Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by salmonhead
DIY pretty much anywhere from gillette to Casper to Rawlings. Its crawling with goats. Draw a tag, buy a leftover and go cover some ground. Fun hunting.

You’re operating on antiquated information. The days of leftover tags are pretty much over. And the days of leftover tags in areas with any amount of public land are long gone.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I think it would be best to go with an outfitter since you're taking your wife for your anniversary. As others have said, you just can't get a license anymore in an area with lots of public land, unless you have several preference points. If I were paying an outfitter, I'd go in the Northeast, where there are lots of leftover tags and you could buy up to six tags each.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tag

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
tag

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by bdan68
I think it would be best to go with an outfitter since you're taking your wife for your anniversary. As others have said, you just can't get a license anymore in an area with lots of public land, unless you have several preference points. If I were paying an outfitter, I'd go in the Northeast, where there are lots of leftover tags and you could buy up to six tags each.

Agreed.

The OP hasn't commented since his original post. Probably not interested anymore.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
IC B2

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
There a lot of folks watching this with interest, who really appreciate the great input from folks in the know.

Thanks to all who have posted and those who will post, I have found this interesting and illuminating. It takes an incredibly long time to draw an antelope tag in Alberta and I am looking to expand my antelope opportunities in my retirement.

Merry Christmas to all.

GRF

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Still interested and have contacted a couple of the recommended outfitters. Yes, an outfitter is the way I will go because of time constraints and the fact that it is an anniversary present. Thank you all for your time and recommendations. Hopefully I will be able to report back this Fall.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by GRF
There a lot of folks watching this with interest, who really appreciate the great input from folks in the know.

Thanks to all who have posted and those who will post, I have found this interesting and illuminating. It takes an incredibly long time to draw an antelope tag in Alberta and I am looking to expand my antelope opportunities in my retirement.

Merry Christmas to all.

GRF

PM sent

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by wytex
You won't find many residents recc. SNS. The owner is very pro outfitter welfare in our state.

+1 SNS is a DIY hunter's worst enemy.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
You won't find many residents recc. SNS. The owner is very pro outfitter welfare in our state.

What is SNS?

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by albertadave
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

What is SNS?

S-N-S Outfitters. Sy Gilliam owner. He's the spokesperson for outfitter welfare, wants to be able to sell landowner tags to the highest bidder etc.etc. He's a State legislator and G&F commissioner brown-noser.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice read and info. I’m planning on taking my kids this year or next on a DIY hunt in WY. Time is the biggest obstacle. We’ll each have 5 points or more. I’d prefer a deer / antelope hunt since we have the points for both. Trophy animal is a plus but not needed.
Recommendations appreciated.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
I'm tagging in as well. A friend and I are starting to plan for this hunt as well, DIY. Gonna plan for 5 days on the ground btwn travel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
Looking to take my wife on an antelope hunt for our 40 th. anniversary. Not looking for trophies, just a good hunt. Any recommendations ?

Call TJ at BearTrackOutfitters in Buffalo. we’ve shot nice goats every time we’ve hunted with them.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by bamagun01
Nice read and info. I’m planning on taking my kids this year or next on a DIY hunt in WY. Time is the biggest obstacle. We’ll each have 5 points or more. I’d prefer a deer / antelope hunt since we have the points for both. Trophy animal is a plus but not needed.
Recommendations appreciated.

Lots of great areas for your PP and no guide needed. Plenty of region tags for deer that would be a good hunt as well. The combo is doable but you may need more days for the deer.
No use in wasting those pronghorn PP without taking a nice buck. It will be easier to get a good pronghorn than a nice mule deer , I'm talking mature bucks either species.
You will save a ton by going DIY and have the pride on knowing you didn't need the help of an outfitter to get your animals. You'll see plenty of bucks, pronghorn, in a 5+PP area and pressure will depend on when you come out, avoid opening week.
Best mule deer hunting is late Oct for pre rut bucks showing up with doe groups.
An antelope only trip would leave time for fishing or bird hunting as well. Good fun for the kids.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,204
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.