Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'll keep this short. I have always wanted to go to Africa, by always I mean since I was 5 or 6 years old. One thing or another always in the way. I had finally decided, even started some pretty serious planning to go in 2022, actually taking my wife along as a combination 20th Anniversary/ Honeymoon we could not afford back then trip. That idea sort of fell flat in July '18 when we got the Stage 4 Breast Cancer diagnosis..... I lost her on May 5th of this year.

Africa was also the hunt that Dad and I had always talked about, even sort of made plans for as he built a .338 for himself, I have a .416 Taylor in the safe. But "life" kept getting in the way and while we had some good hunts together they were all USA or Canada. Then age caught up, and some other things more serious.... He turned 90 last February, He died July 22, one year to the day from when Jeni and I got her diagnosis.

Enough of that and I am not waiting around any longer. I AM GOING with M3Taco on the August Tuli Block Botswana Adventure. It will be my 1st trip over, and I already know that it will not be my last. It's been a long year and a half or so, finally found something Positive to try to focus on. Let the FUN begin!

And as M3 said we are 1/2 way to Gerhard's Package 4, who wants to join us?

Kevin

I have "CDO". It is just like "OCD" except the letters are in alphabetical order LIKE THEY SHOULD BE!
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Kevin:

It has been great corresponding and talking with you the past few weeks about finally turning a corner on the past and looking forward to going on this trip and I hope many more. I am truly looking forward to helping make this happen with you. Also, looking forward to sharing some great stories, a little good Scotch and a cigar or two around the braai.

Let me be the first to give you the official "YOU SUCK"!

M3

C
CWD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'm sorry for the incredible loss you and your family have experienced. I'm glad you are planning a trip to Africa. I made sure I stuck to my goal of hunting Africa when I turned 50. What are the dates you are looking at in 2022 ?

RLTW
NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanx M3, been waiting for years to have one of those aimed at me. Sure feel good!
No cigars for me but not opposed to an Adult Beverage. The stories and the memories in camp and around the fire at night are the real "reason" for going.

CWD
The August trip THIS year, 2020, to the Tuli Block with M3 as he has outlined in his the threads is what is planned now. Leave 8/12 return 8/26.
2022 would have been the "Anniversary Trip" with my wife. It is now a goal for a possible return, maybe with a Friend who is really more of a Brother than just friend and maybe even my Nephew. Who knows what we can cook up by then.

Kevin

I have "CDO". It is just like "OCD" except the letters are in alphabetical order LIKE THEY SHOULD BE!
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations, on your first Africa trip! It will be a life changing experience for you. Enjoy the whole experience from planning all the way through the excitement of receiving the trophies.

I have been twice, Namibia and Zambia. I would like to say I am done, but I find myself yearning for a return.... Mozambique, Botswanna, Zimbabwe, who knows.

BTW, YOU SUCK!

Arcus Venator
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kevin,

I hope you have the experience of your life - hard to imagine anyone more deserving of some good in their life.

Good luck in your planning!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I’m deeply sorry for your loss. I’m also very happy for you and wish you the best of luck! Its time to live!

Last edited by Gooch_McGrundle; 12/22/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My sincere condolences on your losses.

I hope you get enough people for your hunt package.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Prayers for your losses... I am glad you are seizing the day

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

CONGRATULATIONS!🎈🎉🎊🧨🍾

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kevin,
Sorry for your loss but envy you on your first trip. You will never be the same, enjoy the experience.
And yeah, YOU SUCK!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very happy for this thread, and what it means to you.

Life has been tough these past couple years. So glad you are able to turn a corner and see the sunshine!

Enjoy the planning and dreaming and scheming. My recent Cape Buffalo hunt was 50 years in the making and even after 12 days in the bush, it ended far too soon!

Tim

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by CRS
Congratulations, on your first Africa trip! It will be a life changing experience for you. Enjoy the whole experience from planning all the way through the excitement of receiving the trophies.

I have been twice, Namibia and Zambia. I would like to say I am done, but I find myself yearning for a return.... Mozambique, Botswanna, Zimbabwe, who knows.

BTW, YOU SUCK!

where in Zambia and with who and how did you like it....bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ho Hummmmm... tired

Who gets excited about Africa? confused

I DO! The first thing you'll do when you board the plane coming home is start planning your Next safari.

I can't express the joy I feel at your pending safari. It's something all of us who were lucky enough to get there share. I did my first on a brand new CC, and it took me three years to pay it off. My dad had always promised we'd go, but he never made it. You'll have memories to last 'til your last breath, and friends over there who value you as a client and hunter.

Congratulations,
L2S

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry to hear about losing your wife to cancer. but GFY (Good For You, of course!) on your upcoming trip. I would love to go some day, but no firm plans yet. maybe a retirement gift to myself.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Sorry for your losses. After my father passed away unexpectedly, I realized that I needed to prioritize some of these trips or I would never go. I went the following year. Enjoy your trip and post some pics. If you’re like many of us, you’ll be thinking about the next trip on the flight home.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Your losses, and your mentioning life getting in the way are all prime examples of why you need to go to Africa whenever you possibly can. I cant tell you how many friends I have that " always wanted to go someday" then got old sitting on a pile of money. Or how many driving a $50K pickup bemoaning the fact that they can't afford to go...
It is all about priorities...if you want it badly enough, you will go do it . Period.

I drove a 22 year old pickup that I bought for $1500 for years....the difference between that and a new truck was FOUR safaris.

And I went on them! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Your losses, and your mentioning life getting in the way are all prime examples of why you need to go to Africa whenever you possibly can. I cant tell you how many friends I have that " always wanted to go someday" then got old sitting on a pile of money. Or how many driving a $50K pickup bemoaning the fact that they can't afford to go.
It is all about priorities...if you want it badly enough, you will go do it . Period.

laugh

ingwe, you are 100% spot on! of course you can replace Africa with any goal in life.

Chuckbuster, Very excited for you to realize one of your dreams. Africa will change you, and hopefully heal. Please keep us updated on your preparations.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanx to everyone for the thoughts and support.

One question though...
Several have said that the 1st thing I was likely to do when I got on the airplane headed home would be to start planning the next trip. Do I really have to wait that long? Asking because I drove 4 hours (round trip) and bought dinner for my Nephew and his girl yesterday just to tell them to start saving up so they can go with me when I return in 2022.....

I am outta control already! Is there a program or something I should consider? You know one of those "Hi, I'm Kevin......" type things

Thanx again
KDK

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sorry Kevin. Hate to break the news to you but...YOUR SCREWED! laugh grin No programs, no cure once "bitten" by Africa!

Like you, I had always dreamed of going to Africa. Ended up going to a couple countries on the continent while in the military and that only reinforced by desire to hunt ummmm...four legged animals. My big regret is I didn't do it SOONER in my life.

The only thing that might "put you off" on the whole thing is IF your first trip is a disaster. I will promise you this. I will do everything I can to make sure that doesn't happen!! We need more of us in the insane asylum!! crazy wink grin

Hope you got the copy of the updated planning guide I emailed to you. It will help keep you occupied and getting things sorted out as we go along.

I am seriously looking forward to getting you there. It's guys like you is why I do this. I love taking anyone who wants to go over but, it's helping make the first trip happen for a "new guy" that's the most rewarding for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (1badf350, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,097
Posts18,483,038
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.