Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Tejano
I would really go after it with JB or even 0000 steel wool + JB. I would also consider Tubbs Final finish or other fire lap. That would knock the rust out and smooth up those tool marks. A real hand lapping wouldn't hurt either but risky doing it from the muzzle end with out a bore guide so that is out.

One of the advantages of the 336 is that the bolt can be pulled and the bore worked from the action side, just like a bolt action. It's pretty simple to do actually. But the Tubbs final finish isn't a bad way to go either. A lot easier to do than hand lapping.

If it's rust there is a good product for that called EvapoRust, but not without some risk since it will remove blueing as well. Some simple preventive measures and care would prevent that.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I just got a Teslong too.It is a great tool and well worth having one especially if you have a bunch of rifles.I found one of my rifles is about toast.Running those hot loads on a 300 Win Mag will really do some damage.Another rifle has a lot of grooves the last two inches of the barrel.Waiting to hear back from the warranty center on that one.Some of the other rifles have quite a bit of copper.I cleaned those up rather quickly with JB paste on a patch wrapped around a brush.They cleaned up nice with no copper now.Another thing I noticed was how nice the throats on my 308's and 30-06's looked compared to my 7mags and 300 mags.Burning around 70-80grs of powder sure is a lot harder on the throats of those magnum rifles.The 308's and 30-06's with about the same amount of rounds,throats are still beautiful with no erosion.That 336 would clean up quick with JB paste.Some of mine were way worse than that.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by wink_man
So I just recently came upon a 1960 vintage Marlin 336 in .35 Remington, as I posted in the Marlin 336 forum the other day. Gun is pristine, 3 minor scratches in the wood and blueing is like 98%. Doesn't look like it was hardly used, and how much can a eastern woods rifle be shot, I mean sight in in, take a few shots each year you hunt to make sure it held zero, and hopefully get a shot or 2 at a deer. The rifle looks more like it sat for years in a closet.

So I figured to give it a thorough cleaning today, and coincidentally, my son gave me an early Christmas present of a Teslong borescope.

First 3 patches on the top left are a dry patch to push the loose crud out, and then 2 soaked in Hoppes #9. Let it sit for 20 minutes, then ten strokes with the bore brush soaked in the same, and sit for another 20 minutes. then the lower left 3 patches and it looks decent. A few dry patches, then the first patch on the right, soaked in Shooters Choice and let it sit in the barrel for 20 minutes, followed by 20 strokes in & out with the bore brush followed by 3 wet patches with the Shooters Choice, and I can't find a bit of dirt or "blue" on the last patch so I say to myself, this bore is immaculate, there isn't any copper in there.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

So I figured I'd prove to myself how well I can clean a gun and got the borescope out and got it working and holy chit, I'd have never believed there could be any copper in that bore and I was WRONG again, LMAO.

Plenty of copper in there, despite the fact I'm sure the gun has a low round count.
So my question is, is it that Shooters Choice not a strong enough copper remover and I need something stronger like Montana Extreme, or is it going to require JB bore paste to get this copper out?

How does it shoot?

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Now that you have a borescope I would give the JB Compound treatment and then scope it again and see what the results are.

WipeOut, PatchOut, or Montana Xtreme work a lot faster than the Shooters Choice I used for years

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
This ^^^^^^

The other thing you might do is install Dyna Bore-Coat. Have seen it help older bores pretty pitted from the days of corrosive primers, even with cast bullets.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Which Teslong did you get, the semi-rigid cable type or the new rigid rod type? The rod unit looks like a winner.
Teslong bore scope

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
This is some of the things I found in my rifles
Copper
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

300 Win Mag throat erosion

300WSM with no freebore showing carbon build up or erosion right up to where the leads start.I wonder if this one could be throated a little longer and clean up this problem

7mag after about a hundred rounds is already showing some burn

PacNor Barrel

Last edited by baldhunter; 12/24/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
That is rust in the Marlin barrel, not bad either.

