-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't forget some 200 grain Sierra FP bullets loaded lite for grouse loads.

LOL
GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Gorgeous rifle! Heavier barrels notwithstanding they feel so lively and well balanced in your hands. I’d gladly own one. Interesting to know that the forearm screw was still utilized on the heavier barrel contour.

Cast loads in the 375 is great, cheap, fun shooting.

Nice purchase!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
It’s definitely a darned nice hunting rifle in an awesome cartridge. Might be fun to load up some RL15 and 260 Partitions just to form some cases with. Get a feel for the sights.

I may have a Peep too if you need one.

I’d already have called Darcy for a Legend myself grin

Ha ha. I know you would have. Im tempted. How much is he charging for a stock these days?

600 the last time I ordered one.

Dang, thats not bad Scotty.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Don't forget some 200 grain Sierra FP bullets loaded lite for grouse loads.

Now, i like that idea.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice.

I'd sure Steel Bed the recoil lug if I was going to use it.

A Legend is really nice, had one on a .404J I built using a SS 300 RUM donor.

DF

Bottom gun.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It’s definitely a darned nice hunting rifle in an awesome cartridge. Might be fun to load up some RL15 and 260 Partitions just to form some cases with. Get a feel for the sights.

I may have a Peep too if you need one.

I’d already have called Darcy for a Legend myself grin

Ha ha. I know you would have. Im tempted. How much is he charging for a stock these days?

600 the last time I ordered one.

Dang, thats not bad Scotty.

They are pretty pricey but for me, on a rifle that’s got some recoil they work really well and it’s worth it for me to pay the piper and know I’ve got what works.

I ordered one of the Bridges stocks for my 7mm WSM. I’m kinda hoping I like it since they are a scaled down version of the Legend to my eye and should be better fits for smaller, Featherweight sorta set ups that aren’t big recoilers.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And DF, that 404 is a sweetheart!

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
And DF, that 404 is a sweetheart!

Thanks.

I Steel Bedded it in a std. fill Legend. McM, who makes the Legend for D'Arcy Echols, wants big boomers in mag fill. D'Arcy said std fill would work and he was right. He did install cross pins. Those and the Steel Bed assures it's not going anywhere.

In the std. M-70 wood stock, those can have problems with heavy recoiling rifles if you shoot one enough. Steel Bed will just about assure they hold together, don't split or whatever.

The Legend is made for irons and scope, sort of a compromise. I found that I had to really get down on the comb to see the irons. So, IMO, the comb is a tad high for irons, but will work in a pinch. Seems to me about ideal for a low mounted scope. It's a fast handling stock, about as perfect as one could ask for in a M-70. It's D'Arcy's design. McM can't sell it direct. Call him, he's very helpful and loves to talk about guns.

DF

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Darn nice rifles there Dirtfarmer!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

They are pretty pricey but for me, on a rifle that’s got some recoil they work really well and it’s worth it for me to pay the piper and know I’ve got what works.

I ordered one of the Bridges stocks for my 7mm WSM. I’m kinda hoping I like it since they are a scaled down version of the Legend to my eye and should be better fits for smaller, Featherweight sorta set ups that aren’t big recoilers.

Agreed.
I’m interested in hearing more about your opinion and others as well on the Bridges stock. They look very similar to me as well. The Legend is too big for a featherweight in my opinion. And really comes into it’s own with a fatter tube. #3 or larger for me. But I’m tempted on a standard sporter or magnum factory contour.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jkinpa
Darn nice rifles there Dirtfarmer!

Thanks, again.

Top one is an AHR custom CZ in 9.3x62 (almost a .375)... wink And, a real shooter. Here are a couple of targets, same load.

I know, I know... three shot groups. But it does give one an idea of the potential. JB's loads really work.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Very nice!!!!

Molon Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jkinpa

Agreed.
I’m interested in hearing more about your opinion and others as well on the Bridges stock. They look very similar to me as well. The Legend is too big for a featherweight in my opinion. And really comes into it’s own with a fatter tube. #3 or larger for me. But I’m tempted on a standard sporter or magnum factory contour.

From what ive heard, the grip is cramped, as compared to the legend. I have pretty big mitts, so just by looking at one, i dont think it would fit me well. Im wondering what Scotties opinion is regarding that stock, as well.. keep us posted beretz.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice grab. I would add a steel receiver sight and call it good. Those older rifles belong with their older stocks imho. The inletting is usually perfect as a skilled human did the final fitting.

If you decide to grab a synthetic stock for hunting, don’t overlook the Supergrade. It really shines with heavier barrels. I have owned two 375’s with this stock, one of which I primarily ran a receiver sight on. It worked well, but the receiver sight would sit on top of the steel warne base, so little taller than usual. Comb height worked well though.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by TomM1
Nice grab. I would add a steel receiver sight and call it good. Those older rifles belong with their older stocks imho. The inletting is usually perfect as a skilled human did the final fitting.

If you decide to grab a synthetic stock for hunting, don’t overlook the Supergrade. It really shines with heavier barrels. I have owned two 375’s with this stock, one of which I primarily ran a receiver sight on. It worked well, but the receiver sight would sit on top of the steel warne base, so little taller than usual. Comb height worked well though.

Good advice on the stock. That was my go to prior to being able to get my mitts on a Legend.

One thing that I’ve noticed, the McMillan and Echols site are stating the 300wm being the largest recommendation for the edge filled stocks. I think that’s changed since my last build. It has been a while, about 10 yrs or so. But I had a 338wm in an edge filled Supergrade and pretty sure it was a 338wm max at the time for the edges. I never had an issue.

Anyone know for sure on this?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I’d go std fill.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I’d go std fill.

DF

Yeah, definitely.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Agreed for your 375

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have a picture of a Legend and Bridges side by side and to me, the Bridges seems like a very open grip, almost stalker'ish sorta open. It'll be awhile till I get mine, but I am looking forward to it.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Keep us posted Scotty.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

210 members (222ND, 270wsmnutt, 12344mag, 44mc, 160user, 1936M71, 23 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,645
Posts18,533,746
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.