Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The Shilen is a good unit. It’s still an enclosed box and prone to having issues during freezing wet weather, extremely dusty conditions, or when oil and grease inside get dried out and shellacked up. But it does lack the floating connector that the Walker had.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Can't remember the last time I actually used a safety on any of my Remingtons.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well I have not had an issue with mine, I was only the second owner as far as I know and I do not know if it was untouched, but I did adjust it and during my early testing after adjustment I actually chipped the buttstock trying to see if it would go off, never did, and to this day no issue, I played all night trying it and could not get it to fail, I do keep it clean, and dry in trigger area, it was an ADL stock in 25/06 which I eventually put a synthetic stock on.
But as was said I will always use safe handling procedures and not trust any safety 100%

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I had heard all of this for years and it never happened to me...until it did. At least mine was unloaded. Timney was about 12 miles from my house so I did the smart thing.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I had it happen on a Savage tactical 25-06.

IC B2

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IMR4350
I have two 700s that I have been shooting for over thirty years. I've never had any issues with either trigger but I keep hearing all these horror stories about the Walker trigger. About a year ago I installed Trigger Tech triggers in both rifles just so I can sleep better at night.

I also watched that CBS story on Remington and they had John Walker himself the guy that designed the 700 saying in his own words that the trigger is defective. I did not notice anybody holding a gun to his head.

Finally for good measure I had Redneck here on the Fire resecure the bolt handles on both rifles. Yes I am paranoid.

I have a Model 700 that I bought new in 1979, and for 25 years it was my only deer rifle. It's been fired countless times, and never once an issue. The trigger pull on it was adjusted, and the rifle has been kept clean. It's been a safe queen for quite a few years now, but if I was going to start shooting it again, I would replace the trigger.

I am now paranoid too about the trigger thing too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I had an out of the box

How is it that Sako,Tikka, Winchester, Ruger and a host of others never had this problem?

They never sold as many rifles.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I once had a Weatherby/Howa that would fire if sometimes if it was on its side and the safety pushed. I was not so much into working on guns then and took it to a Smith and then traded it off for a 700......

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Are there instances of misfires in triggers that have not been adjusted?

Yes, I bought a 660 350 mag from a neighbor. He pulled it out of his gun cabinet to show me worked the bolt, put the safety on, and the trigger released when he put the safety to fire. He contacted Remington and they gave him a shipping label to a repair center. He had Remington fix the trigger before he sold it to me.

the 660 had a recall on it by remington. when i got mine, a timney was used. also the bedding compound had glued the barrel to the wood and it was a pain in the azz to separate, that was replaced, along with a new limbsaver kick pad, and a metal trigger housing.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
Can't remember the last time I actually used a safety on any of my Remingtons.

i was sitting here reading the comments, and the above is probably what has saved my azz.
i probably have a half dozen or more remingtons, and have neve used a safety, or carried on a loaded chamber.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Honestly, the malfunction, which has nothing at all to do with the presence of a sear connector, is easy to diagnose, easy to anticipate, easy to correct.
The Shilen trigger is, essentially, a Remington without the sear connector. It is a good trigger but some are difficult to make creep free without some honing. GD

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Keep em clean and you'll have no problems. So simple and like the Leupold lies impossible to get across to haters.

If you can' shoot with a 3 lb trigger, you need training.

Read and learn:

Adjusting a Remington 700 trigger is quite simple. Be careful as too light a trigger pull can be quite dangerous. Do not adjust a 700 trigger so low that it will go off when you do not intend it to. Remember, you do not have as much control with gloves on. After adjusting a trigger, you want to slam the but of the rifle down on the ground several times while c0cked with the safety off (and no round in the chamber) to make sure that the trigger the sear will not release, allowing the pin to fall and set off a round. Most will want a trigger to be three pounds or more for safety.

Now if you've still decided to tackle adjusting your 700 trigger here is how you do it. Check to make sure the chamber is empty before anything else. You'll want to gather some penetrating oil, an Allen wrench set, precision screwdriver, and Elmer's glue. I also recommend a trigger scale to make things as accurate and safe as possible.

First thing, remove your barreled action from the stock. Use a 5/32" Allen/hex wrench. Remove the front screw three-fourths of the way. Then remove the rear screw all the way. Make sure you remember that the long screw goes in the tang area, and the short one goes in front of the receiver.

