T O A D ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Scenarshooter

As busy as you are, thanks for posting your pictures.
By the way, do you have any idea how many bears Bill Byle killed with his 22/250?

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
My personal best Mule deer I killed was my first, I was with my best friend who is still my best friend, we were hunting the Tonto, he missed a monster the day before with a savage 300 open sights, I killed one the next morning with a savage 99 in 308 with a redfield 4x scope, running full out on a lower ridge about 250 yds on my hind feet, spined him, drt right there. First deer for either of us, his dad showed up in camp when we had got back, we packed it out whole wanting to hang it and show it off, it was a bitch with a canyon between us and the jeep. His dad made a big deal of it, this from a man that killed big bucks in the Kaibab back when tags were bought at the sports store and good for state wide. Back then pictures weren't taken and after butchering the heads were tossed out by the corrals for the dogs to haul off and chew on in the citrus groves. Some of the heads those oldtimers would toss away from the Kaibab would make todays trophy hunting elites cry, they were gnarly and huge. My buck was big, I had bragging rights that year... and it ate well... the memory is enough.

Kent

Last edited by krp; 12/21/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Spectacular!

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a good bit that can be learned from the images this thread has collected.

One is, some of the members here have bagged some amazing trophy's over their life times.

A big thing is learning what makes an image a great image and there are some good examples here to take note of.

You only get the chance once to get these photos, seize the moment, take your time and pay close attention to the composure of the images posted here and the ones you take.

There are key things that turn what could have ended up being just another hunting photo into an amazing image.

It can take some time to set the stage for images once an animal is down.

I've never seen blood add quality to a hunting photo, I kick it out, cover it up or whatever it takes to be sure it doesn't show.
I take photos before I gut, a collapsed body makes an animal look smaller and dead...
If a tongue is dangling out of the mouth and I can't stuff it back in before the photos, I cut it off.

Let the animal take center stage.
A hunter positioning himself low and behind a downed animal seems to complement an image well.
Just don't get so far behind them that you are obviously stretching out to hold a horn.

Obviously if there is a awesome scenic view to be had get to where it shows well, anything is fair, you can move and manipulate an animal if you need to in order to show you were on that incredible ridge or mountain top.

Even in thick cover you need to look around and see what makes the best background, the image should tell the story of the hunt, if you were in thick schit, let it show.... I've knocked a little brush outta the way between the camera and the animal so I could back off enough to gather more background.

It'd be nice to hear a few tips from some of you guys...you know who you are, you guys didn't get all those awesome photos by chance...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My best shot on a critter... quartering away, 200 yards, running flat out. (that's the exit)

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by krp
My personal best Mule deer I killed was my first, I was with my best friend who is still my best friend, we were hunting the Tonto, he missed a monster the day before with a savage 300 open sights, I killed one the next morning with a savage 99 in 308 with a redfield 4x scope, running full out on a lower ridge about 250 yds on my hind feet, spined him, drt right there. First deer for either of us, his dad showed up in camp when we had got back, we packed it out whole wanting to hang it and show it off, it was a bitch with a canyon between us and the jeep. His dad made a big deal of it, this from a man that killed big bucks in the Kaibab back when tags were bought at the sports store and good for state wide. Back then pictures weren't taken and after butchering the heads were tossed out by the corrals for the dogs to haul off and chew on in the citrus groves. Some of the heads those oldtimers would toss away from the Kaibab would make todays trophy hunting elites cry, they were gnarly and huge. My buck was big, I had bragging rights that year... and it ate well... the memory is enough.

Kent

Yep, Btdt. Grew up without money to waste on cameras or developing for pics- old school. A box of 30-30 was designed to last several years. Cameras were for family gatherings.

I thank God for cell phones now and wish we would have had them back then. In college at UT Austin in the Darrel Royal days there was a little gas station a hunter had with a few old B&W fuzzy picks on the wall of 40 inch bucks which resembled elk. Iirc from Colorado in the good old days.

Last edited by jaguartx; 12/22/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That was a toad striper, Jaguartx. I believe you've got me beat in the big striper category.

Once went to a deer hunting seminar and one of the classes was how to take quality photos of harvested game. He said to always stuff the tongue back in, try to avoid (or minimize) blood, and he had these little contact lenses for deer eyeballs so they don't look so glazed over.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
[Linked Image]

JAGUARTX’s Monster Mule Deer.

Being held by Clayton Williams.

Clayton has shot a few big game animals over the years.. with all due respect, nobody here can compete with that guy.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Montana Bull, 4 of my best archery long Island bucks and a 612 yd head shot on a woodchuck with my 6mm br.
img]https://i.imgur.com/JCA4XhK.jpg[/img][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by roundoak

Awesome photo!

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pic of my best dog with my only quadruple on pheasants this year.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by Girlhunter
In keeping with the trapping theme

When I think about Fieldgrade, this is the way I picture his house.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wife's...

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Roger, what'd you find there?

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Roger, what'd you find there?

candlefish

or moonpinch,
smile

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Roundoak Great pic!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,136 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,664
Posts18,493,671
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.