Two products I like better than JB that I have used for 30 years:

a. Montana Extreme copper cream:
https://www.amazon.com/Montana-X-Treme-Copper-Cream-Bottle/dp/B008P8D2KO

Go ahead and get several bottles.

b. if the bore is very badly carbon or copper fouled, the next step up in very mild abrasive is:

Flitz bore cleaner

https://www.amazon.com/Flitz-Gun-Bore-Cleaner-Bottle/dp/B005OSOMKM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2YWCKD3GP5IYD&dchild=1&keywords=flitz+bore+cleaner&qid=1577241210&sprefix=Flitz+bore+cleaner%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-3

For a penetrating oil that I have had better luck with than Kroil, try a product called Free All, you will become a True Believer real quick!

https://www.amazon.com/Gasoila-Free...s=Free+All&qid=1577241300&sr=8-2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by keith
That is rust in the Marlin barrel, not bad either.

Two products I like better than JB that I have used for 30 years:

a. Montana Extreme copper cream:
https://www.amazon.com/Montana-X-Treme-Copper-Cream-Bottle/dp/B008P8D2KO

Why do you like Copper Cream better than JB Compound?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Copper

That is some pretty copper. Nice and even too.

I have a friend with a Hawkeye and have had the opportunity to look down a number of bbls recently, including my own. He says almost all barrels will start showing some crackling with a few hundreds rounds or so.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Bald hunter,

Go look at the PTG (Pacific Tool and Gauge) Uni-throater kit, you can use it to touch up that no freebore throat.

And that cooper plated barrel - WOW...

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
This ^^^^^^

The other thing you might do is install Dyna Bore-Coat. Have seen it help older bores pretty pitted from the days of corrosive primers, even with cast bullets.

Yes, looking into it now, I just put in an order to Midsouth for the needed stuff, and have Dyna Bore-Coat in the frig. Bore is really not to bad for a 59 year old gun.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Which Teslong did you get, the semi-rigid cable type or the new rigid rod type? The rod unit looks like a winner.
Teslong bore scope

Steve,
I got the one without the rod, the semi rigid cable.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
This I thought was pretty neat too. This is the gas port hole in the barrel of my 7400 Jamomatic(which functions flawlessly by the way). The hole must have slightly rough edges, as you can see some fuzz from the patches that caught on the edge.

Garry
Trump won !!!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Those are some good images from a $50 borescope.
Never figured my uses would justify getting one, starting to rethink that.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Copper

That is some pretty copper. Nice and even too.

I have a friend with a Hawkeye and have had the opportunity to look down a number of bbls recently, including my own. He says almost all barrels will start showing some crackling with a few hundreds rounds or so.

For a $50 borescope I'm impressed with the Teslong.It really opened my eyes.It's great for checking wear and fouling for sure.I had a guy at the range tell me,"keep the velocity under 3000fps and the barrel will last a long time".After checking my 308's and 30-06's and comparing them to my magnums,I think he may be right.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

One thing about having that much copper in the bore - stick with one kind of bullet, different types of copper don’t always blend well, and you end up with super nasty build up.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Those are some good images from a $50 borescope.
Never figured my uses would justify getting one, starting to rethink that.

Same here. It didn't bother me to spend the money for the bore scope, I figured I clean the guns thoroughly each time I use them and the patches come out clean when I'm done so it's an extra gadget I just don't want to be bothered with. And I don't go through a lot of ammo when I do shoot, I'm basically just an eastern deer hunter. Well some of the stuff I found definitely surprised me, even on a few guns that are new unfired(and I cleaned).

Garry
Trump won !!!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

One thing about having that much copper in the bore - stick with one kind of bullet, different types of copper don’t always blend well, and you end up with super nasty build up.

I've only shot 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and just a few 160gr Accubonds.Rifle shoots really well and I keep it clean,so I thought.It has around a hundred rounds or so through it now.It's going to get a little JB paste and that should clean it right up.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I really like my Teslong, saved me from a rifle that I was about to buy, the Teslong let me look at the bore. Leade was toast. an old Schultz and Larson in 7X61. Too many hot loads I guess. $47 is what I paid, very cheap at that price.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,804 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,967
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.