After the barreled action is out, use a penetrating oil to soak the three trigger screws. If the trigger has never been touched before, there will be a sealant on the screws. Simply scrape it off before applying the oil. Let the oil soak 10 minutes or so. You'll then want to turn the screws in and out three or four times so that you make sure there is no binding.

You will then want to back out all three trigger screws two or three turns, careful not to back them out so far the springs fall out of place. You simply want to take the tension off the internal springs. You will then work the bolt. Slowly start turning the sear engagement screw, located on the back side of the trigger, in until the sear releases and the firing pin drops. Back it out exactly one half a turn.

Next, the over-travel will need adjusted. This screw is located on the top front of the trigger above the pull-weight screw. Do not rec0ck the rifle. You will want to turn it inward until you feel resistance. When properly adjusted, the slop will be taken out of the trigger and it will move back and forth very little. Do not over tighten. Though the travel will be reduced, the pull weight will not be able to be adjusted. If not turned in enough, the pull can be adjusted lighter, but it will be very sloppy and unpredictable.

You are now ready to rec0ck the gun. Use the trigger scale and see how heavy the weight is and if its to your liking. If not you will have to adjust the pull-weight screw, below the over-travel screw. Inward increases the weight and outward lightens it. Trial and error will get it to the point that is to your liking. As soon as its to your liking, you will want to try it approximately 20 times. Work the bolt quickly as if you were going to in the field. This will show you if the sear will accidentally release or not. This could be disastrous. You'll want to make sure the pull-weight is consistent and without slop or excessive over/under-travel. You'll shoot better groups with a 3 lb trigger that is consistent rather than a 1 lb trigger that isn't.

After you are convinced everything is set where it should be, take the Elmer's glue and put a few drops over the screws. I use Elmer's because it will stop them from creeping out of adjustment over time but will be easy to remove if you so wish to change your weight for a different application later on. Finger nail polish and lock-tight compounds are more difficult to remove, but effective. Allow the glue to dry fifteen minutes.

You'll then want to put the thing back together. Slide the barreled action back into the stock. Put in the front (short) screw first and turn in half way. Then put in the tang screw and turn in all the way tightly. Then turn the front screw the rest of the way. If you have an HS stock, you'll want to put them in 65 in-lbs. If you have a wooden stock, many have different ideas on how tight to turn them, but that is not a discussion for here and now. After all is tight, check the trigger pull for safety against ADs. I slam the butt stock of the c0cked rifle down on the floor 10 times or so to make sure it won't go off.

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 3040HighWall
Keep em clean and you'll have no problems. So simple and like the Leupold lies impossible to get across to haters.

Read and learn:

Adjusting a Remington 700 trigger is quite simple. Be careful as too light a trigger pull can be quite dangerous. Do not adjust a 700 trigger so low that it will go off when you do not intend it to. Remember, you do not have as much control with gloves on. After adjusting a trigger, you want to slam the but of the rifle down on the ground several times while c0cked with the safety off (and no round in the chamber) to make sure that the trigger the sear will not release, allowing the pin to fall and set off a round. Most will want a trigger to be three pounds or more for safety.

Now if you've still decided to tackle adjusting your 700 trigger here is how you do it. Check to make sure the chamber is empty before anything else. You'll want to gather some penetrating oil, an Allen wrench set, precision screwdriver, and Elmer's glue. I also recommend a trigger scale to make things as accurate and safe as possible.

First thing, remove your barreled action from the stock. Use a 5/32" Allen/hex wrench. Remove the front screw three-fourths of the way. Then remove the rear screw all the way. Make sure you remember that the long screw goes in the tang area, and the short one goes in front of the receiver.

After the barreled action is out, use a penetrating oil to soak the three trigger screws. If the trigger has never been touched before, there will be a sealant on the screws. Simply scrape it off before applying the oil. Let the oil soak 10 minutes or so. You'll then want to turn the screws in and out three or four times so that you make sure there is no binding.

You will then want to back out all three trigger screws two or three turns, careful not to back them out so far the springs fall out of place. You simply want to take the tension off the internal springs. You will then work the bolt. Slowly start turning the sear engagement screw, located on the back side of the trigger, in until the sear releases and the firing pin drops. Back it out exactly one half a turn.

Next, the over-travel will need adjusted. This screw is located on the top front of the trigger above the pull-weight screw. Do not rec0ck the rifle. You will want to turn it inward until you feel resistance. When properly adjusted, the slop will be taken out of the trigger and it will move back and forth very little. Do not over tighten. Though the travel will be reduced, the pull weight will not be able to be adjusted. If not turned in enough, the pull can be adjusted lighter, but it will be very sloppy and unpredictable.

