Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Before you get to worked up shoot it I'll bet it shoots just fine.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Copper is gone after using JB Bore Paste and Kroil.Hard to get good detailed pictures with the Teslong if the bore is really clean and shiny.You get a lot of reflection,but you can still see good.
Before
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

After

Last edited by baldhunter; 12/25/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by wink_man
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Does it shoot poorly? Why is it essential to have every nano-ounce of copper out of the bore?

Have not shot it yet PA, I just got the gun the other day.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Yes rust but not that bad

Yes, not to bad. I used a nylon brush as Shooters Choice tends to eat up phosphor bronze brushes quickly.
I should be able to get it out with a phosphor bronze brush soaked in Kroil.

And the borescope will let me know, I was surprised how nice of a picture it gets you, a lot of borescope for the price.

I've occasionally bought new rifles on line that had some surface rust, evidently from being in a box without oil for a long time. I would soak it with "Liquid Wrench" or "Navel Jelly" to clean out the rust.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Absolutely WOW. Those images are fantastic.

A decent borescope for < $50! Reminds me of when the Shooting Chrony first became available.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Copper is gone after using JB Bore Paste and Kroil.Hard to get good detailed pictures with the Teslong if the bore is really clean and shiny.You get a lot of reflection,but you can still see good.
Before

After

That has been exactly the same as my results when using JB, and it gets rid of the hard caked-on carbon fouling as well. I only use nylon brushes to wrap the patch around too.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Before

After

Now I can see why the copper pattern runs down the lands. It may be that little bit of roughness on the edges of the lands. That looks like a good barrel and one that has been lapped but maybe they didn't lap it thoroughly enough. This is the reason I am hesitant to get a bore scope, I would obsess over minutiae.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tejano
Before

After

Now I can see why the copper pattern runs down the lands. It may be that little bit of roughness on the edges of the lands. That looks like a good barrel and one that has been lapped but maybe they didn't lap it thoroughly enough. This is the reason I am hesitant to get a bore scope, I would obsess over minutiae.

This is a Remington 700 Stainless Steel 7mag Long Range barrel.It shoots really good and I can see why.It's a very good barrel for a factory rifle.

Last edited by baldhunter; 12/26/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I must have one of these scopes. Ordered. Pretty sure I’ll have to have some perfectly acceptable targets shot by my rifles right next to them while checking things out however, just to maintain proper perspective about flaws I’m sure to see.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The biggest disappointment of most new bore-scope owners is usually the inability to judge a barrel's potential accuracy from the view. You'll finding many rough-looking barrels, whether due to machining, wear or corrosion, that shoot pretty well or even great--and some great-looking bores that don't shoot very well at all.

I've had a bore-scope for at least 15 years now, and the two biggest kind of help it has provided are checking out how well various cleaning products work, and the progress made when shooting "bore-lapping" bullets to eliminate the roughness of an eroded throat.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whether it's rust or copper in the Marlin one of the bore foams should knock it out in short order.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I cleaned a friends .303 Smelly one time, back when Barnes CR10 came out ( gosh, 25yrs ago or so?) anyhow. I kept getting dirty patches, then finally, orange rust. The entire bore was rusty. The lands were very prominent though. I took it and some Federal Blue Box 150gr and after about 10 fouling shots, it started tightening up its groups. Halfway through the 2nd box it finally began to shoot way, way under an inch!!! ha I had one, 3 shot cloverleaf! I told him to keep using it, and don't worry about it. smile I shot some corrosive surplus 8x57 in a battlefield pick up Nazi '98 Mauser. It too had a rusty bore, and shot like a dream, ha! I think rust bothers more "Drill Sgts" more than most hunters! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 12/28/19.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The biggest disappointment of most new bore-scope owners is usually the inability to judge a barrel's potential accuracy from the view. You'll finding many rough-looking barrels, whether due to machining, wear or corrosion, that shoot pretty well or even great--and some great-looking bores that don't shoot very well at all.

I've had a bore-scope for at least 15 years now, and the two biggest kind of help it has provided are checking out how well various cleaning products work, and the progress made when shooting "bore-lapping" bullets to eliminate the roughness of an eroded throat.

Exactly.

Watching wear progress or checking cleanliness is a good thing & a bore scope can be handy. A lot of views at a lot of different bore conditions will be needed, but it's still guessing as opposed to shooting.

When the Hawkeye was first coming on the scene someone had one at the Supershoot one year & a friend of mine let them check his PPC. They said his barrel was totaled.

He won a yardage or the agg that year with that barrel.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I'm not concerned with the accuracy of this gun, or the others, this was my first experience with a borescope and wasn't sure what to expect. I would definitely have to shoot it or any other gun to draw such a conclusion as to accuracy.

I would say what I'm disappointed in is my abilty to clean a barrel that I thought I had cleaned immaculate. It has opened my eyes to the fact that I need a stronger copper remover on some of my others guns and that JB Bore Paste would be necessary in some cases. I even found copper in 2 new unfired guns that I had cleaned with Shooters Choice.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have used a borescope many times. We had multiple in our shop. I didn't own any of those so lost access once I retired.

Based on this thread, I ordered one of the Teslong borescopes. It arrived today and I tried it out.

I have to say, for the price, I am very impressed. Well worth the money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BufordBoone
I have used a borescope many times. We had multiple in our shop. I didn't own any of those so lost access once I retired.

Based on this thread, I ordered one of the Teslong borescopes. It arrived today and I tried it out.

I have to say, for the price, I am very impressed. Well worth the money.

Out of curiosity, did it come in a carrying case? If it did, what are the dimensions of the case?

The reason I ask is that I received notification from Teslong a month or two ago that they advise not using the case that came with the "early versions" of the borescope because it causes a breakdown of some kind in the cable...the case that came with them is too small and necessitates winding the cable up too tight, causing the breakage. Unfortunately, I do not know whether my borescope was one of those shipped with a case that was too small, so I am curious as to the dimensions of the case they are shipping with the borescope these days.

Thanks.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mine the semi rigid model was in a cardboard box (9x9) Works well enough for storage.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got mine 3-4 months ago, came in a zippered, 5 3/4 x 7" case. Don't know if this is the too small case or not.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Mine came in a cardboard box, probably the same as smithrjd. The directions advise not coiling the scope cable tightly.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Hit Amazon today, got one on the way.

Really curious to see how much gator skin I have created. And it will be good to know when the barrel really is clean enough to apply UBC.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Installation was simple. I use a Mac. I plugged it in, opened the "Photo Booth" program (always wondered what that program was for) and it was on.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,197
Posts18,524,088
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.