose FL dies they're using, though. Not knowing who this crowd really is, I take it all with a grain of salt. Next time there's a benchrest match at my club I may just take a little survey of my own.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dan_oz
I only neck size, and I do like the Lee Collet dies for the purpose. We had a bit of a discussion on the subject a couple of years ago: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12428682/1

For a hunting rifle, I'd use Lee collet dies as long as there are no chambering problems for the simple reason that along with getting very straight necks, no lube is required. That matters when you sit down to load 500 rounds of .223!

Don't be the darkness.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by RiverRider

For a hunting rifle, I'd use Lee collet dies as long as there are no chambering problems for the simple reason that along with getting very straight necks, no lube is required. That matters when you sit down to load 500 rounds of .223!

Absolutely. Faster and not as messy.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
And the Lee sizes the whole neck, the Redding does not.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
with respect your right new lower priced dies are fine to use for your hunting rifles. its just after 40 some years of reloading rifle ammo i have noticed i can reload and/or load new brass better with better equipment that shoots smaller groups. i used the lower priced reloading equipment for a couple of years ,until i started shooting bench rest competition ,the first time there i got a education on how and what reloading equipment should be used to shoot better groups . good luck and have a Merry Christmas,Pete53

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
with respect your right new lower priced dies are fine to use for your hunting rifles. its just after 40 some years of reloading rifle ammo i have noticed i can reload and/or load new brass better with better equipment that shoots smaller groups. i used the lower priced reloading equipment for a couple of years ,until i started shooting bench rest competition ,the first time there i got a education on how and what reloading equipment should be used to shoot better groups . good luck and have a Merry Christmas,Pete53

Are you saying that you have never seen Lee collet dies in the trailers or loading areas at a BR match? I hope so because I haven’t either.😃

Swifty
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Absolutely. Faster and not as messy.

$20 gets you 99% there with no mess or fuss. Life is good! Brass life is unbelievable. Accuracy is superb. What's not to like?

For $300, a lot of mess and fuss, and triple the reloading time you can improve your groups by 1/4" at 500 yrd's though. Neccassary if your a competition benchrest shooter, insane amount of work if your loading for a hunting rifle IMO.

If useing Redding bushing dies you also need to turn necks to realize your best concentricity because unlike the Lee Neck Die the bushing die sizes the neck from the outside rather than the inside.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many ways to skin the reloading cat, but FL sizing is the way to go for 90% of reloading in my book. Most serious benchrest guys are using custom FL bushing dies, or Redding FL bushing dies to size the brass everytime. With unprepped brass that hasn't had the necks turned enough to clean them up a Lee collet will help make your loads more concentric vs dragging a expander ball back thru it. That alone may be part of your accuracy gains, and it also could be that your getting less neck tension with the collet die. I prefer Forster FL dies myself.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
This thread is an example of what is right with shooting forums in general and the 24 hour campfire in particular. Thanks to all for providing excellent perspectives and information to those of us who are still learning.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 3,086 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,378
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.