You are now ready to rec0ck the gun. Use the trigger scale and see how heavy the weight is and if its to your liking. If not you will have to adjust the pull-weight screw, below the over-travel screw. Inward increases the weight and outward lightens it. Trial and error will get it to the point that is to your liking. As soon as its to your liking, you will want to try it approximately 20 times. Work the bolt quickly as if you were going to in the field. This will show you if the sear will accidentally release or not. This could be disastrous. You'll want to make sure the pull-weight is consistent and without slop or excessive over/under-travel. You'll shoot better groups with a 3 lb trigger that is consistent rather than a 1 lb trigger that isn't.

After you are convinced everything is set where it should be, take the Elmer's glue and put a few drops over the screws. I use Elmer's because it will stop them from creeping out of adjustment over time but will be easy to remove if you so wish to change your weight for a different application later on. Finger nail polish and lock-tight compounds are more difficult to remove, but effective. Allow the glue to dry fifteen minutes.

You'll then want to put the thing back together. Slide the barreled action back into the stock. Put in the front (short) screw first and turn in half way. Then put in the tang screw and turn in all the way tightly. Then turn the front screw the rest of the way. If you have an HS stock, you'll want to put them in 65 in-lbs. If you have a wooden stock, many have different ideas on how tight to turn them, but that is not a discussion for here and now. After all is tight, check the trigger pull for safety against ADs. I slam the butt stock of the c0cked rifle down on the floor 10 times or so to make sure it won't go off.

Which troll are you?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Larry "Douchbag" Root.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Theeck
Jeez, you are a little slow on the uptake. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

I have never had a problem with a Remington trigger but I have never adjusted one either. I did put a Timney trigger on one and it has been good.

This is the kind of post that has ruined the campfire. A guy writes to share his good experience and it takes just a few replies for someone to post a smart aleck insult “you are a little slow”. Completely uncalled for and added nothing to the discussion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by headhunter130
Post means nothing since you adjusted the trigger.

Why, are you saying you know how to adjust a trigger to make it fire when the safety is released?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by McInnis
Originally Posted by Theeck
Jeez, you are a little slow on the uptake. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

I have never had a problem with a Remington trigger but I have never adjusted one either. I did put a Timney trigger on one and it has been good.

This is the kind of post that has ruined the campfire. A guy writes to share his good experience and it takes just a few replies for someone to post a smart aleck insult “you are a little slow”. Completely uncalled for and added nothing to the discussion.

Truth!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder why we never hear from Winchester and Ruger owners who adjust their own triggers, only to have them fire on safety release. Is it out of the realm to have a trigger that can be adjusted by the gun savvy, and not have it fire without pulling the trigger?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now down to a pair of M700s. The 25-06 ADL walnut bought used in 1978 and an ADL synthetic in 223, that I bought used about ten years ago. The 25-06 has the original trigger in it and old enough, that the safety has to be pushed off, to open the bolt.

Cleaned and adjusted that trigger when I bought it, resealed the adjustments w/nail polish. Hasn't been touched since, other than the occasional cleaning with lighter fluid and re-lube with a drop of RemOil. Has never misfired once when pushing the safety off. Haven't tested it with a trigger pull device, would guess it's about 3lbs, zero creep.

The 223 had a Timney installed when I bought it. Also fairly light, zero creep. This one can have the bolt opened with the safety engaged. No misfires so far. Out of long habit, never point either rifle at anything other than the ground, especally when pushing the safety off to unload the 25-06..

Maybe 30 years ago, a buddy blew a hole through the floor of my truck with his M700 6mm Varminter. Chuck hunting, loaded a round, closed the bolt as he was getting out of the truck. Muzzle still on truck floor. It went boom as he was lifting the rifle out of the truck. Not sure exactly what happened, whether the trigger had contacted a raised fold in the loose blanket on the seat, or it just went off on its own? He swore he never touched the trigger.

Only dumb thing he'd ever done, in the long tenure of our association. Never again tried to bolt a round until out of a vehicle. Hole in the floor and a new floor mat, worth having something to torture that poor bastard about, the rest of his life.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 3040HighWall

Read and learn:

"Leupold lies"

Laffing....

Doug??? Is that you??

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (44mc, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 35, 69sportfury, 14 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.